Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Nimmy posted:

Most want Finance and no one wants Infantry? What the hell? Is this common?

Apparently OCS classes these days are a bit different with almost everyone being college option and over 50% being national guard or reserve. Most of the people in my class already know their branch since they aren't active duty.

I just want to hurry up and get my branch so I know what I'll be doing for the next 3 years. Hopefully I'll find out what unit I'm going to towards the end of OCS or early on in BOLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I just want to hurry up and get my branch so I know what I'll be doing for the next 3 years.

Hating your life and wishing you never joined the army.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

not caring here posted:

Who in their right mind would want to be responsible for a bunch of combat arms retards for garrison life?

I understand that, but for some reason it still seems like most people who join want to be combat arms retards. I'm one because I'm a stupid retard.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Mustang posted:

Apparently OCS classes these days are a bit different with almost everyone being college option and over 50% being national guard or reserve. Most of the people in my class already know their branch since they aren't active duty.

I just want to hurry up and get my branch so I know what I'll be doing for the next 3 years. Hopefully I'll find out what unit I'm going to towards the end of OCS or early on in BOLC.

Pick the one with the most sexy ladies lol

Don't get caught

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Zeris posted:

Cool have you tried any of the other ones

yes, and theyre really bad, ada is the worst

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

suicide bi cop posted:

yes, and theyre really bad, ada is the worst

No way ADA is worse than FA. Just no way.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nimmy posted:

No way ADA is worse than FA. Just no way.

ADA have their head up their own rear end so far they think they are actually the best the army has to offer.

They also haven't actually been used in war time (effectively) since like, 91.

What I'm saying is, gently caress ADA FOREVER.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Carteret posted:

ADA have their head up their own rear end so far they think they are actually the best the army has to offer.

They also haven't actually been used in war time (effectively) since like, 91.

What I'm saying is, gently caress ADA FOREVER.

But they're the "First to Fire!" According to their motto on Wikipedia lol this forum makes me feel better about my military everyday lol.

Wait they have those patriot missiles so that's cool.
Can anyone comment on the ratio of hot chicks to dudes though?

son gay. so what fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 26, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

not caring here posted:

Who in their right mind would want to be responsible for a bunch of combat arms retards for garrison life?

My last company was pretty well behaved, relatively, but the CO was always getting called in late at night with all the other company commanders because some fuckhead got his rape / wife beat / DUI / child murder on. And if the BC got a call then the company commanders were coming in as well.

Having been in an infantry battalion specifically, and then had an infantry company attached to my last squadron, gently caress that noise. I wouldn't wish that poo poo on anyone.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Avoid CM (I speak from experience) and ADA like the plague. There are literally no redeeming qualities to these branches

Finance, Signal, MI and the Logistic (ordnance, transportation, and quartermaster) branches suck, but you have the opportunity to parlay that into a decent career. Although Signal and MI stand much higher than the others.

Medical Services I'd imagine are pretty chill and have some connections for hospital admin work on the outside. I don't know anyone in it though so that's all conjecture on my part.

If you plan on staying in and trying to get as much rank as possible combat arms has the most mobility. It is also the most soul crashing, particularly given the wind down.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Nimmy posted:

Most want Finance and no one wants Infantry? What the hell? Is this common?

It's more common for people to make sane branch choices in OCS because you have more prior service. Most of them know better. In ROTC and the Academies, you have combat arms-heavy cadre pressuring kids to keg-stand the Koolaid. Almost all of them want to be Special Forces Ranger underwater Delta divers. I've seen a kid literally cry over getting Ordnance. Yes, I lold.

Mustang posted:

What's you all's opinion on good officer branches? Everyone seems to be competing for MI and Engineer and a surprising number of people want Finance and ADA. After talking to recycles and people in company's that have already branched apparently infantry slots take up a quarter to one third of the available slots so a lot of people that don't want it are getting it.

Do they do branch detail in OCS? If so, you may wind up being a combat arms Lieutenant for the first few years with some of those branches. Detailing aside, MI is awesome because you get a TS. Medical Service is pretty chill, but I don't think you can choose that in OCS. Finance is rare, but another good pick because on staff all you do is manage the unit's budget. Signal is good if you want to break into IT after the Army. The Logistics branches are a pretty safe bet too, but tend to have a lot of meatheads because they have a lot of slots that young dumb hooahs don't want to fill because they'd rather be jumping out of airplanes and eating snakes.

