Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I'm not huge on the Marvel movies in general, will Daredevil do much for me?

I was the same, I liked a bit of iron man and the nolan batmans but not much else. it's hardly groundbreaking TV but it's decent enough, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The closest thing to Daredevil I've seen was Season 1 of Arrow, so see one if you liked the other.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

The closest thing to Daredevil I've seen was Season 1 of Arrow, so see one if you liked the other.

I thought arrow was terrible but enjoyed daredevil

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Event Horizon may be Anderson's strongest movie but it does have a few hacky touches- the climax basically being a fist fight is a bit off, and the visions of hellish insanity aren't up to what, say, Clive Barker might conjure up.

Also while it's great that the funny black guy survives counter to all cliches, those scenes feel like they don't quite match the rest of the movie, like they were cut in from Dark Star or something.

Good film overall though.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Im sure this is a joke post.

It's not. The premise is interesting, but the actors don't sell it at all.

It honestly feels like someone filmed the final performance of an "Intro to Acting" class.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

ChineseConnection posted:

I also liked the way they made Fisk more of a real character, but holy poo poo his Mandarian is so incredibly painful to listen to. Like, skip the scene painful. The actor is trying to imitate the inflection and cadence of the Chinese crime boss, but it comes out sounding like a Mickey Rooney caricature.

Considering the awkward, halting way he speaks English, I wouldn't expect him to be any more fluid in other languages.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

It's not. The premise is interesting, but the actors don't sell it at all.

It honestly feels like someone filmed the final performance of an "Intro to Acting" class.

I thought the actors were decent enough, but I agree that it isn't the highest calibre acting you'll ever see.

that the scripts are from transcripts of actual events makes the quality of the acting less noticeable to me, and I thought the whole thing was terrifying and sad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Erebus posted:

Considering the awkward, halting way he speaks English, I wouldn't expect him to be any more fluid in other languages.

Yeah, I can't tell how bad the Mandarin actually is, but Mickey Rooney was a white dude playing a horrible Asian stereotype. Vincent D'onofrio is a white dude playing a white dude speaking a second language.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So if I'm not huge on the Marvel movies in general, will Daredevil do much for me?

Fwiw I'm not into marvel or dc movies and daredevil did nothing to change that. Not that it's bad, but it's not grabbing me at all.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Junkie Disease posted:

How did Paul Anderson make Event Horizon it starts off with his name in the credits making a whoosh sound. it ends with a question mark.
It's enjoyable, atmospheric and entertaining and I want to give as much credit as possible to the cinematography but PA still has his hand in a not bad movie.
How?

The main question I have is did Netflix fix the problem with the sound? The center channel and the left speaker were switched, creating a disorienting experience. It was unwatchable because it gave everything this weird soundstage.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

My Xbox One (or my Netflix account?) has not been saving any progress on shows/movies that I watch. It will let me store things in the queue, but my progress on any tv show or movie is a freeze frame of a month or two ago. It is making me crazy. Any advice?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Cemetry Gator posted:

The main question I have is did Netflix fix the problem with the sound? The center channel and the left speaker were switched, creating a disorienting experience. It was unwatchable because it gave everything this weird soundstage.

Speaking of sound, Is Phantoms sfx recorded through a wax drum?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

My Xbox One (or my Netflix account?) has not been saving any progress on shows/movies that I watch. It will let me store things in the queue, but my progress on any tv show or movie is a freeze frame of a month or two ago. It is making me crazy. Any advice?

Have you checked on your computer to see if it's the netflix account or the Xbox? Have you tried reinstalling the application or even just logging out/in?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

NESguerilla posted:

Have you checked on your computer to see if it's the netflix account or the Xbox? Have you tried reinstalling the application or even just logging out/in?

Yes to all. I will try to reinstall it one more time and then I'll try to contact them maybe.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
While we're on the topic of Netflix technical issues, I watched Undertow on there for the first time a few days ago and it was really, really weird quality. There were sections - the first and third quarter of the film - that suffered from strong motion blur (It wasn't just poor picture quality or buffering, it was specific to objects in motion and replicated exactly when you rewound) and others that had this strange lined quality. I'm pretty sure that Gordon Green must have just shot the thing on an early digital camera and that hasn't translated well to the compression, but I wonder why it got put up like that, or if it was just my machine and i'm being an idiot.

(I am fully aware that the time-stops are intentional)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The only ones that bother me are Running Turtle is clearly a hardsubbed Video CD rip and Barton Fink has the worst format.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The third reinstall worked! But for how long? How long, Netflix?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Files has the first 13 episodes in HD now, and the subtitles are included again!

...on netflix only.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

It was much better than that Hellraiser that was set in space.
The space station Hellraiser rules, and had a ton of cool back history in it.

I do not see appeal of Event Horizon, I saw it in theaters when I was high school age, and I thought it was pretty dumb. Maybe because I had just read a few sci fi books or stories which were better, and used a similar premise. I really do not understand the hype for it. It had a ton of hellraiser-y poo poo that felt ripped off, and kind of petered out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Viginti posted:

While we're on the topic of Netflix technical issues, I watched Undertow on there for the first time a few days ago and it was really, really weird quality. There were sections - the first and third quarter of the film - that suffered from strong motion blur (It wasn't just poor picture quality or buffering, it was specific to objects in motion and replicated exactly when you rewound) and others that had this strange lined quality. I'm pretty sure that Gordon Green must have just shot the thing on an early digital camera and that hasn't translated well to the compression, but I wonder why it got put up like that, or if it was just my machine and i'm being an idiot.

