Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

OhDearGodNo posted:

The game is going to be a massive failure.

I want an assassin model but I'm not shelling out for the game to get it.

They aren't even pretending to hide the fact that the assassins will be individually available later for ~$30 a pop. The White Dwarf teaser says something like "currently the only way to get these assassin models."

In other news, I bought into Dropzone Commander today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

FrostyPox posted:

It appears the board game is "Assassins go through a building, into a chamber, and murder a sorcerer". That's it. Seems to me the replay value is super-limited.

But it's OK because you get twenty-five beautiful Citadel MIniatures, and isn't that all anyone could ever want?

EDIT: I dunno, maybe the room tiles add some variety to the game. I don't play a lot of board games, but I'm willing to bet you can get far better games for $125.

It looks a lot like the D&D Adventure System Games, except far less modular. Flip a room, flip a critter, kill it. At some point you'd flip the thing that lets you go to the endgame room and fight the boss.

Well, the price tag doesn't look a lot like it and the components look a lot cheaper (except those jewel-like objects of wonder).

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I foundD those dnd adventure systems generally pretty Fun. Scratches the rpg itch, hard enough to keep you honest, and simple enough it's really fun for non board game nerds to play.

I was looking at the new Zombicide but does anyone have advice for other good team dungeon crawlers? Oh yeah Pandemic is awesome but not exactly the genre. Anyone play the mantic one?

Also no one in this thread is mentioning space hulk.

Doctor Borris fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 26, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Borris posted:

I was looking at the new Zombicide but does anyone have advice for other good team dungeon crawlers?

Last page I mentioned Star Wars Imperial Assault, which the general consensus of the board game thread is "like Descent but better, the rulebook is by FFG and therefore sucks." It's also $25 cheaper than Assassinorum. Disclaimer, I have yet to play it myself but the board game thread generally has good recommendations in my experience.

quote:

Also no one in this thread is mentioning space hulk.

I played Space Hulk once on some Flash site years ago, and my overwhelming impression was "this is what people are nostalgaing hard over? Really?" I know that bagging on GW's games is de rigueur in this thread but realtalk, I found it to be a game where whether you won or lost seemed to come down to how hard the dice hosed you and the available strategies and level of interaction were pretty shallow. If it was like a $20-30 game I could maybe see the appeal, but for the $100-some-odd they were asking for I found it about as ridiculous as the assassins thing is now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doctor Borris posted:

Anyone play the mantic one?

The current Mantic one (Dwarf King's Hold)is a little old, and has a couple balance issues iirc, I think there's a mission that's literally impossible to win if the DM is a prick f.ex. The new Mantic one (Dungeon Saga) is due to backers in a couple months, and retail around the same time.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry/302835446422577?fref=nf

He hasn't specified, seems like he had it at a FLGS to show it off and a semi-regular just walked off with it maybe?

Aw man that's not hilarity, that's sad. From the comments it looks like his painter stole it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The GW hardcores in the Bad Thread need to step up their "drinking the Flavor-Aid" game, this guy off of Dakka that you quoted has them beat by miles. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kai Tave posted:

Last page I mentioned Star Wars Imperial Assault, which the general consensus of the board game thread is "like Descent but better, the rulebook is by FFG and therefore sucks." It's also $25 cheaper than Assassinorum. Disclaimer, I have yet to play it myself but the board game thread generally has good recommendations in my experience.

There's also a Cthulhu game based on this engine, Mansions of Madness I think.

And if you want some "back when GW was good" nostalgia, the GW/MB Heroquest is loads of fun, and Warhammer Quest has all the random tables your heart desires.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I played Space Hulk once on some Flash site years ago, and my overwhelming impression was "this is what people are nostalgaing hard over? Really?" I know that bagging on GW's games is de rigueur in this thread but realtalk, I found it to be a game where whether you won or lost seemed to come down to how hard the dice hosed you and the available strategies and level of interaction were pretty shallow. If it was like a $20-30 game I could maybe see the appeal, but for the $100-some-odd they were asking for I found it about as ridiculous as the assassins thing is now.

I'm one of those nostalgic Space Hulk nerds. Space Hulk is a two player game; playing against an AI more or less completely defeats the point.

There is definitely strategy to be had. The two sides play very differently. The best way to play is to do a scenario twice, switching sides, so that each of you plays each side once. Once you know the rules, you can get through a scenario in about an hour typically, so that's completely doable.

The components are really really nice, and not just the minis. The cardboard tiles are super-thick and embossed. The rules have been pretty well refined through three editions.

The game balance is kind of back-and-forth. It depends a lot on the scenario you play. One of the balancing factors is that the Space Marine player has to complete their turn while a little sand hourglass drains. If you have the rules memorized (which is not particularly difficult, you'll do that by the third game or so) you can usually get your whole squad moved, but once you're in the later scenarios where you have two squads to manage, running out of time is very common. It means the space marine player has less opportunity to fiddle around setting up the perfect overwatch, maneuvering units around each other in tight spaces, etc.

