Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So I finally ordered a TV I feel content with. Anything I need to look out for on my new Bravia KDL50-W805 re panel issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

the panacea posted:

So I finally ordered a TV I feel content with. Anything I need to look out for on my new Bravia KDL50-W805 re panel issues?

Maybe black and gray uniformity.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

CountOfNowhere posted:

I am going to order this tonight when my direct deposit drops

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-multi/7870004.p?id=1219298196643&skuId=7870004

Will I regret it? It'll be used for games and some tv/movies.

Followup: This thing is awesome. I tried a 55" Samsung E6300 and this blows it out of the water as far as response time is concerned. Picture quality seems amazing. No regrets! Also, 50" is plenty big...

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Hello all, I'm thinking of upgrading from my 42 inch LCD LG TV to one of two Sony 55 inch models, either the KDL55W829B priced at £699 here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL55W...ords=55+inch+tv or the KDL55W955BBU priced at £799 here http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...-pdt.html#cat-0

It's going to be used for playing PS4 games and watching streamed media, I believe they are both decent models but I personally don't know what the difference between the two is, and why one is £100 more than the other. Any advice?

e: After a bit of thinking I'm actually considering getting the 60 inch Sony KDL60W855BBU here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL60W...=55+inch+tv#Ask any reason not to?

Bad Parenting fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the panacea posted:

You should turn it on and see if you're happy with what you see and not dig around trying to find stuff you don't like.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any specific specs out for the new Vizio M-Series? How is it compared to the P-Series?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tab8715 posted:

Are there any specific specs out for the new Vizio M-Series? How is it compared to the P-Series?

Looks like rtings has some info on it now. The main differences are that the 2015 M-Series does a better job at upscaling 1080p content than the 2014 P-Series but the 2014 P-Series has more local dimming zones than the 2015 M-Series.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/vizio/m-series-2015

edit 2: Doesn't do as good of a job as the 2014 P-Series at upscaling 480p or 720p (they had to raise sharpness to 25 to stop it from being blurry) and there's a firmware bug with the 2015 M-Series that keeps the soap opera effect on when you set it at 0. They would have to move it to 1 first and then back down to 0 to fix it.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E600I-B3B-60-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-HDTV-Refurbished/37347723

Hrm I probably should have asked before I submitted my order...

.... but what is the Vizio e600i-B3B and how does it differ from a e600i-B3?

What does one extra B mean?

:ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bad

It means this is a cheaper Walmart exclusive model. It could have a different panel or less features or both.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Well I understand that but I wonder about the specifics.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Insane Totoro posted:

Well I understand that but I wonder about the specifics.

Pull them both up side by side and look.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Well in the item description it actually says the normal item number...

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I just got an hdtv hand me down from a friend, and hooked up my PS4. I notice the black colors have a lot of green/yellow flickering in them, that moves with the picture. Any idea how to solve this?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Get a new TV?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Is there a recommended sound bar for small living rooms?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Ended up picking up the Samsung 55H7000 for AUD $1650 at Costco. It's a very nice panel and the Netflix interface is okay. It's a pity about the lack of SMB support though.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Would you guys return a TV with a cluster of dead pixels or just deal with it?

This is a 50" Samsung LED TV that I got off of Amazon and the first one arrived last Friday with a dent in the back panel that caused a ripple effect that was very noticeable so I obviously returned that and had them send out a new set.

New one got here today and I immediately noticed a cluster of dead pixels.

Pic:

http://imgur.com/N8I03uw

It's on the bottom right corner of the screen and not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it but I also just spent a decent amount of money on this TV so I'm kind of annoyed.

I don't really want to go through the hassle of making time to be at home so I can receive the delivery for the third time, plus packing up and dropping off this second TV at the UPS store. What do you all think?

ironlung fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 22, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amazon should be able to pick the tv up at your house.

Do they sell the tv at bestbuy? send this one back and pm at bestbuy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ironlung posted:

Would you guys return a TV with a cluster of dead pixels or just deal with it?

This is a 50" Samsung LED TV that I got off of Amazon and the first one arrived last Friday with a dent in the back panel that caused a ripple effect that was very noticeable so I obviously returned that and had them send out a new set.

New one got here today and I immediately noticed a cluster of dead pixels.

Pic:

http://imgur.com/N8I03uw

It's on the bottom right corner of the screen and not noticeable unless you're specifically looking for it but I also just spent a decent amount of money on this TV so I'm kind of annoyed.

I don't really want to go through the hassle of making time to be at home so I can receive the delivery for the third time, plus packing up and dropping off this second TV at the UPS store. What do you all think?

Definitely, make use of that Amazon return, don't loving settle.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ahmeni posted:

Ended up picking up the Samsung 55H7000 for AUD $1650 at Costco. It's a very nice panel and the Netflix interface is okay. It's a pity about the lack of SMB support though.