Infantry and Armor and all that jazz are great if you want to stay in the Army forever and become a General. You will never be a General.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 26, 2015

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

It's more common for people to make sane branch choices in OCS because you have more prior service. Most of them know better. In ROTC and the Academies, you have combat arms-heavy cadre pressuring kids to keg-stand the Koolaid. Almost all of them want to be Special Forces Ranger underwater Delta divers. I've seen a kid literally cry over getting Ordnance. Yes, I lold.

Do they do branch detail in OCS? If so, you may wind up being a combat arms Lieutenant for the first few years with some of those branches. Detailing aside, MI is awesome because you get a TS. Medical Service is pretty chill, but I don't think you can choose that in OCS. Finance is rare, but another good pick because on staff all you do is manage the unit's budget. Signal is good if you want to break into IT after the Army. The Logistics branches are a pretty safe bet too, but tend to have a lot of meatheads because they have a lot of slots that young dumb hooahs don't want to fill because they'd rather be jumping out of airplanes and eating snakes.

Infantry and Armor and all that jazz are great if you want to stay in the Army forever and become a General. You will never be a General.

They do branch detail but those go first on the OML then MI/Infantry. If you made it to intermediate phase you should have done the branching ceremony by now...

Branch QM then go CA. Best way to be. Also: rigger school is the only school I want to go to. Shyeah.

brains
May 12, 2004

suicide bi cop posted:

aviation is still better than any other branch ive encountered (tied maybe with amedd)
it is, but my point is don't branch aviation if you want to be a pilot. just go warrant. seriously.

this is one of my all-time favorites

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Branching is at the end of intermediate phase now, each phase is roughly 4 weeks. The week after FLX is branching and the senior phase inspection.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Can officers reclass like enlisted can?

I never understood the hate for ADA, like cavalry squadrons/19Ds I can understand because they are gay as gently caress about everything ever and deserve their reputation, but ADA is so universally reviled it's kind of funny. (disclaimer: never worked or interacted with ADA outside of gawking at an Avenger calling it a mechwarrior)

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

White Chocolate posted:

Branch QM then go CA. Best way to be. Also: rigger school is the only school I want to go to. Shyeah.

We had like one dude get sent to this school out of BOLC. Won't lie, I was jelly. Are there staff gigs in aerial delivery that can land you at this school, or is CLC3 my last bite at the apple to attend?

Justin Tyme posted:

Can officers reclass like enlisted can?

I never understood the hate for ADA, like cavalry squadrons/19Ds I can understand because they are gay as gently caress about everything ever and deserve their reputation, but ADA is so universally reviled it's kind of funny. (disclaimer: never worked or interacted with ADA outside of gawking at an Avenger calling it a mechwarrior)

Yes, we can. It's called VTIP, but mainly it's for Functional Areas. You stay in the same branch, but you go to a different career field like Space Operations or Foreign Area Officer. Changing basic branches probably ain't gonna happen these days. In the Guard and Reserve I think you can just go to a different Captains Career Course and change units if you want a different branch, but it's probably more complicated than that.

Whipped Buttcheeks fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 26, 2015

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women

We had like one dude get sent to this school out of BOLC. Won't lie, I was jelly. Are there staff gigs in aerial delivery that can land you at this school, or is CLC3 my last bite at the apple to attend?

Most staff positions coded for AD are warrants. If your basic branch is QM you have a shot at going after CLC3 but anymore the few CPTs who get it are just the ones going to take command of a rigger unit. Beyond that it's knowing someone that works there and getting a slot through the begging/hook up system. HRC's perspective has been why should they pay for it if you aren't going to "use" it.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

brains posted:

don't branch aviation if you want to be a pilot. just go warrant. seriously.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I know ADA is poo poo from the 16 months I spent working for those assholes. No redeeming qualities. Patriots are pieces of poo poo that cost an insane amount and require secondary and tertiary launches because they are unreliable. Don't tell that to them, however. They are a literal symbol for the boners they have over their jobs.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Carteret posted:

I know ADA is poo poo from the 16 months I spent working for those assholes. No redeeming qualities. Patriots are pieces of poo poo that cost an insane amount and require secondary and tertiary launches because they are unreliable. Don't tell that to them, however. They are a literal symbol for the boners they have over their jobs.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
This is going to be almost funny and sad. I was active duty Army (95B) which I hear is 31B now 2000-2004 and I'm losing my job in May and I'm currently 34 years old.

