Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Do you guys already have really high level perks unlocked? I can't imagine doing the higher difficulties presently with low perks. I've played the game 10 hours in the few days it's been out and my highest perk is Level 5. I don't know how people are getting up so high already in some of my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The big difficulty change is the animations. Enemies duck and weave all over. Looks great but can be jarring to hit something that doesn't sit still.

Also I find bullets travel too slowly. I don't need hitscan levels of gunplay but making bullets travel slightly faster would mitigate a few of the issues.

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

randombattle posted:

Medic having a better version of guns from every class except berserker definitely helps it be awesome.

I was pleasantly surprised by this (the medic having a good selection of weapons)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Can I confirm how the boss fight works? You shoot him, he changes colour and is then invincible until he grabs and heals. After 3 heals you can kill him properly. Is this right? I'm with a group of pubbies who are so convinced you shouldn't ever be grabbed that I'm beginning to doubt myself.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
open 104.156.246.12:7777 pw lljk for Suicidal attempts

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MooCowlian posted:

Can I confirm how the boss fight works? You shoot him, he changes colour and is then invincible until he grabs and heals. After 3 heals you can kill him properly. Is this right? I'm with a group of pubbies who are so convinced you shouldn't ever be grabbed that I'm beginning to doubt myself.

All of that, plus he is invincible during the time when he is chasing you down for a person to leech off of. So you are just wasting ammo by kiting him during that

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Well, I guess I'm glad I just spent five minutes watching people run in circles wasting their ammo on him then.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

MooCowlian posted:

Check this out it was extremely helpful for me to understand the mechanics:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430682679

It sounds like what your group was trying was a valid method of killing the boss, but I've not yet seen it pulled off successfully and it seems like the much more difficult / higher coordination required way to fight him.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

MooCowlian posted:

Well, I guess I'm glad I just spent five minutes watching people run in circles wasting their ammo on him then.

Yeah a lot of people are stuck in the mindset that the first KF boss used, where if you simply pumped enough damage quickly you could skip the heals. Hans is going to heal to full 3 times no matter what, he's basically the opposite of the Patriarch design-wise.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Can I get a GIF of the scrake doing his call out and fist pump? tia

RocketSurgery
Feb 11, 2009

Penpal posted:

Killing Floor 2 Graphical bug: https://youtu.be/f5MiIlTfJpU

I recorded this myself last night with my phone, didn't have any recording software installed. My 7970 is fine, worked well in KF2 before this glitch, and a game restart fixed it. It started sudddenly on the Lab map after some grenades were tossed.

edit: forgot to mention it happened to my bro, too, we both have 7970's and were in the same match.

ok glad this isnt just me, I had this happen to me once and I thought i was having a seizure or something

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

MadBimber posted:

Can I get a GIF of the scrake doing his call out and fist pump? tia

I love this animation btw, it's so intimidating when it's pointed at you.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 31, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm loving the hell out of KF2, but I'm just gonna say it: The boss is dumb. His mechanics are really awkward, his animations look bad and glitchy, and the fact that he's invulnerable half the time and will ALWAYS go through a very specific set of actions in a fight is just really stupid. He's just plain not fun to fight.

At this point I'm just playing at difficulties where the waves are super hard to survive through, and ignoring him at the end. It's just not even fun to fight him at all, and the difficulty gap between the waves and him is way too large. The patriarch was lame in KF1 as well, amazingly this guy seems even more dumb.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Geight posted:

I love this animation btw, it's so intimidating when it's pointed at you.

First time I saw a scrake on hard, I turned a corner and he just pointed at me. Then he pirouetted me to death. I think it's my favorite animation in the game so far.

LynetteHimeko
Dec 30, 2014

"My life was just like running in the darkness with only light of moon. I was just moving forward according with what I believe is right in Sengoku."
open 104.156.246.12:7777 - suicidal attempts. At 4 people right now.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'll agree with some of what's been said about the boss. The invulnerability phases aren't really communicated to the player, getting one shot by gas grenades is lame, and I only learned about the "three heals" thing from this thread this morning. He's just not much fun to fight.

MadBimber posted:

First time I saw a scrake on hard, I turned a corner and he just pointed at me. Then he pirouetted me to death. I think it's my favorite animation in the game so far.

