Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Any recommendations for a simple app to edit videos? Mostly just trimming them down and such. I find iMovie to be particularly cumbersome to do anything with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My favorite weather / podcast app is Dashlane

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I love all these sick posts joking about podcast / weather / password apps.

But does it have a weather widget??? lmao, great poo poo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChetReckless posted:

This annoys me to no end, but I like the app enough that I deal with it anyhow. I find that if you force close the app after re-ordering and re-open it, it will maintain the new playlist order.

I suspect it has to do with syncing the playlist from the web/server version of Overcast, and possibly with doing so with poor cellular reception.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dexter6 posted:

My favorite weather / podcast app is Dashlane

You keep making jokes about Dashlane, but they've partnered with SwiftKey. Who's laughing now? Everyone

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Can we get back to important things? Like weather apps with the best micro-forecasts?

If you think about it, Overcast could do weather, too, and no one would bat an eye.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

duckfarts posted:

I like the gestures support, don't know if the others support that kind of thing

This is what keeps me tied to Downcast. Swiping through adverts was never so easy.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I love all these sick posts joking about podcast / weather / password apps.

But does it have a weather widget??? lmao, great poo poo.

Whoa hey 40 new posts....oh they all have the word cast in them repeatedly.

Personally I think Yahoo Weather is the best podcast app. Look at its icon!~!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I suspect it has to do with syncing the playlist from the web/server version of Overcast, and possibly with doing so with poor cellular reception.

I agree you're probably right with the former, but as to the latter: my anecdotal experience is that I have the same problems whether I'm on my home wifi, work wifi, or over LTE downtown in a major Canadian city. There definitely does seem to be a syncing issue, but in my experience it doesn't relate to my connection, at least not in an obvious way.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone ever use Dashlane? Any thoughts on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of making a Dashlane thread because it's so popular here and goons derail every 2-3 pages with hot Dashlane tips. Thoughts?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

I'm thinking of making a Dashlane thread because it's so popular here and goons derail every 2-3 pages with hot Dashlane tips. Thoughts?

Make it about podcasts, weather widgets, and password managers.

This thread will be slower, but it'd stop being the same worthless loving discussion every three pages.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh boo-loving-hoo. Salty-rear end nerds.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I use the built in apple podcasts app and weather app.

Come at me.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Why the heck do you need an app for the weather anyway? I just stay inside.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm beta testing this new app called Dashlane. It's a game changer.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

I'm beta testing this new app called Dashlane. It's a game changer.

What are your thoughts on Dashlane?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's alright, but the weather widget could be better.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

krampster2 posted:

Why the heck do you need an app for the weather anyway? I just stay inside.

You've never seen DarkSky, have you? It doesn't matter if you're going outside, it's a very fun app.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chakan posted:

You've never seen DarkSky, have you? It doesn't matter if you're going outside, it's a very fun app.

Solar is better than DarkSky at this.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Hi guys, I am going on a trip to Paris for a week and have large list of restaurants and bars I would like to visit. I want to stick all these in a map while I am at home and then access that while there. Should I stick with the apple maps or Google maps? Any suggestions?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This might sound like heresy but Nokia's HERE map app is shockingly good, especially if you have a dodgy connection abroad. You can just download offline maps and use those. It's scarily accurate, even with no connection.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This might sound like heresy but Nokia's HERE map app is shockingly good, especially if you have a dodgy connection abroad. You can just download offline maps and use those. It's scarily accurate, even with no connection.

Seconding this; it's the best offline maps app I've seen so far and it's free to boot.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I haven't tried the Nokia, but Google Maps has been treating me well every time I've been on holiday. The "ok maps" solution for saving a (section of a) map has worked perfectly, and I just save restaurants/sights/other stuff in there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

maduin posted:

They're actually all quite good, though I prefer Dropbox because of the more frequent (I guess this is the word I want here) integration with other applications. Everyone seems to support Dropbox, while you'll occasionally find Drive and OneDrive unsupported. I actually also really like Carousel for my photos. This is such a nerd thing, but with auto-upload and Hazel running on my Mac to organize them inside of folders according to date, I've built quite an archive, and I prefer Carousel quite a bit (their implementation of albums and sharing is really great) over browsing photos through the OneDrive app.

I will say, though, OneDrive is by far the best deal of the group, especially if you're a student. MSOffice+OneDrive for 4-years for $80 is pretty crazy.

What is your setup on auto upload? The one thing that drives me nuts with iOS is that I cannot set it to auto back pictures up to my time capsule (unless I'm missing something) so I'm thinking what you are doing might work for me.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My Google Maps app kept crashing at random the other day while I was driving and using it for navigation. I think I may just use the Apple one today just for safety.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do you guys know of an app that will let me write Chinese into the app and it translates it or give me a definition of the word?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

obi_ant posted:

Do you guys know of an app that will let me write Chinese into the app and it translates it or give me a definition of the word?

I think Google Translate supports Chinese.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Super Dude posted:

I think Google Translate supports Chinese.

I see it! Thanks!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My Google Maps app kept crashing at random the other day while I was driving and using it for navigation. I think I may just use the Apple one today just for safety.

I used the Apple maps app today around town and it was more or less the same thing, except Google maps location search is more robust (it finds my apartment, while the Apple app doesn't.) on the plus side, the Apple app seemed to update much more fluidly and accurately, and had realtime pop ups of street names as you approach them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Apple Maps pretty much as long as it's existed with very few issues. At this point, the only issue Google Maps has over it is a much better search.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I've been using Apple Maps pretty much as long as it's existed with very few issues. At this point, the only issue Google Maps has over it is a much better search.

I do, too. And it seems weird to me. I use Google maps if I'm trying to find stores and places, but then plug it into Apple Maps to actually do the navigation.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Endless Mike posted:

Also mass transit. There are other apps but none (that I've found) come close to Google Maps for planning a trip involving mass transit, especially with multiple transit providers.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I find that google maps transit is usually out of date in my city (Vancouver) so I prefer to use this app just called Transit which gets its data driectly from Translink. Otherwise I use Yelp for finding businesses and Apple Maps for navigation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I use Transit App here in DC and never have a problem with it, though I mostly stick with WMATA.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wish Minneapolis/St. Paul metro transit would just loving port their Android app over to iOS. They don't seem to have any open sharing of their real time data, so every other app just uses the posted schedules, which are often wrong. But the Android one I used to have used real time directly from them, and was almost always dead on. It upsets me that it's not on my current phone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Apple Maps has quite literally taken me to schools and the middle of the highway before, so I've given up on it entirely.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Apple Maps has quite literally taken me to schools and the middle of the highway before, so I've given up on it entirely.

The turn-by-turn navigation in Apple maps is really off-putting too, it seems to lag behind. Your actual car position is much further down the road than the map indicates, this has caused me to miss turns multiple times.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Maps is actually a bit slow in that regard too. I've found HERE to be the only one that gives you directions in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

StorrowS posted:

The turn-by-turn navigation in Apple maps is really off-putting too, it seems to lag behind. Your actual car position is much further down the road than the map indicates, this has caused me to miss turns multiple times.

Wow, that's weird. I've found it to be just as accurate as my Garmin and the old Navigon app as far as positioning. Usually good within 50 feet or so.