Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Countblanc posted:

I can't think of many things less appealing than a steampunk robo Lincoln miniature
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NTRabbit posted:

Without knowing anything about either project, a lower goal 6 months or more down the road could reflect that 6 months extra personal time or finances have gone into continuing the project at a part time rate, which means less additional money is needed to enter production

Yeah. Mel Croucher's first project for Deus Ex Machina 2 had a £64k goal and failed. The second had a £25k goal, succeeded and has delivered. In that case Mel had already paid for the recording work (including Christopher Lee) and the art assets and was trying to get his money back from pre-sales.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
The Super Villain's Handbook is a collection of 40 archetypal villains statted out for the ICONS superhero RPG but they've hit several stretch goals for conversions to other systems, including Fate Core and Mutants and Masterminds. I'm working on the Fate Core conversion. It closes Wednesday: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/412792115/the-super-villain-handbook

quote:

The Super Villain Handbook covers forty archetypes for various super villains that one might encounter throughout comics. While the book was created with ICONS in mind, there are many reasons that this is an essential resource for GMs of any superhero game.

The book classifies super villains not by what they can do (for example, "control magnetism") but by their role in the story ("I must make the world safe for my people!"). In such roles, we see everything from the lowly Crime Boss to the Cosmic Menace. This allows villains of all types and power sets to fill different roles at the table without coming across as poorly re-skinned clones.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

doo-doo-doo-doot-doot-doo-doo Today's Far West update just came in over the wire!

GMS's "daily" update* says that it looks like the game "should" drop in May! He even posted a picture of himself mugging next to his InDesign layout, which makes I think the third time he's done that in as many years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUFww0

* They've turned into a 2-3 per week thing, because of course.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy to say that after quite a while of quiet, the Minion guys came back with a huge update explaining how busy they were and more importantly saying that they heard everybody's complaints about the new name, and now they've got an even newer name - Henchling. They showed examples of all the assets redesigned to use the Henchling name and such.

I'm just happy it's not LOLWARS anymore. I was completely ready to write this off as a loss whether or not I'd get the product.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

doo-doo-doo-doot-doot-doo-doo Today's Far West update just came in over the wire!

GMS's "daily" update* says that it looks like the game "should" drop in May! He even posted a picture of himself mugging next to his InDesign layout, which makes I think the third time he's done that in as many years.

But this time, he really, really means it!

If it does come out, I'm not doin' the F&F on it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is that Speculator promo in One Night Coup from the Coup: Guatemala thing, which would imply that they're going to print that in their Resistanceverse? Because man I wish someone else had the license (?) to print Coup besides IB&G.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There is a One Night Coup?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There is a One Night Coup?

I assume he meant the One Night Resistance which was/is? on KS.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Merauder posted:

I assume he meant the One Night Resistance which was/is? on KS.

Yeah, I did, my bad.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/car-wars-classic-arenas

Oh my god look at the maps you get for your $20. Greyscale grids!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

A year ago I posted about my Kickstarter project for a fiction magazine. Included was a short RPG designed by Brennen Reece. I'm about to go update the KS and release issue #1, so I thought I'd drop by here and post the game.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzinzsuwqwnrtxf/rustandflame.pdf?dl=0

I might end up selling it separately later, so grab it while you can.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

xiw posted:

Worth it for the nostalgia value alone. Car Wars was the game that got me back into gaming after falling out of love with AD&D.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

xiw posted:

Love the video- "we're keeping it simple." Translation: we're going cheap and lazy in order to maximize profits off you fools.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bucnasti posted:

Worth it for the nostalgia value alone. Car Wars was the game that got me back into gaming after falling out of love with AD&D.

It's weird for me after hunting and hunting for the Arena Book and finally getting a copy, so it's hilarious to see them reprinting it now that I finally own it. But it'll be good to have actual maps to go with it, the new reprint, and the PDFs of the rare few ADQs I don't own. Having it come with the Car Wars Card Game just has me envisioning them pulling out a box from layers of dust and slamming it down on the table and intoning:

"FINALLY."

"IT WILL BE FREE."

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's weird for me after hunting and hunting for the Arena Book and finally getting a copy, so it's hilarious to see them reprinting it now that I finally own it. But it'll be good to have actual maps to go with it, the new reprint, and the PDFs of the rare few ADQs I don't own. Having it come with the Car Wars Card Game just has me envisioning them pulling out a box from layers of dust and slamming it down on the table and intoning:

"FINALLY."

"IT WILL BE FREE."

