Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

Nationalize Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

then when wall street gets really sick of it they'll just cut enough people to turn a profit

and no one will even notice

it's not like twitter is trying to cope with runaway user growth, or rolling out new products every day. they see %10-15 growth in a really good year.

what the gently caress do they need so many developers for?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not like twitter is trying to cope with runaway user growth, or rolling out new products every day. they see %10-15 growth in a really good year.

cargo culting late 90s/early 2000s GAMEY

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
1800 engineers.
288 million users.
500 million tweets a day.

literally worse than facebook for headcount inflation

edit: and facebook's stated hiring policy is hire everyone, figure out what they'll do later. twitter is doing worse than just hiring everyone you can.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

jesus, a third of their total expenses are stock-based compensation

if the stock goes much lower they'll just have to give even more out as grants to retain their critical talent who loses them money

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I'd imagine most of them are on metrics/analytics but who loving knows, they might need all those people just to keep the site running

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

if the stock goes much lower they'll just have to give even more out as grants to retain their critical talent who loses them money

twitter uses RSUs rather than options, so this is not a big problem for them at least

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

twitter uses RSUs rather than options, so this is not a big problem for them at least

yeah but if I get 1000 shares worth $40 instead of $50 that's a noticeable difference

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

yeah but if I get 1000 shares worth $40 instead of $50 that's a noticeable difference

it's not as bad, retention-wise, as discovering you hold 5,000 options worth $0 instead of $10.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they think investors are stupid

well if theyre investing in twitter thats probably a safe bet

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Reminder that twitter has this as their strategy statement:

"Reach the largest daily audience in the world by connecting everyone to their world via our information sharing and distribution platform products and be one of the top revenue generating Internet companies in the world."

not to be confused with their mission statement (which is boring poo poo):

"Our mission: To give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
does any company that's not a tiny startup still use options? goog and msft went to rsus over five years ago, amzn always did rsus. i think once cali created some surtax on option income most everyone else did too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

does any company that's not a tiny startup still use options? goog and msft went to rsus over five years ago, amzn always did rsus. i think once cali created some surtax on option income most everyone else did too.

idk I work for a real company now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1800 engineers.
288 million users.
500 million tweets a day.

literally worse than facebook for headcount inflation

edit: and facebook's stated hiring policy is hire everyone, figure out what they'll do later. twitter is doing worse than just hiring everyone you can.

seriously? i thought facebook was "oh, your degrees didn't come from stanford? the door is that way"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i have a question its probably really dumb but what do the ppl working at twitter make? the twitter web site. the app. vine? is that a twitter thing? other things? not sure

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ah, bootstrap! they made that thing! right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

ah, bootstrap! they made that thing! right?

bootstrap kinda just grew

idk that twitter has much to do with it now but i'm happy to be proved wrong

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
someone made periscope

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

seriously? i thought facebook was "oh, your degrees didn't come from stanford? the door is that way"

literally every fb poster i know of on sa went to a state school or skipped college completely

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i imagine a lot of people working for twitter are trying to optimize poo poo and get better analytics/microtargeting

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

literally every fb poster i know of on sa went to a state school or skipped college completely

this might say more about the quality of sa posters now that i think about it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

i have a question its probably really dumb but what do the ppl working at twitter make? the twitter web site. the app. vine? is that a twitter thing? other things? not sure

1800 people using the cutting edge of AI research to better target ads

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

1800 people using the cutting edge of AI research to better target ads

once they get the ad targeting thing done, they can turn it over to the DOD or DARPA to help better target drones.

a better tomorrow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

we're not even getting a cool cyberpunk dystopia, I mean we have kill bots but they're just RC planes and all our AI research is for ads and poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

we're not even getting a cool cyberpunk dystopia, I mean we have kill bots but they're just RC planes and all our AI research is for ads and poo poo

the singularity will murder captchas and people will stop interneting

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/28/captcha-cracked

everyone will be happier

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that AI sounds suspicious, no human gets a 90% rate on capchas

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1800 engineers.

wait wtf
do they have 50 products in development or something?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1800 engineers.

what state(s) are they licensed to practice in :xd:!!!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

that AI sounds suspicious, no human gets a 90% rate on capchas

more human than human

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

syscall girl posted:

the singularity will murder captchas and people will stop interneting

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/28/captcha-cracked

everyone will be happier

yeah gently caress the turing test i'm not gonna pay attention to the ai doomsayers until they can at least crack captchas as reliably as humans

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

its still probably cheaper to pay people in china to sit there typing in captchas for 8 hours a day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the baseline for "cracking" a captcha is 1% lmfao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

what would other things be like if you measured success by one percent? like oh I climbed everest, strolled a few meters up from base camp then right back down or showing up for a single class in a semester and acing the course

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

hobbesmaster posted:

seriously, it's too loving sunny in my dystopian cyberpunk present. what the gently caress, where's the oppressive cloud covering up the sky

china

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

what would other things be like if you measured success by one percent? like oh I climbed everest, strolled a few meters up from base camp then right back down or showing up for a single class in a semester and acing the course

i'm very successful with women, 1/100 of the ones I suddenly start booty dancing with don't hit me or throw their drinks on me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

i thought that was the googsphere

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bartlebyshop posted:

i'm very successful with women, 1/100 of the ones I suddenly start booty dancing with don't hit me or throw their drinks on me.

that's the boomhauer method and everyone seems to think he's good with women

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pinterest somehow employs 400+ humans

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1800 engineers.

perfunctory lmaô

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Greatbacon posted:

Smythe, please. He had a family.

little late to this but :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

1800 engineers.

what?

how?

what?

• Locked thread