Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What I don't understand is, how is any of this Angela's fault when, clearly, the issue is supply-chain related? I can understand people being upset, but this isn't even the right person to be mad at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

fordan posted:

Mine was a "black model." 42mm Space Gray Apple Watch Sport with Black Sport Band.

Yeah I'm being improper with the names; I'm figuring when I say "black sport" everyone knows that really means space grey or "black" that it also includes the SS. :)

Either way I'm preparing to wait out the full delay :(

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

roboshit posted:

This is almost as dumb as this one idiot on MacRumors who was hopeful the Watch would have Bluetooth keyboard support for text messaging.

The obvious, perfect solution for typing is a bluetooth enabled Nintendo Power Glove for your other arm. That way you can type some godawful keyboard system with the hand that has your screen so you can view all of the corrections you need to make.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What I don't understand is, how is any of this Angela's fault when, clearly, the issue is supply-chain related? I can understand people being upset, but this isn't even the right person to be mad at!

She is on record saying she wants to make long lines a thing of the past, many customers didn't receive their product on day one, sexism.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gohmak posted:

She is on record saying she wants to make long lines a thing of the past, many customers didn't receive their product on day one, sexism.

But I genuinely don't understand the connection between that and how this is all her fault. Would it have been somehow better for these idiots to have stayed up all night on the eve of the 24th outside of an Apple Store with everyone who wanted a link bracelet or modern buckle just straight up sent home, and everyone else after the tenth person or so given the bountiful option of a white or blue sport band with a 38mm Apple Watch? I just, gah. I WANT TO UNDERSTAND.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

rage-saq posted:

The obvious, perfect solution for typing is a bluetooth enabled Nintendo Power Glove for your other arm. That way you can type some godawful keyboard system with the hand that has your screen so you can view all of the corrections you need to make.

This animator on robot chicken actually had a power glove modded (basically rebuilt) to actually provide a useful wearable computer interface.

http://www.geek.com/games/this-robot-chicken-animator-works-with-a-custom-nes-power-glove-1613837/

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

io_burn posted:

But I genuinely don't understand the connection between that and how this is all her fault. Would it have been somehow better for these idiots to have stayed up all night on the eve of the 24th outside of an Apple Store with everyone who wanted a link bracelet or modern buckle just straight up sent home, and everyone else after the tenth person or so given the bountiful option of a white or blue sport band with a 38mm Apple Watch? I just, gah. I WANT TO UNDERSTAND.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Has anyone figured out how long it takes the watch to 'calibrate' to your stride while paired with a phone? Basically just curious how long it takes before you can go running with just the watch, or also if it needs to be periodically re calibrated by taking a run with your phone in tow.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Angela and Apple made the correct business decision.

There are 36 apple watch models. All individually packaged. Apple had no way to gauge the success of the different models on a new category (for them). If they launched in-store odds are that not enough or too many of each would be available and people would be pissed. (Also who the gently caress as the kind of life where you can stay in a line 2 or 3 days? Are they wasting vacation days on this? (I honestly don't understand people who line up for gadgets) I want toys first too, but if the choice is: go wait in a line for god knows how long or walk in a month later I will walk in a month later. These are not unique limited edition products

This way Apple gets an excellent read on the demand and at the next launch they can forecast better. "Make 5 million black sports and 500 silver with pink bands" Apple is not infallible and cook and co took a cautious approach. Everyone will get a watch eventually. If you are in the "I want it now or not at all" camp you probably just want to show off your shiny new toy. (Which is unfortunately the world we live in)

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 27, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Agreed. The screwup, if any, was in forecasting and manufacturing which seriously constrained the supply of watches on launch day. I don't think Ahrendts had any choice but do what she did and limit sales to online pre-orders.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of whatever meetings they were discussing their original product allocations because I have no idea how you'd even do that with a totally new product lineup with any kind of accuracy beyond "I don't know just make a bunch." Even trying to analyze similar products seems crazy because I don't even know what you'd compare it to because no smart or fitness watch has ever been so aggressive about elbowing its way into a "fashion item" or whatever the appropriate buzzword is.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

just_a_guy posted:

Angela and Apple made The correct business decision.

There are 36 apple watch models. All individually packaged. Apple had no way to gauge the success of the different models on a new category (for them).

Yep. This is absolutely unprecedented in terms of the number of product variations they're selling as retail packages, and they had zero data as to how well they'd sell at Apple scale.

Apple has basically mastered the art of letting demand pull the product rather than stuff a bunch of things out there and hope it sells. You never see Apple just mark down unsold inventory because nobody wants it anymore. Why? Apple's inventory turnover is something close to four days, which is basically unbelievable and something that just about no other company can touch. (that's old data from 2012 I chose because it's alongside other companies, but you can google yourself and find it's just as good if not better now).

