Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm actually on my second playthrough of the game. I should clarify that I meant single player, I don't think any of that stuff like paying Lester is available there, only online. It is easier now to lose the cops than it was for me the first time around, but I just don't find it fun and sometimes bad cop spawns will make a chase take too loving long no matter what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Upon talking with Silver Falcon, I've come to realize that quite a few missions of Saints Row IV has a few problems with them in co-op. There most common is when the game decides it wants to load the mission forever and will never actually load, so both players have to forcefully quit the game and restart the multiplayer session. Sometimes the game doesn't load player 2's stuff properly, like when you save Johnny Gat and have to rescue him from the Zin ship in power armor. The first time I tried it in co-op, my suit didn't spawn in so I was stuck on the outside of the ship because I couldn't actually jump high enough to move on. My buddy finished the mission, but the game couldn't go on to the ending cutscene because it was stuck on a loading screen forever since I guess the mission loaded in wrong or something. One of the worst problems though has to be the part in the final mission where you have to skydive to a blast door, then open the door to progress. Player 1 can skydive properly, but player 2 doesn't and they just free fall and immediately go splat upon touchdown. In this section, if anyone dies, it's instant game over. It's possible to make it through in co-op, I've done it twice, but gently caress if I know how to get the game to give Player 2 the proper skydiving thing. The Zinyak fight sucks too. He hits like a truck and he's a bullet laser sponge and he puts the fight on hold for a bit in the middle for a section where you have to deal with his shield and then the game pretty much becomes a bullet hell.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Hey Ryoko, that's not fair. It wasn't 'git gud' it was 'Consoles suck, amirite'. Which I guess is the original 'git gud*'

*hardware

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

They don't do a very good job of explaining it but there are actually two ways the cops are chasing you. If your icon on the minimap is white that means the cops know what you look like/what you're driving and will pretty much home in on you. If it is gray that means they're looking but don't know who you are. If you're quick about it you can actually drive right by a cop in search mode if you're gray, although they can still spot you and switch to white if you get too close.
That feature is only in Single Player along with the Hiding in Foliage mechanic.
The best ways to deal with it in Online is it either just die/kill yourself, remove a mask, pay Lester hide underground in the train/subway tunnels, or crazily enough, behind your own car wedged into a corner.
For real, wedge your car into a corner, climb over the car and hide in the corner so they can't make line-of-sight. Works better with boxy/tall cars (The Huntley and the armoured heist car work good). If you can park under an awning you can even block Police Chopper LoS. It's also funny watching all the cops telepathically rush your location in droves but the dozen of them never think to look behind the fluro-pink SUV riddled with bullet holes in the corner :cop:

The choppers though, that's the poo poo that makes hell. Just bullshit spawning them in almost right on top of you. The city you can handwave it, but in the middle of no-where?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Its really my mistake for making my getaway in a 200mph straight line through the dunes, but man is it annoying when a chopper spawns in the air directly ahead of me. :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lap-Lem posted:

Hey Ryoko, that's not fair. It wasn't 'git gud' it was 'Consoles suck, amirite'. Which I guess is the original 'git gud*'

*hardware

Consoles are weaker than high-end PCs and could have issues with rendering lots of objects in far distances.

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because I've never seen a car pop-in once. On weaker hardware or on console that would make sense.

But of course you know that, you're just playing stupid. :v:

Mister Adequate posted:

I've never seen cops spawn on-screen either

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GTA5 is a console game. You don't actually think Rockstar bothered to change anything about the spawn logic for the port, do you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aphrodite posted:

GTA5 is a console game. You don't actually think Rockstar bothered to change anything about the spawn logic for the port, do you?

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never even seen a car spawn on screen, much less a cop car. Sounds like its not spawning so much as your computer isn't rendering it until its too late for you to respond to.

:doh:

You know there's settings in the game you can change on PC for how much traffic to render and how far to draw objects and poo poo like that, right?

Nah its a console game and R* would never change anything when going from console to PC.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

HaB posted:

I dunno. Since that game occurs LONG before the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings - I'm not sure why you thought the Black Hand would die, since that would basically be a complete retcon of the entire Tolkien universe.

I thought Talion was going to die. Since, you know, death is his entire motivation. Shame on me for expecting a AAA game in TYOOL 2015 to tell a self-contained story I suppose. How can you start a franchise if the first game has a story that's actually satisfying?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:doh:

You know there's settings in the game you can change on PC for how much traffic to render and how far to draw objects and poo poo like that, right?

