Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
It's like the people who think that Philip Morris is a Nazi front organization, because if you take "Marlboro" and turn some parts upside-down and other parts backwards you get "horrible Jew", and the chevrons on the package look sort of like "K"s and there's three of them so that's "K-K-K".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm convinced.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

The Chairman posted:

Chechnya is an advanced Soviet arcology whose AI became self-aware

Everything about that conflict would be less depressing and more awesome if that were true.

It would also be a way better conspiracy theory than most of the BS we end up with. Wake up sheeple, the Robot War is already here :tinfoil:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

QuarkJets posted:

i love it when conspiracy theorists find significance in unrelated numbers, i always get the biggest kick out of that numerology poo poo

'666 is the mark of the beast but it's just three sixes which add up to 18, and if you reverse 18 that's 8 + 1 = 9, illuminati has two L letters in it so that means their number is 11, put 9 and 11 together and you get 911 HOLY poo poo THE ILLUMINATI AND SATAN TOGETHER CAUSED 9/11'

Check out Richard Hoegland's transdimentonal physics for all your :tinfoil: number crunching needs.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So "Ancient Aliens" is unironically discussing "Superman", "Babylon 5" and "Star Wars" as Real Things That Happened...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Give me the ep. That is pretty fantastic.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Give me the ep. That is pretty fantastic.

"Aliens and Superheroes".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hoegland got on Coast to Coast to explain how John Carter validates his theories because it is exactly like them (it isn't).

I'm pretty sure anyone who honestly believes in ancient aliens has a hard time separating reality from fiction.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elysiume posted:

I'm convinced.

Holy poo poo upside down "a" actually is an "e", just in some really weird serif font. I never noticed that.

The "r" is facing the wrong way though. Horrible Lew?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

ThirdPartyView posted:

So "Ancient Aliens" is unironically discussing "Superman", "Babylon 5" and "Star Wars" as Real Things That Happened...

That now reminds me of how in Stargate SG-1, the in-show series Wormhole Extereme was allowed to continue as an "explanation" as to any leaks of the Stargate project as being related to the show.

Which I think is a nod to the real conspiracy theories of Stargate itself allegedly being exactly that.

Edit: Also, Babylon 5 every opening quite literally gives the year it's supposed to be happening, which is not for another two and a half centuries. HTH do you get that as having happened?

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure anyone who honestly believes in ancient aliens has a hard time separating reality from fiction.

Ah...

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 20, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, the first Shadow War would have been sometime around 1200CE and the Shadows left a crab on Mars. Plus, Vorlons-as-angels dicking with human history for thousands of years. So, plenty of time stuff in the B5 universe, just not the actual show. Aside from B4, which was flying around in the First Shadow War.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

razorrozar posted:

Holy poo poo upside down "a" actually is an "e", just in some really weird serif font. I never noticed that.

The "r" is facing the wrong way though. Horrible Lew?

You're supposed to interpret the little serif as the hook of the 'J'. The actual arc of the 'r' is just, I dunno, a big random curlicue.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

ThirdPartyView posted:

To be fair, he would know...

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

4/20 and the 20th anniversary of OKC is a good day to rewatch some of Jon Ronson's "Secret Rulers of the World" series, Ruby Ridge especially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a0rg6Nn4T8

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, the first Shadow War would have been sometime around 1200CE and the Shadows left a crab on Mars. Plus, Vorlons-as-angels dicking with human history for thousands of years. So, plenty of time stuff in the B5 universe, just not the actual show. Aside from B4, which was flying around in the First Shadow War.

Good point, forgot about all the past history stuff, including the Jack the Ripper bit.

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 20, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Hoegland got on Coast to Coast to explain how John Carter validates his theories because it is exactly like them (it isn't).

Does he realize it was written decades before his birth?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

emfive posted:

it's Jade Helmet time and soon we'll all be marched off to FEMA death camps.

