Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Neither does posting not many words
I'm proof of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Equeen posted:

I found a better quote from that thread:

I'd say that Triticum Guzzler should be made mod of GBS, but I don't want him to get Francoed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'd say that Triticum Guzzler should be made mod of GBS

If you have proof he's a pedo you should probably PM an admin so they can just ban him.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Typing a lot of words doesn't make a post good

Yeah, being entertaining and well written made it a good post. And your brevity didn't keep your post from being bad, either.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe

Totally TWISTED posted:

that's just, like, your OPINION, man.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

If you don't 'get' the Everest death pool then you don't 'get' ironic/dark humor and should probably just leave Something Awful.

Here's some points I want to make:

1. I was almost killed in a mountain climbing accident in 2011, yet I still do summits. In fact, I was back on top of a mountain 5 weeks after nearly falling to my death.

2. I know someone who is in Nepal and is at posting time unaccounted for, but probably safe considering he wasn't very close to the epicenter.

3. I live in a place where friends of friends are killed in back country accidents frequently and it's a horrendous tragedy that effects the entire local outdoor community.

4. I participated in the death pool.

Everest is a morbidly fascinating gently caress up of a disaster that perfectly documents humanity's incessant greed. It's everything wrong with us. The entire situation behind the Everest climbing culture sickens and depresses me. I hate that people are dying for the glory and the money. I'm not in it to mock their deaths, I'm in it because these deaths are loving ridiculous and wasteful. I don't think they're idiots for accepting the challenge, because I'm still engaging in extremely risky behavior even after almost losing it all. I do think most of them are doing it for the wrong reasons. Like our lovely Canadian climber from 2012. Her preparation was an indoor climbing wall. She had never gone mountaineering before in her life. She should NOT have been on that mountain. At all. It still boggles my mind to this day that anyone thought it was a good idea. This dark twisted humor is the only way I can deal with that shitshow going on over there and all of these senseless, stupid deaths and sacrifices being made for the sake of ego and glory.

Obviously not everyone in there feels the way I do, but it's not really fair to think we're all giddy over the tragedy happening right now.

Zanshin
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
"Typing a lot of words doesn't make a post good" - Someone who can't even read a comic book without moving thier lips

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It wasn't made on SA, but a r/relationships thread may seem familiar to some:

quote:

Hi /r/relationships. My boyfriend and I have been together since high school and he moved in with me a year ago. He was diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder when he was younger, but he takes medication for it and hasn’t shown any signs of mental instability until now. About two months ago, he began acting strange. The first thing I noticed was that started making edgy racial jokes and other kinds of dark humour when he didn’t do that kind of stuff before.
I didn’t think that was a big deal, but over time the jokes started to make less sense. Some of the “jokes” he told me were just nonsensical combinations of offensive words. I asked him why he found these things funny and he just told me “it’s ironic”. One time I got home early and I could hear him muttering one of these phrases to himself, over and over: “my dad is a n****r who loves to orb”. That’s when I began to suspect something was wrong, although he was acting normal otherwise.
I started counting his pills while he was out of the house; he seemed to be taking them as directed. I also looked at his internet history to see if it could provide any insight into his behavior. I found a site where other people were posting this kind of humour and having discussions about irony, and I was relieved. I finally knew where this stuff came from and that other people understood these jokes, even if I didn’t get it myself. He also had a therapy appointment during this time and his behavior didn’t arouse any suspicion.
However, he seems to have become progressively obsessed with this kind of humour to the point where it is interfering with his life and our relationship. He has been telling these “jokes” to me constantly, even though I’ve made it clear that I don’t find them funny. Today, I asked him what he wanted for dinner and he accused me of asking the question ironically. I was confused about this and when I asked what he meant he said it didn’t matter because he was being ironic as well. He then went off into a bizarre speech about levels of irony and irony recursion, which reminded me of some things I had read on the sites he posted on. He was talking very fast and it was hard to understand him. When he had finished I told him that I was very concerned for his mental health and I wanted him to book an appointment with his psychiatrist. He blew up and told me that I didn’t understand irony because I was a woman, and he was going to his friend’s house until I calmed down. He just got up and left.
I haven’t texted or called him yet because I don’t want to make things worse but I am very, very concerned. Like I said, his mental illness has been completely under control for as long as we’ve been together; I have no idea how to cope with these new developments. I considered calling his psychiatrist but I think that may be too drastic, and I can’t force him to do anything he doesn’t want to. I’m thinking that when he comes back, and is hopefully acting more rational, I can explain my concerns about his obsession with this kind of internet humour and convince him to mention it to his therapist or doctor. I only want what’s best for him.
Tl;dr: Boyfriend discovered an internet community based on ironic humour and became obsessed with it. I am worried that it is exacerbating his mental illness. What to do?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Totally TWISTED posted:

i never read posts that long

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zanshin posted:

"Typing a lot of words doesn't make a post good" - Someone who can't even read a comic book without moving thier lips

Nah they're right. I normally chide people who want to fart on something for being too long, but if you write a wall of text and you aren't drat compelling there's no loving way I'm wasting my time reading even if there's gold hidden on page 8.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

poo poo kid you've got to put a link up with that I wanna see the shitshow.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just wondering wtf "orbing" is, and gently caress if I'm googling that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm just wondering wtf "orbing" is, and gently caress if I'm googling that.

orb is a fyad meme, like tane or plape or niggerstomper58.
here's the link

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pretty sure it's just a FYAD recruiting campaign and not a real story.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Pretty sure it's just a FYAD recruiting campaign and not a real story.

