Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

ultramiraculous posted:

There isn't a Facebook app. There's the built-in notifications, which you can reply too, but Facebook couldn't squeeze an Apple Watch app into their app store app.

Thanks. I wasn't actually getting the FB notifications on the watch until I reinstalled the app on my iPhone. Very strange. Don't seem to be able to reply to them - just dismiss, like most non-Messages notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

He's being somewhat facetious (i hope) but the Moto 360 looks substantially larger than the Watch (even the 42mm).

Battery life report on my 42mm: Unplugged from charger today at 11:30am or so. Average (what i would consider "normal") usage through the day. No workout tracking. It's 8:20PM as i type this and it's sitting at 64% battery life.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My buddy got his and notifications either work extremely slow or not at all. Been restored countless times and also doesn't work on his friends phone. Bummer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Question on notifications now that the watch is out:

How do they work for non stock apps? Is it like pebble where any banner notification shows up? I don't use apple messages (I use google voice) so I'm curious how i can expect notifications from apps like that to work?

I'm guessing google will have to add the functionality to allow the ability to reply from the watch?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My buddy got his and notifications either work extremely slow or not at all. Been restored countless times and also doesn't work on his friends phone. Bummer.

If he is using his iPhone then the notification won't show up on the watch.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

How do they work for non stock apps? Is it like pebble where any banner notification shows up? I don't use apple messages (I use google voice) so I'm curious how i can expect notifications from apps like that to work?

I'm guessing google will have to add the functionality to allow the ability to reply from the watch?

You still get the notification forwarded to the Watch. I don't use google voice but Inbox for example will just show a notification with the sender name, a snippet of text and a done button. Other apps have been updated with richer notifications. The Outlook app for instance allows you to archive/mark as read/etc right from the Watch even though there is no "explicit" Apple Watch app.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I hope chess.com makes a watch app. Would be cool to play by speaking moves like this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-watch!/id983381296?mt=8

gohmak fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 26, 2015

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
After the first full day of use my watch was at a surprising 65% battery. That was with significant use as well: a good amount of notifications, siri queries, iMessage dictations, navigation, and even a few phone calls . Not too worried about the battery life on this thing!

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

shodanjr_gr posted:

Battery life report on my 42mm: Unplugged from charger today at 11:30am or so. Average (what i would consider "normal") usage through the day. No workout tracking. It's 8:20PM as i type this and it's sitting at 64% battery life.

I'll chime in on this. My 42mm Sport was unplugged from charger yesterday at 10:30am or so, and I too did 'normal' usage. At 10:30pm I was at 59% battery life after 12 hours.

Today I plan on doing some walking and being more 'active' than normal, so we'll see how a 9am-10:30pm cycle goes.

Duckman2008 posted:

That is a good guess. You can't even reply to Facebook from the watch, only Mail and Messages from what I have seen so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

That is a good guess. You can't even reply to Facebook from the watch, only Mail and Messages from what I have seen so far.

Gotcha. Honestly, the main thing I need is notifications, not the response ability as much, so it looks like I'll be able to see everything, which is enough for me.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Agreed, the battery life is great. Took it off charger at about 9 AM, it's now midnight and its still 53% with some fairly heavy use, like using the remote camera app a fair bit and generally doing all my casual messaging on it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yep, it holds a charge pretty long even with new gadget syndrome. I just gotta take care to keep the phone charged too since it runs out faster now. Used to be that I'd leave home with 30-40% charge, I don't see myself doing that anymore.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Zwille posted:

Yep, it holds a charge pretty long even with new gadget syndrome. I just gotta take care to keep the phone charged too since it runs out faster now. Used to be that I'd leave home with 30-40% charge, I don't see myself doing that anymore.

Really? I figured the iPhone battery would take less of a hit because of less screen power.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It has to do most of the computing, plus it has to keep up a bluetooth connection all the time or at least when the watch is accessing the phone. Where I'm normally on about 70 percent on the phone I'm now at 60 percent or something. I didn't keep tabs and it certainly is nowhere near bad enough that you'd have to keep tabs on it either.

You're still using the phone sorta normally, the watch is just supplementing it and because it uses bluetooth and has the phone doing the processing, the phone battery is obviously under more strain than usual.

I got a 6+ but I wonder how 5 owners fare, especially if they have a launch phone with no battery replacement.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I saw the same battery hit on my 6+ -- it ended up around 55% battery last night instead of 70%

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
After almost 2 full days of wearing the watch, I'm very happy with the battery life. I took it off the charger yesterday around 9:00 am and put it back on at around 11:30 pm and I still had 55% left. That included navigation, email/text reading, browsing through instagram and other apps, and an hour long workout.

As for the phone (6+), I haven't noticed any real increase in battery drain. Maybe thats because I already had a Fitbit surge connected via bluetooth so I'm used to the little extra drain from that. I will say though that I wasn't on my phone as much since I can do a lot of the quick glance stuff I used to use my phone for on the watch now. Honestly I would expect to see an increase in battery life since I'm not on it as much.