So it's better to be conservative initially, learn what color/style combinations sell in what markets, and know that the vast majority of people who would buy an Apple Watch on launch day aren't going to resort to a Moto 360 or a Pebble if they have to wait. The tradeoff is you piss off some knuckledraggers on the MacRumors forums, but again, they're also the least likely ones to switch to Android and buy an Android Wear device out of rage.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

io_burn posted:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of whatever meetings they were discussing their original product allocations because I have no idea how you'd even do that with a totally new product lineup with any kind of accuracy beyond "I don't know just make a bunch." Even trying to analyze similar products seems crazy because I don't even know what you'd compare it to because no smart or fitness watch has ever been so aggressive about elbowing its way into a "fashion item" or whatever the appropriate buzzword is.

The concern is usually making too many, not making too few. Android Wear has pretty much been a bust sales wise (i love the product personally) so they were relying completely on brand/marketing to hit it big.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

kitten smoothie posted:

Apple has basically mastered the art of letting demand pull the product rather than stuff a bunch of things out there and hope it sells. You never see Apple just mark down unsold inventory because nobody wants it anymore. Why? Apple's inventory turnover is something close to four days, which is basically unbelievable and something that just about no other company can touch. (that's old data from 2012 I chose because it's alongside other companies, but you can google yourself and find it's just as good if not

Yup. And if we believe the lore this is all Tim Cook's doing. The man deserves credit for Apple's financial success (which leads to the cash flow needed to spend millions developing products to apple's obsessive level). He reminds me of Ford in the sense that he doesn't need to micromanage everything or be a tech genius. He know to put the right people in the right places (He does have cock-ups by the way like the guy he brought in to manage the apple stores and got kicked out when store managers expressed serious discontent)

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Why not do several other things to reduce the permutations and combinations:

1. Sell watches and bands seperately so they don't need to be neatly packaged off-site but can be put together in store;
2. Overstock the watches in all options (except Edition edition) because who cares they'll sell eventually, make more of the ones in demand for roll-out two;
3. If your favourite band isn't there here's a free black/white one while we get your milanese on order, sorry for the delay enjoy your watch in the meantime;
4. Everyone who bitches on the internet gets a free Edition edition because that's how I DEMAND COMPENSATION works.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 27, 2015

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mr Funkface posted:

Why not do several other things to reduce the permutations and combinations:

1. Sell watches and bands seperately so they don't need to be neatly packaged off-site but can be put together in store;
2. Overstock the watches in all options (except Edition edition) because who cares they'll sell eventually, make more of the ones in demand for roll-out two;

Neither of these is "THE APPLE EXPERIENCE" and would probably never, ever happen.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mr Funkface posted:

Yeah that worked great for the 5C.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah that's all too ghetto for them and the customer experience and doesn't get around the issues for the mail orders. And wastes a lot of money on top of that.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
You're all also acting under the impression that it would be somehow possible for them to have more supply than they currently do, regardless of how the launch was handled. The only thing that would have been effective would be pushing the launch back a month so they could stockpile enough watches to be ready to ship immediately on launch day. It's a supply issue first and foremost.

They didn't underproduce watches for fear that they wouldn't sell, they produced as many as they possibly could in the given time frame.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
There are a lot more elegant ways to handle the Skus, the simplest would be to do the final packaging stateside with the bands. So they ship millions of sport and SS watches bandless to some hub where it is then paired and packed with an ordered band.

Alternatively, they can pre ship complete finished Skus over by April tenth and then do what I described above to fill in the gaps as the orders trend away from forecasts in certain Skus. Boom. Done. Added flexibility with the same "apple elegance" in the packaging.

Let's say even with that they STILL sell out of a specific band, they can always send a follow up email saying they sold out of that specific band, and present alternative bands that they would be able to get out sooner.

At the end of the day it's 4 (8 if you found the black watch bodies which lets ignore for this argument because those are kind of locked into their specific bands anyway) body differences. The band is just an accent add on.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

EpicNemesis posted:

There are a lot more elegant ways to handle the Skus, the simplest would be to do the final packaging stateside with the bands. So they ship millions of sport and SS watches bandless to some hub where it is then paired and packed with an ordered band.

Alternatively, they can pre ship complete finished Skus over by April tenth and then do what I described above to fill in the gaps as the orders trend away from forecasts in certain Skus. Boom. Done. Added flexibility with the same "apple elegance" in the packaging.

Let's say even with that they STILL sell out of a specific band, they can always send a follow up email saying they sold out of that specific band, and present alternative bands that they would be able to get out sooner.

At the end of the day it's 4 (8 if you found the black watch bodies which lets ignore for this argument because those are kind of locked into their specific bands anyway) body differences. The band is just an accent add on.
Except every single body is currently sold. There are no more bodies to go around. It's a supply issue, not a logistics one.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Except every single body is currently sold. There are no more bodies to go around. It's a supply issue, not a logistics one.

Yea but the guy who ordered the sports band watch with the shipping estimate of June who has his watch now whereas the guy (me) who had the classic buckle with a shipping estimate of 24th-8th still hasn't had it shipped. That's logistics.

It doesn't matter to me because I live abroad and I'm not getting mine realistically until June regardless. (I have to wait until someone can bring it with them from the states.)

I'm not saying supply isn't an issue because it is the main issue, but the lovely logistics is exacerbating things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Laughing at goons thinking they can solve Apple's supply chain logistics.