"ANY loving DAY NOW" - Every FEMA death camp black helicopter idiot I've met since 1993

ThirdPartyView posted:

The Phantom Menace was a documentary and the events took place in real time

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The Phantom Menace was a documentary and the events took place in real time

There is no such thing as Jake Lloyd and you will never convince me otherwise

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I'm shocked he doesn't discuss his intensive research of the "Hokey Pokey" on 'Ancient Aliens'... :eyepop:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like the idea of feeding an individual's delusions back to them as entertainment. Yeah sure it's from a movie, but they put it into popculture to inoculate people to the idea, maaaaaaan.

It isn't like author's aren't always drawing ftom the ideas and events around them. Nope, predictive programming.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Lots of real goofball conspiracy theorists coming out in front of government officials lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dupsc2vbccg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

i love it when conspiracy theorists find significance in unrelated numbers, i always get the biggest kick out of that numerology poo poo

Me too, it's like the conspiracy theorists got their idea of villainy from Saturday morning cartoons or comic books. The bad guys are pathologically required to leave clues for the good guys to find and cryptically explain their plans in convoluted but solvable riddles. As opposed to reality where they would just not do that and leave your body in the gutter.

Or perhaps, like in Gargoyles, the masonic Illuminati spells need an escape clause built into them, so they hide clues where no one will ever find them like in the most commonly read book in the world and on all the money.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah it's like they think that the illuminati or the monarch program or whatever else is run by the Riddler.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Trent posted:

Me too, it's like the conspiracy theorists got their idea of villainy from Saturday morning cartoons or comic books. The bad guys are pathologically required to leave clues for the good guys to find and cryptically explain their plans in convoluted but solvable riddles. As opposed to reality where they would just not do that and leave your body in the gutter.

Or perhaps, like in Gargoyles, the masonic Illuminati spells need an escape clause built into them, so they hide clues where no one will ever find them like in the most commonly read book in the world and on all the money.

Sometimes this is accounted for in the conspiracy theories themselves!

There are certain conspiracy theorists who believe that groups like satanists, the US government, or the Illuminati are using magical spells that derive their power from presence in the public consciousness. So a Lady Gaga song that has lyrics with a hidden satanic meaning is increasing the power of whatever spell its connected to in order to do a thing. Sometimes the people referenced in these conspiracy theories are themselves responsible for the spell and in others they are mere pawns in the plot by the groups I mentioned above. There are even variants of the theories that claim that media figures are being mind-controlled or brainwashed in order to hide hints in their works in order to increase the power of the spells.

This is one of the things that conspiracy theorists latched onto when Amanda Bynes had some very public schizophrenic episodes.

When I have more time I'll try to dig up some educational YouTube videos on the subject. One of them was basically a supercut of celebrities using the idiom "deal with the devil" with the narrator taking the phrase literally.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
tl;dr: idiots applying magical thinking.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
how loving depressing is it to believe magic is real but only used for evil

it's like thinking chocolate is a WMD

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Perhaps it is :eng99::hf::tinfoil:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

It's the fault of Big Cocoa.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

blowfish posted:

It's the fault of Big Cocoa.

It's Hershey's, all the way down.*

*See the recent Cadbury fracas

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Most chocolate is farmed and processed by slaves. So in a way, what you are saying is true.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ThirdPartyView posted:

The absolute funniest thing about the whole Ancient Aliens series for me is that its most thorough debunking (in case it wasn't linked; it's a fantastic documentary) was done by, of all people, Chris White, the guy who believes sincerely in extradimensional demons and whose most recent publication was a thorough analysis of what form the Antichrist would take.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm surprised there would even be a need for a debunking of ancient aliens.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Vermain posted:

The absolute funniest thing about the whole Ancient Aliens series for me is that its most thorough debunking (in case it wasn't linked; it's a fantastic documentary) was done by, of all people, Chris White, the guy who believes sincerely in extradimensional demons and whose most recent publication was a thorough analysis of what form the Antichrist would take.

I saw that before and had no idea of it's connection to other crazy since it was so good at rational arguments.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In conspiracy theories, it is very important to recognize all sides and have an open mind. Maybe the Pyramids weren't built by aliens, maybe it was Atlanteans or time travelers. Maybe the whole UFO thing is wrong because they are Biblical demons. As long as we all agree the official history is bunk, we can move together towards the truth.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

In conspiracy theories, it is very important to recognize all sides and have an open mind.