(I am fully aware that the time-stops are intentional)
Occasionally the video itself is just bad. Dredd had weird problems with stuff being doubled, like they didn't do the 24 -> 30 FPS conversion correctly. Sounds similar to what you're describing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Junkie Disease posted:

The only ones that bother me are Running Turtle is clearly a hardsubbed Video CD rip and Barton Fink has the worst format.

What's wrong with Barton Fink? It looked fine when I watched it

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

What's wrong with Barton Fink? It looked fine when I watched it

Is it still 4:3?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah both Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing have consistently been 4:3 on Netflix for some reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

last i watched Miller's Crossing on there it was proper widescreen

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Also Miller's Crossing is loving fantastic. One of my favorite films of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Also Miller's Crossing is loving fantastic. One of my favorite films of all time.

I like it even more now that I've read the Glass Key.

jockeys for first with Fargo and Barton Fink as #1 Coen

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I thought the actors were decent enough, but I agree that it isn't the highest calibre acting you'll ever see.

that the scripts are from transcripts of actual events makes the quality of the acting less noticeable to me, and I thought the whole thing was terrifying and sad.

As someone that's never been afraid of flying that movie terrified me. Really glad I decided to check it out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

K. Waste posted:

Same, it's easily in my top 5 / top 3 across all genres.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think millers crossing is the only coen bros movie I haven't seen. I really need to get on that. I even had it on blu ray for years and never got around to it. I don't know wtf is wrong with me.

Now I know what I'm watching this weekend at least.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

They Came Together is peak David Wain. The poster is misleading, but if anyone liked Wet Hot American Summer or Stella, I can't imagine they wouldn't like this.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Is it still 4:3?

It was 1.66 to 1 when I watched it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

last i watched Miller's Crossing on there it was proper widescreen

they must have fixed it then, I watched it like a year ago and it was 4:3

red19fire
May 26, 2010

david_a posted:

Occasionally the video itself is just bad. Dredd had weird problems with stuff being doubled, like they didn't do the 24 -> 30 FPS conversion correctly. Sounds similar to what you're describing.

Dredd was shot in 3d, I think it like randomly adds a right or left frame to the normal track, or poorly blends them, something like that. It came up in the thread last year.

They Came Together is like the smarter version of whatever Romantic Movie was trying to be. It uses every romcom cliche, but isn't nearly as heavy-handed. Can't decide if I like it or not.

vv: that's it, it's Wet Hot American Rom Com.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 25, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't finished it, but They Came together was a pleasant surprise. I put in on even though it looked bad, because I like Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd and realized about 10 seconds in that it was basically a spiritual successor to Wet Hot American Summer. I gotta finish that this weekend. From what I watched it's pretty hilarious if you dig their ridiculous breed of comedy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Paul Rudd is perfect especially for that kind of role because he always seems like someone's idea of a leading man if you were casting an SNL sketch parody of a movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I can't tell if They Came Together is a spoof or a spoof of spoofs.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I found it pretty insufferable and not really that funny, I was pretty excited going in though because I love Stella and American Summer. When Michael Shannon is the funniest castmember in your movie something has going terribly wrong.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I dunno if 22 Jump Street is on American Netflix, but I just watched on Australian Netflix on a whim. I've heard that people that like 21 were down on it, but I quite liked it. Lots of dumb sequel jokes, one REALLY clever one (I thought we had Cate Blanchett?) and a bunch of goofy action sequences and perhaps one of the funniest fight scenes I've seen in a while. Maybe the fact that 21 was surprisingly good lessens the impact of 22 but I still think it's quite funny. Well worth a watch.

I might check out They Came Together, I skipped over it once I heard "spoof", they're almost universally bad but if you guys liked it there must be something there.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

cat doter posted:

I dunno if 22 Jump Street is on American Netflix, but I just watched on Australian Netflix on a whim. I've heard that people that like 21 were down on it, but I quite liked it. Lots of dumb sequel jokes, one REALLY clever one (I thought we had Cate Blanchett?) and a bunch of goofy action sequences and perhaps one of the funniest fight scenes I've seen in a while. Maybe the fact that 21 was surprisingly good lessens the impact of 22 but I still think it's quite funny. Well worth a watch.

I might check out They Came Together, I skipped over it once I heard "spoof", they're almost universally bad but if you guys liked it there must be something there.

The elephant in the room bit had me in tears, not every joke hits, but when they do I get a pretty good laugh out of it. I honestly can't think of many other movies recent that I found as funny as 22 jump street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

they must have fixed it then, I watched it like a year ago and it was 4:3

Something weird is up with it, it's not as simple it being fixed or not. I remember at one point someone in this thread posted that they had literally just tried to watch Barton Fink the aspect ratio was hosed up, but then when I loaded it a few seconds later it was fine. I don't know if it's a region thing or what.