This also means that when space marines die, while it's bad because you are now weaker while the genestealer player usually continues to get reinforcements, you also now have a little more time you can afford to spend considering each unit's moves. The genestealer is playing with a larger number of much weaker units, except they have a huge advantage in melee, so his job is usually to figure out a way to overwhelm one specific approach enough to start atritting the space marines. Or, perhaps force the space marine player to split his forces, or build up a swarm somewhere that the SM player eventually can't ignore or avoid. A lot depends on the specific gear the SM player has in a scenario, too; if he has a flamer, that radically changes the genestealer's best strategies, for example.

It is a 25+-year-old game, and while the rules have been tweaked, it's still basically the same game as 25 years ago. There are definitely, without question, better games out there now that do similar sorts of things. For me, the nostalgia and the quality pieces are probably the main attraction. But it's not a bad game, the way so many GW games are bad. The rules work, the two sides are close enough in balance that your decisions really do matter a lot, most scenarios are designed in such a way that there's not one specific "correct" strategy to use to try to win, there are areas where you can experiment with different approaches and stuff. You also have opportunities to learn how your opponent tends to approach things and try to counter that, so there's a definite challenge curve that depends on your opponent's ability to challenge you.

I wouldn't recommend Space Hulk to a random person looking to drop $80 or whatever on a boardgame; but I also wouldn't try to talk someone out of it if they understood what the game was about and decided to buy it.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 26, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PlaneGuy posted:

Aw man that's not hilarity, that's sad. From the comments it looks like his painter stole it.

Ah he's added more info. So yep, gently caress that painter basically, he's either stolen it or stalling because he can't paint it in time but doesn't want to lose the commission. lovely either way.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Leperflesh's SH post basically explains why anyone plays any GW games these days.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

quote:

However, voting with your wallet won't necessarily effect change. For example: just because you stop buying burgers and fries because they're unhealthy doesn't make them get produced with any less cholesterol. Likewise, GW will make less money with each lost customer, but that doesn't mean they want to be something other than what they are.

gw products are like... burgers maaaaaan

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Leperflesh posted:

I wouldn't recommend Space Hulk to a random person looking to drop $80 or whatever on a boardgame; but I also wouldn't try to talk someone out of it if they understood what the game was about and decided to buy it.

It is actually MSRP'd at $125 also, which is why the assassin game (gently caress it has such as stupid name) seems like such as lovely value, because Space Hulk really is a gorgeous piece of work, and this new one is like "lets make a white dwarf game around a new set of assassin models, but put it in a box and charge our new box set price for it".

Maybe it will be better in the flesh (cardstock). But the photos did it no favors.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

That assassassins game reminds me of Advanced Space Crusade. The way the board works: Big fixed tiles that you can presumably fit together in different ways and stick overlay pieces on top of to get further variations. Full of plastic minis that they were going to make and sell separately anyway (or already do in the case of new game). Ruleset that looks kinda half-assed instead of having any particularly novel mechanics (ASC was basically a bad rework of Space Hulk with a tedious random card-based campaign system scabbed on).

Presumably their will be no effort at balancing the abilities of the different characters so that it fully recreates the disappointment of playing Advanced Space Crusade.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
From the White Dwarf description the mechanics seem ok, though the card pieces don't reflect the cost. If I could get it 20% off somewhere it would be an easier buy.

However I'm more waiting to see what happens with Knights and Ad mech.

It does make me also repeat the thought that a new Kill Team rules set that works and is balanced for tournament play and priced at sane levels would make GW an absolute killing, but they would never do that.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Chill la Chill posted:

Nope. I plan on keeping them for a diorama with 40k someday. I mostly have tau stuff and they look excellent as kites. The problem is finding enough non-battle figures to fly them. I think the tank crews and a couple other minis might be suitable enough for a park outing scene.

Space Marines and their lovely witch elf lady friend in the park on a lovely summers day. In the foreground their rosy cheeked scrunt plays with a bounding squig, chasing a skull to and fro. Above the in the clear blue sky gaily painted fire warriors and a crisis suit bob in the breeze.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
GW will discover that the plebian masses have swarmed the garden of skirmishing and have now taken over the same tasty potatoe rows that helped fuel their rise. It will make them confused and sad. My prediction right now is before GW burns some kind of Necromunda or Mordaheim release of course priced uncomfortably high.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
NECROMUNDIS HIVETOR GANGIATUS

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doctor Borris posted:

Space Marines and their lovely witch elf lady friend in the park on a lovely summers day. In the foreground their rosy cheeked scrunt plays with a bounding squig, chasing a skull to and fro. Above the in the clear blue sky gaily painted fire warriors and a crisis suit bob in the breeze.
This would be a sweet golden demon entry. Or rather, crystal brush.
Someone please post the sweet art of a peaceful 40k world with children playing around a former Gorkanaut head Tia.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's amazing to see there are still some D-fenders in the bad thread, even as the first trip reports are coming in as 'Oh my god everything about this codex is awful and my friends hated playing it.'

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

It's amazing to see there are still some D-fenders in the bad thread, even as the first trip reports are coming in as 'Oh my god everything about this codex is awful and my friends hated playing it.'

