Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

GutBomb posted:

How much motion does it take to activate the watch? Like can I look at the time on my wrist in a non obvious way in a really boring meeting like I can with a traditional watch out so I have to wave my arm around?

Not a lot at all, looking at the time non-obviously should be enough. Personally, based on my experience, I find that the watch is a little sensitive and activates more frequently than I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

GutBomb posted:

How much motion does it take to activate the watch? Like can I look at the time on my wrist in a non obvious way in a really boring meeting like I can with a traditional watch out so I have to wave my arm around?

The key thing which no-one tells you about the motion activation is its not based on acceleration or anything other than tilt. If the watch tilts towards you while your arm is being roughly horizontal, it turns on. You just need to rotate your arm a few degrees, as slow as you like and boom. And if that is too much you can always casually touch the face to turn it on too.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does Google Hangouts work on the watch? For text or calling?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

No app yet. You can get notifications though.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

quote:

I got mine on launch day, but I think it's ridiculous that someone who ordered 10 min after the start of a preorder that was 2 weeks before release day has no idea when a watch will be arriving and no one seems to know. I was in the T-mobile iPhone 6+ debacle and remember the anguish.

quote:

I'm just curious to see how people are treating the watch. Personally, I think the watch will definitely be my "most personal device" and I think it will be the most important device I use instead of the iPhone, but I feel like putting it simply on my bedside table is lame

Since it is a wearable device, I'm going to make of the small drawers (actually is a jewelry drawer) in my dresser as my Apple watch drawer were I but the watch to charge every night and were I keep all the bands.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 28, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

People are weird about Apple stuff, but the watch seems to be tapping a special kind of crazy.

Is the still from macrumors?

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

The level of Apple fetishism on Macrumors can get pretty creepy. I almost wish there was a separate thread for posting stupid poo poo from Macrumors, sort of like a perpetual weekend web.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Was it Macrumors were I read some post about how this guy literally had an Apple product in every facet of his life? His TV was an iMac with a TV tuner, his children all had their set of ipads/iphones/macs, and when one of his things broke down he sent a sobbing email to tim about how he was gay for apple a big fan and if he could potentially help get something repaired out of warranty.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Logikv9 posted:

Was it Macrumors were I read some post about how this guy literally had an Apple product in every facet of his life? His TV was an iMac with a TV tuner, his children all had their set of ipads/iphones/macs, and when one of his things broke down he sent a sobbing email to tim about how he was gay for apple a big fan and if he could potentially help get something repaired out of warranty.

Steve Jobs used to replace plenty of my poo poo out of warranty. gently caress AppleCare.

Can someone try this chess app. It's free now and I want to know how it plays on the watch.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-watch!/id983381296?mt=8

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Apple doesn't want apps that only tell time on your watch: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/28/...&?ncid=rss_full

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Snuffman posted:

People are weird about Apple stuff, but the watch seems to be tapping a special kind of crazy.

Is the still from macrumors?

Yes. I feel like there should be a YOSPOS thread for this sort of poo poo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

io_burn posted:

So make one

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Before we do something that drastic I think we need to take a moment to remember the hoof hand. I would have missed that if it was in yospos and therefore I vote to keep making GBS threads the thread with mac rumor posts lest I miss something equally amazing.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

Done.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716670

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Heads up for anyone in the LA area -- Barely waited 2 hours in line at Maxfield's for a 42mm Space Grey sport with black band. It was super easy and the line was not even at 80 heads total today. As of leaving they still had the 42mm space and the 38 in white, green and blue. I really, REALLY suggest anyone within the area to do this since the shipping times to be absolute poo poo on the space grey's.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
A dude who works for me was supposed to get his Apple Watch today. Spends all day stalking UPS tracking, and suddenly it says it's delivered... Except there's no Apple Watch at his house. Hours on the phone later, and UPS decided they delivered it to the wrong address. The resolution? UPS decides the only thing they can do is give him the address of where they delivered it.

He drives out and it's just some confused lady who happily gives the box to him, but, holy poo poo. What a clusterfuck.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

io_burn posted:

A dude who works for me was supposed to get his Apple Watch today. Spends all day stalking UPS tracking, and suddenly it says it's delivered... Except there's no Apple Watch at his house. Hours on the phone later, and UPS decided they delivered it to the wrong address. The resolution? UPS decides the only thing they can do is give him the address of where they delivered it.

He drives out and it's just some confused lady who happily gives the box to him, but, holy poo poo. What a clusterfuck.

Hey if he called Apple and complained, they'd probably send a second one, no questions asked. They always take it up with UPS.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

shodanjr_gr posted:

Hey if he called Apple and complained, they'd probably send a second one, no questions asked. They always take it up with UPS.

The Apple solution was to refund him and let him reorder, they've got no extra stock for poo poo like this. :psyduck:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

shodanjr_gr posted:

And wait again for another Apple Watch? Ah, I don't think so :colbert:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

nerdrum posted:

Heads up for anyone in the LA area -- Barely waited 2 hours in line at Maxfield's for a 42mm Space Grey sport with black band. It was super easy and the line was not even at 80 heads total today. As of leaving they still had the 42mm space and the 38 in white, green and blue. I really, REALLY suggest anyone within the area to do this since the shipping times to be absolute poo poo on the space grey's.

