Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

to be fair what purchase of a xbone hasn't been a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

to be fair what purchase of a xbone hasn't been a mistake

oh poo poo and right after their earnings call!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you can cancel an order after

:|

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but ATP is insufferable because marco is a really really stupid but nobody tells him he's wrong ever

why do you think Marco is stupid?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

he's got a mailboxhead we just went over this

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

marco is a big whiny bitch. he's the exact opposite of siracusa. i especially liked on the episode after marco's big "functional high ground" post that siracusa basically didn't agree with him at all and said it was rose tinted glasses and marco just ignored it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
what are they up to these days on hawaii winpho?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
:ughh:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Try Again

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lmao

ayy lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Phoenixan posted:

"hey just a rando thought" (circles a thing on the company website) "think you can make this pop more?"

hhhnnnnnnnnnnnggngngngggngng

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

tighten up the graphics on level 3

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I don't want to start a holy war here, but what is the deal with you Windows fanatics? I've been sitting here at my freelance gig in front of a Surface 3 (an i5-4300U w/8 GB of RAM) for about 20 minutes now while it attempts to copy a 17 Meg file from one folder on the hard drive to another folder. 20 minutes. At home, on my 1st Gen Macbook Air running OS X 10.10, which by all standards should be a lot slower than this Surface, the same operation would take about 2 minutes. If that.

In addition, during this file transfer, Chome will not work. And everything else has ground to a halt. Even Notepad++ is straining to keep up as I type this.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems that I've encountered while working on various Windows PCs, but suffice it to say there have been many, not the least of which is I've never seen a Surface that has run faster than its Apple counterpart, despite the Surface' faster chip architecture. My 2007 iMac with 2 GB of ram runs faster than this 1.9ghz (2.9 with turbo boost) machine at times. From a productivity standpoint, I don't get how people can claim that the Surface is a superior machine.

Windows addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use Windows over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 27, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

what are they up to these days on hawaii winpho?

jfc

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I don't want to start a holy war here, but what is the deal with you Mac fanatics? I've been sitting here at my freelance gig in front of a Mac (a 8600/300 w/64 Megs of RAM) for about 20 minutes now while it attempts to copy a 17 Meg file from one folder on the hard drive to another folder. 20 minutes. At home, on my Pentium Pro 200 running NT 4, which by all standards should be a lot slower than this Mac, the same operation would take about 2 minutes. If that.

In addition, during this file transfer, Netscape will not work. And everything else has ground to a halt. Even BBEdit Lite is straining to keep up as I type this.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems that I've encountered while working on various Macs, but suffice it to say there have been many, not the least of which is I've never seen a Mac that has run faster than its Wintel counterpart, despite the Macs' faster chip architecture. My 486/66 with 8 megs of ram runs faster than this 300 mhz machine at times. From a productivity standpoint, I don't get how people can claim that the Macintosh is a superior machine.

Mac addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use a Mac over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.

lol what old forum did you dig this up from

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I don't want to start a holy war here, but what is the deal with you Mac fanatics? I've been sitting here at my freelance gig in front of a Mac (a 8600/300 w/64 Megs of RAM) for about 20 minutes now while it attempts to copy a 17 Meg file from one folder on the hard drive to another folder. 20 minutes. At home, on my Pentium Pro 200 running NT 4, which by all standards should be a lot slower than this Mac, the same operation would take about 2 minutes. If that.

In addition, during this file transfer, Netscape will not work. And everything else has ground to a halt. Even BBEdit Lite is straining to keep up as I type this.

I won't bore you with the laundry list of other problems that I've encountered while working on various Macs, but suffice it to say there have been many, not the least of which is I've never seen a Mac that has run faster than its Wintel counterpart, despite the Macs' faster chip architecture. My 486/66 with 8 megs of ram runs faster than this 300 mhz machine at times. From a productivity standpoint, I don't get how people can claim that the Macintosh is a superior machine.

Mac addicts, flame me if you'd like, but I'd rather hear some intelligent reasons why anyone would choose to use a Mac over other faster, cheaper, more stable systems.

Is this a Paul quote? And is it from less than 15 years ago?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kadin2048/Slashdot_Trolling_Phenomena

edit: I changed it loooooook

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 27, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

you weren't trolling /. circa 2000? :getout:

http://www.kottke.org/98/11/my-mac-sucks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i was in 2nd grade in 2000

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

carry on then posted:

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

one of the oddities about macos classic is that it doesn't really do true multitasking, it handles tasks more or less in order and a single task hanging could basically screw up everything

macs back then weren't faster but they were harder to gently caress up than a windows machine and tended to have more consistent performance, especially if you truly used your mac for a single task (e.g. weren't also browsing the web with it while working and downloading everything)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

i was in 3rd grade...of college

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

holy poo poo lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mac OS classic was a clusterfuck

mods change my name to Leeloo Dallas multifinder

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

carry on then posted:

same, i think

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Luigi Thirty posted:

7.5.3 lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Chome will not work.
chome!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Luigi Thirty posted:

it was really bad. cooperative multitasking is terrible and lack of memory protection is worse.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
is slashdot good again? I stopped reading when every post was about american politics like TSA and whatnot but I'm looking at the headlines and they seem interesting

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

since the last win10 build update I now get a series of 6 UAC prompts in a row every five minutes because I have the UAC slider cranked all the way up because they are apparently running some background task scheduler thing that needs admin under your user context all the loving time

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

since the last win10 build update I now get a series of 6 UAC prompts in a row every five minutes because I have the UAC slider cranked all the way up because they are apparently running some background task scheduler thing that needs admin under your user context all the loving time

yeah that sounds about right for windows vist- oh it isn't 2007, whoops

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

program666 posted:

is slashdot good again? I stopped reading when every post was about american politics like TSA and whatnot but I'm looking at the headlines and they seem interesting

/. has never been good in the 21st century

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

/. has never been good

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i can never get over how he looks so worried in this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU