Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mortabis posted:

Excuse me the F-106 had the best air-to-air weapon ever devised. :colbert:

We're getting some mock bombs and Sidewinders to hang off our F-4, and I keep suggesting that we commission a Genie as well for the 106 but I don't think they're gonna go for it. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I came across a mockup missile labeled "Genie" at the Museum of Flying in Santa Monica today. Looked a little small to be carrying a nuclear weapon in the tip but I guess it did.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well they fit that physics package in an artillery shell so an air to air rocket should've been easy.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Well they fit that physics package in an artillery shell so an unguided air to air rocket should've been easy.

You forgot the best (and most gloriously Cold War) part of it all. Given the Soviets' similar hardon for insane solutions, I'm surprised I've yet to read anything about them trying the same.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 27, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Man I wish someone would refit a 102 or a 106 so they're flyable. They're my favorite Cold War fighters, lovely worthless Falcon missiles and all.

Up until semi-recently the USAF was rolling with a fleet of drone full-scale targets that were Delta Darts (I think the last ones got expended in the late '90s)

Unfortunately they shot them all down before the whole "let's paint a few of them up in 'Nam colors and fly them at airshows" thing started with the Phantom QF-4 fleet a little while back.

Also yeah the Genie's physics package was the W25, it was about 2 feet long, a foot and a half in diameter, and weighted a little over 200 lbs. As long as you aren't trying to do anything crazy like boosted fission or a straight two-stage fusion weapon your physics package can be pretty small.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Heres a random video dump of ones I took this week on a det.

We did a lot of expeditionary refueling which in an of itself is the most boring poo poo ever but it means you get to hang around cool helicopters that don't have big fuel tanks like H-1's. Here's a video of one entering our pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1oJSwHdlR8
Here he is coming in for the pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKySpsZRA0
I did a fly over of some podunk raceway in my home town. South Boston Speedway if anyone is interested in seeing how podunk it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGXeG6ZkGg
Cool thing is my parents got some video from the ground of it. My dads a huge aviation nerd so it was extra awesome for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYvZDGjIlI
Bonus points, I had some photography marines in the back to snap a bunch of sweet photos.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Heres a random video dump of ones I took this week on a det.

We did a lot of expeditionary refueling which in an of itself is the most boring poo poo ever but it means you get to hang around cool helicopters that don't have big fuel tanks like H-1's. Here's a video of one entering our pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1oJSwHdlR8
Here he is coming in for the pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKySpsZRA0
I did a fly over of some podunk raceway in my home town. South Boston Speedway if anyone is interested in seeing how podunk it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGXeG6ZkGg
Cool thing is my parents got some video from the ground of it. My dads a huge aviation nerd so it was extra awesome for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYvZDGjIlI
Bonus points, I had some photography marines in the back to snap a bunch of sweet photos.

Neat videos. I saw Ospreys flying over the Norfolk/Portsmouth area once, and they were just weird to see actually flying.

I met up with an old college friend tonight. He's an engineer with Lockheed and almost made me think that the F-35 is cool again. Almost.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

I came across a mockup missile labeled "Genie" at the Museum of Flying in Santa Monica today. Looked a little small to be carrying a nuclear weapon in the tip but I guess it did.

The W48 was crammed into a 155mm shell, so make sense that they could stick a nuke in a rocket. I've heard ~rumors~ that it was possible to do crazy poo poo to get a nuke in a 105, but I've never gotten any hard evidence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LostCosmonaut posted:

The W48 was crammed into a 155mm shell, so make sense that they could stick a nuke in a rocket. I've heard ~rumors~ that it was possible to do crazy poo poo to get a nuke in a 105, but I've never gotten any hard evidence.

ACN-130

:fap:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

reddeathdrinker posted:

Red Arrows at Aberdeen beach, flying Folland Gnats at olden-days safe flying levels (before they got the Hawks they currently fly, so photo is pre-1979)

Great photos, but I will always love this one. A part of me wishes we could go back to air displays like it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LostCosmonaut posted:

Davy Crockett?

E: ignore me, a little shorter but much fatter

simplefish fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 27, 2015

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

reddeathdrinker posted:

Here's some of my dads photos...

Short Sandringham on the Solent

Would that be the one that's in the Solent Sky museum?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Platystemon posted:

Well that’s one way to fly a plane.

So does this mean the pilot can log both rotor and fixed wing PIC time?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

reddeathdrinker posted:

I can go a bit better - I remember the Vulcan at the RAF Leuchars air display back in the early 80's when it was still in service... They fly it so gently now by comparison. Imagine a Vulcan pulling an F-16 style take-off and climbing turn at full thrunge. I blame him completely and utterly for me turning out such an aviation geek... Bear in mind these are all 80's, and scanned from film.

In the late 70s, the Finningley display often included a 3-aircraft QRA scramble of the bases' vulcans, so you need to imagine your ballistic takeoff, and extrapolate it to 3 of them rumbling down the runway in formation and doing it.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

fordan posted:

So does this mean the pilot can log both rotor and fixed wing PIC time?

Do V-22 pilots?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

You forgot the best (and most gloriously Cold War) part of it all. Given the Soviets' similar hardon for insane solutions, I'm surprised I've yet to read anything about them trying the same.
The USSR did not have any nuclear AAMs (which apparently came as a huge surprise to the US after the Cold War).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

phongn posted:

The USSR did not have any nuclear AAMs (which apparently came as a huge surprise to the US after the Cold War).

The Soviets had a stronger institutional fear of putting nuclear weapons in the hands of a single man.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I see the thread has rolled around to the F-106/Genie chat. Obviously that means it's time to remind everyone about ADC Darts vs TAC Vipers

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Psion posted:

I see the thread has rolled around to the F-106/Genie chat. Obviously that means it's time to remind everyone about ADC Darts vs TAC Vipers

Heavy fighters rule supreme.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

inkjet_lakes posted:

The Red Arrows Hawks were definitely combat capable up until the early-90's, when the aircraft would have had a point defence role if WW3 had kicked off, not sure when it was discontinued - there are plenty of pics of them flying with Sidewinders & gun pod mounted. Hopefully they'd have had chance to re-paint them before Ivan turned up.

Yep, I was wrong, entirely disagree on the repainting though- if you are gonna die, die stylish

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Psion posted:

I've read this so many times, but it never stops giving me an erection.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I've read this so many times, but it never stops giving me an erection.

Same here, I love that fuckin' story. It's every bit as funny as, "Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground."

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Acebuckeye13 posted:

We're getting some mock bombs and Sidewinders to hang off our F-4, and I keep suggesting that we commission a Genie as well for the 106 but I don't think they're gonna go for it. :saddowns:

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum has an F101 Voodoo loaded for Bear with a Genie.

The tour guide didn't really mention it but it is blatantly obvious just from the look of it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

They had tons of nuke SAMs, but despite having gigantic air-to-air missiles and unguided rockets, I've never heard of a nuke option there, either.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Psion posted:

Can someone explain to me the finger over 2 rising moons thing to me? Awesome story!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Lilbeefer posted:

Can someone explain to me the finger over 2 rising moons thing to me? Awesome story!

I'm pretty sure it meant that the Dart pilot and backseat guy were both mooning the F-16s while giving them the ol' one finger salute as well.

In other words, completely hilarious.

e; even if I'm wrong this is what I choose to believe they were doing

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lilbeefer posted:

But with finger at their 6.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm pretty sure it meant that the Dart pilot and backseat guy were both mooning the F-16s while giving them the ol' one finger salute as well.

In other words, completely hilarious.

e; even if I'm wrong this is what I choose to believe they were doing

Awesome. The story led me to read up on the 106 on wikipedia and i saw this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber

Wikipedia posted:

Shortly thereafter, the local sheriff arrived at the scene of the crash, and was surprised when he observed the aircraft – the heat of the crash landing, combined with the exhaust from the still-idling jet engine, melted the snow which allowed the aircraft to start to move. Having contacted the air base, he was informed that he should simply allow the jet to run out of fuel, which occurred an hour and forty-five minutes later without further incident.

After ejecting due to a unrecoverable flat spin, the resulting shift in balance led to the plane's self-recovery. It landed gently in a snow covered cornfield, with idled power.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Lilbeefer posted:

Awesome. The story led me to read up on the 106 on wikipedia and i saw this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber

After ejecting due to a unrecoverable flat spin, the resulting shift in balance led to the plane's self-recovery. It landed gently in a snow covered cornfield, with idled power.

Aside from the obvious, my other favorite takeaway from that story is:

B-b-b-b-b-but, it wasn't a bomber! And it wasn't a cornfield! :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Lilbeefer posted:

ever since top gun came out, aviators of every branch have tried to come up with a way to outgay the volleyball scene

jabbing a middle finger upward between two asscheeks is the best thing theyve found yet

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm having trouble visualising the Barn Door manoeuvre. Does anyone have any links about that?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Psion posted:

This is one of my favorite stories ever. And having gone back and read it it just gets better after the "Splash two, Genie" call

simplefish posted:

I'm having trouble visualising the Barn Door manoeuvre. Does anyone have any links about that?

Watch Top Gun

Seriously, it's basically that. Dude basically put the Dart in a high G turn and used some non-standard control inputs, "hit the brakes" metaphorically and aerodynamically speaking (the plane twisted in an abnormal fashion because he applied opposite rudder while in a high-G coordinated turn so he was basically presenting his entire delta planform to the airstream), and the F-16 flew right on by.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The 'female student' is my neighbor, currently paralyzed from the waist down and still in the hospital in Honolulu:

http://khon2.com/2015/04/15/pilot-in-hilo-plane-crash-was-instructing-students/

quote:

A source familiar with the plane crash that occurred Tuesday at Hilo International Airport told KHON2 that the pilot was acting as a flight instructor and had two student pilots with him.

The pilot and the female student pilot were flown Tuesday night to the trauma center at Queen’s Medical Center.

The male student pilot is in stable condition at Hilo Medical Center. He is expected to talk to reporters on Thursday for the first time about the incident.

A spokesman for the state Department of Transportation says the pilot of the Cessna 172M was executing touch-and-go maneuvers at the airport when the plane crashed shortly before two o’clock Tuesday afternoon.

The names of all three have not yet been released.

While the National Transportation Safety Board is the lead agency looking into the cause of the accident, a team with the Federal Aviation Administration is in Hilo to conduct the field investigation.

The plane belongs to Barlow Aviation LLC. The company was once listed with the state Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, but is no longer registered with the state.

An aviation expert says the Cessna 172M is a relatively safe plane.

“The Cessna 172 is considered quite a safe airplane,” said Peter Forman. “It’s very popular in flight schools and is used quite extensively.”

Forman went on to say that the Cessna is an airplane “with a relatively slow take-off and landing, and that slow speed aids in the safety of the airplane. It’s a great workhorse of a plane.”

In the past, Cessnas were involved in four incidents, three of which resulted in fatal crashes.

In 2008, three people died after their Cessna crashed into the side of a mountain on the island of Hawaii.
In 1992, three Air Force personnel died after their Cessna crashed into the Koolau Mountain range above Laie.
In 1977, four people died when their Cessna crashed near Lahaina, Maui.

It sounds like the engine filed on takeoff and the instructor tried to make a hard banking turn to get back to the runway.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Augh. Don't go for the impossible turn.

I hope she recovers use of her legs.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Advent Horizon posted:

The 'female student' is my neighbor, currently paralyzed from the waist down and still in the hospital in Honolulu:

http://khon2.com/2015/04/15/pilot-in-hilo-plane-crash-was-instructing-students/

It sounds like the engine filed on takeoff and the instructor tried to make a hard banking turn to get back to the runway.

Don't try and do precisely that was one of the first things I learnt about taking off when I was taking lessons. That said, there may not have been anywhere available to land.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

From looking at Google Maps. assuming Runway 8 was being used. Runway 26 looks like it has a golf course and various parks as options as well as a presumably shallow water ditching option along or close to the extended centerline. With runway 8 it's trees until you get to the scrub around the VOR and it looks like it might have been trees or impossible turn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stalling into tree branches is possibly preferable to spinning into the ground.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Stalling into tree branches is possibly preferable to spinning into the ground.

Right, but both sucky options and might inspire someone who should know better that "I think I have enough altitude...."

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
regardless, you have the time and energy for one option with nearly zero time to consider all possible options. yeah a lot of it comes to good time critical thinking but a lot of it comes down to luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The only clear area off of Runway 8 is the right of way for a power line.

iyaayas01 posted:

Watch Top Gun

Seriously, it's basically that. Dude basically put the Dart in a high G turn and used some non-standard control inputs, "hit the brakes" metaphorically and aerodynamically speaking (the plane twisted in an abnormal fashion because he applied opposite rudder while in a high-G coordinated turn so he was basically presenting his entire delta planform to the airstream), and the F-16 flew right on by.

Isn't that normally a really bad idea?

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 28, 2015