Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

ZeusCannon posted:

Its less that the FF8 Gilgamesh wasn't cool (I still dig the weird prosthetic arms) it's more that you look at any video game thing and now there is always all this loving strange rear end over complicated back story. Why can't he just be a cool summon? Instead he has to be the brother of the mailman of FF1 who went on to be the main recurring villain in FF2 who fell in love with his twins doubles cousins favorite dog in FF6.

It's like the star wars prequels all over again where everyone knew everybody and there are like 10 actual characters in a cast that seems to number hundreds. I can't make this connection really make sense its just the first place my mind goes when you talk about needlessly shoehorning in repeating characters.

:goonsay:

I don't know why but I figured Greg was like a Final Fantasy Roland from the Dark Tower traversing the different planes of existence searching for the Dark Tower most powerful weapon in the universe. I don't think he is supposed to be connected in the over elaborate fashion you mentioned.

Also he has awesome theme music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gilgamesh doesn't have a complicated backstory, he worked for ExDeath in 5 and then was transported out of his universe when ExDeath created his void dimension so he's been wandering the Final Fantasy universes ever since.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

m.hache posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way to beat the Ruby Weapon was cast Knights of the Round for over an hour straight.

Dazers. ????.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

he worked for someone in 5 and then was transported, so he's been wandering the universes ever since.

When you put it that way it isn't as annoying.

I am just gonna chalk this up as an irrational thing and come back to it later.

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Apr 24, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

It's been a while since I've played so I'm not quite sure what this means.

All I remember is going into the fight with 2 of your party members dead, junctioning HP Restore to KotR, targeting the tentacles behind your party member with KOTR and using MIME over and over and over until dead.

Kotr would kill the tentacles, then go back to the Ruby Weapon. You couldn't get 1 shot if you had 9999 HP and KotR would heal you to full. I just put my auto controller on and walked away.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

m.hache posted:

It's been a while since I've played so I'm not quite sure what this means.

Dazers inflict Paralyze, and Ruby WEAPON is vulnerable to paralysis. The tentacles don't act on their own so you're free to beat on Ruby itself. ???? deals damage equal to lost HP and by being fixed, it avoids Ruby's massive defenses.

I mean you can KoTR anyway, if you want. It might be faster.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

m.hache posted:

Kotr would kill the tentacles, then go back to the Ruby Weapon. You couldn't get 1 shot if you had 9999 HP and KotR would heal you to full. I just put my auto controller on and walked away.

Sort of like the Yiazmat fight in XII. The gambit system let you effectively program your characters to respond to any relevant scenarios automatically, so the way to beat the ultimate optional boss was basically to set up the gambit system in a specific way, start the fight, then come back about an hour later when it was finally dead.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dazers inflict Paralyze, and Ruby WEAPON is vulnerable to paralysis. The tentacles don't act on their own so you're free to beat on Ruby itself. ???? deals damage equal to lost HP and by being fixed, it avoids Ruby's massive defenses.

I mean you can KoTR anyway, if you want. It might be faster.

Ah.

I remember having to read up on how to beat Ruby and that's what I came across. I thought it was funny because the reward for killing him was a gold rose or something that gave you the chocobo that could run on water. It's sole purpose was to get to the island where you got KotR.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Accordion Man posted:

Gilgamesh doesn't have a complicated backstory, he worked for ExDeath in 5 and then was transported out of his universe when ExDeath created his void dimension so he's been wandering the Final Fantasy universes ever since.

This makes him literally the only character from the entire series that's canonically turned up in more than one game that wasn't a direct sequel, and the best part is that they don't do anything with that. He gets to access infinite alternate universes, and he spends his time in every single one of them collecting swords and constantly failing to get Excalibur.

They could make Gilgamesh this enormous and complicated side character that intertwines every game in the series and hints at this hopelessly epic over-story... but nah. He's just collecting swords across universes because he can.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Back in my day I dodged 200 lightning bolts for Lulu's ultimate weapon and I liked it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

This makes him literally the only character from the entire series that's canonically turned up in more than one game that wasn't a direct sequel, and the best part is that they don't do anything with that. He gets to access infinite alternate universes, and he spends his time in every single one of them collecting swords and constantly failing to get Excalibur.

They could make Gilgamesh this enormous and complicated side character that intertwines every game in the series and hints at this hopelessly epic over-story... but nah. He's just collecting swords across universes because he can.

