Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're probably waiting for the second version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Where are you getting first day sell through stats so fast?

Seeing a number that low, I'd probably venture a guess they're hoping for a golden week rebound but it honestly looks like business as usual to me when it comes to SE and sales expectations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Try toggling your AI on and off. Are you sure you're using the 'basic' AI routine and not like FIGHTER MELEE or something?

I'd honestly just install an AI mod if you are unhappy with the AI. I just used the ones from SCS2 personally but everyone has a favorite. Afaik, they never touched any of the AI scripts in either EE.

We still have a BG1/BG2 thread where you might get more attention from people who still play the game. It's been awhile since I played so maybe one of the latest ports mucked it up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742

Thank you, I will post my question there. All I really want is for my characters to behave the way they did in BG: EE, so this is frustrating.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rascyc posted:

Where are you getting first day sell through stats so fast?

Seeing a number that low, I'd probably venture a guess they're hoping for a golden week rebound but it honestly looks like business as usual to me when it comes to SE and sales expectations.

It's in neogaf's media create thread. We will see after GW of course but it also seems that's Square didn't put in much marketing effort. Not sure about reviews though, haven't had a chance to check.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oblomov posted:

Yes. However, the first one sold I think 55 or 58% of the shipment the first day. Basically this is making unlikely BD2 is going to even get 2nd shipment ever in JPN and might not hit 200K lifetime there.

Edit: On SE marketing, I forgot about TWEWY. Oh the trolling and lack of marketing hurt on this one. not to mention the iOS fiasco. I am still bitter with SE about this particular subject.

Do we know what the initial shipment size of Bravely Second is compared to Bravely Default?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Srice posted:

Do we know what the initial shipment size of Bravely Second is compared to Bravely Default?

Supposed to be 160K I think and 85ish (maybe 82ish) K got sold first day.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Endorph posted:

i feel like that is more due to your nostalgia than the quality of recent games

please name me 3 recent JRPGs as good as SoA

I'm not saying there are none, but even Xenoblade is already 5 years old

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 25, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

please name me 3 recent JRPGs as good as SoA

I'm not saying there are none, but even Xenoblade is already 5 years old
Tales of Graces F, Bravely Default, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2, Atelier Escha and Logy, Atelier Shallie, Persona 4 Golden. That's off the top of my head. (Also Xenoblade Chronicles isn't one of them.)

Then again SoA is, to me, a fairly average JRPG that only stands out due to its tone and setting. From a pure gameplay perspective, it's pretty bland.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Endorph posted:

Tales of Graces F, Bravely Default, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2, Atelier Escha and Logy, Atelier Shallie, Persona 4 Golden. That's off the top of my head. (Also Xenoblade Chronicles isn't one of them.)

Then again SoA is, to me, a fairly average JRPG that only stands out due to its tone and setting. From a pure gameplay perspective, it's pretty bland.

Three of those are 4+ years old/enhanced port of an older game, Atelier games are pretty much the definition of standing out due to something other than gameplay, and Tales is bland in pretty much everything but gameplay

Also my original comment was about new IP and BD is the only one of those that's new

Don't get me wrong, I like all of these games, but there's nothing particularly adventurous or exciting about most of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno skits are a pretty unique thing

anyway xenoblade isn't a new IP either then

edit: also the entire hook of the atelier games is the gameplay, what the hell. unless the crafting somehow doesn't count as gameplay to you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

personally i always saw skits as the hook of tales games, since besides graces the gameplay ain't that good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like it wouldn't be too crazy to compare SoA to Lunar, insomuch as they're both fun anime adventures with the gameplay just sorta being there.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Skits are fun but they're an innovation that's over 10 years old and not that different compared to other kinds of character events

I think it'd be more fair to compare Xenoblade to BD in terms of whether it counts as new IP, since they both obviously borrow heavily but aren't actually part of an old series.

Sure, crafting is gameplay, but I don't know if I agree that it's the entire hook of the series. I think female protagonists, slice-of-life storylines, moderate fanservice, and a heavy focus on aesthetic/music are just as big sellers. Crafting is great but I don't think that when people say "JRPG" they imagine hours of carefully planned out crafting. I like the games a lot but I certainly wouldn't call their other systems more than average.

