Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Oh for gently caress sake, Skye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's Jiaying's fault. She told her to do it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"You can't hurt a mountain, Skye."

*buries hundreds of people alive in avalanche, and traps dozens more on mountain with no food or oxygen*

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Sharmat posted:

It's Jiaying's fault. She told her to do it.

:vince:
drat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Irish Joe posted:

"You can't hurt a mountain, Skye."

*buries hundreds of people alive in avalanche, and traps dozens more on mountain with no food or oxygen*

She wasn't wrong though!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Sharmat posted:

I think it's a pretty lovely dad who says "Nope sorry, I'm too moral for this. Go ahead and torture my son to death."

While I understand your point (Who wouldn't do everything possible to save their kids other than crazy rear end mofo's) it still should not excuse him. There should be some sort of consequence to his actions other than, "Here, let us make you even deadlier."

At least it did help that the guy is genuinely not a bad guy and showed remorse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

While I understand your point (Who wouldn't do everything possible to save their kids other than crazy rear end mofo's) it still should not excuse him. There should be some sort of consequence to his actions other than, "Here, let us make you even deadlier."

At least it did help that the guy is genuinely not a bad guy and showed remorse.

Well one consequence is he's working for them as penance rather than roaming free.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm glad that there probably won't be a big AoU tie in since I probably won't see it at first. I didn't see Winter Soldier until way after it came out, but I didn't start watching AoS until after that even so it was ok

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

Why?

They know he did it, they know why he did it, and they know it's highly unlikely he'll do it again without some hugely extenuating circumstances. What should they do to him? And for what reason besides revenge?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Sharmat posted:

Why?

They know he did it, they know why he did it, and they know it's highly unlikely he'll do it again without some hugely extenuating circumstances. What should they do to him? And for what reason besides revenge?

Okay, admitedly he did not do that much bad poo poo, so I guess it could be forgiven up to a point. But seriously, are they going to forgive everyone who gets blackmailed and do poo poo?

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Probably they'll forgive all of the cyborg killing machines with rockets in their arms.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Having the life of a family member and yourself under threat is pretty much the definition of "extenuating circumstances".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

Okay, admitedly he did not do that much bad poo poo, so I guess it could be forgiven up to a point. But seriously, are they going to forgive everyone who gets blackmailed and do poo poo?

It depends on the situation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

wereboat posted:

Probably they'll forgive all of the cyborg killing machines with rockets in their arms.

Well now we know why coulson needs all those bunk beds :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume that this thread will be an Age of Ultron free-for-all after next week's tie-in episode?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MikeJF posted:

I assume that this thread will be an Age of Ultron free-for-all after next week's tie-in episode?

I would hope not

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I hope not. First of all, this is not the movie thread, so people really should try and keep it to the show.
2nd of all, not everyone gets to go see the movie right when it comes out.
3rd: Spoiler tags are click bait. Seriously, who can resist clicking these things?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just thinking back to Winter Solider. It wasn't possible to talk about the show at all without talking about the movie.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
I've seen AoU and there is no connection to the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Yellow Ant posted:

I've seen AoU and there is no connection to the show.

Age of Ultron might not have an obvious connection to the show, but the show might have an obvious connection to Age of Ultron. Same as what happened with Winter Soldier.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Phylodox posted:

Age of Ultron might not have an obvious connection to the show, but the show might have an obvious connection to Age of Ultron. Same as what happened with Winter Soldier.

Well then it'd be discussion about the show then, wouldn't? Anyway, I don't really think it'll be a concern.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dexo posted:

Mind Wipe completely wipes out everything. That he has a daughter everything. He's just a doctor in Milwaukee.

With superpowers. He tinkered on himself to give himself super-strength when he lost his family. He wasn't strong enough. :(

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've finally gotten around to watching the first few episodes of Agent Carter, and wow, it's way better than I had thought it would be. When it came out first I hadn't actually caught up on SHIELD yet (I gave up on like 2 or 3 episodes into the first season). It's probably actually better than AoS, even.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I've finally gotten around to watching the first few episodes of Agent Carter, and wow, it's way better than I had thought it would be. When it came out first I hadn't actually caught up on SHIELD yet (I gave up on like 2 or 3 episodes into the first season). It's probably actually better than AoS, even.

