Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

richardfun posted:

I know this is a high bar to clear, but that might be the most ludicrous idea Bill Kristol has ever had.

Please, God, if you're listening let him have his ideal ticket become a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

VanSandman posted:

Oh a bunch of new posts I wonder what -
oh
oh dear

What's the latest from the authorities in Baltimore anyway?

Curfew 10pm-5am for the week, Nat'l Guard activated, expect robust crackdown to begin today.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

TheQat posted:

Curfew 10pm-5am for the week, Nat'l Guard activated, expect robust crackdown to begin today.

Operation No After-Darkies is a go.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

VanSandman posted:

Oh a bunch of new posts I wonder what -
oh
oh dear

What's the latest from the authorities in Baltimore anyway?

Seriously what the gently caress is going on? I still haven't heard word one about any justification the Baltimore PD has given for Freddie Gray's death.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

edit: multiple discussions can happen at once jesus christ this isn't TVIV

Nintendo Kid posted:

People who are from the far-flung suburbs and exurbs may choose to claim they're from the city, but everyone knows they aren't. Don't give me this self-identification crap. Most people from the St Louis greater metropolitan area probably wouldn't claim to be from St Louis, especially when so many of them continue to actively leave the city or refuse to move back in after their parents/grandparents did. I'm sorry but you're not using any sort of technical definition from actual American geography when you're saying "its ok to say you're in Boston when you're dozens of miles outside even the inner suburbs/subcities".

Cities that actually cross state lines are very rare. Usually it's a situation like Bristol TN/VA or Texarkana TX/AR where it's a moderately sized town split across a land border such that the transition is close to seamless.

No hand waving allowed, why is self identification wrong or bad?

People leave the "city" for many reasons while still identifying as being in the city, because I'd argue they're moving from what they see as one neighborhood to another.

Cities as you define them, sure crossing state lines is rare. Broader definitions are gonna be much more common.

It'll take a minute because I don't know the search terms to use but I'll dig around for a definition, it's an interesting topic so let's see what pops up.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is going on? I still haven't heard word one about any justification the Baltimore PD has given for Freddie Gray's death.

If I had to guess it would probably be "he got what he deserved!" And then maybe the sound of a gun being fired into the air. At this point I'm no longer shocked by cops and their brazen attitudes, just very scared for me and my family.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, is there a solid source out there for news about what's going on, preferably one that isn't just breathlessly reporting whatever the PD says as gospel truth?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

ALL IS WELL. MOVE ALONG, CITIZEN.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sugar free jazz posted:

No hand waving allowed, why is self identification wrong or bad?

People leave the "city" for many reasons while still identifying as being in the city, because I'd argue they're moving from what they see as one neighborhood to another.

Cities as you define them, sure crossing state lines is rare. Broader definitions are gonna be much more common.

Self identification doesn't pay city taxes, and further no one takes you seriously when you live way out of the city all of your life but claim to be from there. Like it's straight up a thing you will get mocked for.

Most people don't see areas 20 miles outside the limits of the innermost suburbs to be the city.

They're not going to be more common, because people understand what cities are, and when they're not in them.

sugar free jazz posted:

It'll take a minute because I don't know the search terms to use but I'll dig around for a definition, it's an interesting topic so let's see what pops up.
Frankly you seem to be really confusing like, the Australian usage of "city" for American usage. Most Australian "cities" have the city proper as tiny, no more than a few miles square central business district with minimal residents, but a measure of unified authority among the many independent towns and "suburbs" that make up the "city". In American usage, such an arrangement is just called a metropolitan area (or if the population's small enough, micropolitan area).

For instance Sydney is considered a city, and is made up of 4775 square miles and 38 "Local Government Areas" (a rough correlation to an incorporated municipality in the US).

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Last I heard the official story is that since he had a switchblade and didn't immediately drop all of his belongings, he had to be shot multiple times until dead. Something something danger to the cops. They're basically that blatant.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 28, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

There's a reason you're kept in the ghetto.

I think you've been doing this so long that you actually think this way now. You might want to watch that.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Nintendo Kid posted:

Self identification doesn't pay city taxes, and further no one takes you seriously when you live way out of the city all of your life but claim to be from there. Like it's straight up a thing you will get mocked for.

Most people don't see areas 20 miles outside the limits of the innermost suburbs to be the city.

They're not going to be more common, because people understand what cities are, and when they're not in them.

Frankly you seem to be really confusing like, the Australian usage of "city" for American usage. Most Australian "cities" have the city proper as tiny, no more than a few miles square central business district with minimal residents, but a measure of unified authority among the many independent towns and "suburbs" that make up the city. In American usage, such an arrangement is just called a metropolitan area (or if the population's small enough, micropolitan area).