The ADQs really sealed the deal for me, they probably won't live up to my memories, but it's still a deal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mehuyael posted:

I'm just happy it's not LOLWARS anymore. I was completely ready to write this off as a loss whether or not I'd get the product.

I was the same, LOLWARS was a horrible name

Trenchworx has a second project up, this time their 28mm tanks are of the WW2 Manchurian campaign variety

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Bucnasti posted:

The ADQs really sealed the deal for me, they probably won't live up to my memories, but it's still a deal.

They're still pretty great, I think, or at very least there hasn't been much like them since. My set is almost complete, but it's hard to find those first two years of publication.

I'm reminded I really should put together a set of the AADA Road Atlases, too...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

xiw posted:

Whoo hoo! Your derision reminded me it was ending soon! Backed! Love me some Car Wars and I never had all the arena maps.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Whoo hoo! Your derision reminded me it was ending soon! Backed! Love me some Car Wars and I never had all the arena maps.

Holy poo poo - was this KS even mentioned in the thread? I didn't know it was happening. drat it, now I have to rush and go through my PDFs to see if it is worth backing now. I played the card game once and remember it being fun. I think? $45 for it and the other stuff seems like a pretty good deal.

EDIT: Wait a minute:

quote:

What if I want both the boxed set and the PDF?

These are not being offered together during this Kickstarter, but if it is successful, they will both be available on Warehouse 23 -- http://www.warehouse23.com/ -- after Car Wars Arenas ships to backers.
Do you not get the PDFs unless you select Electronic Duelist?

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess you get the ADQ PDFs if you pledge above $40, but already having the full run, this is not the deal for me. Retail prices for everything plus shipping equals bleh. Also, the digital supporter level is $12. You can get those two Arena books in PDF for $9 on the SJG site.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 29, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

There are rumblings that Cthulhu Wars will have a Season 2 Kickstarter "very very soon." Yes, this is before they've completely fulfilled "Season 1" and have two more outstanding Kickstarters (Theomachy and Orcs Must Die). That being said, considering that they did actually put out Cthulhu Wars while stuff like Two Rooms and a Boom, Deck of Legends, and most Resistance 1.5 completely failed at providing a deck of loving cards, I have to say I'm pretty impressed by Petersen games' ability to actually fulfill their projects, regardless of what I think of the game (which I like overall, but I'm not sure if I $100+ like it).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of this, just for comparison purposes:

The Fate Core KS just updated with info on the remaining stretch goals (Shadow of the Century is in alpha playtest!), and points out that the KS launched just over 2 years ago.

In two years, they've delivered:
  • Fate Core
  • Fate Accelerated
  • The book full of rules hacks/alternates.
  • Two books containing a dozen minisettings.
  • A novel
  • Strange Tales of the Century
  • The Deck of Fate
  • Fate Freeport Companion
  • Fate Day after Ragnarok
The only things left are Young Centurions, Dresden Accelerated, Shadow of the Century, and Do: Fate of the Flying Temple. Of those, Do is apparently in layout and the other three are in playtest, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see all those within a year.

So in less time than it's taken GMS to write one game, Evil Hat has put out nine books and is almost done with four more. And that's not taking into account the other stuff EH has put out in the meantime (board games, novels, the monthly Patreon...)

But, as we all know, that's just a trick on EH's part to make people give them money.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, to be entirely fair, GMS is one single complete clueless idiot, whereas Evil Hat is a company of multiple professional designers and editors. You should compare him to someone whose league he's in. :v:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Like, say, Jamie Chambers, who still hasn't delivered Metamorphosis Alpha?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I mean, to be entirely fair, GMS is one single complete clueless idiot, whereas Evil Hat is a company of multiple professional designers and editors. You should compare him to someone whose league he's in. :v:
Oh, there's nobody in GMS's league. ;)

What's funny is that back when Far West launched, GMS did have some support systems in place, but over the last few years he's been alienating people and burning bridges left and right. Steve Kenson took over the rights to distribute ICONS after the Team-Up debacle, and there was something where GMS pissed off Cubicle 7 but I don't remember the details on that.

e: Metamorphosis Alpha is also about as late, but at least Jamie has released completed chapters to backers, so there's proof it exists. It's not like GMS, who didn't start serious work until he was backed into a corner and refused to release drafts or evidence until, again, people backed him into a corner.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 29, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm still waiting for the Far West transmedia empire to take off. Wasn't he promising

quote:

The next project already underway is a FAR WEST fiction line, available in electronic and print formats.

