Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
gently caress's sake stop taking the bait people. Its a vaguely provocative nonsense statement and he's got you riled up over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

LuiCypher posted:

Fixed that for you. Yeah, it's really hard to notice that 40K takes place in a future fascist grimdark hellscape and is fascist about pretty much everything. I think the posters above are just glad that regardless of what's been written before by GW and fanboys, the WH40K RPGs deliberately avoid extremely skeevy territory. They're probably the best introduction to 40K, and definitely the least expensive.

In the last thread I posted a quote from a guy who took umbrage when I referred to the Imperium as a fascist institution in an off-hand comment. Like I was sullying the good term.

It came out later that he was a rape apologist and gamer gater. Shocking, I know.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Clanpot Shake posted:

It came out later that he was a rape apologist and gamer gater. Shocking, I know.
Was it James "GrimJim" Desborough?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Not unless he's weirdly invested in the 40k RPG's adherence to fluff consistency.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

lifg posted:

I'm not even convinced that all OSR were about "rulings over rules". Original DnD maybe, but 1st edition was written with tournament play partially in mind, which meant everyone playing the same game.

The OSR is more specialized towards a play-style than an umbrella community for all pre-WotC D&D.

2nd Edition retroclones are virtually non-existent, and the overwhelming amount of blogs, products, etc, focus on Original and Basic D&D and its spiritual sequels (Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, etc). Nothing wrong with that, but it can be confusing when folk walk in and ask "where's all the AD&D support?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Effectronica posted:

the whole "sex is gross and involves tentacles, slime, and lobster arms" thing is pretty much exactly how fascists approach(ed) sex and sexuality

according to wilhelm reich, anyway. but yeah, it's not so much that 40k rpgs are 'dancing around' the idea of fascism as they are sort of explicitly stating it. this isn't particularly controversial stuff. 'sex is gross and weird and leads to disunity' is very much a part of toxic male nerd culture (oh no! our friendship has been ruined by X running off to have sex with Y instead of rolling dice with us!) and it's absolutely no surprise that this is reflected in 40K's attitudes toward sex.

this has gently caress all to do with elf slave rape though.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Mechanicus Initiate: HOW IS KROOT BABBY FORMED? HOW KROOT GET PRAGNENT?

Magos Biologis: They need to do way instain mother. Who kill their babbys, becuse these babby cant frigth back? It was on the vox this mroing, a mother in Pech who had kill her three kids. They are taking the three babby back to T'au too lady to rest my pary are with the father who lost his chrilden; i am truley sorry for your lots.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Libertad! posted:

The OSR is more specialized towards a play-style than an umbrella community for all pre-WotC D&D.

2nd Edition retroclones are virtually non-existent, and the overwhelming amount of blogs, products, etc, focus on Original and Basic D&D and its spiritual sequels (Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, etc). Nothing wrong with that, but it can be confusing when folk walk in and ask "where's all the AD&D support?"

Isn't Dark Dungeons/Darker Dungeons an AD&D retroclone with a decent amount of support?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Isn't Dark Dungeons/Darker Dungeons an AD&D retroclone with a decent amount of support?

It's a BECMI retroclone.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah Dark Dungeons is a clone of the Rules Cyclopedia, which was all the BECMI stuff collected into a single volume. Darker Dungeons is an attempt to modernize that with stuff like base attack bonuses, ascending AC and non-random abillity scores and HP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ah, fair enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Dark Dungeons is based on the Rules Compendium. OSRIC is the most popular retroclone based on AD&D 1e. There's also at least one AD&D 2e-based retroclone that I know of, For Gold and Glory, but Libertad is correct that the vast majority of the OSR revolves around OD&D and BECMI.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah, OSRIC was what I was thinking of. :ughh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hackmaster 3e demonstrated that WotC still gave GW levels of fucks about the intellectual property associated with AD&D2e. (Probably just because it was the biggest money cRPG associated with the brand.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
ENWorld hates it when people ask if 5e's license has been released.