So how did this retailer I've never heard of get apple watch stock?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My apple watch (42mm space gray sport) was slated to be delivered may 13-27. Got a notification of label created on Sunday, watch arrived today.

I'm liking it overall, not seeing a lot of uses yet for the crown, every instance so far I find myself just using the touchscreen instead.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm liking it overall, not seeing a lot of uses yet for the crown, every instance so far I find myself just using the touchscreen instead.

I find myself using it most when going through longer lists of content (e.g. workout summaries, etc). The thing is, most of the existing Watch apps have actually been tailored in a way that doesn't really require scrolling so it becomes a bit redundant.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

So how did this retailer I've never heard of get apple watch stock?
It's a high end fashion boutique. It's the only retail store in the western hemisphere with an actual stock of Apple Watches at the moment.

There was a fairly long post a while about talking about the experience there.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
picking up the wife's pink sport from UPS in the morning. Any Links in the wild that weren't gifts to celebs and journalists?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have no idea about the similarities and differences of the build of iPhone vs Apple Watch. That being said - is there any chance that the waterproof-ness of the Apple Watch means there's a good chance that the iPhone 6S or iPhone 7 will have the same level of waterproof-ness?

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Nice, first non-shipping related -gate for the Apple Watch. Tattoogate: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/344b3o/anyone_with_tattoos_and_the_watch_please_read/

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I don't know, the pic looks like he's wearing it sideways with only half of the watch in contact with the skin and not on top of the wrist proper. Or is that the position in which the watch works for him?

Pretty funny if it turns out the watch doesn't work on tattoos.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Zwille posted:

I don't know, the pic looks like he's wearing it sideways with only half of the watch in contact with the skin and not on top of the wrist proper. Or is that the position in which the watch works for him?

This is literally 'you're holding it wrong' and isn't an answer.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

G5ANDY posted:

Nice, first non-shipping related -gate for the Apple Watch. Tattoogate: http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/344b3o/anyone_with_tattoos_and_the_watch_please_read/

This is happening to my buddy right now.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Zwille posted:

I’m almost certain it won’t work on dark tattoos. All heart rate monitors use green (I think) LEDs to measure the pulsing of capillaries just below the skin. If you have any kind of color under your skin that absorbs green light significantly, no conventional heart rate monitor will work for you.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Got my 38mm SG Sport yesterday.

So far it's perfect for what I want (message notifications and weather info at the ready).

The HR samples are cool too.

Overall super pleased so far.
Going to do a cycling workout with both the watch and my HRM strap later today to see how they track against each other during hard activity (intervals workout today!)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Went and played with one over the weekend. I'm pretty amazed at the clarity of the map images, I wasn't expecting that at all. And use of the scroller and the button on the right side were easy - even the icons were bigger than I imagined. Everything felt very intuitive, coming from use of an iPhone and a nano for the past 10 years, but I think any new to Apple person would be able to pair it with their phone and handle it well. I tried a sport band and the leather clasp - and they both felt great and solid. It looks really easy to change bands as well.

I kinda really want one now. Thanks Steve.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Nam Taf posted:

This is literally 'you're holding it wrong' and isn't an answer.

Who wears their watch that way? I'm pretty sure that's legit holding it wrong.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Zwille posted:

Apple approved list of methods to express your individuality no longer covers wrist tattoos. Hairstyle, clothing, makeup and piercings are still considered acceptable, but may be deprecated in the future.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Found my first complaint about the watch, or specifically email on the watch. Work emails coming from Exchange/Outlook are set to have a blue font by default (which I loving hate), and that blue font makes it hard to read the replies on the watch because it blends into the background.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

DJCobol posted:

Found my first complaint about the watch, or specifically email on the watch. Work emails coming from Exchange/Outlook are set to have a blue font by default (which I loving hate), and that blue font makes it hard to read the replies on the watch because it blends into the background.

That is hosed up. My exchange emails don't come in blue thank God, but they are showing up in Kuenstler Script and I end up having to call my boss to find out what they mean - something this watch actually CAN'T do :doh: :shrug:

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Anyone experience any strange battery issues yet? Over the past two days, I've went for a morning walk using the watch, and used it regularly throughout the day. Yesterday, after 6 hours of use, I was hovering around 65-70% battery, and today I'm at 45%. I've installed no new apps or made any settings changes either. I find it strange that all of a sudden, I've spent half my battery power in the span of 6 hours.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So the speaker is only for alerts and phone calls?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

So the speaker is only for alerts and phone calls?

As far as I can tell. Haven't found a way to use it for music. Anytime I pick the watch as the source, it tries to get me to airplay to either my bluetooth headphones or my apple tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

WaffleStomp posted:

Anyone experience any strange battery issues yet? Over the past two days, I've went for a morning walk using the watch, and used it regularly throughout the day. Yesterday, after 6 hours of use, I was hovering around 65-70% battery, and today I'm at 45%. I've installed no new apps or made any settings changes either. I find it strange that all of a sudden, I've spent half my battery power in the span of 6 hours.

I actually had this happen to me once. Most days I make it though entire day with 30% battery left. Yesterday I left home at 11am and by 3pm the watch was at 10% battery. Sounds like a software issue...

• Locked thread