Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

I unironically love how much like the classic Mac the Yosemite interface is, I was overjoyed when I first saw it

MS could probably get the same response from users by reintroducing the styling they ripped off from NeXT for Windows 95-2000

that of course guarantees it will never happen. in the same way that with Bitcoin the funniest option is most likely, with Microsoft the most passive-aggressively user hostile option is most likely

hence the doubling down on Metro styling while simultaneously doing bizarre poo poo like requiring splash screens

i still say the old whistler watercolor theme was just the right balance between windows classic + new poo poo (i was going to say "modern" but that's already been appropriated thanks ms)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

windows 7 theme is the pinnacle of computer/human interaction

Mac OS 7.5 is close

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Win7 looks like trash

It is functional but all the gaudy translucency is some Linux tier poo poo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

i forget what the thing was called but back when you could theme 10.2-3 i used a classic "platinum" theme and it owned

shapeshifter, there was a theme, goodgrey, that was pretty similar to how yosemite looks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

i still say the old whistler watercolor theme was just the right balance between windows classic + new poo poo (i was going to say "modern" but that's already been appropriated thanks ms)

win8 gets pretty close to it on the desktop

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Microsoft will literally be Sony

please post more of what i am assuming is the sony leaks.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Virion posted:

shapeshifter, there was a theme, goodgrey, that was pretty similar to how yosemite looks

yeah that was it. i knew it wasnt kaleidoscope but didnt want to mention it because :corsair:

carry on then posted:

win8 gets pretty close to it on the desktop

win 8 looks like complete celluloid garbage

the fonts are all of the place, the rectangular window controls look stupid, there is no non-gaudy color scheme (if you try and make it gray or black the title bar font color doesn't change so its unreadable), and the titlebars have way too much padding for absolutely no reason

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i could probably come up with more reasons but i dont want to subject myself to looking at a screenshot of windows 8

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

it was so good!!

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm p sure that win 10's target audience is people who write e-mails like this

especially with them shipping a browser with which you can circle things

"hey just a rando thought" (circles a thing on the company website) "think you can make this pop more?"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pinterest Mom posted:

it was so good!!

ms could have replaced all of the icons at an even slower pace since it even worked well with the old win2k icons

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

even windows media centre was... fine

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i don't understand how that happened bu ti'm not complaining

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

Win7 looks like trash

It is functional but all the gaudy translucency is some Linux tier poo poo

the only real problem with Aero Glass is the gigantic empty space at the top of Explorer windows, its otherwise a p. nice theme

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

duTrieux. posted:

i don't understand how that happened bu ti'm not complaining
maybe microsoft is actually the next iomega

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i liek gnome 3

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
things that windows doesnt have for some reason:

1) natifve always on top
2) expose clone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

windows should let me save the window state, e.g., size and placement of everything on the screen, and then let me activate that whenever

if windows in said state are not open when activated, anything that is open will still be arranged. new windows are left where they are.

that would be very helpful.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

windows should let me save the window state, e.g., size and placement of everything on the screen, and then let me activate that whenever

if windows in said state are not open when activated, anything that is open will still be arranged. new windows are left where they are.

john siracusa spotted

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

for being called windows its amazing how bad it is at window management

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the only window management thing that windows does that I like is dragging a window all the way to the side to make it use half the screen

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

the only window management thing that windows does that I like is dragging a window all the way to the side to make it use half the screen

i wish this could work on the half between two monitors

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i wish this could work on the half between two monitors
Win key + left/right arrow

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Linguica posted:

Win key + left/right arrow

haha keep pressing it fast and the window will inchworm across the screens

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

this is exactly what I've been trying to say when I say all marvel movies suck

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LastInLine posted:

for being called windows its amazing how bad it is at window management

i know, right‽

Pinterest Mom posted:

john siracusa spotted

there are worse things to be called

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

duTrieux. posted:

i know, right‽

there are worse things to be called

gonna miss his os x reviews :(

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
widow management is one of the few things that is actually improved in w10

task view (win+tab) now gives an expose/mission-control-style view, where you can drag the thumbnails to other desktops and close windows from the view

when snapping an app to the side when on the desktop, if that's the only snapped app for that monitor then the rest of open windows will also go into an expose view on the other side, where you could select one of them to fill the other half, so you know when that 1 time a year hits when you want 2 windows divided perfectly on your display, there you go

still though, usual MS lack of attention to detail where it doesn't catch up to Expose in 10.2, or hell expose clones available since XP

- window previews scale like poo poo, if you invoke the task view with say, just 3 explorer windows the previews are still so small that it's hard to discern which is which - barely any different in size as when you have 10 open windows, albeit this may change in the final

- no spatial grouping, windows are grouped in the order how they opened - eg if you opened 6 explorer windows, then 2 browser windows, then an explorer - that's how they're displayed, in a grid, al lthe same size with arrows at the bottom to move to the "next page', loving lol

- while you can drag and drop windows to other desktops, you can't drag items into the windows when in task view and have them open up or just drop the object onto it - then again since 'modern' apps don't support drag and drop with the desktop enabling this would create an inconsistency, so again the no compromises OS strikes again

so yes, an improvement - still poo poo, but a few less corn kernels

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
so can you just halve a window and just not have to select anything else for the other side? or does it just stick an expose type view over there until you select something?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

'modern' apps don't support drag and drop with the desktop

:vince:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

can Metro Modern Immersive Windows apps even use the OLE APIs?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sudo Echo posted:

gonna miss his os x reviews :(

it will just happen in podcast form on ATP, which is what he should have done at least a year or two ago.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Scott Forstall posted:

it will just happen in podcast form on ATP, which is what he should have done at least a year or two ago.

but ATP is insufferable because marco is a really really stupid but nobody tells him he's wrong ever

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but ATP is insufferable because marco is a really really stupid but nobody tells him he's wrong ever

would you say he's a mailboxhead?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

idk what that means

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk what that means

drop the hammer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk what that means

it means you're first against the wall under martian law

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Cocoa Crispies posted:

richpeople.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
im super bummed Siracusa didn't get a ticket to WWDC this year

• Locked thread