Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Noggin Monkey posted:

Oscar Niemeyer's work is still bad in the ways modernism is usually bad, but God drat he was doing it much better than his peers. I love how sculptural his work always was.
Most of Brasila's ugly as hell but it inspired a pretty neat furniture series anyways:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Benagain posted:

So JGM Architects did a building in Chicago last year for a college campus on the far NW side.

I kind of like it! Grown on me a little.

So that's what that is. It's right on the Kennedy Expressway, makes a major impact.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Humboldt Squid posted:

Believe it or not, this isn't the only Victory of Samothrace themed building

(thankfully this one's just a proposal though)

Shut your cakehole, it's awesome. Everyhting is awesome.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
All of this brutalist architecture and nobody has mentioned the University of Oklahoma Physical Sciences Center. Or "the blender" as it's affectionately known. Three floors in the base, with separate elevators handling the tower part.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cultural Imperial posted:

Also, city of London street names are amazing. Ropemaker st. Haberdasher st. Shepherdess walk. The highway.
There's a Knightrider Street just down from St Paul's (by the steps where the Cybermen invaded).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Payndz posted:

There's a Knightrider Street just down from St Paul's (by the steps where the Cybermen invaded).

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a Little Britain around the corner from the Barbican.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
there's a toad in the hole on me bollocks mate

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
consult your physician

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Time for a historical architectural failure!

This is the Bent Pyramid, built by the pharoah Snefre (occasionally pronounced Snafu by certain documentary narrators):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent_Pyramid

The architect had a radical new idea for a pyramid with smooth sides (what you think of when someone says "the Pyramids") and the older stepped version (more like an Aztec kind of style). Unfortunately, the materials or maybe the foundation wasn't up for the sheer weight and steep angle of the construction, and midway through they aborted the original angle plan and sort of topped it with a shallower angled pyramid. The pharoah was understandably underwhelmed by this construction, and later built the Red Pyramid, which did manage to be completed as planned. He actually built a pyramid before the Bent Pyramid, but it suffered at least one collapse and was understandably never finished. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meidum#Pyramid

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Payndz posted:

There used to be a Gropecunt Lane in Victorian days. Used for exactly what you'd think.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hermsgervørden posted:

How about an Archdiocese failure? St. Mary's installed a sprinkler system in order to drench the homeless people trying to sleep in the doorways of the cathedral. Not long after that news broke, Pope Francis had the vatican install showers for homeless people who visit, and gave a surprise tour of the Sistine Chapel for 150 homeless people.

a pope that isn't either a reactionary shithead or hilariously corrupt , and it only took 2000 years

e: lol i checked wikipedia and i guess he actually is the former

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 26, 2015

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

This is the Bent Pyramid, built by the pharoah Snefre (occasionally pronounced Snafu by certain documentary narrators):

The architect had a radical new idea for a pyramid with smooth sides (what you think of when someone says "the Pyramids") and the older stepped version (more like an Aztec kind of style). Unfortunately, the materials or maybe the foundation wasn't up for the sheer weight and steep angle of the construction, and midway through they aborted the original angle plan and sort of topped it with a shallower angled pyramid. The pharoah was understandably underwhelmed by this construction, and later built the Red Pyramid, which did manage to be completed as planned. He actually built a pyramid before the Bent Pyramid, but it suffered at least one collapse and was understandably never finished. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meidum#Pyramid

I always love this one because it's also such a good example to give to people who marvel bout the Miraculous Perfection of the Pyramids It Must Be Aliens Man.

Really lovely loving aliens if they were responsible.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

cisco privilege posted:

Most of Brasila's ugly as hell but it inspired a pretty neat furniture series anyways:

Holy poo poo. That's stunning. Please tell me more.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Florida polytechnic opened recently I think. It's built in the middle of nowhere between Tampa and Orlando, Florida. Pretty striking when you see it from the road.

Pretty cool that they built a space pussy in the middle of dildo lake.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

therattle posted:

Holy poo poo. That's stunning. Please tell me more.

It's Broyhill Brasilia furniture, made in the early 1960s' and apparently first shown off at the 1962 Seattle World Fair. It's rather handsome stuff, isn't it?

The original sales brochure on this site if you're interested: http://www.brasiliaconnection.com/collection.html.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

NLJP posted:

I always love this one because it's also such a good example to give to people who marvel bout the Miraculous Perfection of the Pyramids It Must Be Aliens Man.

Really lovely loving aliens if they were responsible.

Egypt is great for all the gently caress ups and changes of plans that have been preserved for all eternity. It really humanises the ancient Egyptians.

The burial chamber of the tomb of Thutmose III is decorated with nicely drawn stick men instead of full colour hieroglyphics. It might have been done after he died to get it finished while he was being embalmed. Also the doorways seem to have been all enlarged after they had been decorated. The pharaoh's poo poo was too big to get into his tomb.

King Tut died suddenly at a young age before a proper tomb could be built. The one they used is about the size of a lovely basement apartment. The photos Carter's team took make it look like someone's hoarder grandma's garage. The grave goods were stacked and wedged in any way they would fit. The axles of his chariots were all sawed in half to get them in there.

There are several examples in the Valley of the Kings of tombs being tunneled into older tombs.