The scrake's callout point is tied for me with the clot's zombie stomp. This game has great animations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The three heal part seems kind of obvious with how damaged he gets, it's the invuln/85% Damage Resist that isn't communicated at all. I'm sure that will be the first major change to Hans, is making that part obvious to the players.

Also I find Hans more interesting than the Patriarch because he can't be instagibbed, but for me the meat and potatoes of KF has always been the waves, not the boss.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

I'll agree with some of what's been said about the boss. The invulnerability phases aren't really communicated to the player, getting one shot by gas grenades is lame, and I only learned about the "three heals" thing from this thread this morning. He's just not much fun to fight.

The scrake's callout point is tied for me with the clot's zombie stomp. This game has great animations.

Yeah, the clot's new powerwalk is great, it always makes me chuckle when I see it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

So, with the medic's Enforcer skill, you can get more ammo from pickups than you can buy. This messes with the ammo prices in the shop.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Reallycoolname posted:

So, like, did one of the dev's nephew come up with the quit screen taunt?

My uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed it.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Peewi posted:

So, with the medic's Enforcer skill, you can get more ammo from pickups than you can buy. This messes with the ammo prices in the shop.

I had this happen on Support once too.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the clot's new powerwalk is great, it always makes me chuckle when I see it.

This was mentioned to me on the first hour of playtime in the beta and since then i've never been able to unsee it

I'm not complaining, it's been improving my hardcore zombie invasion simulator experience significantly!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

From a server I was on the other day. If you're looking to understand why this boss is such a motherfucker, look no further. 6 man on Hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M67aIEr2sE

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even if you don't count, he yells each heal about a new attack or after three, "NOW YOU SHALL SEE MY TRUE FORM!" Also his color/lighting indicates the phase, not overall damage. Especially nice because the small touches like sparks and blood leaking are lost in the action.

Maybe make his glow/lighting a completely new color when he's invul/85% so he had a tell. Bright blue or gold or something. Maybe even make shots visibly bounce off? I'm not certain how you can effectively communicate visually, "Your shots aren't doing much right now."

As for fighting him, I do find him fun enough when you get a team that knows what's up. He has set patterns and such and he CAN get you but smart play can leap from the jaws of death at the last harrowing second too. I still maintain he was balanced for levels 8-15 on normal. That seems to be the sweet spot of a 50-50 win rate.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fina posted:

I had this happen on Support once too.
Was it when you first got the +ammo perk? It happened to me when I first levelled up to rank 5 and it gave the ammo perk which didn't change the total amount of ammo in my pump-action, but I could pick up ammo from boxes to the correct amount and every gun I bought after had the correct amount. I fixed the issue by dropping and picking my shotgun back up with backspace. I haven't bothered to test it yet but I imagine the problem also happens if you switch from supplier to the +ammo perk mid-match.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I assume that the smoke grenades are supposed to be a signal to stop shooting him, but honestly there aren't many situations in this game that aren't solved by pouring lead into them so it might even take some sort of boss Stat sheet to communicate the phases

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Peewi posted:

All the bonus health/armor/ammo perks seem to have similar issues. Sometimes they just don't work properly and you can't get the bonuses.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think everyone is aware how hans works now and if you are playing with pubbies and don't tell them then you deserve what you get.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Even if you don't count, he yells each heal about a new attack or after three, "NOW YOU SHALL SEE MY TRUE FORM!" Also his color/lighting indicates the phase, not overall damage. Especially nice because the small touches like sparks and blood leaking are lost in the action.

Maybe make his glow/lighting a completely new color when he's invul/85% so he had a tell. Bright blue or gold or something. Maybe even make shots visibly bounce off? I'm not certain how you can effectively communicate visually, "Your shots aren't doing much right now."

A visible health bar somewhere would do it. Bosses are always problematic because it's hard to tell how much damage you're doing and bosses that also have multiple phases are even worse. A segmented health bar visible to everyone solves everything.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Tripwire responded to the EULA silliness people were upset about.