You're right folks, there was a simple solution that would allow everyone to have their watch on launch day but Apple apparently doesn't employ anyone smart enough to figure it out.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

EpicNemesis posted:

It's always very interesting when people on the internet have operations-related suggestions for the company that is well known to have the most efficient operations pipeline in the world.

If any other company had tried to do anything on the scale of the Apple Watch launch in terms of SKUs, manufacturing differences, level of build quality, # of countries shipping, etc it wouldn't have looked nearly as smooth.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can you send the creepy apple watch emojis to iPhone users? Or just other watch users?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Walked posted:

Can you send the creepy apple watch emojis to iPhone users? Or just other watch users?

You can send them to anyone who uses iMessage on any device.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

shodanjr_gr posted:

If any other company had tried to do anything on the scale of the Apple Watch launch in terms of SKUs, manufacturing differences, level of build quality, # of countries shipping, etc it wouldn't have looked nearly as smooth.

except you know the companies that build and ship apple products.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Laughing at goons thinking they can solve Apple's supply chain logistics.

You're right folks, there was a simple solution that would allow everyone to have their watch on launch day but Apple apparently doesn't employ anyone smart enough to figure it out.

I love watching the peasants doubt the true Innovators of apple, masters of #disruption. We all know that Apple is Great. If Apple seems to have failed us, it is only because there was no way to succeed. Truly, we live in the best of all possible worlds!

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

EpicNemesis posted:

Yea but the guy who ordered the sports band watch with the shipping estimate of June who has his watch now whereas the guy (me) who had the classic buckle with a shipping estimate of 24th-8th still hasn't had it shipped. That's logistics.

It doesn't matter to me because I live abroad and I'm not getting mine realistically until June regardless. (I have to wait until someone can bring it with them from the states.)

I'm not saying supply isn't an issue because it is the main issue, but the lovely logistics is exacerbating things.

But at the end of the day, how much does this matter to Apple? They're selling absolutely every Apple Watch they have, profits are higher than ever, and investors are tripping over themselves to throw more of their money at Apple. This sort of makes the cranky MacRumors forum member calling for irrelevant (for supply problems, anyway) members of the Apple executive team to be fired inconsequential to a point that's so extreme it's hard to put into words.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

blugu64 posted:

except you know the companies that build and ship apple products.

But that's why Apple's operations pipeline is even more impressive. They are coordinating a massive number of suppliers, manufacturers, logistics providers, etc in order to produce a product with a huge number of SKUs and ship it to most major consumer markets simultaneously. This is done with little lead time on orders and still, a good chunk of folks get their Watch on launch day.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

io_burn posted:

But at the end of the day, how much does this matter to Apple? They're selling absolutely every Apple Watch they have, profits are higher than ever, and investors are tripping over themselves to throw more of their money at Apple. This sort of makes the cranky MacRumors forum member calling for irrelevant (for supply problems, anyway) members of the Apple executive team to be fired inconsequential to a point that's so extreme it's hard to put into words.

Yea those guys are batshit and I don't think apple is losing too much sleep over this. I was just simply saying that there is more to the shipping angst people have than just "demand outstripping supply," they screwed up this launch beyond just usual supply constraints.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

io_burn posted:

Why not? The most dedicated few at the front get their watch. Chinese students.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 27, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

gohmak posted:

Why not? The most dedicated few at the front get their watch. Chinese students.

Because the more mainstream a product/service/whatever gets the less the hardcore segment matters as that slice of the pie continues to shrink.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I got my new chip debit card from my bank, which included Apple Pay support. So, of course, I registered the card, registered it with Apple Pay (twice, once for the phone, again for the watch :v:) and went down the street to Whole Foods. Worked great, and now I have Orange Juice :3:.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

shodanjr_gr posted:

But that's why Apple's operations pipeline is even more impressive. They are coordinating a massive number of suppliers, manufacturers, logistics providers, etc in order to produce a product with a huge number of SKUs and ship it to most major consumer markets simultaneously. This is done with little lead time on orders and still, a good chunk of folks get their Watch on launch day.

How much of it is actually apples pipeline, as compared to the fact that everything is already made in a few areas of china by subcontractors that anyone could hire, was my point.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

blugu64 posted:

How much of it is actually apples pipeline, as compared to the fact that everything is already made in a few areas of china by subcontractors that anyone could hire, was my point.

Who cares and shut up.

Anyone else having issues with siri not understanding what you're saying?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Who cares and shut up.

Anyone else having issues with siri not understanding what you're saying?

For like 4 years now.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Drastic Actions posted:

I got my new chip debit card from my bank, which included Apple Pay support. So, of course, I registered the card, registered it with Apple Pay (twice, once for the phone, again for the watch :v:) and went down the street to Whole Foods. Worked great, and now I have Orange Juice :3:.

itym apple juice :colbert:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For like 4 years now.

It's pretty drat unreliable from what I've been seeing. Works much better on the phone for picking up the right words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How much motion does it take to activate the watch? Like can I look at the time on my wrist in a non obvious way in a really boring meeting like I can with a traditional watch out so I have to wave my arm around?

• Locked thread