This feels like a really weird disagreement though since the whole point of talking about SoA is yeah, not battle systems or anything, but the style (achieved by modern games to various degrees) and sense of exploration (accomplished by relatively few)

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Dryzen posted:

should I still try to play skies of arcadia if I haven't before

I played it via emulator a month or two ago (gamecube), and it was okay. It was amazing or anything but it was definitely enjoyable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe i just didn't really get the 'sense of exploration' in arcadia. it wasn't bad or anything but it mostly felt like flying around an empty void until you hit whatever you were looking for.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I only had fun exploring once I got the upgrade that let you fly really high/low, mainly because you avoided random encounters that way :v:

Even though the Gamecube version fixed the random encounter rate it was still high enough to make exploration annoying for me.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah, I admit it could depend on when you played it and all too.

Really all I want in life is an anime sky pirate adventure, in the Xenoblade engine, with Star Ocean combat, in glorious HD. Is that so much to ask? :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of skits, was Star Ocean 2 the first? I remember playing that thinking it was the neatest thing in the world then a few years later Final Fantasy IX comes out with the exact same thing and is the only Final Fantasy with them.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Yeah, I admit it could depend on when you played it and all too.

Really all I want in life is an anime sky pirate adventure, in the Xenoblade engine, with Star Ocean combat, in glorious HD. Is that so much to ask? :(

You're asking for an expensive console RPG in 2015, yeah it's a lot to ask.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think skits started in Tales first, for the talking heads version of them. Destiny had them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

al-azad posted:

Speaking of skits, was Star Ocean 2 the first? I remember playing that thinking it was the neatest thing in the world then a few years later Final Fantasy IX comes out with the exact same thing and is the only Final Fantasy with them.

I loved FFIX's implementation of them, it feels a lot more natural for everyone to go off and do their own thing once in awhile.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Srice posted:

I feel like it wouldn't be too crazy to compare SoA to Lunar, insomuch as they're both fun anime adventures with the gameplay just sorta being there.
I tried playing Lunar at the height of my JRPG teen years and I could not loving stand it. I mean I guess the story was kind of dumb in a not very endearing way but mostly I just remember the enemies how loving fast they run on the screen (so you can't evade them ever) to be intolerable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Speaking of skits, was Star Ocean 2 the first?
No, Tales was.

Tales of Destiny: December 1997.
Star Ocean 2: July 1998.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why hasn't Namco re-released tales of Destiny 1 and 2 in America? Games are expensive as hell, and yet somehow we got Tales of Symphonia 2 re-released.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had no idea Destiny had skits but I see they just axed them for US?

e: I forgot about Grandia's campfire/resting skits. Not the same thing but the game came out within a week of ToD and it's an interesting comparison because I can't think of any other games that do eating side stories like Grandia.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 25, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i could never get into skies of arcadia. even on the gamecube the encounter rate was too high, and the battles too slow. also while i respect the lighthearted adventure feel and all, especially given the time, i felt once you move past the novelty it wasn't all that special at being that. none of the characters or their interactions really struck me as all the memorable

i do want to give it another chance though when i'm in the right mood since the last fair shot I gave it was like 5 years ago or so and my tastes have changed since.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

al-azad posted:

I had no idea Destiny had skits but I see they just axed them for US?

Yeah they did. You know how you could get that little side view of them walking on the world map? That's where they were suppose to happen

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Skies of Arcadia was amazing to me when it came out, even if the DC version has issues. At least the system was kind enough to start whining horribly to warn you of encounters. I think 90% of the charm is the aesthetic though, if you aren't down with sky pirates it's not that special.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Has anyone else played through Citizens of Earth? All I can find on the net on recruiting the pilot is talking to her at the drive through, went there and she wasn't there, drove up to the screen and did a minigame and got teleported to the desert for some reason

Never mind figured it out, you have to enter the 6am-6pm movie

Relin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 26, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the tunnels and trolls rpg is super weird

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

No, Tales was.

Tales of Destiny: December 1997.
Star Ocean 2: July 1998.

did star ocean 2 have skits, or are you thinking of the town exploration things? cause if so star ocean 1 had those too.

also i too thought xenoblade was mediocre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the tunnels and trolls rpg is super weird

Tunnels & Trolls in general is super weird. It's published by a play-by-mail company that's been producing PBM games for 40 years. It's been around about as long as D&D and prides itself on Fighting Fantasy style solo dungeons. You can still buy the game through their very Geocities looking website. They still maintain a clue page circa 1998, a full 8 years after the game actually came out!

