Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MononcQc
May 29, 2007

more like dICK posted:

I was in the audience for this. It's pretty loving lovely that a white man repackaged the work that marginalized people have been doing and claimed it as his own. He's part of the problem in a big way but he still gets standing ovations because this industry is a toxic pit.

more like dICK posted:

i wonder how many other articles by shanley will get standing loving ovations instead of rape threats when they come from a man

the related question is should he have just talked about something else then. Or the problem is that this time the audience was receptive to the message?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
the problem is message appropriation

you think the message would have been accepted if the speaker was a woman or minority?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm hoping it would have went well.

So what I'm wondering here is whether the message itself is good and this should be seen as a form of amplification (the people he lifted the message from have better chances of seeing the change they want to see happening, maybe?), or if only the marginalized people should be saying these things because they're the ones who wanted to communicate that message first?

I have the feeling the problem here isn't that someone is repeating someone else's message, but that they are able to do it without any of the lovely consequences the marginalized speaker would have received. But that's a problem with the lovely audience, not the speakers, isn't it?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's the mansplaining effect

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
it also matters whether or not they are actually amplifying a message, or presenting it as some novel thing they figured out while excluding the marginalized people who are actually affected by it, and have been speaking about it all along

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jabor posted:

also you're probably better off using a computed jump into a jump table (or even directly to the relevant code if you're feeling sufficiently Real Programmer) rather than a big ladder of compares and branches

the most Real Programmer thing I've done so far here is figure out I can put my letters at tiles 41-5A and numbers at tiles 30-39

also writing assembly

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
it's the same reason that there's an inherent problem with white anti-racists being at or near the forefront of the anti-racism movement

the organizers of pycon are doing more damage to the cause of getting more women and minorities into technology by making a white man the messenger. there's no reason they couldn't have had someone like lyndsey scott or lynn root present the same talk

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MononcQc posted:

welcome to the internet, you must be new here

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Deacon of Delicious posted:

it also matters whether or not they are actually amplifying a message, or presenting it as some novel thing they figured out while excluding the marginalized people who are actually affected by it, and have been speaking about it all along

yeah its this. you're not amplifying a thing if you completely whitewash other peoples contributions and work

MononcQc posted:

if it would fly anywhere, it would be pycon, but based on my time there i'm doubtful

quote:

I have the feeling the problem here isn't that someone is repeating someone else's message, but that they are able to do it without any of the lovely consequences the marginalized speaker would have received. But that's a problem with the lovely audience, not the speakers, isn't it?
this issue is appropriation and whitewashing. if he had actually just presented other peoples work and acknowledged their contributions, i wouldn't be as upset with him.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
also another lovely thing about jacobian is that he beat me out for that loving tie at the auction the night before this keynote

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
is message appropriation a monad?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

is message appropriation a monad?

pat boone says

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pointsofdata posted:

Our product doesn't!

It uses specially formatted spreadsheets instead.

wrongo db?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

more like dICK posted:

yeah its this. you're not amplifying a thing if you completely whitewash other peoples contributions and work

this issue is appropriation and whitewashing. if he had actually just presented other peoples work and acknowledged their contributions, i wouldn't be as upset with him.

Yeah I see the issue then.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the ideal way of doing this. I can't do a JSR off of a compare without spaghetti short jumps to an intermediary subroutine. How should I be doing this?

this is the reason for indexed addressing

like you could just have one draw payouts routine (i might get some of assembler syntax wrong here)

code:
DrawPayouts:
	LDA payoutLinesDrawn ; has numbers 1-9
	ASL ; multiply by two because tables have 16 bit numbers
	TAX
	LDA textDestinationTable,X
	STA textDestinationLow
	LDA textPointerTable,X
	STA textPointerLow
	INX
	LDA textDestinationTable,X
	STA textDestinationHigh
	LDA textPointerTable,X
	STA textPointerHigh
	JSR DrawString
	JMP LoopForever
then for the tables you just have areas somewhere in ram, preferably not crossing page border, that just have the 9 different destination and pointer values

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
can anyone explain why a gui application is useful to like, view your database or w/e the gently caress is going on in here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

can anyone explain why a gui application is useful to like, view your database or w/e the gently caress is going on in here

because our database has over 900 tables and if i'm trying to understand the relationship between various tables in the database it's really helpful to have a tool that lets me visualize those relationships easily

or at least let me jump between tables without having to try and remember what they're all called

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

because our database has over 900 tables and if i'm trying to understand the relationship between various tables in the database it's really helpful to have a tool that lets me visualize those relationships easily

or at least let me jump between tables without having to try and remember what they're all called

i never had 800 tables but connecting to the db and doing /d was enough for me. plus a few selects

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

have you considered SQL Server Management Studio?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

install php myadmin lmao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm storing it all in my very large brain

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

install php myadmin lmao

triggered

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

bobbilljim posted:

i never had 800 tables but connecting to the db and doing /d was enough for me. plus a few selects

wow your so cool!!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

thats why you post here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sql developer is not that bad a gui considering its both free and made by oracle

i mostly just use the visual studio server explorer and oracle plugin tho

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 27, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I am terrible but so are gui tools. cli lyf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are schemas not meant to be documented somewhere or abstracted away by some wrapper code anyway?

idk anything about dbs

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

I am terrible but so are gui tools. cli lyf

"ive never had to use a db gui tool because ive had simple dbs, theyre all poo poo"

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

you get the same information in the cli, but faster. i didn't have 800 tables but maybe 100 or so?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Just un-normalise your database :v:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is there a mysql gui for osx that is a) decent and b) lets me like, bookmark a bunch of tables because we have like 960 tables in our DB and i'm only interested in about 80 of them and having to scroll between them all the time is annoying

i know the answer is 'get good at a command line sql tool' but i'm not a database developer and i mostly just need access to the schema quickly and easily

this kind of thing was something you used to be able to do with EOModeler.app in Enterprise Objects Framework, because it's part of how you'd create the mapping between objects and tables.

maybe there are tools for doing this sort of thing that work with other ORMs like Hibernate. they'd exist primarily to make the object/relational mapping easier, but for most of that stuff a major goal is not having to modify the schema of existing databases, so you could likely use them just for visualization too.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i bet all of you use file browsers too instead of ls and cd as god intended

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pointsofdata posted:

Are schemas not meant to be documented somewhere or abstracted away by some wrapper code anyway?

idk anything about dbs

they should be both documented somewhere and abstracted away, though using wrapper code instead of an object relational mapping system sucks. if an ORM is written correctly it basically does all the wrapping you'd do yourself, plus stuff that's really hard to get right like concurrency and faulting.

anyone who tells you not to use an ORM is a fool, even if you don't use one from the start you'll wind up using one, it'll just be a lovely ad hoc ORM you write yourself instead of one written by people who do ORM professionally.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

bobbilljim posted:

i bet all of you use file browsers too instead of ls and cd as god intended

dired is a good file browser

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i use ranger op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

denormalize yourself and face to schema

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Symbolic Butt posted:

also learn java and/or c# because it's relatively easy to be half decent at these langs

been writing in c# for the past few weeks

it's p good, but the code i'm working on is legacy as poo poo - a big rear end website written in webforms with no documentation, passes references for action to be taken on instead of returning values and updating them, and full of methods that return a property on an object instead of the object itself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Captain Foo posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

eschaton posted:

...they should be both documented somewhere and abstracted away...

how do they even get documented without use of a gui tool

anyway, documentation is only good for why things happened, not what happened, and "nobody" really writes why

• Locked thread