Has anyone found a way to set a custom goal for exercise in the activity app? All I can seem to set is the calories. Right now I have a 30 minute exercise goal and I'd like to change it to an hour.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I like that I don't have to use my phone as much as silly as that sounds. Most stuff like reading texts can be done in a fraction of the time it takes to fumble the phone out of the pocket.

DJCobol posted:

Has anyone found a way to set a custom goal for exercise in the activity app? All I can seem to set is the calories. Right now I have a 30 minute exercise goal and I'd like to change it to an hour.

You get a report every Monday, at least that's what the watch app on the phone says, and it says it lets you adjust your goals so you gotta wait I guess.

edit: nah, just force press on the individual rings and it lets you adjust it.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

You get a report every Monday, at least that's what the watch app on the phone says, and it says it lets you adjust your goals so you gotta wait I guess.

edit: nah, just force press on the individual rings and it lets you adjust it.

No matter what one I force press on, the only thing I can adjust is the calorie goal.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

DJCobol posted:

No matter what one I force press on, the only thing I can adjust is the calorie goal.

Oops, you're right, that's weird.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Zwille posted:

It has to do most of the computing, plus it has to keep up a bluetooth connection all the time or at least when the watch is accessing the phone. Where I'm normally on about 70 percent on the phone I'm now at 60 percent or something. I didn't keep tabs and it certainly is nowhere near bad enough that you'd have to keep tabs on it either.

You're still using the phone sorta normally, the watch is just supplementing it and because it uses bluetooth and has the phone doing the processing, the phone battery is obviously under more strain than usual.

I got a 6+ but I wonder how 5 owners fare, especially if they have a launch phone with no battery replacement.
Bluetooth connection takes about .04% battery life per 24 hours so no, it's not that.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hey fitness goons, what are you guys' impressions of the heart rate monitor so far?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

smoobles posted:

Hey fitness goons, what are you guys' impressions of the heart rate monitor so far?

Really accurate for cardio activities.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

shodanjr_gr posted:

Not so accurate for weightlifting. I would spike to 140ish during squats, but 30 seconds into cool down between sets it would show as 70-80 bpm. Some of it may have been caused by the watch slipping down my wrist a little bit, so next time I'm going to move it up higher and snug it up a little more and see how it does.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you want accurate readings across the board you can pair a chest strap from what apple says.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Not so accurate for weightlifting. I would spike to 140ish during squats, but 30 seconds into cool down between sets it would show as 70-80 bpm. Some of it may have been caused by the watch slipping down my wrist a little bit, so next time I'm going to move it up higher and snug it up a little more and see how it does.

Yeah i observed the same thing as well with an arm workout.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I'm not fitness expert but I was under the impression that weight lifting wasn't, like, heart based because it's not aerobic?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

I'm not fitness expert but I was under the impression that weight lifting wasn't, like, heart based because it's not aerobic?

We're talking about the accuracy of the heart rate monitor itself (the bpm that it reports), not the resulting calorie counts.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

I would still expect it to have a somewhat accurate count, even though it may have more ups and downs compared to something like running where you would be fairly consistent. Going from 140-150 bpm down to 70-80 in a matter of 30 seconds isn't really possible.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

Going from 140-150 bpm down to 70-80 in a matter of 30 seconds isn't really possible.

I'm sure it'd be fun, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Bluetooth connection takes about .04% battery life per 24 hours so no, it's not that.

Is it a local wifi thing ? Does the watch use that ? I'm not sure.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

DJCobol posted:

Yeah make sure it's pretty snug for a good read. The whole thing's based on LEDs so I imagine it won't work super well if there's an air gap.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
How long does it take to charge? Say I'm at 50% and want to top off,any time estimates?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dumb question: Anyone get  stickers in the box? I didn't notice any in mine. Always a little treat. I hope that's not going away.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dumb question: Anyone get  stickers in the box? I didn't notice any in mine. Always a little treat. I hope that's not going away.

Stickers are only included with the $549 and up watches.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Don Lapre posted:

Stickers are only included with the $549 and up watches.

You sure about that? I didn't see any in the SS Milanese loop I have.

edit: Or is this a joke that's going over my head.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I didn't get any with my sport watch.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is there nowhere to try this on outside of the Apple store? Is that going to change anytime soon?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
How loud would you guys describe the speaker on your watches? Mine feels quite anemic and I'm trying to determine if I got a dud or if that's by design...

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

shodanjr_gr posted:

How loud would you guys describe the speaker on your watches? Mine feels quite anemic and I'm trying to determine if I got a dud or if that's by design...

I haven't tried taking any phone calls or playing music through it, but for notifications the speaker is perfectly adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

gret posted:

I haven't tried taking any phone calls or playing music through it, but for notifications the speaker is perfectly adequate.

Yeah, i haven't had issues with notifications either but it was quite tough to use as a speakerphone for a call that i received in the car...

• Locked thread