No!

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

quote:

Today, I asked him what he wanted for dinner and he accused me of asking the question ironically.

This is pretty good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

edit:

Weird BIAS posted:

lotta african americans get triggered by old white men.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Apr 26, 2015

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

More astronauts come from Ohio than any other state in the US. It's so loving bad they want to leave the PLANET to get away.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

mind the walrus posted:

Nah they're right. I normally chide people who want to fart on something for being too long, but if you write a wall of text and you aren't drat compelling there's no loving way I'm wasting my time reading even if there's gold hidden on page 8.

For sale: sense of humor, never worn.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nanomashoes posted:

niggerstomper is alive!

But now seriously. Kids, be careful with dank memes, green texting and FYAD\BYOB posting. You need moderation and self-control if you want to have fun doing those things. Leave the big posts for the professional posters.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

mind the walrus posted:

It's a decent post.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Centripetal Horse posted:

For sale: sense of humor, never worn.

"actually my post that another poster posted was very funny"

it seemed boring but w/e

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

It's a decent post.

And Proust has a great reputation but gently caress if I'm taking the time to read it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your mother has a great reputation.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

And Proust has a great reputation but gently caress if I'm taking the time to read it.

Christ shut the gently caress up

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
ayy lmao

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I tried reading Proust but it was some poo poo about how the pavement made him feel or something. And the entire book was like that. That goon is no Proust.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think it was in a previous quotes thread, but does anyone have the quote someone wrote about the importance of spelling, or language, and being clear about what you are saying, and as they go on, their speech degrades to poorly spelled words, then gibberish, and finally just screeming ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mans posted:

your mother has a great reputation.

And I'm not reading her books. Conclusion: His mother is Proust.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well she certainly isn't proud

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Please do not swear.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Scathach posted:

I'm pretty sure that the gal in the first two is actually Pear Chan.

Ghostlight posted:

You are correct, although it's more Lump Chan these days.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

B33rChiller posted:

I think it was in a previous quotes thread, but does anyone have the quote someone wrote about the importance of spelling, or language, and being clear about what you are saying, and as they go on, their speech degrades to poorly spelled words, then gibberish, and finally just screeming ?

I'm no good at finding quotes, but I know the one you mean (which might help you/someone find it) it's about "Why is Pluto a dwarf planet now?" "Why make distinctions between anything? Why not call everything the same thing? Why not aaaaa aaa aaaaaa"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TVIV talking about Game of Thrones episode 3. Tyrion is a dwarf, Jorah is a guy who just kidnapped him to get back together with Dany.

RBA Starblade posted:

When they get to Dany I want Jorah to hold up Tyrion like he was holding a boombox outside some girl's window.

bobjr posted:

"Sing the song!"
"What song?"
"We only have like 3 songs so pick one"

Jerusalem posted:

Also, poor Jorah was so drunk he mistook Tyrion for a printer.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

e: on second thought I don't think this is the right one but it's funny anyway

peenworm posted:

No no you see the rules of language are purely arbitrary stodgy ivory-tower crap we doesn't have to worried aboard because everytime history on you rebendible sausage mountain.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

might be wrong posted:

e: on second thought I don't think this is the right one but it's funny anyway

yes, might be wrong.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

gently caress off.

Manifest posted:

If convicted he'll never go to general population.
He'll be kept with the unit full of losers who would die in gen pop.

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

sort of like the gbs of prison

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

yes, might be wrong.

today is the day I buy a new loving username

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

Rape was a lot less traumatic in those days, there was usually a slide-whistle involved

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

Is it this?

reflir posted:

NewsMonster posted:

Pluto.

I mean, it was a planet when I was in school, now it's a 'dwarf planet.'

It's very large, enough so that it's gravity has given it a spherical shape... it has a moon... or 3... it's cleared it's orbit of other objects... why the hell do we have to be uber technical and say it's not a planet?!
I know exactly what you mean, why have distinctions between planets and dwarf planets? Why not just refer to everything in space as either chunks of rock or globes of gas? In fact, why would we even distinguish between those? Why have distinctioa aaa aaaaa? Whaaaa aa aaaaaa aaaaa aaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Oh hey, NewsMonster! The subject of one of my other favorites:

Quixotic posted:

"feminism?!" newsmonster kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. he kramers against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling he's trying to say something to you but he's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as he finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear him exclaim "I'm a feminist, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

• Locked thread