Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Noirex posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/refundpolicy

Refunds will be credited exclusively back to the Steam Wallet from which the original purchase was funded. For reasons of fraud prevention, your Steam Wallet will be credited for the transaction within two to three days from the time you submitted your refund request.

:laffo: Jesus Christ. And yes as a goon said a few posts up, this isn't remotely legal in several places.

I wouldn't have believed they could lose this much goodwill this quickly without punting babies or something, but here we are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dapper Dan posted:

This would be relevant if donation buttons existed on sites like the Nexus before. They didn't. In fact, the Nexus barely let you even shill for your own donation page. You couldn't link to Patreons or anything.

Remember, though, the reason for the Nexus cracking down on donation links was the (perfectly reasonable) view that profiting off work that's heavily derived from someone else's without their permission is really scummy and quite possibly illegal (and the "quite possibly" part meant that nobody without their own army of lawyers wanted to experiment and find out).

The fact that Bethesda wants a 45% cut for that permission is something that Bethesda is to blame for, and it's entirely possible that some other publisher will take a smaller cut if this continues. But you can't get "modders can be compensated for their work in a widespread, encouraged, and advertised way" without "the original devs and publishers get a cut or otherwise agree" or "somebody gets sued into a smoking crater".

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 25, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

OK, it lost 37 endorsements. I see.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Archonex posted:

Like a rock. :allears:

down to 272150. what was it at before this?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

El Generico posted:

Smart of Tripwire to suck up some good press out of this thing, but it's not like they were going to allow paid mods in the first place, so no, the community reaction still hasn't done jack poo poo.

EDIT: Thanks for the red text! Always wanted some!

which raises a good point: if they'd implemented a system which allows people to buy stuff for mod authors anonymously, be it trading cards, smileys, or games, that would have been a far better system, and Valve and Bethesda still would have gotten a generous cut

yes, it could still have been abused, but the abuse of that kind of system would have paled in comparison to the abuse of the current system already in progress

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

GunnerJ posted:

OK, it lost 37 endorsements. I see.

That was just over the course of a minute or two. It's been constantly going down since the mod maker announced he was making the next version paid.

Squeegy posted:

down to 272150. what was it at before this?

No clue. It's not going to lose the majority of the endorsements because most of them were made over the course of a few years. Most people who endorsed it probably don't even use the Nexus anymore.

It's a pretty telling statement about how popular this move is though. You can literally refresh it from minute to minute and see it bleeding endorsements. Word hasn't really gotten out about SkyUI putting a paid version up yet too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 24, 2015

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Noirex posted:

I don't know why you are hellbent of turning a perfectly reasonable decision into something so emotional. I can assure you I'm not going to 'forget' and suddenly start purchasing all the paid mods before my breakfast coffee tomorrow.

Edit: Or next month or ever for that matter.

I don't doubt you're not going to not buy the paid mods, but when people say they're never going to buy a Steam game again, I just roll my eyes and say 'yeah, right'. Never buying a Bethesda game again is more likely, but I still have my doubts.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

El Generico posted:

Smart of Tripwire to suck up some good press out of this thing, but it's not like they were going to allow paid mods in the first place, so no, the community reaction still hasn't done jack poo poo.

EDIT: Thanks for the red text! Always wanted some!

Evidence that contradicts my baseless and ignorant assertions doesn't count!

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Dapper Dan posted:

Modders get paid 25% to: do customer service, make sure their mod doesn't do anything unintended or have people screaming at you, fix a broken game that the developers themselves didn't at slave wages, no longer get to compile their mod with other popular mods to get recognition because that would cost the popular mod money (or pay for the privilege to use a necessary mod to make their own), earn $400 dollars before they see a dime (remember, it is a $100 in 'earned income', which means the 25% after Valve/Bethesda take their pound of flesh) and then have a majority of profit get taken away from them if they manage to hit it.

I hadn't considered this but you're completely right, from a business standpoint this is a very bad deal for modders as well and I suspect they are very aware of that fact. Moreover, a lot of people who dig mods a lot are cockoo-for-horsecocks legit loving crazy and selling mods runs a big risk of having these insane people Do really hosed up things to you in real life. The idea of pissing off your random player is whatever, the idea of pissing off someone who mods in nudity is funny, pissing off someone that mods literal snuff into the game is terrifying and it would take way more that 25% to decide its a wise idea to paint that kind of target on my back. I feel ashamed for even acknowledging that stuff exists now.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Evidence that contradicts my baseless and ignorant assertions doesn't count!