I think it's pretty well meaning response. But people are still complaining.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 24, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i think scrakes are extra mean at the moment cause we don't have sharpshooters or the crossbow so there's no great way to shut em down fast

Right now the best way to deal with them is to have a zerk parry it then circle it endlessly while smashing it with your hammer, problem is the zerk needs both space and people to keep the trash of him, on hard or above its a generally a good idea to just kite them till its just the scrakes left, have the team draw agroo from them to space them apart then handle them one at a time.

quote:

Do you guys already have really high level perks unlocked? I can't imagine doing the higher difficulties presently with low perks. I've played the game 10 hours in the few days it's been out and my highest perk is Level 5. I don't know how people are getting up so high already in some of my games.

Its calling having no life, I say this as a no life haver myself who's zerker is at 14 already and I'm probably going to try to hit 16 tonight.

Really need to hop on the goon servers for some fun times.

And yea the complaints over the EULA thing was just dumb, every single online game has poo poo like that seriously its not a hard concept to grasp, don't be an rear end in a top hat and your toys won't get taken away.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sadly, that is likely way too much text for the attention span of people who actually, seriously got up in arms over that. But good on them for trying.

Joined my first public game yesterday, it had 3 people shouting human being and friend of the family over voice coms and we predictably got nuked on the boss. In related news i now wish the game had animation to burn your cash right in front of someone begging for it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^really? pubbies have been really cool so far. Been having some good suicidal games with them. People seem really willing to cooperate.

DatonKallandor posted:

A visible health bar somewhere would do it. Bosses are always problematic because it's hard to tell how much damage you're doing and bosses that also have multiple phases are even worse. A segmented health bar visible to everyone solves everything.

You're not supposed to know health bars unless you're a commando. I'm not sure why people are trying to make the game easier when they are perk level 3.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The only thing I've gotten aggravated about so far is when I'm doing an excellent job healing everyone on a Medic and I still got some random jerkoff over comms going "I NEED HEALS I NEED HEALS RIGHT NOW".

First off, you want heals you don't need heals. Second off, you are getting heals, you don't need to ask for heals, and third you need to position and wave control better.

Like I flawlessly healed two straight clean 7 wave boss killing games and in a third game I still had this same guy melting down about heals at least once every other round. Calm your tits only guy who's died at all.

I've cleanly tanked multi-FP/scrake waves on Berserker without even getting heals and I wasn't stroking out my team over comms about it. And when I died I pretty much knew why every time (because I had made a mistake). Everyone blames heals, games never change.

Patterson
Apr 9, 2011
So if you're having an issue where the game crashes after the splash screen, try running it in windowed mode. Had that issue come up when I switched video cards last night. I'm not sure if anyone is keeping up with some of the issues and workarounds that have been posted, but if we could get them on the OP then that would be awesome. There seems just to be a few issues here and there right now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The most pubbietacular thing I've seen so far was having to tell somebody "Try pressing Q" after watching them run around on the opposite side of the map from Hans for a solid minute at half health. The smokebombs are a nice indicator IF you already know the gimmick, but it's easy to miss them if you are not looking right at him when he does it because they go away pretty fast.

Admittedly I've been mostly reading about the game since I've only been playing in small doses at a time. I finally have level 5 support and commando whoo! :downs: I've hit level 3 Medic, I love picking up the medic SMG at the end after I have the bullpup and SCAR (I'm not super pro enough to afford an AK, Scar, and SMG usually).

All of my Deaths to hans so far have been, after many many times of breaking off to heal at 80 health just fine, suddenly going from 80 to dead in an instant from his guns. I've yet to die to his gas or grenades, but then I also play on normal like a baby. I suspect my liking of commando would change on higher difficulties that throw more scrakes and fleshpounds at you but I actually like commando this time around.

I think the only thing keeping me from trying out medic proper is I prefer shooting things to ensuring people are topped up on health 24/7, as much as I whip out my SMG on the commando during hans to dart people.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ramsus posted:

^^really? pubbies have been really cool so far. Been having some good suicidal games with them. People seem really willing to cooperate.
This was on normal and my sample size is obviously not statistically significant, so i'm taking it with a huge grain of salt.

But yeah i was mostly surprised because in the KF1 public games i remember seeing a lot less of that stereotypical crap.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
ugh, final phase hans suicidal, so close!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I have no idea why ~Goon Floor 2~ disappeared from the browser list but I'm reinstalling the server right now and fixing the settings, gonna throw it back on Hard 10 and hope it updates.

edit: Yup, reinstall fixed it. It's up as a public server now, I think disabling player collision removed it from the official list lmao.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2015