Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

For melee weapons fire weapons would overwrite any other existing effect. Dunno about arrows but you could test easily in a debug game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Fires from afar is definitely not worth a gently caress

Absum
May 28, 2013

FnF posted:

The globals-board in ChunkyPanty this turn :

I (EA Ermor) don't know how I managed to get to this point, it's been a strange ride. Atlantis will presumably cast a 999-gem one right over it next turn, but at least I get to bask in my one turn of preposterous glory :v:

I've been making my own angry waters and putting them in bottles so I'd have to save up first. I also want you to keep it anyway because the more issues Boing has with you the longer I have to hang around and do nothing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

It maybe has situational use if you are playing someone really bad who puts a single indie Scout in a province to build a fort right next to you?

But yes otherwise abysmal garbage.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I roasted a vaetti research stack with it as Marignon once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jsoh posted:

yeah but that's the evoc 3 one. i was curious about the evoc 9 one. my assumption is that it's still not worth much, but for evoc 9 it's gotta be worth something, right?

right...?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah but that's the evoc 3 one. i was curious about the evoc 9 one. my assumption is that it's still not worth much, but for evoc 9 it's gotta be worth something, right?

right...?

It is still powerfully rear end. Both those spells should cost like a fifth of their current gem cost, and even then they would be kinda mediocre. OTOH Murdering Winter would actually be pretty ok if it didn't cost loving 50 gems; in Cold 3 it's pretty likely to kill a good third of your target's chaff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at least evoc 9 gets me flame storm

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

right...?

It's a spell for when you're rolling in gems and don't feel like dealing with enemy armies anymore during the victory lap.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Those spells are hella useful in specific situations and that's just fine. Situationally spending 30-50 gems to win a single huge fight is really useful and comes up from time to time! Since there's no real defense against them I've been happy with their performance thus far but maybe I don't expect much from my gems.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

It maybe has situational use if you are playing someone really bad who puts a single indie Scout in a province to build a fort right next to you?

But yes otherwise abysmal garbage.

I think it's one of those spells can have a better % of hitting the more enemies there are in a province, so if there is only a scout, will not miss?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Enjoy posted:

The other water throne was only 3 provinces away from me.

Yeah, but you'd have to fight Fomoria for that land - and it was only a 1-pointer.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, but you'd have to fight Fomoria for that land - and it was only a 1-pointer.

Which was the other 2 point throne?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Keep mind that units heal at end of turn so if you can pin down army movement it can soften them up.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Enjoy posted:

Which was the other 2 point throne?

The one sitting in the middle of my land and the one in Ulm's land were both 2 pointers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

I roasted a vaetti research stack with it as Marignon once.

Ok this is a really good use.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Corbeau posted:

The one sitting in the middle of my land and the one in Ulm's land were both 2 pointers.

In that case after I took the second sea throne I probably would have taken Abysia's throne, it was adjacent to me

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Those spells are hella useful in specific situations and that's just fine. Situationally spending 30-50 gems to win a single huge fight is really useful and comes up from time to time! Since there's no real defense against them I've been happy with their performance thus far but maybe I don't expect much from my gems.

Yeah murdering winter and flames from the sky (mostly winter due to not insane research requirements) are really good spells if used at the right time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The only problem is that you typically have to prime the murdering winter with the wolven winter and that'll let your target know what's about to happen

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Enjoy posted:

In that case after I took the second sea throne I probably would have taken Abysia's throne, it was adjacent to me

The one that Fomoria was sieging?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Corbeau posted:

The one that Fomoria was sieging?

Yep

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Might have worked, though it'd still have been tough to take him on.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Were the thrones unforted? I would assume waters were but were the land ones as well? Once you get further into the game you should always fort all of your thrones to give yourself at least one free turn to respond if someone rushes your thrones.

Ulm's throne was unforted - I don't know why - and the underwater thrones were unforted. Abysia's eastern throne only had a Palisade because it had belonged to Marverni, so it was quick to take.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 23, 2015

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kitfox88 posted:

The only problem is that you typically have to prime the murdering winter with the wolven winter and that'll let your target know what's about to happen

You could also prep it with trillwinter

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Thanks for the awesome guidance about my Ulm disciples game. What do people like for a pretender chassis for them? I read about Vampire Queens or Hags, but I wasnt sure if any of the new ones may work as well.

