Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm watching natural born killers for the first time. What an odd movie.

I still think it's Oliver Stone's best movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm watching Noah and it's insane and I think I kinda love it...?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm watching natural born killers for the first time. What an odd movie.

It made more sense in the 90s.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seeing Natural Born Killers in the theater on acid with my best friend was the defining moment of the 90s for me

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still think it's Oliver Stone's best movie.

I'm not really well-versed in Stone's filmography, but NBK is the only one I've seen that I actually care for.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

Seeing Natural Born Killers in the theater on acid with my best friend was the defining moment of the 90s for me

I've only done acid once and I managed to watch An American Tail and Mystery Men. They were good choices.

Then I stayed awake the rest of the night with my friends writing poetry and listening to IDM music. Like ya do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm not really well-versed in Stone's filmography, but NBK is the only one I've seen that I actually care for.

JFK, Salvador, Any Given Sunday, Wall Street, all good to great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
W. is also pretty good and way weirder in tone and style than one might imagine. It basically takes the idea that George W. Bush's life story is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington gone wrong and runs with it.

(It's also streaming.)

edit: There's even a shout-out in one scene to The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

JFK, Salvador, Any Given Sunday, Wall Street, all good to great.

JFK was so many levels of batshit insane fun.

And Platoon was incredible.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Oliver Stone should just post here since apparently he's gone in detail explaining to a critic why Battleship is a better war movie then Pacific Rim

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

National treasure Kevin Bacon lays down the truth bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfZgrPbpAA

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yaws posted:

I'm watching Noah and it's insane and I think I kinda love it...?

I watched it last week after someone here brought it up, and I thought it was all right because of its weirdness. This is after having no interest in seeing it at all, ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

W. is also pretty good and way weirder in tone and style than one might imagine. It basically takes the idea that George W. Bush's life story is Mr. Smith Goes to Washington gone wrong and runs with it.

(It's also streaming.)

edit: There's even a shout-out in one scene to The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

I'll back this up, W. is a lot better than I expected it to be.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The House October Built is so dumb. It's pretty entertaining if you can stand the garbage the Paranormal activity people are releasing, but the ending is so anticlimactic I was kind of in shock when the credits rolled.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Ironclad was a decent medieval action flick. Lots of great actors hamming it up like Paul Giamatti and Brian Cox. Plus the choreography and fight scenes are pretty good. If you're into that kind of thing you won't be too disappointed. If you're a historical accuracy pedant then avoid at all costs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

that movie's kinda dumb but it has a very cool castle siege scene.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm not a huge fan of VGHS, but the third season has some great camera work - including a pretty charming homage to Lawrence of Arabia. The third season is probably the best so far that I've seen.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The World Made Straight is a tad undercooked, but it's quite good.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NESguerilla posted:

The House October Built is so dumb. It's pretty entertaining if you can stand the garbage the Paranormal activity people are releasing, but the ending is so anticlimactic I was kind of in shock when the credits rolled.
Oh Christ it was poo poo. It could have been so much gooder in so many ways. Yes. Gooder.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've seen They Came Together on the Netflix front page for a few weeks and completely looked past it because I've never even heard of it before and it looked like an actual generic romantic comedy but god drat is it funny.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

drunken officeparty posted:

I've seen They Came Together on the Netflix front page for a few weeks and completely looked past it because I've never even heard of it before and it looked like an actual generic romantic comedy but god drat is it funny.

Yeah, I enjoyed it a bit. A lot more than I enjoyed After the Dark, which starts interesting and ends as poorly as a Kirk Cameron flick.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Christopher Meloni steals this movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Ironclad was a decent medieval action flick. Lots of great actors hamming it up like Paul Giamatti and Brian Cox. Plus the choreography and fight scenes are pretty good. If you're into that kind of thing you won't be too disappointed. If you're a historical accuracy pedant then avoid at all costs.

I thought the first one was okay but have you seen the sequel? I've not watched it

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Has anyone mentioned Chef's Table yet? Really interesting if you like fancy food you'll almost certainly never get to eat.

Chefs are nutters.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

(It's also streaming.)

Thandie Newton's Condoleezza Rice performance is just the weirdest thing.

Jigglesby
Jan 16, 2015

Young Ones was pretty good. I just like Michael Shannon for some reason so it was going to get a pass based on that alone.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Has anyone mentioned Chef's Table yet? Really interesting if you like fancy food you'll almost certainly never get to eat.

Chefs are nutters.

Watched the first one and it's pretty solid. Good story, good production.
Also has a (perhaps unintentional) illustration of a typical food critic that appears to be quite the way up her own behind.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hemale in pain posted:

I thought the first one was okay but have you seen the sequel? I've not watched it

I have not seen the sequel and I doubt I ever will. For starters, it is an entirely different cast and it doesn't even involve the same themes the first one did. The first one is about the loving Magna Carta and mainly focuses on Purefoy's templar character and his struggle with his vows. There is something going on with Christianity vs. pagan religions, but it was so poorly fleshed out that I don't see how it could be carried on in a sequel which, according to wiki, is about Picts vs. Angles.