It starts off better than AoS for sure. Whether it is better overall is debatable.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, Agent Carter, by virtue of being a mini-series, is much more cohesive and well crafted, basically because its just another Marvel movie only serialized. AoS had to piddle around for 2/3 of a season while laying ground work for the huge bomb in Captain America 2. I feel like AoS should only be judged post Captain America 2, but even then its hard to compare a full tv series to a mini-series.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Isn't Agent Carter just a miniseries because it's extremely unlikely that it's going to get renewed for a second season?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Sharmat posted:

Isn't Agent Carter just a miniseries because it's extremely unlikely that it's going to get renewed for a second season?

It was planned to be a one time mini-series, but it did well enough that they are considering making another one. It was never intended to be renewed, thats the point of a miniseries. Its just a movie spread out over a couple weeks.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

swickles posted:

It was planned to be a one time mini-series, but it did well enough that they are considering making another one. It was never intended to be renewed, thats the point of a miniseries. Its just a movie spread out over a couple weeks.

Just finished it, it was really fun - they certainly left enough dangling plot threads for a second season - the whole deal with Leviathan, the hypnotist getting recruited into Hydra, Dotty, the fact that SHIELD doesn't exist yet.. It seems like they certainly really WANTED to make a second season.

Also, Jarvis was pretty amazing.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Since I finished Daredevil yesterday and needed a new Netflix binge, I have started re-watching season 1 of SHIELD. On episode 2, Skye accepts becoming part of the team and she's moving her bags and boxes into the Bus and there is a little hula-girl figurine dancing on top of her pile of stuff. Re: Cal's hula-girl, "I have one of these" :D Yay for little throwbacks.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

drat Bananas posted:

Since I finished Daredevil yesterday and needed a new Netflix binge, I have started re-watching season 1 of SHIELD. On episode 2, Skye accepts becoming part of the team and she's moving her bags and boxes into the Bus and there is a little hula-girl figurine dancing on top of her pile of stuff. Re: Cal's hula-girl, "I have one of these" :D Yay for little throwbacks.

That is amazing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

counterfeitsaint posted:

That is amazing.

So far AoS has had a pretty solid continuity I think. Although I think Gravitron might become AoS' version of the Hurley Bird.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I had completely forgotten about that gravity stuff until I google'd "gravitron". Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they never bring it up again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
GraviTON. No R.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

GraviTON. No R.

Oh fine, the scientist with the spinny inky material that makes up go down worse than a night of binge drinking.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dalael posted:

Uh, no it totally excuses him. There's a legal concept for situations exactly like this where you are forced to do something against your will by threats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duress

Committing a criminal act while under duress can be legal and justified in a court of law, and threatening to torture and kill your child and/or explode your head definitely counts as duress.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

HotCanadianChick posted:

Uh, no it totally excuses him. There's a legal concept for situations exactly like this where you are forced to do something against your will by threats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duress

quote:

the general rule, both at common law and today, is that duress is never a defense to murder; that is, one is never justified in killing another innocent person even if one's own life has been threatened,

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

And 9/10 I'll bet that a prosecutor will never charge a man who was forced to kill to prevent their own child from being killed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And 9/10 I'll bet that a prosecutor will never charge a man who was forced to kill to prevent their own child from being killed.

But his life will still be forever destroyed by the wrongful death lawsuit

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And the nice thing about being part of an illegal super secret spy agency that regularly deals with all sorts of things the law probably isn't quite prepared for, is nobody actually is going to take him to court over this. Duress laws weren't written to encompass cyborgs with eye-bombs with evil nazi scientists holding his son hostage. That's pretty much the definition of extenuating circumstances - a normal person under duress to kill might be considered to have some duty to attempt to escape or call for help, but a normal person under duress doesn't have an eye bomb recording his every move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, uh, Tuesday's episode is going to be loving insane from the sound of it. Major spoilers are at least implied.

http://www.hypable.com/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-2x19-hints/

• Locked thread