They implied a shared continuity between all the games in the awful FF4 sequel, The After Years, and it was the rancid cherry on top of that poo poo sundae. It's best that they just leave Gilgamesh as he is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kaubocks posted:

Back in my day I dodged 200 lightning bolts for Lulu's ultimate weapon and I liked it.

I thought about doing that. I don't think I care enough. I did key up Aurons celestial weapon though so there's that.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Shadow Over Mordor: Sometimes when you're on top of a ruined building Talion wont move, even if you're trying to sprint off (where Talion jumps off edges instead of being careful) Talion wont move. Really messes with my groove when I'm hopping buildings to get away from a mass of orcs and he just stops.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

This is because Gilgamesh represents the player in their purest form. No regard for the story, the world, anything like that. Just an obsessive desire to get the best, biggest, shiniest weapons.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Games that rely heavily on particle effects in their look invariably have no way to dial down the effects, and particle effects of course happen to be one of the more needlessly gpu-taxing effects around right now. I'm not going to pretend that my graphics card isn't aging, but having a 20fps drop from regular gameplay when certain enemies show up is godawful.

A similar complaint from the past: for whatever reason the less-than-a-second footstep sound file for wolves in Oblivion was like 400kb or something insane, and instead of being four footsteps in one file, would just play four times in quick succession whenever a wolf would run. So, on my old computer (a decent one around the time the game launched), I'd go from a pretty okay 40fps or so to about 5 whenever a wolf got near me because my cpu would be hammered by the game loading these way-too-big sound files dozens of times per second. I remember other players finding this a problem too and there being a Nexus upload that reduced+changed the file along with an .esp so it'd only play once, and I never had to worry about it again.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Leal posted:

Shadow Over Mordor: Sometimes when you're on top of a ruined building Talion wont move, even if you're trying to sprint off (where Talion jumps off edges instead of being careful) Talion wont move. Really messes with my groove when I'm hopping buildings to get away from a mass of orcs and he just stops.

Stop being such a bitch and killinate some motherfuckers :getin:

Complaint about that game: The difficulty curve drops off ludicrously quickly. Early in the game, you have to sneak around because you'll die to a few orcs, and by the end of the game, ain't no thang to fight and kill 50 orcs at a whack.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

A White Guy posted:

Stop being such a bitch and killinate some motherfuckers :getin:

Complaint about that game: The difficulty curve drops off ludicrously quickly. Early in the game, you have to sneak around because you'll die to a few orcs, and by the end of the game, ain't no thang to fight and kill 50 orcs at a whack.

Agreed. Once you get the ability to brand orcs it becomes ridiculously easy.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Isn't that how a game is supposed to be? Just do a new game if you want the challenge again.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

zidane13 posted:

Isn't that how a game is supposed to be?

I hope not

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe

A game that's tough, until you get better/get better poo poo, and then you're an awesome shitkicker? Never played Mordor, but that sounds good to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

zidane13 posted:

A game that's tough, until you get better/get better poo poo, and then you're an awesome shitkicker? Never played Mordor, but that sounds good to me.

Except the combat isn't much fun once you get to that point. Although I might be weird in that I didn't think the combat was much fun to begin with. That game suffered from me hearing way to much hype about it before I finally got to play it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big problem with Shadow of Mordor is that a lot of the systems don't work that well if you're too good at it. If you just kill all the Captains when you first run into them you don't get a lot of the memory stuff.

Something that's kind of been bugging me for a while is how many Open World games just stick everything on islands. Its annoying because basically everyone does it.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Would a world that wraps around, like oldschool RPG worldmaps, be so hard to make?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

Something that's kind of been bugging me for a while is how many Open World games just stick everything on islands. Its annoying because basically everyone does it.

How else are you going to have boats in your game?

(Yeah, it's dumb)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is because Gilgamesh represents the player in their purest form. No regard for the story, the world, anything like that. Just an obsessive desire to get the best, biggest, shiniest weapons.

My whine is when games do this, like when Skyrim had all these asides about how the PC seeks power and shiny things with no regard for anything else. I just don't play games that way, so it's always kind of jarring. I'm not interested in loot and minmaxing numbers is the most boring thing in the world so I wish games wouldn't try to be clever by going 'ah yes, gameplay mechanics don't make sense in real life. you killed how many people again?'.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's more like, "This is how the creators of Gilgamesh feel about games". Gamers really like thinking everything in games incorporates them, but really, that's only the playable stuff.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

zidane13 posted:

Would a world that wraps around, like oldschool RPG worldmaps, be so hard to make?