The only reason this thread pops up again and again is that people are passive-aggressively protesting against WotCs decision not to prioritize any license.

In a most irritating and completely useless manner; since WotC isn't basing it's business decisions on threads at EN world.

So, yeah. It would be far preferable if new threads were started, since that would mean these people would have to retype their arguments.

More work means fewer posts. And each time, the arguing would get lighter, just like time heals all wounds.

Meanwhile, when and if any real info becomes available, all these threads will be instantly ignored for new ones.

Meaning that, yes, there are all kinds of reasons to lock this sucker and put a lid on the infected bile.

PS. Especially if the main reason for a monthly "overwatch" is simply to circumvent Morris' decision in the first post. That is, to make this shambling mound never get five months old.

Folks, a rotting pile of leaves is still a rotting pile of leaves no matter how often you stir it.

------

LEAVE %E ALONE!

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I wonder if any of those same people were quite so sanguine about the GSL when 4e came out.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

This was my experience, exactly. Kevin runs Rifts like a narrative/story game; he uses the crunch as benchmarks in his head. He doesn't really grok games like Fate or Cortex Plus, but would love them. 

In the con game I participated in, he had a blast running for those of us ignoring our sheets and just RPing and thoroughly describing our actions. He shut the rules-lawyer down and eventually killed his character, after the guy tried to argue a rule Kevin had written. We had paid to be involved in that game, too (charity game) and those of us who knew the rules-lawyer finally had some justice for all of our Palladium games he had killed our joy for and ruined our campaigns. 

A medium crunch game like SW would be right up his alley. Just don't expect him to roll out miniatures are chuck dice the way you expect.

As little context as I have, I manage to doubt they tried "talk to the problem player in kind honesty, and failing that part ways." No, the adult thing to do is make the guy pay to play a game where the author himself can poo poo on him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plague of Hats posted:

No, the adult thing to do is make the guy pay to play a game where the author himself can poo poo on him.

To be fair this pretty much describes the Rifts experience.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
What's wrong with making GBS threads on rule lawyers?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

It promotes the kind of players-vs-GM atmosphere that encourages people to rules-lawyer for every "defence" against the other side they can get. Also it's always better to just talk to people about why something's a problem instead of passive-aggressively taking it out on them through the game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RottenK posted:

What's wrong with making GBS threads on rule lawyers?

The fact that Kevin Sembieda's definition of "rules lawyer" probably includes "anyone who tries to hold him, the guy who plasters his name on every single Rifts book, to the rules he copy/pastes without playtesting and charges people money for and then can't even be bothered to use." Every single anecdote and story that anyone who's ever met and/or worked with Sembieda paints a picture of a massively passive-aggressive (and plain ol' aggressive), scummy, insufferable rear end in a top hat, so I'm hugely skeptical that the person being discussed actually deserved to be shat upon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

To sum up and agree with the last two posts:

1) I'm pretty dubious about what these guys consider a "rules lawyer."

2) Regardless, that's a lovely, childish thing to do.

EDIT: :laffo:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 24, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Here's some slightly offbeat grog from the delusional business idea bin

quote:

Hello RPG.Net!

I've been out of the hobby for awhile and yet it's always in the back of my mind. Recently, I've been on an entrepreneurial kick and had an idea. I wonder why no business model seems to be out there for RPG supply (map, miniatures, books, dice) rental, only retail. It seems a fair share of the stuff ends up used a limited number of times (really, how often do you need to break out that black dragon mini or the Temple of Lolth map?) and then either ends up on a shelf or back on eBay. Has anybody seen a supply rental operation and if one existed, would you avail yourself of it instead of buying new or used? Just trying to gauge market interest.