You don't know what 'evidence' is, do you?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bifner McDoogle posted:

I hadn't considered this but you're completely right, from a business standpoint this is a very bad deal for modders as well and I suspect they are very aware of that fact. Moreover, a lot of people who dig mods a lot are cockoo-for-horsecocks legit loving crazy and selling mods runs a big risk of having these insane people Do really hosed up things to you in real life. The idea of pissing off your random player is whatever, the idea of pissing off someone who mods in nudity is funny, pissing off someone that mods literal snuff into the game is terrifying and it would take way more that 25% to decide its a wise idea to paint that kind of target on my back. I feel ashamed for even acknowledging that stuff exists now.

hosed up if true.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I thought this was a little bit funny:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

I thought this was a little bit funny:

That's a goon mod too.

Nerd Of Prey, doing God's work.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Archonex posted:

That was just over the course of a minute or two. It's been constantly going down since the mod maker announced he was making the next version paid.

Ah, OK. Didn't know what the time scale was. And now it's over a hundred so welp, RIP goodwill for the best Skyrim mod.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

welp, it's over, videogames are dead :rip: 1971-2015

"our cut"

There's no loving cut to get, but if even Johan thinks this way...

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

El Generico posted:

You don't know what 'evidence' is, do you?

What I do know is that you're a shill who will take any counter-example, from companies changing their EULAs to prevent this to companies getting shut down after bad press and community reaction, and say it was going to happen regardless and the bad press had nothing to do with it, all while providing absolutely nothing to back up your suppositions

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Mister Adequate posted:

hosed up if true.

Yeah hopefully it isn't and I'm just morbid as gently caress atm

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Sure there's a cut. He got when the modder & mod user bought his game.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post

Mister Adequate posted:

welp, it's over, videogames are dead :rip: 1971-2015

"our cut"

lol

Reb
Sep 13, 2002

"...But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."
So is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people are mad at the mod makers personally? Myself, really don't care that the mod makers are trying to make a buck. The issue lies as to how this whole thing is currently working, with the bullshit cuts, no QC, lovely mods already up with $2 price tags for a single weapon that you can only get via console command, and etc etc. I'm sure everyone knows the list by now.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

What I do know is that you're a shill who will take any counter-example, from companies changing their EULAs to prevent this to companies getting shut down after bad press and community reaction, and say it was going to happen regardless and the bad press had nothing to do with it, all while providing absolutely nothing to back up your suppositions

You can't prove that things happened for the reasons you say they happened, and I can't prove my explanation either to be fair, but I think my explanations are obviously more likely. Again, what makes me a 'shill'? I've said I want the cut mod authors make to be more, I've said the system has some glaring, lovely flaws, I've said maybe it's the "horse armor" of mod marketplaces and it's destined to be replaced by something better. What the gently caress am I shilling for exactly?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Reb posted:

So is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people are mad at the mod makers personally? Myself, really don't care that the mod makers are trying to make a buck. The issue lies as to how this whole thing is currently working, with the bullshit cuts, no QC, lovely mods already up with $2 price tags for a single weapon that you can only get via console command, and etc etc. I'm sure everyone knows the list by now.

Yeap, it's pretty much this. I am fine with modders trying to make a few $ for their work but the current business model just doesn't hold water for Skyrim/other Bethesda games.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Reb posted:

Modders aren't at fault for wanting to make a buck. Community members aren't at fault for feeling betrayed. It's a whole giant shitshow created by Bethesda and Valve's cash grab.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Oh hey, a way for modders to profit from their hard work. I'm glad to see the creators of Faalskar and Moonpaths to reap some rewards from their efforts.

..oh.

ohhhh

loving horse armor all over again. x100

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Thug Lessons posted:

How exactly was the EULA change a response to the bad press and community reaction when the EULA change happened three days ago before anybody outside Nexus celebrities knew about this?

edit: also a Tripwire dev literally comments in that thread that it's the same EULA they've had for over a year and has nothing to do with recent events. Which makes sense because "no selling derivative work without permission" was the way things always were. All that's changed is that one publisher is giving permission, on these (bad) terms.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 25, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah I'm fine with the modmakers. Even Valve/Bethesda really. I just feel sad that I'm going to be priced out of something I enjoyed, because there's no way I'm paying for this stuff.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Figured out how to make ASIS work. Turns out you have to run the .jar file from Mod Organizer and not launch it on your own.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah I can't be mad at the modmakers for taking advantage of an opportunity that's offered to them. There's a lot of vitriol being directed towards them because of their decision that I don't think is deserved. I do think Valve and Bethesda have made an awful decision that fucks everybody else in return for a short-term gain and are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I honestly don't see how Valve/Bethesda can really do this in the long run. It's one thing when you're providing access point to free user mods which are usually available off site. It's another if you're selling them. They are selling a product and taking the lions share of the money. They don't get to then disclaim any and all responsibility for the product working/continuing to work/not melting the buyers computer. I don't see how a court would see any substantial difference between Bethesda selling DLC or selling 'mods', when the modders are functionally (poorly paid) subcontractors. It seems like you lose all your 'user beware' safety nets once a mod stops being a community passion project and becomes a legal software sale.