Last I heard the official story is that since he had a switchblade he had to be shot multiple times until dead. Something something danger to the cops. They're basically that blatant.

Shut the gently caress up, Donny.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't know if I overlooked it earlier in the thread but the eulogy for Freddie Gray was incredible.

https://youtu.be/E0wePLcqARk

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

mdemone posted:

I think you've been doing this so long that you actually think this way now. You might want to watch that.

Actually I think they should have skipped the whole "protest" bit and gone straight to injuring cops because at this point protests don't make it onto conservative news front pages.

Like someone mentioned earlier, if the white folks are going to treat you like a rabid animal, give them a reason to do so. The last couple centuries have shown that there's not enough patience in the world for waiting for the majority to see the minority as anything other than the lesser.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Baltimore has always been that special blend of big city money corruption and small town ignorance and nepotism corruption but this is loving amazing. Pulling this kind of poo poo in a city that is 80% black isn't just cruel and despicable, it's stupid.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Late last week I heard a quote from a Baltimore PD officer not involved with the incident that it was likely Gray wasn't fastened in when they placed him in the back of the wagon he was taken away in. The officer said it was policy to do so, but that in practice, people often weren't, and were intentionally given a rough ride back to the station. It seems plausible that may be what happened. It's all metal in the back of those things, and with your ankles cuffed and your wrists as well behind your back you'd find it hard to brace or stabilize yourself back there.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ReidRansom posted:

Late last week I heard a quote from a Baltimore PD officer not involved with the incident that it was likely Gray wasn't fastened in when they placed him in the back of the wagon he was taken away in. The officer said it was policy to do so, but that in practice, people often weren't, and were intentionally given a rough ride back to the station. It seems plausible that may be what happened. It's all metal in the back of those things, and with your ankles cuffed and your wrists as well behind your back you'd find it hard to brace or stabilize yourself back there.

Didn't witnesses say he was spasming and having difficulty moving after the altercation though? I heard an officer basically pinned his neck/head with a knee.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ReidRansom posted:

Even with that terrible excuse that would imply they were driving the thing straight out of Fast and Furious 7.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gravel Gravy posted:

Didn't witnesses say he was spasming and having difficulty moving after the altercation though? I heard an officer basically pinned his neck/head with a knee.

That I don't know. I've been a bit busy to keep up with the details of the case.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

weekly font posted:

Even with that terrible excuse that would imply they were driving the thing straight out of Fast and Furious 7.

basically, yeah. And apparently there's a history of injuries there in Baltimore from the practice.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/maryland/2015/04/24/baltimore-has-history-of-police-van-injury-victims/26328739/

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Frankly you seem to be really confusing like, the Australian usage of "city" for American usage. Most Australian "cities" have the city proper as tiny, no more than a few miles square central business district with minimal residents, but a measure of unified authority among the many independent towns and "suburbs" that make up the city. In American usage, such an arrangement is just called a metropolitan area (or if the population's small enough, micropolitan area).

Paying city taxes doesn't define a city. Not to say that it's unimportant, but it's for different reasons. Weird thing about self identification, they don't think they live all their life out of the city. Straight up they don't really get mocked for it.

Like if you want to talk about cities with that definition, that's totally fine. But then what the hell do people mean when they say they live in or are from Houston or Las Angeles?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i hope all of you realize that cities are one of fishmech's sperg triggers and he will stubbornly defend his position to the death no matter how stupid it is

ReidRansom posted:

it's funny that the least damning scenario the baltimore PD can put forward is that they arrested a guy for simply running away when a cop looked at him, who had no contraband on him and wasn't committing a crime, and he was placed in the back of a vehicle that was driven so violently that his spine was crushed

that is the rosiest factual scenario that they can present right now. oh but please don't riot, violence never solved anything :rolleyes:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

That I don't know. I've been a bit busy to keep up with the details of the case.
The police's official statement at this time is “We know our police employees failed to get him medical attention in a timely manner multiple times.” Beyond that, it's unclear exactly what exactly went down, who knew what when, etc. It seems the van stopped three times before getting to the station, with officers directly interacting with Gray at least twice. Also worth noting Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said that Gray should have received medical treatment at the scene of his arrest before being placed inside the van.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/04/baltimore_cops_freddie_gray_death.html

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i hope all of you realize that cities are one of fishmech's sperg triggers and he will stubbornly defend his position to the death no matter how stupid it is

it's funny that the least damning scenario the baltimore PD can put forward is that they arrested a guy for simply running away when a cop looked at him, who had no contraband on him and wasn't committing a crime, and he was placed in the back of a vehicle that was driven so violently that his spine was crushed

that is the rosiest factual scenario that they can present right now. oh but please don't riot, violence never solved anything :rolleyes:

