Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

die iPhone die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

in Spanish it is Búsqueda Spotlight

I'm pretty sure Búsqueda is a noun since a search engine is motor de búsqueda

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

in Spanish it is Búsqueda Spotlight

I'm pretty sure Búsqueda is a noun since a search engine is motor de búsqueda

yes its a "search" so it means "Spotlight Search"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I set my iPhone to herring mode and it came up with spotlight-sökning

maybe you people with hosed up text keys should stop using inferior languages and use English instead as God intended

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why am i searching a spotlight? i want to search my files, contacts, etc.

why is the search icon a magnifying glass but it's called spotlight?

this doesn't make any sense.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

infernal machines posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVVGpNqF7o

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why am i searching a spotlight? i want to search my files, contacts, etc.

this doesn't make any sense.

you are conducting a search with spotlight, putting the results in the "spotlight" so to speak. not that hard to grasp.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

you are conducting a search with spotlight, putting the results in the "spotlight" so to speak. not that hard to grasp.

sure, i'll buy that. bit of a leap though since it says "search spotlight" and not search with spotlight

even then why is the icon a magnifying glass? what does a handheld loupe have to do with spotlights? or search for that matter?

this is terrible design

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

sure, i'll buy that. bit of a leap though since it says "search spotlight" and not search with spotlight

even then why is the icon a magnifying glass? what does a handheld loupe have to do with spotlights? or search for that matter?

this is terrible design

it doesn't say search spotlight

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this is terrible design

it says "spotlight search" not "search spotlight." changing the order of the words changes the meaning.

in computers, the magnifying glass often implies "search" and reinforces the fact that ur searching. pretty simple. you are overthinking this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

it says "spotlight search" not "search spotlight." changing the order of the words changes the meaning.

in computers, the magnifying glass often implies "search" and reinforces the fact that ur searching. pretty simple. you are overthinking this

its loving fail you retard trashcan. the pic should be of a spotlight. jesus christ. you're so loving STUPID

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

minivanmegafun posted:

it doesn't say search spotlight

ownage

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
posting the pro-er dark mode version

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

its loving fail you retard trashcan. the pic should be of a spotlight. jesus christ. you're so loving STUPID

no, the "spotlight" is where the search results appear when you perform a search. its pretty straighforward. take a breather, friend

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it's like "google search" it's a trademark duh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whole lotta mental gymnastics going on itt

are you sure you wouldn't just rather use cortana?

i mean it's called "cortana" and its icon is a double ring, there's nothing even conceptually related to search in there. it's authentically digital

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Cortana is also a verb now. Cortana can Cortana. Truncate the second Cortana and you're left with simply Cortana - indicating its name and also its function. Simple. Perfect. Authentically Digital.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i'd like to cortana cortana if you know what i mean :wiggle:
:goonsay:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
As I walked away from my computer to put on clothes for the day, I continued ruminating on this point, about Cortana, and realized that what I've actually described is the pitch for Bing

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
use cortana to bing cortana

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's good money waiting for you at microsoft if you ever decide to leave community theatre smythe

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
isn't the whole "authentically digital" thing essentially what apple did moving away from ios skeumorphic designs?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stymie posted:

isn't the whole "authentically digital" thing essentially what apple did moving away from ios skeumorphic designs?

Yes, but I think its an entire industry trend. I'm not an expert, but I think MS was the vanguard with Windows 8, then Android and Apple followed suit with Material Design and whatever Yosemite's theme is called respectively. Then again, I don't follow this stuff closely...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Phoenixan posted:

> use cortana to bing cortana:ovr:

That's an interesting command

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Smythe posted:

Cortana is also a verb now. Cortana can Cortana. Truncate the second Cortana and you're left with simply Cortana - indicating its name and also its function. Simple. Perfect. Authentically Digital.

"Cortana" is over. the kids just say "cort" now. next season you can expect microsoft to pay for product placement putting "cort" front and centre in popular tv shows with the youth like arrow and reign.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

use cortana to bing cortana

lol they are definitely going to rebrand bing as cortana

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well maybe "Cortana Windows Live Search Powered By Bing"

for a few months anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Microsoft will literally be Sony

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Luigi Thirty posted:

entertainment execs are the platonic form of Idea Men brought to life

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao oh god :ughh:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
very buzzworthy and cool

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

collab collab collab, let's all collab

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dolomite posted:

collab collab collab, let's all collab

what a totes rando thought

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Smythe posted:

As I walked away from my computer to put on clothes for the day, I continued ruminating on this point, about Cortana, and realized that what I've actually described is the pitch for Bing

wonder when bing will rename to cortana

alternately: windows cortana with bing

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

would bing cortana

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Smythe posted:

whatever Yosemite's theme is called

System 6

thirty two years of conceptual continuity

that's 25 making it an auspicious number for computer mans

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

System 6

thirty two years of conceptual continuity

that's 25 making it an auspicious number for computer mans

i forget what the thing was called but back when you could theme 10.2-3 i used a classic "platinum" theme and it owned

eschaton posted:

wonder when bing will rename to cortana

alternately: windows cortana with bing

cant wait for people to start wondering why they're searching with a japanese samurai sword

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
"authentically digital" is one of the most moronic marketing terms ever.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

i forget what the thing was called but back when you could theme 10.2-3 i used a classic "platinum" theme and it owned

I unironically love how much like the classic Mac the Yosemite interface is, I was overjoyed when I first saw it

MS could probably get the same response from users by reintroducing the styling they ripped off from NeXT for Windows 95-2000

that of course guarantees it will never happen. in the same way that with Bitcoin the funniest option is most likely, with Microsoft the most passive-aggressively user hostile option is most likely

hence the doubling down on Metro styling while simultaneously doing bizarre poo poo like requiring splash screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the digitally authentic future we all so richly deserve

• Locked thread