How can they possibly get away with selling a product in their store, taking 75% of the money, and then saying they bear no responsibility if it breaks, gets disabled by a patch, or just flat out doesn't work? Waving your wand and saying it's a 'mod' when you're selling and profiting off it doesn't seem like it would impress consumer advocates.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Oh, right, I'm a shill because I don't want to burn Bethesda and Valve at the stake for trying something new, for giving mod authors a chance to make significant money off of their work legally for the first time ever, for making some mistakes and having hosed up when this is the first time something like this has ever been tried by anyone. gently caress me for not being on board with the rage bandwagon, I guess, video games are dead, modding is dead, surely every mod ever made from here on out will be paid only. The sky is definitely falling, what an rear end in a top hat I was for suggesting otherwise.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Reb posted:

So is it just me or does it seem like a lot of people are mad at the mod makers personally?

I'm mad at the mod makers but I figure I am spiting them enough by just not buying their mod.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

El Generico posted:

Oh, right, I'm a shill because I don't want to burn Bethesda and Valve at the stake for trying something new, for giving mod authors a chance to make significant money off of their work legally for the first time ever, for making some mistakes and having hosed up when this is the first time something like this has ever been tried by anyone. gently caress me for not being on board with the rage bandwagon, I guess, video games are dead, modding is dead, surely every mod ever made from here on out will be paid only. The sky is definitely falling, what an rear end in a top hat I was for suggesting otherwise.

I don't think you're a shill but "giving mod authors a chance to make significant money off of their work legally" was absolutely never part of Bethesda's and Valve's plan.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

I feel genuinely bad for some modmakers, Chesko in particular because he tried to make things right.
The smart modmakers were the ones that were approached early and decided not to participate in the first wave. Now they know what the community response is and their "good" names are preserved.

FlyingKipper fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 25, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

El Generico posted:

You can't prove that things happened for the reasons you say they happened, and I can't prove my explanation either to be fair, but I think my explanations are obviously more likely.

Actually we can use our brains and knowledge to figure out that actually bad press, metacritic scores, and community reaction is a huge, huge deal in the games industry, as evidenced by the massive wealth of journalistic evidence, statements by industry leaders, and common sense. Or we could throw up our hands and pretend no one can prove anything because it suits our lovely shilly argument better

quote:

Again, what makes me a 'shill'? I've said I want the cut mod authors make to be more, I've said the system has some glaring, lovely flaws, I've said maybe it's the "horse armor" of mod marketplaces and it's destined to be replaced by something better. What the gently caress am I shilling for exactly?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Reb posted:

There's no one else to talk to, steam and beth are basically faceless compared to modders. Kinda lovely on valve to make modders do all their pr

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

How exactly was the EULA change a response to the bad press and community reaction when the EULA change happened three days ago before anybody outside Nexus celebrities knew about this?

edit: also a Tripwire dev literally comments in that thread that it's the same EULA they've had for over a year and has nothing to do with recent events. Which makes sense because "no selling derivative work without permission" was the way things always were. All that's changed is that one publisher is giving permission, on these (bad) terms.

This, on the other hand, is good evidence that this particular move wasn't PR-related.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Actually we can use our brains and knowledge to figure out that actually bad press, metacritic scores, and community reaction is a huge, huge deal in the games industry, as evidenced by the massive wealth of journalistic evidence, statements by industry leaders, and common sense. Or we could throw up our hands and pretend no one can prove anything because it suits our lovely shilly argument better

OK, if you're still on about SimCity, I'll give you that one. When I included SimCity in my argument I only meant to use it as an example of how bad press didn't mean nearly as much to EA's bottom line as people acted like it did. Metacritic, specifically, is definitely an influence on sales, which is dumb, because Metacritic is a lovely way to decide whether or not to buy a game, but it does.

Metacritic doesn't have anything to do with this, though, so it has nothing to do with your Tripwire 'evidence', which is still lovely evidence.

Is that just a facepalm image? That's pretty awful, you're really just the worst.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
from cheskos reddit comment:

quote:

Real-time update - I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

bwahaha

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So Valve has officially gone mad with power. Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So their method of pulling content is to keep selling it but stop paying the mod maker? Rad.

• Locked thread