Good Eye Closed
Feb 11, 2005

Corbeau posted:

I can only imagine that he relied much less on combat mages than we did.

To take out Mictlan and to kick off my truly stupid war with Abysia I relied on Fomorian Kings coupled with piles of Fomorian druids, with Fomorian Kings casting storm, wailing winds, living clouds, shadow blast, etc. and druids t-striking. I also raided with mages, including cloud-trapezing, air-elemental-casting druids in the Mictlan era while perpetual storm was up (not stealth troops). I just had enormous numbers of Fomorian druids (maybe ~130 [edit:160 at the end of the game], along with a bunch of Kings, some sorceresses, and a bunch of summoned mages, including briefly a water queen and air queen), and managed to give many of them imp familiars and/or quills after I got earth gems for a hammer from you. I was extremely dumb strategically and thought I had more time before I needed to worry about thrones; I wanted Abysia's High Temple of the Magii. I was a couple turns away from casting Vengeful Waters and figured I would go hunting after thrones afterwards. I don't know why knowing that the only things contesting you in the south being AI Ur, turn-5 AI Ermor, and Ulm didn't raise any red flags in my mind; I'd like to blame sleep deprivation, but I think I'm just bad. I think if I had been less dumb I could have kept you off of at the least the northern underwater throne and forted it with living castle, and maybe eventually ground out a win.

Anyway, again, congratulations!

Edit: Spending hours lovingly crafting a raid on many of Abysia's provinces at once, seeing it more or less work, and realizing the same turn I had probably just lost after seeing you claim those thrones was certainly a learning experience.

Edit 2: Not getting a scout province until I took out Mictlan was annoying, and maybe scouting you out earlier would have helped, but probably not.

Good Eye Closed fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 24, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Chairman Pow! posted:

Thanks for the awesome guidance about my Ulm disciples game. What do people like for a pretender chassis for them? I read about Vampire Queens or Hags, but I wasnt sure if any of the new ones may work as well.

Are you going to be the pretender or the disciple?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fires from afar is a good way to screw up someone's carefully planned communion before an important battle, a couple dead theurgs will make a big difference

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Speleothing posted:

Are you going to be the pretender or the disciple?

I will be the pretender. Pool of blood looks tempting, but I have always heard you shouldn't blood hunt in your capital. It looks like I want a rainbow mage to get blood/death/astral plus some growth scales to support my blood economy

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Chairman Pow! posted:

I will be the pretender. Pool of blood looks tempting, but I have always heard you shouldn't blood hunt in your capital. It looks like I want a rainbow mage to get blood/death/astral plus some growth scales to support my blood economy

You can get away with it under growth scales (to replenish pop) as long as you have plenty of cheap mans to patrol the unrest away (otherwise your income takes a huge hit).

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Chairman Pow! posted:

Once you are blood hunting in earnest money is way less important. I always hunt my cap because who gives a drat when your economy is based on vampires.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chairman Pow! posted:

Take astral, teleport that fucker out? You'll have labs everywhere anyway, because illuminati are awesome.

Maybe try something like:

Gets you order3/growth3, rings of sorcery/wizardry and enough death/blood for vampire counts/lords. Taking it dormant will let you take better dominion and magic, and if you dedicate a few second tier mages to blood hunting straight away you can pop your first count as he awakens. Adjust to taste, obviously. You could probably get away with S6, since with a little bit of luck and loving around your priests can forge crystal coins.

Caveat. I'm pretty poo poo, and have never played multiplayer yet. Take with grain of salt.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

^^^ Go for s5 or s6, rings of wizardry are worth less than better scales, and crystal coins are easy to get with Black Priests. In fact you probably want b4/b5 in order to forge blood thorns and brazen vessels ^^^

Chairman Pow! posted:

You won't be able to rainbow easily as the Pretender: all the humans are disciples.

I'm thinking either Idol of Sorcery or Allfather, probably dormant but that depends on how much your partner wants his SC turn 1 vs turn 6-8. Allfather opens up the A minor bless, realistically the only one that matters to your priests.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 24, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Okay, how about this?

