Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
proof that humour has not advanced in all of human history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They were hella funny in 1773. I laughed.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Boxturret posted:

proof that humour has not advanced in all of human history

the oldest recorded joke is a fart joke from 1900BC

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Bone Saw McGraw (November 15, 1952 - May 20, 2011) is a former American professional wrestler most known for his stint in the WNWA.

History
McGraw made his WNWA debut in the summer of 2006 as part of the bsWo. He defeated Dale Taylor to win the WNWA National Heavyweight Championship, a belt he lost in November 2006 to Pike. McGraw was released from his contract on February 26, 2007.

Personal Life and views
McGraw is a second generation wrestler. His father Angelo also wrestled.
McGraw was married twice and has no children.
Trivia
McGraw recently released a critically panned rap album.
McGraw was a stand-out baseball player in high school and had a short minor league career.
He and Thunderlips legitimately hate each other.
Salary
$750,900 per year, not including endorsements.

Title History
One time WNWA National Heavyweight Champion.

Real name Randall Mario McGraw
Ring Names {{{names}}}
Height 6'2
Weight 245 lbs.
Date of birth November 15, 1952
Place of birth Sarasota, FL
Date of death May 20, 2011 (aged 58)
Place of death Seminole, Floria
Resides
Billed from Sarastota, FL
Trainer Angleo McGraw
Current
federation(s) WNWA
Previous
federation(s) {{{previous_efeds}}}
Handled by
Win/Loss Record {{{winloss_record}}}
Debut 1973
Retired 2005

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
bone saw is rea ady

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
heh

brownmark

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Douglas DC 9 aircraft with ventral stairs were also equipped with Cooper vanes. The DC 9-21 used for skydiving at the 2006 World Free Fall Convention in Rantoul, Illinois, had one installed, but since the rear pressure bulkhead door and the stairs had been removed to facilitate fast jumper exits, the vane, which was left in place, did not prevent jumps.[3]

a plane modified for skydiving disabled the devices that stopped skydivers from skydiving, so they were able to skydive

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
In essence, then, James Bond doesn't seem to care that his martini will be ugly upon presentation, or he might prefer the "shaken" version for its texture, or for the fact that he will receive his drink slightly earlier because shaking chills a liquid faster.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sweevo posted:

the oldest recorded joke is a fart joke from 1900BC

that's just the way it is
some things'll never change
that's just the way it is'

oooh but don't you believe it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In English, words like "ummm" and "uh" are used as filler words when you're thinking about what to say. In Chinese, 那个 (nèige) is used for this purpose. This can sound a bit "racist"[2] to some English speakers, but it's very common in Mandarin and you'll hear it quite often around Chinese speakers.

2↑ See This or That? Mandarin and the "N" word for elaboration

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there are a billion one syllable words in mandarin, but their filler word is two? lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

there are a billion one syllable words in mandarin, but their filler word is two? lol

actually the majority of mandarin words are two syllables, so this is no more surprising than "ok" being two syllables in english

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fair enough

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Most Ordensburgen were rectangular, even quadratic in form, built from red brick and lacking a Bergfried. Many castles had no towers at all, as the bailey, a mighty quadrangle, was considered sufficient for defence.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

a mighty quadrangle

mods?

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Culture

Einstürzende Neubauten, a German industrial music group
En or Ann, an antagonist from the Makaiju episodes of the Sailor Moon anime series

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

The depicted and imo not-identifyable person is, of course, a friend of the photographer

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

bah, a real papparazzo would've sold it to TMZ anyway, who would have run it as a story proving Rosie O'Donnell has cancer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
"Burnsides" became "sideburns" probably because of their location on the side of the face.[citation needed]

Although the character Harry Flashman famed villain of Tom Brown's Schooldays (1857) by Thomas Hughes (1822–1896) was known to have sported 'sideburns' at a time when Ambrose Burnside was neither famous or a General.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Decline [edit]