Right, along with "doing your own research" and "due diligence."

Why do conspiracy theorists thrive on all these buzzwords?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's trying to harness sympathetic magic to overstand the issue. That's Illuminati 101.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

ErIog posted:

Sometimes this is accounted for in the conspiracy theories themselves!

There are certain conspiracy theorists who believe that groups like satanists, the US government, or the Illuminati are using magical spells that derive their power from presence in the public consciousness. So a Lady Gaga song that has lyrics with a hidden satanic meaning is increasing the power of whatever spell its connected to in order to do a thing. Sometimes the people referenced in these conspiracy theories are themselves responsible for the spell and in others they are mere pawns in the plot by the groups I mentioned above. There are even variants of the theories that claim that media figures are being mind-controlled or brainwashed in order to hide hints in their works in order to increase the power of the spells.

This is one of the things that conspiracy theorists latched onto when Amanda Bynes had some very public schizophrenic episodes.

When I have more time I'll try to dig up some educational YouTube videos on the subject. One of them was basically a supercut of celebrities using the idiom "deal with the devil" with the narrator taking the phrase literally.

That's one school of thought about it, but there's a whole lot of crazy going on under the surface.

For them, there are two main schools of thought. The main one, which is often attributed to Alan Watt (Who also is into the whole illuminati magic side of things) is the idea that the elites put all these clues out there as a sort of exercise in mass mind control. Something unthinkable, impossible, and unspeakable is going to happen. In order to make people accept it passively, the effeminate prancing elites who run popular culture are tasked with seeding it with images, storylines and ideas designed to change our reaction from horror and defiance to horror and acceptance, and to prime us to accept outlandish ideas like the ridiculous concept that jet fuel can melt steel beams.

Other people think it's some kind of attempt to circumvent ~ancient masonic laws~ about honest conduct by hiding disclosure in plain sight, but through layers of coding or in relatively obscure places. Like the words Sandy Hook turning up in a batman video game on a map in a secret room, or on album jackets, or in the Illuminati card game illustrations that supposedly proved prophetic. But that kind of makes the Illuminati sound like the asinine village council planning department in hitchhiker's guide, which you'd think would make them less intimidating to conspiracy theorists.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

That's one school of thought about it, but there's a whole lot of crazy going on under the surface.

For them, there are two main schools of thought. The main one, which is often attributed to Alan Watt (Who also is into the whole illuminati magic side of things) is the idea that the elites put all these clues out there as a sort of exercise in mass mind control. Something unthinkable, impossible, and unspeakable is going to happen. In order to make people accept it passively, the effeminate prancing elites who run popular culture are tasked with seeding it with images, storylines and ideas designed to change our reaction from horror and defiance to horror and acceptance, and to prime us to accept outlandish ideas like the ridiculous concept that jet fuel can melt steel beams.

Ok, this is how the secret media messages thing works, right?

quote:

Other people think it's some kind of attempt to circumvent ~ancient masonic laws~ about honest conduct by hiding disclosure in plain sight, but through layers of coding or in relatively obscure places. Like the words Sandy Hook turning up in a batman video game on a map in a secret room, or on album jackets, or in the Illuminati card game illustrations that supposedly proved prophetic. But that kind of makes the Illuminati sound like the asinine village council planning department in hitchhiker's guide, which you'd think would make them less intimidating to conspiracy theorists.

Why do evil overlords have to follow overly elaborate and counterproductive rules? They're evil overlords for fucks sake. Screw the rules, we have money and guns :psyduck:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

Why do evil overlords have to follow overly elaborate and counterproductive rules? They're evil overlords for fucks sake. Screw the rules, we have money and guns :psyduck:

because life is a video game/movie/novel and has a coherent plot which will someday get neatly resolved don'tcha know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

razorrozar posted:

because life is a video game/movie/novel and has a coherent plot which will someday get neatly resolved don'tcha know

and :frogsiren: I :birddrugs: am the protagonist

• Locked thread