I can't help but root for them. I don't know how in the world they make money but their Kickstarter campaign broke $100,000 so there are TnT fans still alive and rolling dice.

Roobanguy posted:

did star ocean 2 have skits, or are you thinking of the town exploration things? cause if so star ocean 1 had those too.

also i too thought xenoblade was mediocre.

When I think of "skits" I think of any kind of optional scene that cuts away to characters doing something. Star Ocean calls it private actions, Tales calls them chats, and FF9 calls it active time events.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Fun fact: if you just want to bum-rush a lot of late-game BD content with ease, just set up 4 Monks (for the physical stats + level-scaling damage when bare-handed) with Vampire abilities and Life Drain on a constant loop. This applies to almost every form of the final chapter bosses, actually.

I am now going to never fight the optional boss ever, because jesus wept.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Is there an easy way to keep track of the bazillion sidequests you get in Xenoblade Chronicles, and can I choose to track one of the side quests instead of the arrow pointing to the next main quest objective? Also what's the point of the affection system for all the side characters?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

Tunnels & Trolls in general is super weird. It's published by a play-by-mail company that's been producing PBM games for 40 years. It's been around about as long as D&D and prides itself on Fighting Fantasy style solo dungeons. You can still buy the game through their very Geocities looking website. They still maintain a clue page circa 1998, a full 8 years after the game actually came out!

The T&T CRPG is based on the solo dungeons, so much so that the game will interrupt your exploration to suddenly give you CYOA questions from the books which can instantly kill your characters, permanently lower their stats, or give them overpowered items. At one point I stepped onto the wrong square and was catapulted into one of the books where a demon gave me a boat and then everyone was eaten by rats while on the boat. The game was made by a Japanese developer from Japanese translations of the books and then retranslated back into english :psyduck:

you can recruit npc heros in taverns and guilds, but you can only go into the guilds to recruit people if you already have someone of the class they offer meaning you will never do it for any reason

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Fun fact: if you just want to bum-rush a lot of late-game BD content with ease, just set up 4 Monks (for the physical stats + level-scaling damage when bare-handed) with Vampire abilities and Life Drain on a constant loop. This applies to almost every form of the final chapter bosses, actually.

I am now going to never fight the optional boss ever, because jesus wept.

If I have more than one person in the same class at the same time then it doesn't matter if I win the battle, I've already lost the war.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just wanted to not have to manage MP. Everyone healing 3k-8k HP a round was a good way to do that.

Chapter 8 was where burnout on this game finally hit me, and that's terrible, because despite it still having some copy/paste bullshit, the sidequests had more love put into them than in a lot of the rest of the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My boring endgame strategy for BD which let me cheese the optional boss as well was to have one character server as a Performer/Freelancer BP battery, one act as a Spiritmaster continuously casting Salvation and Fairy Ward, and the other two using Godspeed Strike/Mimic as Thieves/Freelancers with double Falcon Knives. 79,992 damage every other turn and you never take any damage or use up any MP.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 26, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

The game was made by a Japanese developer from Japanese translations of the books and then retranslated back into english :psyduck:

This part actually isn't entirely right. The development portion of the game was outsourced to Starcraft, a Japanese company that specialized in porting American RPGs, but the design was actually done as a collaboration with New World Computing, mostly by Jon Van Caneghem. The original script was in English, then translated into Japanese by Starcraft and released on Japanese PC platforms and simply ported back to DOS. The weirdness is that during the porting process apparently Starcraft gave New World Computing a translated version of the script, which clearly wasn't necessary since an English script already existed. (Which is the one that eventually got used)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you want to cheese the end-game BD fights just set up the Jump + Time setup and you can literally auto everything including the optional superboss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

al-azad posted:

When I think of "skits" I think of any kind of optional scene that cuts away to characters doing something. Star Ocean calls it private actions, Tales calls them chats, and FF9 calls it active time events.

Grandia had something similar with its dinner conversations, but I don't recall them being optional.

A vague ancestor of these systems might be the Talk menu selection in Phantasy Star IV, but I guess that mainly existed as a "where the hell do I go now?" option, more like talking to Lyon in Suikoden V, but there was humour there sometimes. It's one little thing I'd like modern RPGs to do more often instead of the ubiquitous journals and breadcrumbs that we have now.