Attacks on the theories surrounding the ability of tobacco to cure diseases had begun early in the 17th century. King James I was scathing of its effectiveness, writing "[it] will not deigne to cure heere any other than cleanly and gentlemanly diseases." Others claimed that smoking dried out the humours, that snuff made the brain sooty, and that old people should not smoke as they were naturally dried up anyway.[19]

While certain beliefs regarding the effectiveness of tobacco smoke to protect against disease persisted until well into the 20th century,[20] the use of smoke enemas in Western medicine declined after 1811, when through animal experimentation Benjamin Brodie demonstrated that nicotine—the principal active agent in tobacco smoke—is a cardiac poison that can stop the circulation of blood.[5]

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Soricidus posted:

excuse me, paranoid schizophrenia is no laughing matter

I read about the 'Air Loom' earlier today on wiki and it was an interesting badbrains case.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

I remember that part of master and commander, it was p. weird
fake e. actually i dont think it was an enema i think stephen just blew smoke in the drowning guys lungs but still p cray

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I read about the 'Air Loom' earlier today on wiki and it was an interesting badbrains case.

the development of advanced electronics were a boon to the crazy because they had to put a lot less work into their delusions.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This made adults and children very happy when he came out with this series because it was a series for adults and kids to read. [6]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The lyrics for the song tell of the singer meeting a "devil woman" and she giving him love. The chorus of the song includes the song's famous stutter and speaks of her looking at him with big brown eyes and [saying] 'You ain't seen nothin' yet. B-, b-, b-, baby, you just ain't seen na, na, nothin yet. Here's somethin' that you're never gonna forget. B-, b-, b-, baby, you just ain't seen na, na, nothin yet.'

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Later, the song was once planned to be sung only by Simba and Nala but in the end the idea was scrapped because the directors decided it was an "unearned" moment between Simba and Nala.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_robot_selfie

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

thank you for sharing this, "however they were not considered by Discovery News as a true selfie in its list of top 10 space robot selfies" is my new favorite sentence from the storehouse of human knowledge

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
With songs described as "catchy as hell"[by whom?], The Kooks have experimented in several genres

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
This is one of three places worldwide where, simultaneously, an airplane could pass over an automobile passing over a train passing over a boat.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

autismecca

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Blue Train posted:

autismecca

mods

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

This concept was altered dramatically when Janet Pack became involved in dramatic readings of the works, as Pack's personal characteristics had a strong impact on how those involved in the process viewed the kender. According to Jeff Grubb, she, "and as a result all kender since her, was cute. Extremely cute. Sweetly, lovably, frustratingly cute.... And it's hard, after seeing Janet play Tas, to imagine them any other way."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is one of three places worldwide where, simultaneously, an airplane could pass over an automobile passing over a train passing over a boat.

i can name three places just in london where that could happen (assuming the criteria is road bridge over train bridge over river/canal)

in fact at connaught road before they closed silverlink (and again when crossrail reopens) you've got a rail tunnel under a dock under a road bridge under the flight path of london city airport so you could have a plane over a car over a boat over a train

oh god is the 'tism contagious?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i can name three places just in london where that could happen (assuming the criteria is road bridge over train bridge over river/canal)

in fact at connaught road before they closed silverlink (and again when crossrail reopens) you've got a rail tunnel under a dock under a road bridge under the flight path of london city airport so you could have a plane over a car over a boat over a train

oh god is the 'tism contagious?

i'm sorry sir, you'll have to go into quarantine

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

i'm sorry sir, you'll have to go into quarantine

you say "go into" like i'm not already in the right thread/forum/site

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Puns

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Photograph of a parrot with a 'lolcat' style label of 'psittacism psittacism'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Virtual world adaptions[edit]
In 2014 the Little Princess Ballet Academy (LPBA) performed the entire Swan Lake in Second Life. The adaption follows the original, but some parts like the pas de deux was not possible to perform in Second Life and has been changed. All parts are played by individual avatars.[23]