I have been seriously thinking of possibility re-enlisting for the National Guard (lol) and I'm wondering does my prior service even account for anything? Would they even take me at this age?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

This is going to be almost funny and sad. I was active duty Army (95B) which I hear is 31B now 2000-2004 and I'm losing my job in May and I'm currently 34 years old.

I have been seriously thinking of possibility re-enlisting for the National Guard (lol) and I'm wondering does my prior service even account for anything? Would they even take me at this age?

Don't do it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Would they even take me at this age?

who cares you're dumb for even considering it. it is NOT what it was even five years ago, much less a decade or more ago.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Thanks, you guys made up my mind. I'm re-joining, HOOAH!

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine

They won't bat an eye about your age. 34 is young in the guard.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Since you're prior service, you're probably not going to stick around long enough to make O6. If you're going active duty, pick a branch that translates to a real civilian job - signal (transfer to FA24 or 53 ASAP), transportation, quartermaster, medical service. Engineer is kind of hit or miss, since if you don't have an engineering degree they'll force you into combat engineering roles at O3 instead of letting you continue on the construction track. If you're going USAR, signal and EN allow for some neat deployment opportunities (even in peacetime), but EN reserve officers can have way too much of a hardon for all of the gay combat arms type poo poo, so maybe pick a logistics branch and enjoy working with normal people who just so happen to be officers.

If you're NG, idk, start sucking dick to get positions locked down because apparently they rely heavily on nepotism and can and do literally hold KD positions vacant for people so they can get promoted to O6.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Thanks, you guys made up my mind. I'm re-joining, HOOAH!

thats some motivating trash right there rah?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

If you want to be an Army Reserve General - as in yes, you're a general that comes to drill like any other reservist - just make sure you have 4 years active duty, stick around long enough, do your military education on time and be willing to do Army work for free on your own time. You'll be a general, near guaranteed, you just have to have another job as well.

Also, if you don't like getting talked down to by CW3s and SFCs that know a lot more than you, wait to become a 2LT until you're 33 and in the Reserves. Then you can experience a SFC your own age and CW3 who is 55 and works in a dog food plant for 30 years trying to talk to you like you're 21 and haven't had a job more complicated than lifeguard at a local pool.

Really, the Reserves are awesome if you want to be an officer. It's about the only place where you can be a 2LT with more years of service than the E6 lecturing you and more years of service than the CSM as the BN XO.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011
If you had to choose between these two assignments what would you pick?
1)Desk jockey occasionally doing what you're trained to do, with a bunch of idiots under you and a lot of assholes above you

2)training detail dealing with a bunch of idiots, but at least they can't boss you around like officers can.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MegaJoe89 posted:

If you had to choose between these two assignments what would you pick?
1)Desk jockey occasionally doing what you're trained to do, with a bunch of idiots under you and a lot of assholes above you

2)training detail dealing with a bunch of idiots, but at least they can't boss you around like officers can.

i'm out of the mil so i think your question about two bowls of poo poo is stupid

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cole posted:

i'm out of the mil so i think your question about two bowls of poo poo is stupid

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Cole posted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cole posted:

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Cole posted:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cole posted:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Hey, Army nobles, do you guys still use the shiny rank pins for anything anymore? I've got a bunch of O-3 and O-2 stuff laying around and I would like to give it to my little brother but gently caress if I know what your uniform regs are like and I can't be assed to look them up.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

Hey, Army nobles, do you guys still use the shiny rank pins for anything anymore? I've got a bunch of O-3 and O-2 stuff laying around and I would like to give it to my little brother but gently caress if I know what your uniform regs are like and I can't be assed to look them up.

Just on the beret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

zharmad posted:

Just on the beret.

Is the normal size, or one of the larger ones?

• Locked thread