Thanks for any feedback.

quote:

I've suspected it might be cost-prohibitive, but the first step before I even try and run numbers and check revenue vs expenses is to see if there was even a demand. I came up with the concept because I've wanted access to a variety of maps and minis for limited time frames without having to horde them. I personally would think some maps or minis might only be used for a single adventure or two, but it would be nice to have them (the higher encounter-level type of monsters, for example). Same thing for exotic terrain beyond your standard dungeon crawl. But as I float the idea out there, it seems a fair segment enjoys the hording aspect and having their own stockpile. So, I at least am disproving that my personal preferences are mainstream.
The American cult of "Entrepreneurship" has a lot to answer for...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Grognards.txt: Look at all these Arby's opinions.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FMguru posted:

Here's some slightly offbeat grog from the delusional business idea bin

The American cult of "Entrepreneurship" has a lot to answer for...
This sounds like a useful sideline for a hobby shop honestly. Or as an added benny if you run a game in the store.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

This sounds like a useful sideline for a hobby shop honestly. Or as an added benny if you run a game in the store.

There are at least a few stores in Kansas of all places that just have spare crap for gamers to use, beyond the usual Warhams terrain.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Dude loses his poo poo over New World of Darkness abandoning metaplot:

quote:

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars shine when they abandon cannon. Guns ‘N Roses better without the band! Forgotten Realms more compelling without Drizzt and Dark Elves!

Do these things sound completely ridiculous to you? Well that’s because they are. The very premise that the World of Darkness franchise is better, and “best” served when it abandons any of the core value propositions and unique mythology that originally set it apart from any other role-playing game or Vampire/horror mythology isn’t just wrong, it’s dead wrong and absolutely rubbish.

Let’s take Lord of the Rings and Star Wars as franchises by way of comparison. Would these franchises mean much of anything without the compelling mythology and stories that brought them to life? The stories and the mythology are what made these originally and iconic. They became a cultural phenomenon’s because they offered a compelling rich mythology that also tapped into a cultural identity. Can you imagine these iconic franchises as “just a set of rules” with no real backbone or cultural relevance? If you are thinking well that’s what the Star Wars prequels descended into then you would be correct. The concept that the World of Darkness franchise is better because White Wolf gutted the original mythology and just made the “game rules better” is akin to making an argument that the Star Wars prequels are better because they had better special effects. Or that the current Axl Rose “version” of Gun’s and Roses’ (without any of the original band) is better because he’s hired a bunch of “technically superior” studio session musicians.

The World of Darkness and Vampire in specific was a franchise built on the very premise that “the rules don’t matter”. The rules are only a necessary evil if you must to help the story along. The World of Darkness built its very identity on its mythology, cultural relevance and being a compelling franchise by NOT being a D&D type “rules first” RPG. There are many flaws with this “New” version but the single biggest flaw is the blatant betrayal of the core values that the franchise was built upon.

The “New” World of Darkness’ strongest selling point (being this is a toolbox RPG first and foremost) is and of itself the very antithesis of what made the franchise a global phenomenon in the first place.

The New World of Darkness does nothing to aspire to be anything more than what it is, that being simply a role play game about supernatural creatures. Wizards of the Coast have suffered a similar fate with their 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons as it suffered many of the same flaws as the New World of Darkness. Those being that in the end these games were lackluster “in name only” versions compared to what came before.

There is a reason True Blood, Underworld and Blade are arguably bigger and better franchises despite the fact that like the New World of Darkness they are all obvious rip offs of it. They at least had the common sense to rip off the best parts of the franchise, those being the story and the mythology. The New World of Darkness is little better than a photocopy of a photocopy. It feels flat and as was said before aspires to little beyond what it is. As a “toolbox” RPG if it wasn’t named World of Darkness it would be OK. Not great and not terrible. It’s better than GURPS, but far less than D20 by a wide margin.

As a franchise called “World of Darkness” there is a reason this version doesn’t have comics, cards, toys, video games or a TV series based upon it. This version may have better "rules” but that’s not what the World of Darkness Frachinse was ever about in the first place.

The World of Darkness is absolutely NOT best when it abandons objective truth. It completely loses the soul that it had and is little more than the very games it once defined itself against.

We do NOT win when the World of Darkness plays fast and loose with canon.