I picked up the same TV as well, but for $1500. I use TVersity to share my content to it

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Definitely, make use of that Amazon return, don't loving settle.

and now it's out of stock, maybe they saved the crappy ones for last. what a pain.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 22, 2015

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

So I have a 55-inch Vizio P-series that I bought in February and I recently had an issue where I would get flickering white lines on the right side of the screen, and within a day of seeing them the first time the entire right side looked similar to like that tv static/snow on an old school analog tv when there's no signal. It seemed weird to me because it was only on the right half of the screen, and it was exactly half of the screen that was like this. I contacted Vizio support and after trying to troubleshoot, they're going to be sending a new one/taking the old one early next week. I'm curious though if anyone knows what that issue is or what may have caused it? I'd really like to know for my own edification, and also if it happens again when the tv is out of warranty. I didn't find anything when trying to google it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
So I got one of those refurb Vizio 60 inch E-series TVs from Walmart for $549 (also bought a warranty).

I was very pleased with my purchase.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-E600I-B3B-60-1080p-120Hz-Class-LED-HDTV-Refurbished/37347723

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know when the next big sales on TV will be? I'm hoping to pick up a new TV soon, but not sure when the best time to buy this time of year is. Memorial day? 4th of July?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

There are sales literally every day on tv's

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Question: My new sound bar is literally one or two inches too high, thus it blocks a little bit of the screen. What's a good way to raise the height of the TV? Does someone sell risers that would fit on a TV stand to support the weight of a 60" TV? Maybe something off the shelf or DIY from a home improvement store?

I had the idea of buying a piece of a thick counter section or wood section and then just making my own riser. But I wouldn't be against some kind of premade product?

Comedy option: Put it on top of an old Xbox 360.

HappyHelmet posted:

Anyone know when the next big sales on TV will be? I'm hoping to pick up a new TV soon, but not sure when the best time to buy this time of year is. Memorial day? 4th of July?

I have been told that as long as you're not buying right before they roll out a new year's worth of models (usually in March it seems?) that you're going to find a deal. There's always a deal. But that it would make sense to take advantage of the price drops on the old models as the new models come out. And that the bigger question is "What size and type of TV do you need? And what is it for?" And then you find a TV model that matches those needs (distance from TV? Gaming? Movies?), set up notifications for those items in all the stores and deal sites and then wait for something that pops up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wall mount both of them, wall mount the soundbar, or float the soundbar over the tv with soundbar vesa brackets

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-Universal-Soundbar-Bracket/dp/B00823170Y

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Wall mounting is not a possibility according to my wife.

Though that would have been my first suggestion

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Insane Totoro posted:

Wall mounting is not a possibility according to my wife.

Though that would have been my first suggestion

Buy the brackets and float it over the tv then?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HappyHelmet posted:

The best day to buy was 4/21 or 4/22 when Fry's did their 55" OLED from LG for $1500. At that price it is the best value in TVs IMO.

But seriously this is an impossible question to answer, especially if we don't know your budget or what you're looking for. ( I assume its like 95% of needs which are either super cheap or low/mid level samsungs in which case Don Lapre is right)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 25, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Buy the brackets and float it over the tv then?

Haha asking the wife on the aesthetics...

:(

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Where should I go to stay updated on the development of 4K OLED TVs?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Boz0r posted:

Where should I go to stay updated on the development of 4K OLED TVs?

What do you mean? LG is selling them right now.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
More like general news about other brands, and when they get cheap enough to buy. Just a good TV news site.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
Anyone having issues with the Amazon Instant Video app on Samsung tvs? It worked fine previously, now it will constantly buffer every 5-10 seconds. I know its not my internet connection because the app works fine on my PS4.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Boz0r posted:

More like general news about other brands, and when they get cheap enough to buy. Just a good TV news site.

LG is the one developing them with anything close to market. A new OLED TV is going to be picked up by most electronic blogs imo.

AVSforum.com has an OLED forum that isn't the worst thing to read. LCD forum isn't bad either.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
Goons,

My friend is moving and drastically downsizing and needs to get rid of quite a few TVs. Fortunately my wife is looking to get a 32" TV for use while exercising.

The TV is question is a used KDL32BX421. I can find KDL32BX420s selling for $130-$165 on ebay to use as value estimates. I'm guessing the 421 vs 420 is some sort of Walmart or Best Buy specific SKU so they don't have to pricematch, but all the components are the same and these are equivalent. Is that about right?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Im retiring my older 65" plasma. power bill and heat it generates are too much. especially with summer coming. Costco near me has this http://www.vizio.com/p702uib3.html for $1999 after rebate. Talk me out of it. i just want the best and biggest image i can get for under $2k.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 28, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cornjob posted:

Im retiring my older 65" plasma. power bill and heat it generates are too much. especially with summer coming. Costco near me has this http://www.vizio.com/p702uib3.html for $1999 after rebate. Talk me out of it. i just want the best and biggest image i can get for under $2k.

It will probably look worse than your plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Don Lapre posted:

It will probably look worse than your plasma.

thats possible. im guessing the vizio will have a brighter image and perhaps better contrast due to local dimming. im ok with the trade offs, as long as it doesnt look like garbage. i have a DLP front projection system in a dedicated theater for critical viewing.