Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The return of Oswin,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I thought it was Maisie Williams.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It's the Valeyard, returned to our universe because of something something Gallifrey.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jsor posted:

Okay, let's stop joking. It's obviously Clara.

It's always a Fiero Clara.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bigger picture of what I'm guessing is the same thing:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Looks like some sort of diving rig, though it's covered in dirt so I'd expect it to burst out of the ground.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

You're the best daddy ever, Mr. Bubbles!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Modern interpretation of K9.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bicyclops posted:

This thing is gonna be REALLY impressive, right up until the point where it starts moving.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It looks so retro. I love it.

Also, some things over from Gallifreybase. As usual, their validity should always be questioned. This got printed by The Mirror, which isn't always uh..reliable, but was later confirmed by one of the few spoilerhounds that is consistently reliable.

The premier involves Davros, and the Doctor being presented with the option to kill him as a child to prevent the Dalek's creation.

Could be interesting and dark as gently caress if true.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I'm pretty sure that we already know the premiere is about Missy. That just sounds like a ridiculous idea.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

I'm pretty sure that we already know the premiere is about Missy. That just sounds like a ridiculous idea.

It was better when it was called "Genesis of the Daleks". :v:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Missy is involved and at some point kidnaps Clara. But that doesn't mean both ideas couldn't work together.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those 'in the know' are getting deliberate misinformation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They already did that ethical dilemma forty years ago. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXdwqlJ19U

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, Missy is involved and at some point kidnaps Clara. But that doesn't mean both ideas couldn't work together.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those 'in the know' are getting deliberate misinformation.

The Doctor will not seriously consider murdering a child in the series opener as a part of a lovely retread of a beloved 40 year old story while another separate story on a different planet occurs simultaneously featuring another main villain, just a little prediction

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Aww, he's wearing flipflops :3:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Aww, he's wearing flipflops :3:

I totally missed that, and now it's just made my day. That's hilarious.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Based on the building in the background looks like it's set in the past, some kind of pre-steampunk robot?

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Senor Tron posted:

Based on the building in the background looks like it's set in the past, some kind of pre-steampunk robot?

The Ancestors of the Cybermen: Part 1: The Dark Earth

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

CobiWann posted:

Possible episode titles for the new season!

Series 9:

1. ‘The Magician’s Apprentice’
2. ‘The Witch’s Familiar’
3. ‘The Creeping Dark’
4. ‘Deep Down’
5. ‘The Girl Who Died’
6. ‘The Woman Who Lived’
7. ‘Calling’
8. ‘Last Stop’
9. ‘The Night You left’
10. ‘The Day We Die’
11. ‘Miss Me’
12. 'The Shadowman’
13. ’ Apocalypto’

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Acne Rain posted:

11. ‘Miss Me’

Sherlock crossover confirmed.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
All the "The ____ that _____" is really trodden at this point. I'm dreading those episodes simply on title alone.

Besides the first two, none of them sound particularly interesting either.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm bummed we aren't getting Brian Blessed as Odin this season. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I'm bummed we aren't getting Brian Blessed as Odin this season. :(

I saw/heard him in the National Theatre cafe on Tuesday holding court with a group of friends, and he looked in fine health. I am most aggrieved.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

I saw/heard him in the National Theatre cafe on Tuesday holding court with a group of friends, and he looked in fine health. I am most aggrieved.

Man, goons and meeting people at the National Theatre cafe, amirite?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EatinCake posted:

All the "The ____ that _____" is really trodden at this point. I'm dreading those episodes simply on title alone.

This is almost the definition of overreacting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EatinCake posted:

Good thing "that" doesn't appear in any of the titles.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

EatinCake posted:

I agree that books should be judged by their covers

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So are we actually getting some non-main plotline two parters this year?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

No way to be certain. All we know that happens this year is that apparently there's some kind of really dirty metal humanoid thing that may or may not be a robot or mech suit.

It's not clear.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

marktheando posted:

The last one was, what? The Rebel Flesh?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The last one was, what? The Rebel Flesh?

Yup.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Those did end up tying into the main plotline for that season, though, didn't they? Wasn't that the explanation for how Amy was pregnant/not pregnant, or something like that? Been forever since I've seen that season but I definitely remember it ending by leading into the big storyline reveal shocker.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It seems likely that two-parters are back, including the premiere. I hope if any of them are duds, the dud part is in the first half, so nobody waits a week after the cliffhanger to be let down.

I'm kind of impressed they've gotten so far with only minor spoilers, most of which seem to have been intentionally released. i guess most of what they're filming is interior shots!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Also, some things over from Gallifreybase. As usual, their validity should always be questioned. This got printed by The Mirror, which isn't always uh..reliable, but was later confirmed by one of the few spoilerhounds that is consistently reliable.

The premier involves Davros, and the Doctor being presented with the option to kill him as a child to prevent the Dalek's creation.

Could be interesting and dark as gently caress if true.

Not gonna spoiler this cause spoiler thread! :v:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. If you'd told me 10 years ago about this, I'd have loved the idea of exploring more of pre-apocalypse Skaro and seeing more of the civilization of the Thals and Kaleds outside the Bunker and Thaltown.

On the other hand, Big Finish pretty much covered this exhaustively with the Davros audios, and while I want to trust Moffat not to blow up BF canon, it would kinda suck if all the Davros backstory, his mother, The Supremo, etc was all gone. Of course I guess with the Time War you can use the Terminator explanation of "different, changed timelines" Skaro's history can be anything, and even the "Dals" are a legitimate possible history. I'm still not sure if I want the tv show to go there though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

EatinCake posted:

This is the most "Jaded Doctor Who Internet Fan" comment I have ever loving read.

Ugh

Dirt fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 26, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Doctor Who story title quality is not a good predictor of Doctor Who story quality.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

EatinCake posted:

Stupid used up formulaic titles are as much a part of doctor who as transgendered timelords. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have any more "...of death" episodes, or "the robots of blah" or "the aliens of something"?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Dirt posted:

This is the most "Jaded Doctor Who Internet Fan" comment I have ever loving read.

Ugh
Is it? Yipes.

Not really jaded, I just enjoy titles like 'Kill the Moon' or 'Mummy on the Orient Express', something that instills an image of what excitement the episodes gonna have. It's why I like the first two titles. I suppose last season just really nailed it (for me) with the episode titles.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Stupid used up formulaic titles are as much a part of doctor who as transgendered timelords. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have any more "...of death" episodes, or "the robots of blah" or "the aliens of something"?
Naw. Those things would be rad, as they get you pumped for robots or aliens. "The Girl who Lived" and similar titles that include pronouns as the subject and dull verbs don't really have any effect. Going back though, it does seem they haven't used that as much as I thought they had for titles, just for characters.

It's just my opinion folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Having re-read all the old serial titles and episode titles from the revived series, I want to edit my earlier statement.

qntm posted:

Doctor Who story title quality is not [...] good [...]

Show's got nothing on the original series of Star Trek.

• Locked thread