Development has also begun on the FAR WEST web series (which will be available for free streaming on the FAR WEST website, and then collected for purchase as downloads or DVD/Blu-Ray), as well as a handful of other projects which are still in the early stages.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Lee Garvin?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
In search of more Far West related laughs, I went over to the website, where you can sign up and pay for a FAR WEST Subscription. What does the subscription get you?

quote:

The Far West Society is our official fan membership community, available via subscription.

Society members receive special offers on Far West products, including exclusive merchandise not offered for sale to the public. The Society receives access to a private members-only forum, where they have direct access to the Far West Core Development Team, as well as early access to information and material before it is released via the main site.

Most importantly, however, the Far West Society has the ability to add material to the official Far West canon, and to directly influence the outcome of events within the setting. Society members can propose new characters, locations, organizations, events and more, and those proposals are discussed and collaborated upon by their fellow members. The proposals are honed to razor-sharpness by the community, and incorporated by the Core Development Team into the official setting!

The Core Development Team also comes to the Far West Society will official calls for submissions and opinions on specific topics, relevant to the development of the Far West setting and property. How should a particular event play out? Should this character die, or live to fight another day? Which actor do you think had the better audition for this role in the webseries?

Membership in the Far West Society is available for only $10.00 US for a six-month subscription, by clicking the button below.

A look at his forums also shows GMS still divorced from reality in December 2014, posting mockups of FAR WEST miniatures

quote:

So yeah. Pretty damned nifty. Something to think about once you're getting ready to play...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

There are rumblings that Cthulhu Wars will have a Season 2 Kickstarter "very very soon." Yes, this is before they've completely fulfilled "Season 1" and have two more outstanding Kickstarters (Theomachy and Orcs Must Die). That being said, considering that they did actually put out Cthulhu Wars while stuff like Two Rooms and a Boom, Deck of Legends, and most Resistance 1.5 completely failed at providing a deck of loving cards, I have to say I'm pretty impressed by Petersen games' ability to actually fulfill their projects, regardless of what I think of the game (which I like overall, but I'm not sure if I $100+ like it).

From what I'm hearing, they plan to do the second CW Kickstarter immediately after the "everything but the base game" wave for CW goes out. Also it's a straight reprint, so everything is already tooled up and all they have to do is get a new production run made.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

A look at his forums also shows GMS still divorced from reality in December 2014, posting mockups of FAR WEST miniatures

Is that . . . is that a mini you can make on Hero Forge?

Edit: the chain thing is the same, anyway. I didn't spend the time to recreate the whole thing, but... yeah.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 29, 2015

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

homullus posted:

Is that . . . is that a mini you can make on HeroForge?

Yes, yes it is. I just ordered some stuff off of Hero Forge, and that is DEFINITELY just their screenshot tool.

I re-created it in about five minutes, and probably put about as much effort as he did.
https://www.heroforge.com/load_share=12985

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Oooh I almost KSed Hero Forge way back when but ultimately decide to just wait for retail. Have you used it? How are the minis?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL

e: f;b

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I actually thought the gun was attached to the chain which would have made it about a thousand times dumber.

Also, I just lost too much time playing around on Heroforge. I'd also be interested to know how the results look.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Doctor Zero posted:

Oooh I almost KSed Hero Forge way back when but ultimately decide to just wait for retail. Have you used it? How are the minis?

It's more expensive than I would like, but it's great for custom minis. A few details came out rough, but not to the extent that it was hard to paint them. The clear plastic they use makes it really hard to see things unpainted, but even just primer makes everything stand out.
All in all, I'm very happy with it, and would definitely recommend it to anyone not put off by the price. Here's a lovely phone pic, along with the original screenshot from heroforge. It's a WIP, so don't blame them for my bad painting. I also changed the base from square to round before ordering it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

homullus posted:

Is that . . . is that a mini you can make on Hero Forge?

Edit: the chain thing is the same, anyway. I didn't spend the time to recreate the whole thing, but... yeah.

Heh it's their background now when I just went to the site. Oh no wait it was a targeted link, I am dumb.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

... I'm pretty impressed by Petersen games' ability to actually fulfill their projects ...
I'm impressed they actually ship their poo poo. I backed Theomachy at a level which included a copy of Cthulhu Wars. I fully expected them to do the usual "we won't ship anything until everything is ready to ship", but they sent out Cthulhu Wars shortly after the KS ended. I liked it so much, I ordered a copy for my daughter for her birthday. I received it few days later, not something I'm used to from small publishers.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone played Theomachy yet?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Feng Shui 2 digital links have just been sent out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has anyone played Theomachy yet?

The game's been out in Polish for several years, so Polish people. Also anyone who's ever played Texas Hold'em, because it's basically Hold'em with power ups.

• Locked thread