Call this version whatever you like but give is back a "World of Darkness" franchise that had heart and defined itself by not by its “game rules” but by its culture and its social relevance!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

quote:

Forgotten Realms more compelling without Drizzt and Dark Elves!

Correct! A Good Grogpost.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libertad! posted:

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars shine when they abandon cannon. Guns ‘N Roses better without the band! Forgotten Realms more compelling without Drizzt and Dark Elves!
Debateable, Yes, No Opinion, Yes.

Oh, he was being sarcastic.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Libertad! posted:

There is a reason True Blood, Underworld and Blade are arguably bigger and better franchises despite the fact that like the New World of Darkness they are all obvious rip offs of it. They at least had the common sense to rip off the best parts of the franchise, those being the story and the mythology.

Yeah, Blade sure is an obvious WoD ripoff. Despite, you know, being older than the RPG hobby itself and all that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Chances are that guy isn't even aware that Blade has a longer and more storied history than the movies.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Sage Genesis posted:

Yeah, Blade sure is an obvious WoD ripoff. Despite, you know, being older than the RPG hobby itself and all that.

The first Blade movie lifted its entire setting and plot from VtM, though. Like, the only thing in the movie that actually comes from the comics is the basic concept of "there's a black guy named Blade who fights vampires, and the head vampire he fights is named Deacon Frost", and even then, both characters are radically different in the comics than they are in the movie. In particular, the comics version of Deacon Frost is a geriatric alchemist whose magic bite creates clones of people, whereas in the movie he's a sleazy young-looking guy who wears expensive designer outfits, spends half his time in sexy gothic nightclubs and the other half in isolated million-dollar penthouse suites, and has a master plan that builds up to awakening an Antediluvian Blood God via the secrets hidden in the Book of Nod Erebus.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
He's talking about the movies.

New World of Dodging(Taxes)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

gtrmp posted:

The first Blade movie lifted its entire setting and plot from VtM, though. Like, the only thing in the movie that actually comes from the comics is the basic concept of "there's a black guy named Blade who fights vampires, and the head vampire he fights is named Deacon Frost", and even then, both characters are radically different in the comics than they are in the movie. In particular, the comics version of Deacon Frost is a geriatric alchemist whose magic bite creates clones of people, whereas in the movie he's a sleazy young-looking guy who wears expensive designer outfits, spends half his time in sexy gothic nightclubs and the other half in isolated million-dollar penthouse suites, and has a master plan that builds up to awakening an Antediluvian Blood God via the secrets hidden in the Book of Nod Erebus.

Ah. SO what you're saying is that Wesley Snipes is a fan of cWoD.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm pretty sure Wesley Snipes is a fan of nothing except Wesley Snipes.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ronwayne posted:

I'm pretty sure Wesley Snipes is a fan of nothing except Wesley Snipes.

Incorrect. He's also a fan of both weed and tax evasion.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ratoslov posted:

Incorrect. He's also a fan of both weed and tax evasion.

And post-it notes.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Maxwell Lord posted:

BRB, designing a system where every action you attempt has a chance of causing bears to appear.

Someone already beat you to it: Bear World

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Bear World posted:

Declare your action: tell the Bear Master (henceforth referred to as “BM”)
This is some pretty cutting satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Man, I love the oWoD and even I don't think abandoning the metaplot and going with the nWoD style was a bad idea. One that saddens me a little, sure, but not a bad one. By the end there was a lot of metaplot, a lot of conflicting loose ends, and every other book had gone in a completely different direction. The mechanics were lovely half the time, the stories were getting harder and harder to grasp without a full knowledge of what came before, and things were so contradictory that to claim it had any real 'objective truths' beyond a few big ones was pretty false. As for playing fast and loose with canon, don't even get me started.

I have a project that's pretty drat grog itself, making an encyclopedia of the whole setting, and White Wolf played pretty fast and loose themselves, usually for the better. But as usual, grogs tend to be deluded and have some hardcore rose-coloured glasses.

• Locked thread