Nah its a console game and R* would never change anything when going from console to PC.

Police aren't traffic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blitzball. I really want to like it but it just doesn't make sense. Sometimes an EN of 8 will lose to an AT 6 other times it doesn't. Just now my AT 10 guy didn't get the ball from an EN 10 guy and he's still at 5 EN left. Whatever game. I don't want to make wakka better anyway.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Aphrodite posted:

Police aren't traffic.

They are, however "objects and poo poo like that". I think that's the programming term for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not really, they're active NPCs once you have stars.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Len posted:

Blitzball. I really want to like it but it just doesn't make sense. Sometimes an EN of 8 will lose to an AT 6 other times it doesn't. Just now my AT 10 guy didn't get the ball from an EN 10 guy and he's still at 5 EN left. Whatever game. I don't want to make wakka better anyway.

There's a random element to the checks, simple as that. Makes it a little more interesting.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Catpain Slack posted:

There's a random element to the checks, simple as that. Makes it a little more interesting.

Yep, and it pretty much forces you to be on the lookout for techs for your players. The early blitzball games are a chore, but once you start picking up techs, it gets better. Nap Shot in particular owns bones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've opted to just take the route of :effort: I've been scoring a goal and then waiting behind my goalie. It isn't fun. But I'm also not finding Blitzball much fun to begin with.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Leal posted:

And in Shadow of Mordor: The nemesis system is great... if you do die sometimes. I hardly ever died (to orcs) and when I had to fight my nemesis I had no loving clue on who he was.

My nemesis was this irritating little twerp who killed me in our first encounter by popping up out of nowhere while I was swordfighting about 20 minions and shooting me in the back with a crossbow. I hunted him down and killed him in revenge, so he comes back and tries to ambush me again but it doesn't work and I kill him again. I was less than impressed when the climax declared that my archnemesis was this dweeb.

Croccers posted:

For real, wedge your car into a corner, climb over the car and hide in the corner so they can't make line-of-sight. Works better with boxy/tall cars (The Huntley and the armoured heist car work good). If you can park under an awning you can even block Police Chopper LoS. It's also funny watching all the cops telepathically rush your location in droves but the dozen of them never think to look behind the fluro-pink SUV riddled with bullet holes in the corner :cop:

Funnily enough, this is what I always did to hide from other players while hacking them in Watch_Dogs's multiplayer. None of the human players ever figured it out either. :downsgun:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

My nemesis was this irritating little twerp who killed me in our first encounter by popping up out of nowhere while I was swordfighting about 20 minions and shooting me in the back with a crossbow. I hunted him down and killed him in revenge, so he comes back and tries to ambush me again but it doesn't work and I kill him again. I was less than impressed when the climax declared that my archnemesis was this dweeb.

The climax decided my archnemesis was some guy I didn't even remember, and one of my warchiefs killed him. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Len posted:

Blitzball was a really cool idea with a super janky implementation. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zaphod42 posted:

Blitzball was a really cool idea with a super janky implementation. :v:

Wrong. Blitzball was a really cool idea that was flawed only insofar as they never made a Blitzball Manager franchise a la Football Manager.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Wrong. Blitzball was a really cool idea that was flawed only insofar as they never made a Blitzball Manager franchise a la Football Manager.

I thought they did that in X-2

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

No Such Thing posted:

I thought they did that in X-2

Yeah but it wasn't spergy enough for me

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alouicious posted:

the entire point of Trevor was so that players could go on their wanton murder sprees without it clashing with the characterization, like everyone complained about in gta iv

I'm gonna dispute this. I mean, Franklin going on a killing spree might be a little out of character, but Michael is one traffic jam away from re-enacting Falling Down.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

I'm gonna dispute this. I mean, Franklin going on a killing spree might be a little out of character, but Michael is one traffic jam away from re-enacting Falling Down.

In GTA 4 Niko was constantly saying he hated war and killing people and was trying to change. Any time Michael says that, we are reminded by his psychiatrist that he's a psychopath.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

im pooping! posted:

In GTA 4 Niko was constantly saying he hated war and killing people and was trying to change. Any time Michael says that, we are reminded by his psychiatrist that he's a psychopath.

