Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zwabu posted:

The fact that SMG can rate it as not just good, but "insanely good", I don't even know.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret about SMG's taste in movies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Hey guys, is Bride of Frakenstein James Whale's 3rd best picture? Cuz I think The Invisible Man and The Old Dark House are better. All great films, but The Invisible Man is an underrated masterpiece.

James Whale was real good is all I'm saying.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Bruce looks in great shape, Raimi looks like a child molester. The other guy, maybe Jewish?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only like 10 minutes into The Return of the Living Dead and I'm already struck by how much this

1) owns
2) is dope
3) is well-shot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Took you long enough.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm only like 10 minutes into The Return of the Living Dead and I'm already struck by how much this

1) owns
2) is dope
3) is well-shot

yuuuuuuuup

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Did I lose the race against whoever the other person was who had to watch some other movie?

Also: it's been pointed to twice so far, but to what extent does this movie keep on being about fear of, and useless attempts to control, young people?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
ROTL is probably equally influential as Night at this point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Did I lose the race against whoever the other person was who had to watch some other movie?

Also: it's been pointed to twice so far, but to what extent does this movie keep on being about fear of, and useless attempts to control, young people?

the whole thing's basically a zombie movie meets an '80s anti-Reagan punk song

also any time anyone mentions it Surfin' Dead pops in my head. this is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHww_HJt1qk

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
My favourite part of the movie is how the young people are accepting, smart and resourceful. Well, tied for favourite with everything else.

Bert & Ernie 4 lyfe

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Twinkling synths coming in to match the fluttering wings of some recently-zombified butterflies is a gag that any horror-comedy would be lucky to have.

EDIT: Let me know if it's obnoxious for me to basically live-post my watching of the movie like this, happy to collect everything in Notepad and put it all in one post once I'm done.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's drat near unparallelled how well Return of the Living Dead switches between effective horror and silly comedy. the butterfly wings and the split dog are legitimately haunting images, even at the same time as being really funny jokes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I think you won, as I don't recall who the other person was and what movie it was they had to watch...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Are any of the ROTLD sequels worth watching?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think you won, as I don't recall who the other person was and what movie it was they had to watch...

K Waste and Ghost World

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Are any of the ROTLD sequels worth watching?

part 3 is really, really good.

part 2 really, really blows.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hat Thoughts posted:

K Waste and Ghost World

Ghost World is like #270 on my Netflix queue. I'm not racing any of you jock-o-homos.

I am the Tortoise. You are the Achilles.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

I am the Tortoise. You are the Achilles.

Well joke's on you dumbass because I'm pretty sure Achilles wins that race

[looks up spoilers]

Noooooo

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Jenny Angel posted:

Well joke's on you dumbass because I'm pretty sure Achilles wins that race

[looks up spoilers]

Noooooo

To be fair, I don't really "win." I just trap you in a flushing toilet of my own logical fallacies, using your own pride against you.

I should probably spoiler that, don't wanna give away my whole bit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Backing this. 2 is just a generic horror comedy that isn't funny or scary at all and is just a waste of your time. 3 is something else altogether.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I did not hate Unfriended, though the kills were uninspired. I did kind of wish the girl had gotten linked to the full video revealing her as the one recording, THEN the ghost started the countdown and we either cut to black or gotten the spooky-ghost-hand-laptop-slamming moment (if they absolutely had to do something) at zero.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah.

Hat Thoughts posted:

K Waste and Ghost World

This is his loss. He's going to watch a million bad movies before watching one good one.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

ROTL is probably equally influential as Night at this point.

If I remember right, it invented the concepts of talking zombies and fast zombies, so it definitely had a large influence.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If I remember right, it invented the concepts of talking zombies and fast zombies, so it definitely had a large influence.

It also originated zombies craving brains specifically, rather than just being cannibals.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

EDIT: Let me know if it's obnoxious for me to basically live-post my watching of the movie like this, happy to collect everything in Notepad and put it all in one post once I'm done.

Return of the Living Dead is one of those movies that comes up like once a month in this thread, yet nobody will ever get tired of talking about it.

The more horror I see the more RotLD shoots up my all-time list. Its the best horror-comedy ever, that much I'm sure of. But it may be one of the top-5 horror movies of all-time, period. I struggle to think of more than one or two horror films that I'd place above it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

As well as zombies craving brains.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It also originated zombies craving brains specifically, rather than just being cannibals.

Yep! I love the whole spiel about NOTLD being part of a bullshit coverup.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep! I love the whole spiel about NOTLD being part of a bullshit coverup.

the fact that the monologue places the real life event Night of the Living Dead is based on in 1969 despite the fact that the movie came out in 1968 is one of my favorite subtle gags.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the fact that the monologue places the real life event Night of the Living Dead is based on in 1969 despite the fact that the movie came out in 1968 is one of my favorite subtle gags.

Alex Jones talked about this...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something else. It's such a great idea, and it seems so obvious now. God, I really want to rewatch Return of the Living Dead now.

Basebf555 posted:

The more horror I see the more RotLD shoots up my all-time list. Its the best horror-comedy ever, that much I'm sure of. But it may be one of the top-5 horror movies of all-time, period. I struggle to think of more than one or two horror films that I'd place above it.

Evil Dead 2 just barely edges it out as a better horror-comedy, but both are loving great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Evil Dead 2 just barely edges it out as a better horror-comedy, but both are loving great.

if forced to choose, I would say Evil Dead II is the better movie (because it's basically my favorite movie of all time), but I think Return of the Living Dead navigates the transitions between horror and comedy better. the horror definitely hits harder in ROTLD.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I saw The Re-Animator for the first time recently, and it jumped to the top of my horror comedy list. I probably need to see it another time or two.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I saw The Re-Animator for the first time recently, and it jumped to the top of my horror comedy list. I probably need to see it another time or two.

yeah Evil Dead II, Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator are the holy trinity of the genre.

some throw Dawn of the Dead in there too but I choose not to count it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Evil Dead II, Return of the Living Dead and Re-Animator are the holy trinity of the genre.

I feel like Shaun of the Dead will make it with a little more distance, if it hasn't already.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

100% agreed. The order is personal preference but I don't think there's any other horror-comedies that would compete with these three.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I feel like Shawn of the Dead will make it with a little more distance, if it hasn't already.

I would definitely agree with this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dead-Alive also deserves a spot in the conversation of course.

I'd put Cabin in the Woods in there too but I know that even mentioning that movie is like hurling a firebomb into the thread

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm sure some people would throw bows for American Werewolf in London, but as much as I like that movie it always feels paper thin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

morestuff posted:

I feel like Shaun of the Dead will make it with a little more distance, if it hasn't already.

Shaun of the Dead is already there, the question is whether The World's End will join it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I'm sure some people would throw bows for American Werewolf in London, but as much as I like that movie it always feels paper thin

oh poo poo, I forgot that one. I think it can hang with the all-time greats.