Extra dom so you can abuse your immortal vamps easier, more scales and S5D5B5. Loses innate spellcaster, but gets immortality and the ability to wear a shiny hat.

With an astral cap, crystal coin and ring of sorcery you can still hit S8. Ulm's mages only have 1 point in a lot of paths, so I thought S8 for wizardry might be good for diversity. I'm not sure how relevant that is for multiplayer though, from reading the threads here they don't seem to last that long.

I'm also not sure on the sloth. Ulm's high resource troops look pretty niche to me.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Don't get sloth 3 on Ulm. The Rangers may be your most common unit, but your Pikeneers are a bread-and-butter unit even into the lategame.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

You can get away with it under growth scales (to replenish pop) as long as you have plenty of cheap mans to patrol the unrest away (otherwise your income takes a huge hit).

Income comes before the unrest gets patrolled down. You take the hit either way, which is why you hunt your lower prop provinces first generally. Later just hunt everything because who cares.

Also you don't need anything on an ulm god except a thing that can cast Sanguine Heritage and is either awake or asleep. Strong dom is also helpful particularly in disciples if you have a blood sac friend.

Some sloth is risky if you need to make guardians early and it makes it hard to make blockers for your rangers (though rangers blocked by more rangers works because they hit so loving hard)

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 24, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Your job as Ulm is to summon vampires early and often. You probably want to take an awake god that can summon vampires and blood hunt to get to the first vampire. You really should be the disciple.

Your god needs to be able to:

1. Blood Hunt
2. Summon Vamps
3. Make Blood Boosters to help with horrorspamming
4. Maybe Cast Astral Corruption (can empower up a scrub to do this if needed)

So blood and death are essential and nature/astral are solid as well. Personally I like blood/death/nature for ability to make thorn armour. You're better as a disciple than a pretender since these things go counter to helping your team with good scales and poo poo but w/e

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 24, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Your job as Ulm is to summon vampires early and often. You probably want to take an awake god that can summon vampires and blood hunt to get to the first vampire. You really should be the disciple.

Your god needs to be able to:

1. Blood Hunt
2. Summon Vamps
3. Make Blood Boosters to help with horrorspamming
4. Maybe Cast Astral Corruption (can empower up a scrub to do this if needed)

So blood and death are essential and nature/astral are solid as well. Personally I like blood/death/nature for ability to make thorn armour. You're better as a disciple than a pretender since these things go counter to helping your team with good scales and poo poo but w/e

With the VQ discounted for Ulm you really should be a disciple for sure. Let Midgard or someone else be the god and take something asleep so you get your VQ (ideally with D5 for fear, B4 or 3 and something else at 2 or 3). By the time she wakes up mid year1, you can slap on some blacksteel and send her around taking out any difficult indies that are still up in your dominion. Or just suicide her into them until she wins though I prefer just giving her trinkets which vastly increases chances of success.

Later, having an immortal D5 flying vampire disciple will be extremely valuable on defense and your opponents will undoubtably grow to hate her.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 24, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

879 kills in a single battle, wow.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

tooterfish posted:

Okay, how about this?

Extra dom so you can abuse your immortal vamps easier, more scales and S5D5B5. Loses innate spellcaster, but gets immortality and the ability to wear a shiny hat.

With an astral cap, crystal coin and ring of sorcery you can still hit S8. Ulm's mages only have 1 point in a lot of paths, so I thought S8 for wizardry might be good for diversity. I'm not sure how relevant that is for multiplayer though, from reading the threads here they don't seem to last that long.

I'm also not sure on the sloth. Ulm's high resource troops look pretty niche to me.

Dont take blood on a pretender for a blood nation, its a waste of points unless you want a blood bless. Try a regular lich with astral and death magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Diabl0658 posted:

Dont take blood on a pretender for a blood nation, its a waste of points unless you want a blood bless. Try a regular lich with astral and death magic.

Doesn't Ulm really like having blood/death on a pretender so they can get their vamps out quickly? Technically you can set it up later after empowerment, but that'll cost quite a bit of time and resources.

• Locked thread