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/articles/article_4.5b.html

The Theban Mapping Project website is awesome by the way. It has detailed articles and drawings of everything in the valley.

The biggest fuckup of all though would be the city of Amarna. The weird pharaoh Akhenaten decided to establish a brand new capital city on a fresh building site away from the existing power centres of Egypt. Of course there was a reason the site had never been used for a city before, it was a lovely place for a city. It built on a barren stretch of desert along the riverside and had no real economic reason to exist beyond the presence of the court. After Akhenaten died the city emptied out and was left to the desert. It may have been inhabited for less than twenty years.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Cacafuego posted:

Florida polytechnic opened recently I think. It's built in the middle of nowhere between Tampa and Orlando, Florida. Pretty striking when you see it from the road.

that's an artist rendering, most of the trees aren't there yet and the surrounding land is very under-construction-y. the building itself looks pretty awesome from i4 though. there's also an ugly square building off to the left (from the camera pov in the pic) that doesn't fit with the main building

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

you irl posted:

there's also an ugly square building off to the left (from the camera pov in the pic) that doesn't fit with the main building

That is the taint.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darkwasthenight posted:

There used to be a Gropecunt Lane in Victorian days. Used for exactly what you'd think.

There was a really good bbc four documentary about the history of the word oval office, can't find it anywhere. Fillcunt used to be a common surname in the middle ages apparently.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i live at 69 gropecunt lane :slick:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Speaking of histrorical architectural gently caress ups:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

nah, it'll hold.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Some of it did!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cacafuego posted:

It's pretty jarring to do the Tampa/Orlando drive now and see that thing. It doesn't exactly fit with all of the empty land and farmland there. I believe it's about halfway between Orlando and Lakeland.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

you irl posted:

that's an artist rendering, most of the trees aren't there yet and the surrounding land is very under-construction-y. the building itself looks pretty awesome from i4 though. there's also an ugly square building off to the left (from the camera pov in the pic) that doesn't fit with the main building

That appears to be an impressively bad master plan for a college campus.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Demonachizer posted:

nah, it'll hold.

was this

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Pile of Kittens posted:

Does it sort of rule itself out on account of managing to stay up for several centuries despite having structural failure?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

looks like the kind of pyramid i'd build, i don't understand this spergy tryhard obsession with straight lines and geometrical shapes

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jazzyhattrick posted:

There was a really good bbc four documentary about the history of the word oval office, can't find it anywhere. Fillcunt used to be a common surname in the middle ages apparently.
I'm impressed that they managed to air this, I'm guessing they had to say "the c word" a lot?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Tunga posted:

I'm impressed that they managed to air this, I'm guessing they had to say "the c word" a lot?

I'm guessing it was really dry and quite academic and said oval office a lot because it would be ridiculous otherwise.

Like newspapers who *** swear words and look fu*king stupid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

simplyhorribul posted:

At least they didn't try to cover their shame...unlike church Kaleva.

Bare bone concrete is depressing as poo poo, but not as bad as covering it with tiles and pretending it doesn't look like a huge public bathroom pulled inside-out. Why on earth would anyone think that covering buildings with tiny tiles will look good?

The thing about the Kaleva church is that it's ludicrously massive. It's also smack dab in the middle of a large green park, so it's kinda dominating the whole area. Very much in the spirit of Jesus with the whole "blessed are the meek" thing.

Also from Tampere, the new city library. It's called the Metso (Tetrao urogallus, the bird species capercaillie in Finnish). Why, you ask? Well, because it looks like one when viewed from above.

What does it look like from street level? Confusing!

From the same city, the new public health building which houses -- among other things -- mental health services for young people is an imposing colossus covered entirely in copper. Yes, copper.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

From the same city, the new public health building which houses -- among other things -- mental health services for young people is an imposing colossus covered entirely in copper. Yes, copper.

Copper roofs and siding are not that unusual are they? Just needs a few years to develop a nice green patina.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Copper roofing is nice until it gets stolen.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Phlegmish posted:

looks like the kind of pyramid i'd build, i don't understand this spergy tryhard obsession with straight lines and geometrical shapes

If you want to be the only guy in the afterlife that lives in a bent pyramid go ahead.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

NihilismNow posted:

Copper roofs and siding are not that unusual are they? Just needs a few years to develop a nice green patina.

I can't think of any examples of copper siding other than the photo that was posted. Copper roofs are rare but not unusual.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

DNova posted:

I can't think of any examples of copper siding other than the photo that was posted. Copper roofs are rare but not unusual.

Have another example

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

It works for roofs but copper walls are a terrible idea.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

quote:

NEWARK – Longaberger's basket-shaped corporate headquarters, a worldwide architectural marvel when the building opened to great fanfare in 1997, has become a financial headache for Newark taxpayers.

The seven-story replica of the company's Medium Market Basket employed just 68 people at the end of last year, a far cry from the 500 who filled the building in 1998. Longaberger's total workforce is 230, a fraction of the 8,200 employees at its peak in 2000.
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/story/news/local/2015/04/25/longaberger-struggles-become-citys-debt/26381475/

:doh:
Ohio.jpg
The hand-woven decorative basket industry is on hard-times.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DNova posted:

They built a giant cathedral down here in Coral Gables about 15 or so years ago with a copper roof. With our rain it didn't last long.

• Locked thread