That's what I mean, though. Michael isn't really that serious about subduing his violent urges (that, or his therapist is a useless dick) and the fact that he only knows how to solve his problems with violence is a recurring character conflict. Put him in the Rampage sequences instead of Trevor and it wouldn't even feel weird.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

RyokoTK posted:

That's what I mean, though. Michael isn't really that serious about subduing his violent urges (that, or his therapist is a useless dick) and the fact that he only knows how to solve his problems with violence is a recurring character conflict. Put him in the Rampage sequences instead of Trevor and it wouldn't even feel weird.

Pretty much. I actually would pop by he psychiatrist on my second play through (I had forgotten it existed the first time around) and a lot of Michael's problems are his addiction to the thrill of crime. He left his life but really didn't want to. He did what seemed to be the correct thing because he was creeped out by Trevor and it fell through.

Anyways after every session I kept in Michael'a character by taking the psychiatrist's sweet car outside and wrapping that bad boy around as many telephone poles as possible and blowing it up.

It would have been great if one of those scenes you saw with Michael when you swapped to him was him in traffic like in Falling Down.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Just drive on the train tracks and hide under a tunnel or in the subway if you're having problems with the cops. For whatever reason they don't dare go there. Just watch out for trains. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

im pooping! posted:

In GTA 4 Niko was constantly saying he hated war and killing people and was trying to change.

He was constantly saying the exact opposite, but I can't blame people for glazing over when exposed to the GTA games' thrilling dialogue.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

im pooping! posted:

Both Niko and Michael are the same broken people: knowing they are horrible people, genuinely wanting to be better, but lacking the emotional/practical skills to make something of themselves other the terrible people they are.

Michael has it worse, I think, because his obsentive support structures are bullshit. His family hates him and his therapist is actively working against helping his client in order to pad his bank account and his book deal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oxxidation posted:

He was constantly saying the exact opposite, but I can't blame people for glazing over when exposed to the GTA games' thrilling dialogue.

Uh what

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

To be honest I didn't mind the characterization in GTA4. By virtue of the games being part of the GTA franchise, we can safely assume all protagonists are crazy. Niko is actually one of my favorites.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

He was constantly saying he wanted to leave violence behind but the whole point of the game and his characterization was that he's an angry person who doesn't know anything but violence and so he kept wading back into it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

He was constantly saying he wanted to leave violence behind but the whole point of the game and his characterization was that he's an angry person who doesn't know anything but violence and so he kept wading back into it.

Yes, that's the point myself and a lot of others took away from GTA4.

Not sure what Oxxidation is getting at though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So I've had a slow day at work and played approximately 30 games of blitzball today getting the rest of wakkas poo poo and the complaint is now the game is boring as poo poo and I want to do literally anything else.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

So I've had a slow day at work and played approximately 30 games of blitzball today getting the rest of wakkas poo poo and the complaint is now the game is boring as poo poo and I want to do literally anything else.
So don't do that. Do something else. Start a new file with a low-level run or something.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Len posted:

The thing dragging this game down is you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

Yes, that's the point myself and a lot of others took away from GTA4.

Not sure what Oxxidation is getting at though.

He sums up his entire characterization to Crazy Russian Cokehead's wife in two lines: "During the war, I did bad things. After, I thought nothing of doing bad things." He outright says he doesn't give a poo poo whether he lives or dies. He goes along with every criminal scheme without any objection stronger than contempt.

Niko recognizes that killing people is probably bad, but he doesn't really care about improving himself. He's a dead man walking who just directs his propensity for violence towards anyone who threatens his family and for the guy he came to the States to murder.

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 02:32 on May 1, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

So don't do that. Do something else. Start a new file with a low-level run or something.

I didn't want to sit through all those FFX cutscenes the first time. Why on earth would I restart the game and do it again? I didn't bother to bring a book or anything because I wasn't supposed to be in a room full of sleeping children for four hours.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I didn't want to sit through all those FFX cutscenes the first time. Why on earth would I restart the game and do it again? I didn't bother to bring a book or anything because I wasn't supposed to be in a room full of sleeping children for four hours.
Oh yeah, I forgot that FFX doesn't have skippable cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I find really annoying about Bloodborne is how easy it is to miss some stuff and a lot of the time there isn't a way to get it on that playthrough. Mostly involving NPCs who will show up at certain places at certain times and if you miss them in some way it breaks their event chain and they just kind of disappear forever.