They must be D-ense. The whole situation is a grim D-anse macabre. Game$Work$hop can go suck a D-ick. I D-reamt of a D-rip-Dropping D-rain of D-ead D-weebs in my D-ream.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Verily, the new Eldar Codex is a test from holy GW. The unfaithful shall be cast out from The Hobby, complaints of "Overpowered" and "Broken" upon their lips, while the faithful, the true believers, shall remain and rejoice in The Hobby forevermore.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I can't wait for the new knight codex

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Even those of us who went coo-coo for cocoa puffs over having Knights in 40k often felt the codex lacked depth and needed more units. Especially as 7th landed soon afterwards and almost all the game rules became obsolete.

But for the most part I personally was satisfied with having the most comprehensive collection of canon lore in one place even if it mean I had to put a printed FAQ inside when taking it to the game store. As more has been added to the knights the book bloat has also increased as I am not one fo those kinds of players who just expects other to 'trust me' when explaining how a rule or unit works.

So while I'm not happy that I'm getting a new codex in a year I also understand that it's somewhat required. Combining any refined/updated fluff with various other game based things for the knights, plus the units they've been needing to complete the set really does require its own dedicated codex.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just for interest, for the price of the new GW assasins game, what could I get from other table top games (PP, Mantic etc etc)?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just for interest, for the price of the new GW assasins game, what could I get from other table top games (PP, Mantic etc etc)?

Mantic: Pick a Deadzone faction and own everything there is to own

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Even better, Aetherium: http://www.anvil-eight.com/#!blank/c10gz
Philip K Dick presents The Matrix the boardgame.

Chibi D&D: http://sodapopminiatures.com/super-dungeon-explore/super-dungeon-explore-forgotten-king

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

For $125 you could almost get one of the 35 point army deals from PP (They're $135).

But you could get the two player starter set (Two Warcasters, Five Warjacks, and 10 Medium-Base (40mm) Infantry) and a solo for each army, or a Battlebox, a unit or two and a solo or two (probably ~25 points).

For Dropzone Commander that'd get you, depending on the army, probably 1000 to 1250 points and a typical game is 1500 points.

For a skirmish game like Infinity or Malifaux that could give you more models than you're likely to use in a given game, but I don't know specifically what or how many models.

All of this is at MSRP.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 26, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you, friend. I've been saying for years that 40k to me was really a space BYOB. I'm glad that in this forum, that has become reality. :)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Warmachine. If your smart about it, 125 will get you an all-in-one box, as well as enough models to hit 50 points which is the tournament standard. A competitive 50 points, as well as a really solid base to expand on.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FrostyPox posted:

For $125 you could almost get one of the 35 point army deals from PP (They're $135).

For Dropzone Commander that'd get you, depending on the army, probably 1000 to 1250 points and a typical game is 1500 points.

For a skirmish game like Infinity or Malifaux that could give you more models than you're likely to use in a given game, but I don't know specifically what or how many models.

To be fair, comparing a 2 player boardgame to a single faction in a wargame isn't the best way to do it. Assassins is crap, but at least you put the effort into making it look more like crap. Otherwise it's comparing apples to 2/3s of a single faction in Dropzone. The 2-player warmahordes starter is good enough.

Endless Fantasy Tactics models are around 10 bucks each, and with no factions (and only needing ~5 models per side) you can easily get enough for 2 players along with 2-3 boards to play on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A better 1:1 comparison would be Deadzone and a case of beer.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LordAba posted:

To be fair, comparing a 2 player boardgame to a single faction in a wargame isn't the best way to do it. Assassins is crap, but at least you put the effort into making it look more like crap. Otherwise it's comparing apples to 2/3s of a single faction in Dropzone. The 2-player warmahordes starter is good enough.

Endless Fantasy Tactics models are around 10 bucks each, and with no factions (and only needing ~5 models per side) you can easily get enough for 2 players along with 2-3 boards to play on.

That's very true. I was answering the question a bit *too* literally.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

LordAba posted:

To be fair, comparing a 2 player boardgame to a single faction in a wargame isn't the best way to do it.
Ok, 125 will get you the deadzone starter set which includes everything you need including 2 factions and terrain, and enough money left to get two people stone drunk, nevermind a case of beer

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Operation:Icestorm, the 2-player Infinity starter is the same price.

You get 2 faction starter boxes (PanO and Nomads), 14 minis total with 2 being exclusive to the starter box, base rules, counters and dice.
And a play mat and enough cardboard scenery to play with.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Renfield posted:

Operation:Icestorm, the 2-player Infinity starter is the same price.

You get 2 faction starter boxes (PanO and Nomads), 14 minis total with 2 being exclusive to the starter box, base rules, counters and dice.
And a play mat and enough cardboard scenery to play with.

Isn't scenery one of the really important bits for Infinity, too? Since it's very heavily cover-based?

A friend who plays described it feeling a lot like the new X-COM in that if you're out of cover you die very quickly.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, it's very important, and the starter has 6 scenarios (starting with 3 models each, and adding one each mission, with additional rules) that use the contents of the box - with maps to lay out the terrain; it works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
loads of xwang

• Locked thread