Also :laffo: at the box office sales. (yes, of course ticket sales don't determine quality, but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fed Up is awesome. I'm usually wary of docs like this because a lot of them are stupid, but I thought it was really solid.

Also watched a bit of the Chris D'Elia special. I've never heard of him, but the guy is unfunny as poo poo. Terrible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

Also watched a bit of the Chris D'Elia special. I've never heard of him, but the guy is unfunny as poo poo. Terrible.
It sucks because he's been really funny in other stuff, including his stand-up special that airs on Comedy Central from time to time, but the new stand-up special is so unfunny that it quite literally put me to sleep like 3/4 of the way through it. It was loving garbage and that blows because I'd been looking forward to it since he announced it a while ago.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Chichevache posted:

Also :laffo: at the box office sales. (yes, of course ticket sales don't determine quality, but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit)

Making any money at all in a country that doesn't exist seems like a pretty impressive achievement to me.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Love Me is a fascinating documentary about Russian Brides (avail on Netflix)

It follows a US matchmaking company and four or five of its clients; and holy poo poo. I never thought I'd watch something like that. You should check it out.

I'm still not sure if the title pertains to the clients or the brides. Both, I suppose.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Watched a few movies yesterday, starting with The Babadook. As others have said, it's a solid horror movie but I felt it was a little overhyped. I think my main gripe about it is that it was too heavy handed in it's allegory. It was obviously about dealing with grief, and once you get that part, the Babadook itself ceased to be a real source of horror or even tension. And the "defeat" of the monster by merely screaming at it was anticlimactic. This was of course ameliorated a bit by the great art direction, visuals, and acting. I really, really want that pop up book.

Also watched They Came Together. Netflix called it a "semi" parody of rom-coms but there is nothing "semi" about it. Funny, wacky, absurd. My wife and I had had a few glasses of wine before watching it so it was probably funnier than it really is. But if you're looking for a stupid comedy for a date or a lazy evening it's a solid bet.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 28, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's also about the ugly feelings you're not supposed to have about your children.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Jack Gladney posted:

It's also about the ugly feelings you're not supposed to have about your children.

Pretty much. Obviously grief is a really crucial component of the film's themes, but the ambiguous line between repressed feelings of hatred and actual neglect/abuse seemed like the more prominent feature of the story.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

magnificent7 posted:

And Platoon was incredible.

My Oliver Stone movies (director wise) worth seeing:

Platoon - I remember seeing this in theater, and some guy getting up to go to the lobby for the rest of the movie. My parents found out later in the lobby that the guy was a Vietnam Vet, and the movie hit way too close to home. It is not only Stone's best, but one of the greatest war movies ever.
Wall Street
NBK
JFK
Talk Radio
Born on the 4th July (my thought at the time was wow I guess Tom Cruise can act)
Any Given Sunday
The Doors (not great but worth watching if you like the group and read the book No One Here Gets Out Alive)

I also found W to be decent. Other ones like U-Turn and Savages are movies that are just fine playing in the background while you do something else.

LogisticEarth posted:

Also watched They Came Together. Netflix called it a "semi" parody of rom-coms but there is nothing "semi" about it. Funny, wacky, absurd. My wife and I had had a few glasses of wine before watching it so it was probably funnier than it really is. But if you're looking for a stupid comedy for a date or a lazy evening it's a solid bet.

My wife and I also watched it this weekend. While I prefer absurd humor, I found most of the movie almost as bland as a normal rom-com. While I found certain parts absurd and very funny (mainly his visit to her parents house, and the visit to his grandmother), the rest was never that fun to me. I think the tone of the movie never felt quite right to me. Shame I really wanted to like it.

So the same guy who did this, did American Hot Summer? I haven't seen it, but is it more a satire or parody or just absurd (like Eastbound & Down for example)? I was wondering if it would be something I like (some of the comedies I like are Parks & Rec, Eastbound & Down, early Office, Silicon Valley, Community)

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 28, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't know Stone directed Talk Radio, that's a fantastic film. Wall Street is also amazing. Never watch Wall Street 2, not even for curiosity's sake.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i haaaaate the movie version of Talk Radio. Play's great, though.

Platoon is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
List needs more Salvador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

nate fisher posted:

So the same guy who did this, did American Hot Summer? I haven't seen it, but is it more a satire or parody or just absurd (like Eastbound & Down for example)? I was wondering if it would be something I like (some of the comedies I like are Parks & Rec, Eastbound & Down, early Office, Silicon Valley, Community)
Same thing as They Came Together, if you liked that movie in spots, you'll probably like Summer in spots.