Well maybe. if you wanted an entire spherical world, say, and retain scale with your character, the map is going to need to be pretty big to not have the player see the curvature of that world. Otherwise linked maps are the best way to do that and still retain a sense of scale.

(But then you run into the Dark Souls 2 problem of how to communicate a long journey without a loading screen)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The alternative of everything being cut off by giant mountains is bad too. Makes it feel cloistered and small. Latest DA sucked with this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

zidane13 posted:

Isn't that how a game is supposed to be? Just do a new game if you want the challenge again.

This is not what "difficulty curve" is supposed to mean.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Who cares if it curves? It can be any shape it wants, as long as its fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Strategic Tea posted:

My whine is when games do this, like when Skyrim had all these asides about how the PC seeks power and shiny things with no regard for anything else. I just don't play games that way, so it's always kind of jarring. I'm not interested in loot and minmaxing numbers is the most boring thing in the world so I wish games wouldn't try to be clever by going 'ah yes, gameplay mechanics don't make sense in real life. you killed how many people again?'.

For what it's worth, I don't think this is actually true of Gilgamesh, I don't remember any of them saying it and Gilgamesh's character doesn't really square with it in any of his appearances.

If anything, his character is more in line with the 'challenge over story' sort of players, and not in a cruel way. He doesn't really concern himself with the story, he's just doing his own thing, usually in optional sections. He also never seems all that mad when he loses, more enjoying the challenge than the victory, and with the exception of the sword-hunting his most common character trait is wanting to have a rematch with Bartz.

So he's more of a favorable reflection of the sort of people that fight bonus bosses. And since he's often a bonus boss himself that seems pretty okay to me.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

zidane13 posted:

And he doesn't find it fun, where are you going with this?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

zidane13 posted:

It tends to not be fun if it curves poorly. There's a correlation here. If the challenge drops off then it stops being fun even long before the content is exhausted as the act of playing becomes a formality rather than engaging, which is what A White Guy's problem is.

The opposite is also true, with a sudden spike in challenge being a bad thing as well.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I think the 'who cares if it curves' was in response to the 'spherical looping world maps would need an obvious curve' thing.

Personally i want to see an open world game that is a torous (inside of a donut) which is how games like Chrono Trigger's world map would actually look in 3d.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
I want, basically, Minecraft with the ability to zoom out to world level, and edit from there. With better constructing tools/graphics.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I beat all the Muramasa Rebirth DLC, and went on Youtube to see the other endings (because there's no way I'm going to unlock them all myself). Anyway, they're almost all more depressing than the regular endings (except Rajyaki, for some reason, which is good because Rajyaki owns).

It's not even that they're bad, per se (Arashimaru's second ending is actually really cool, if you ignore that the whole thing happened out of nowhere at the last second and how badly he got hosed over), but man I'd be pissed if I did all that work and got something that was less satisfying than the default ending.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Hunky Joe posted:

\That is the one thing that drags GTA:ONLINE down though. Prepubescent kids shouting and screeching into their mics. Or people blasting lovely D&B in the background. I'm glad the mute function is there but drat I wish it was easier to find who is shouting faster so I can mute them.

If you play with 360, play with me. I frequently tell kids to get one of their parents and put them on the mic, and then, on the rare occasion they do, I get super pissed at the mom/dad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JebanyPedal posted:

The alternative of everything being cut off by giant mountains is bad too. Makes it feel cloistered and small. Latest DA sucked with this.

Skyrim kinda has this issue too.

Even worse is in WoW you have all these little sub-continents, but they're all cut off from each other by huge mountain ranges. But the size of the zones isn't so big that you can't see across them, so the whole game is a weird series of gigantic valleys. Once you see it you can't really un-see it.

Also WoW has a problem where each sub-continent is designed to have its own mood and theme, which is really cool except whenever you walk across the boarder between two areas there's a gigantic and very noticeable shift in how everything looks. Walk 5 feet and suddenly the sky, fog, weather, grass, etc. all change color at the same time.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

I did it the first time I played but when the HD Remaster came out I paid a neighbor kid to do it because gently caress that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm gonna have to go with a general complaint: The death of splitscreen.

For the next few months I'm living out of a hotel room with a friend of mine while we work on a construction project. I have my xbone and two controllers, but there just aren't that many games we can play together on the same console anymore. Racing and sports games are just about the only ones these days, along with the Halo collection.