Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Finally got the 4rth level meat boy today. I pretty much set out to do this, because in past random runs, even with the Book of Revelations starting from the basement, the game would still gently caress me over and give me alternative bosses before the Mom level and the Conquest in the Womb (if I had meat boy level 3 and still cared).

So I tried to do the Book of Manuel trick, but I got everything except that book (funny how it shows up in every other run when I don't want it), even re-rolling as much as possible

And then, starting ove,r I get the Book of Revs in the basement. And this timeI just barely got the achievement by fighting Death on the Womb I. IIRC it was similarily hard to get 4rth level bandage girl, although I managed to get that in some of my intermediate runs. Super Meat boy I got after I got all the other achievements... minus The Lost ones because gently caress that poo poo.

It bugs me that they would make this so hard to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

That's exactly where I'm at. Need Lvl 4 Meat Boy, last achievement before I open up The Lost. Oddly I got Bandage Girl no problem.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I had a pretty neat combo today. First I got brimstone, then the bent spoon, followed by mom's knife. The knife would fire as normal, but once it returned to me, a huge spray of super fast knives would fire and chase down all the enemies in the room. I ended up killing satan in 2 or 3 shots per form and the lost without getting hit. Not sure if any other items played into that, it was a pretty lucky run overall.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Could somebody explain to me the appeal of the Rubber Cement? I had a run with Death's Touch and some other stuff that was going okay, then I picked that up and things went to poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's the one that makes tears bounce, right? It means tears can hit more than one time and, with high enough fire rate and enough tears on screen, you can do some insane damage. It's not always useful but it's not bad or anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's basically a straight upgrade to your tears, especially if you have high range and tear stats, but it gets a bit wonky when penetrative shots get involved.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The run I just had was a bit schizophrenic. I started as Judas with the intent of taking on Mega Satan because why not.

I was getting a lot of spider related items. Sissy Longlegs, Mom's Wig, and Dad's Love. Too bad there's no spider transformation.

In the Cathedral, I only went through four or five rooms to get to the Isaac fight.

On the other hand...

I only got two Guppy items. I hate it when the game plays with my emotions up like that.

And again, the game gave me Death in Womb I as my only Horseman of the run.

In Womb 2, there was a double lock door that contained a Donation machine and a fuckton of coins... except I'd already jammed my Donation machine for the run.

And then I got to the Chest with my shiny Golden Key, and the game pegged me with Curse of the Unknown :toot:

I still managed to beat Mega Satan, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Platinumgod's hosting has expired, life is over

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Platinumgod's hosting has expired, life is over

The site is working right now, though?

Anyway, I generally prefer the wiki if I want to look up something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

The site is working right now, though?

I get sent to http://123-reg-expired.co.uk if I go to platinumgod.co.uk or platinumgod.com.

And I like platinum god because all I want to check are a) what the Dice Room does if it's not 5, and b) which colour Experimental Treatment is because I always forget.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The site still loads normally for me, on both domain names.
E: Strange, if I try going to its raw ip address, it does redirect me to that page you mentioned. Going there through the domain name, it works normally. Huh.

In case anyone wants to recommend this game to their friends or something, it's 33% off on Steam this weekend.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 24, 2015

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

I'm always impressed by how this game can troll you even when handing you great RNG.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brimstone, 1000%

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I almost never get the scythes so I would go for them for fun.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I always think "This is gonna be awesome" when I get the scythes, and then they're almost always undermining. A bit like coming into Rebirth and picking up Technology, it's just poo poo now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Started as Cain, first room gave me a gold chest with Cricket's Head and then the treasure room (which I went to last, just before the boss) gave me Cricket's Body :getin:

But then I had a range less than the Number One range for some reason, couldn't hit The Haunt without standing directly on top of him and died very quickly :saddowns:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Knife + Brim + Spoonbender is something to see in action.

If you tap the fire button instead of charging it, you just spew knives that zip all around the screen before converging on some poor bastard enemy.

Like a swarm of angry, purple bees.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 24, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I always think "This is gonna be awesome" when I get the scythes, and then they're almost always undermining. A bit like coming into Rebirth and picking up Technology, it's just poo poo now.

Eh, Death's Touch does give a huge damage up, a bit more than other damage ups, along with piercing shots, so I'd say it's a good pickup if you don't want to deal with heavy tear modifiers. But yeah, what happened to Technology? Didn't it used to be a good pickup in flash Isaac?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I'm always impressed by how this game can troll you even when handing you great RNG.