Murdering a guy by shaking him to death in a metal box is still murder, though. "We didn't mean to kill him, just rough him up a bit" isn't going to cut it, and I don't think they go with it for their official explanation, but it seems likely that's what happened.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's some impressive passive voice. Somehow his neck broke after we apprehended him, we're not sure how but it certainly couldn't have been our fault.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

That's some impressive passive voice. Somehow his neck broke after we apprehended him, we're not sure how but it certainly couldn't have been our fault.

it's neat that after a week of peaceful protests, the police issue statements, during the funeral, declaring that the gangs and the teens are both going to commit mass violence when during that entire week the same police couldn't quite figure out how a man's spine got crushed while he was in a police van equipped with recording devices

it's like the baltimore pd are playing the "aww shucks we're just lovably incompetent" card

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The city has paid out millions in multiple lawsuits over injuries from this exact thing, and yet it keeps happening. And of course none of the officers involved in previous incidents faced any disciplinary action.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-gray-rough-rides-20150423-story.html#page=1

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I heard people were arguing about cities??

I think you should be able to call yourself as a member of a city if you live are under one of the metropolitan joint administrations, like SEPTA.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

it's neat that after a week of peaceful protests, the police issue statements, during the funeral, declaring that the gangs and the teens are both going to commit mass violence when during that entire week the same police couldn't quite figure out how a man's spine got crushed while he was in a police van equipped with recording devices

it's like the baltimore pd are playing the "aww shucks we're just lovably incompetent" card
At least it wasn't a white man

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Amergin posted:

EDIT: But seriously, as soon as looting happens you kill any progress you've tried to make with regards to race relations. Good luck ever garnering sympathy when as soon as one of your own dies you respond by looting 7-Elevens. There's a reason you're kept in the ghetto.

Okay okay thanks, but dial it back a notch drat

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It works wonders for corrupt prosecutors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they close all the stores and you need food and supplies what are you supposed to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its worked for all the other Departments :shrug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

If they close all the stores and you need food and supplies what are you supposed to do.

Easy you just need to "find" food.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-jones/black-people-loot-food-wh_b_6614.html

Of course only white people "find" food. It's weird like that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

obviously the free market would flourish in this situation with entrepeneurs, barter economy, etc. but the locals are too dependent on government handouts to realize the solution is in the palm of their hand

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh god it was Amerign I was responding too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sugar free jazz posted:

Paying city taxes doesn't define a city. Not to say that it's unimportant, but it's for different reasons. Weird thing about self identification, they don't think they live all their life out of the city. Straight up they don't really get mocked for it.

Like if you want to talk about cities with that definition, that's totally fine. But then what the hell do people mean when they say they live in or are from Houston or Las Angeles?

No, they really, really do in American law and geography. I don't care that someone who lives dozens of miles away and never even visits thinks they're from the city, everyone knows they aren't. It's like trying to brag about how you can totally lift 400 pounds, just not today because you're sick or other such boasts.

Houston's a huge rear end city with huge city limits. Same thing goes with LA. Most of the people from the independent cities/town bordering or sometimes enclaved within them will make a point to say they're from that specific place if you ask where they're from. For example, Spring Valley, TX people are often real snooty about being from there, even though they're just a former suburb that managed to resist the annexations that nor totally surround it. Same goes for LA: people from Beverly Hills let you know they're from Beverly Hills.

Like again, you seem to be trying to conflate cities with metro areas in a way American people don't usually do. But you're doing it in a way that matches up very well with how Australians use "city".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

Oh god it was Amerign I was responding too.

Oh poo poo by extension me too. :ohdear:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Baltimore metro area overlaps with the DC Metro area. Also, Baltimore is on the coast and is a civilized place that people care about. St. Louis is in the middle of flyover country. A segregated portion of St. Louis is "whocaresville". It isn't about the size, it is about media impact.

While Baltimore is pretty far south, it is also north enough as to be "one of the good ones" that "isn't supposed to be racist". If this happened in Charlotte, people would tut-tut but say, "That is the South for you. Good thing we aren't racist here". Ditto with flyover country. Do they even have black people in flyover country and if they do, well of course they are racist. What do you expect? But a place next to DC where serious people live? There can't be racism there!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Murdering a guy by shaking him to death in a metal box is still murder, though. "We didn't mean to kill him, just rough him up a bit" isn't going to cut it, and I don't think they go with it for their official explanation, but it seems likely that's what happened.

Well it is a different type of murder from murder 1 at least, no idea what it'd be in this circumstance. It could be as little as involuntary manslaughter if they can convince the jury the cops were just idiots that didn't buckle him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People don't kill people, metal deathboxes kill people.

• Locked thread