Brimstone, leave room, kill self, Death's Touch, kill self, Abaddon. Still have 6x lives and 6 black hearts. :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think the main thing that's killed technology is that the beam used to get bigger as you got higher damage (in the same way that tears do). Now it is and always will be this tiny thin beam that you need to aim pretty precisely by comparison with tears or brimstone or whatever.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah, unless you get Spoonbender with it, technology is kind of bleh.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah for whatever reason technology is so underwhelming in Rebirth, it doesn't give a damage down or anything though. Death's Touch on the other hand is an amazing item in addition to being a big damage up. Abaddon is also a 1.5 damage up (also a speed up, versus Death's Touch slight tears down). I mean obviously if you're all 100% GOTTA WIN then take Brimstone, but I'd be happy with any one of those three items.

As for that fun-hater above who doesn't like Rubber Cement, I don't even know how to respond to that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I tend to not enjoy Death's Touch much. Even with the bigger-than-usual damage increase it's not *that* different, tear rate gets slightly reduced, and piercing shot is a mixed blessing since it means you give up knockback. It just ends up not feeling as strong as it should.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Vakal posted:

Knife + Brim + Spoonbender is something to see in action.

If you tap the fire button instead of charging it, you just spew knives that zip all around the screen before converging on some poor bastard enemy.

Like a swarm of angry, purple bees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1feGrIkxcA
yep. one of my favourite combos. Got loki's horns in the chest for even more knife barrage.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I'm guessing that despite what ^^^^ posters say, you can't actually take any of those items with only one red heart?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm guessing that despite what ^^^^ posters say, you can't actually take any of those items with only one red heart?

No, you totally can take 2 heart items with only 1 heart. It's just you'd want all of them :negative:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Carbon dioxide posted:

You can, theres no health defict in rebirth, the only problem would be getting back in if you dont have goat head since you dont have belial

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If you kill yourself in the boss room with your 24 bombs you should be able to get back in.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If you kill yourself in the boss room with your 24 bombs you should be able to get back in.
Joker card on the cathedral. It's a great devil deal, just I'd been getting crap devil deals all game and now the game gives me 3 great items but I can only take 1. Still beats getting angel deals because of a basement 2 krampus.

Is there something like spidermod for Rebirth yet? I'd love to do all item pool runs again. Also it'd be nice having the ability to say "not today" with annoying repeat appearances of experimental treatment or shoop da whoop.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Sanctum posted:

If you have Goat Head, just take one and kill yourself on the fire, get Abbadon last. If you don't, take one, almost kill yourself on the fire, blow yourself up in the boss room. Do it again, then end on Abbadon.

And people say Dead Cat isn't OP.

e: ^ oh that's lame

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

To be fair, Brimstone alone is incredibly good and useful

but this is yet another reason why red health sucks

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Absolutely crazy run here That's Chocolate Milk, Holy Mantle, Ipecac, Sad Bombs, Headless Baby, Dark Bum and Guppy. Everything was constantly exploding

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
With the Steven fight, has anyone thought to see if killing little Steven before big Steven might give you the Steven power-up instead of Little Steve?

steven steven steven steve

Here's a seed where you fight Steven in floor 1:
N8LC
0MCX

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

IMJack posted:

With the Steven fight, has anyone thought to see if killing little Steven before big Steven might give you the Steven power-up instead of Little Steve?

steven steven steven steve

Here's a seed where you fight Steven in floor 1:
N8LC
0MCX

I don't think killing one or the other first makes a difference. At least, there isn't any substantial evidence that that's the case.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Fano posted:

I don't think killing one or the other first makes a difference. At least, there isn't any substantial evidence that that's the case.

People have been saying this for a longass time and I'm convinced it makes no difference.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sanctum posted:

What's the interaction between Brimstone and Death's Scythe anyway?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
Scythes are +1.5 damage and a moderate tears down. You get a regular brimstone with those effects applied

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a real shame that you don't spew a mouthful of scythes like you do knives with Brimstone+Mom's Knife.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's a real shame that you don't spew a mouthful of scythes like you do knives with Brimstone+Mom's Knife.

I agree, I know for Afterbirth, Ed crowdsourced reddit for ideas for new items, but I hope just as much attention is given to current item combinations and making them cooler. Monstro's lung in particular could be ridiculous if it synergized with a lot more items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Ed crowdsourced reddit for item synergies as well.