Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mikeraskol posted:

You didn't really get what I said.

I was commenting more on how nasty Ward was being than your post, sorry I phrased it that way.

But even Coulson told him to knock it off. Even if he does mean well, he's being a total fucker about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

AoS is effectively one long, expensive commercial for the MCU. Not going to spoil anything but there are a couple of events in Ultron that make it seem like AoS is almost an afterthought in the overall MCU. The show is a drop in the bucket compared to the juggernaut that is Marvel cinema. Coulson dying was a major plot point in the first Avengers movie and bringing him back to the movies would take away from that so I'm fairly confident he'll not be making anymore movie appearances that aren't flashbacks/dreams etc.

In other news, JESUS loving CHRIST SKYE :staredog: Agent Skye Mary Sue Daisy Poots Johnson unleashed the John Wick AND brought in a bit of the Reverse Flash just for good measure. Holy gently caress that was a hell of a scene. I'm sad the bus is gone and that Skye didn't crush Ward's nuts from across the room but this was out-loving-standing overall.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

Maybe the first season I could understand but what the gently caress are you people thinking that this show doesn't matter to the broader MCU? They've introduced Inhumans (yes, even using the name and other associated terminology) four loving years before the Inhumans' own movie or any other show or movie that may have them before the movie.

If you think any of this will matter for the Inhumans movie I don't know what to tell you.

Just enjoy the show for what it is. Who cares if it ties into the MCU at all.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

drat, Skye is Solid Snake now :stonk:

I guess she did get all the recessive genes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

She needs to sneak around in a cardboard box for this to truly come to pass.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Can someone describe the AoU preview after this week's AoS episode? I didn't get to see it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Can someone describe the AoU preview after this week's AoS episode? I didn't get to see it.

It was Cap fighting Ultron atop a moving truck, and then a bunch of quick edits of action scenes from the rest of the film. Nothing incredibly specific.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

Whedon has nothing to do with the films anymore, so what he said is pretty much just his thoughts when making AoU. If Feige or the Russos want to use Coulson or characters from the show, they will.

Well, sure, I can't completely rule out the possibility of a cameo or Easter egg in Civil/Infinity War. But you're talking as though this was solely Whedon's decision and that Feige and the rest of Marvel Studios had nothing to do with it, which isn't exactly my takeaway from those quotes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Welp, shut down all of television. That's as good as it's gonna get.

Seriously, Skye's Sonic the Hedgehog burn, Jemma's cheery "Poof! No more Ward!" while literally advocating coldblooded murder, Hunter and Mack basically just going "Nah we cool", Coulson dunking all over Gonzales for months because he knew he didn't have the votes to get what he was going to do anyway... glorious.

Still, the absolute best part was Coulson unlocking the toolbox, handing it over, and being like "You could've just waited ten minutes and not have Fury rip you a new one for all this oh woops he's alive btw." That, the way they effectively worked together, and the look on Gonzales' face afterwards when Phil dropped the mic and walked off. It was the first time a season-long plot has just felt satisfying, like everything actually came together and was resolved.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I wonder if Coulson just casually dropping that Fury's alive is going to make PointySHIELD flip their poo poo and go hunt Fury down for his secrets instead of our heroes.

Probably not though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also not getting enough attention is Cal trying to be a better person. Yeah, he paced a little, but he'll count to ten next time :unsmith:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I wonder if Coulson just casually dropping that Fury's alive is going to make PointySHIELD flip their poo poo and go hunt Fury down for his secrets instead of our heroes.

Probably not though.

That would... be a mistake on their part.

Especially since it was made very clear Phil, and by extension Hill/Fury/the Avengers, know where the bodies are buried.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This is a good TV show.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
During that whole Skye-goes-commando scene I was like "wait, this is May, right? No, wait, no, it's Skye. drat May is a good teacher."

I mean, poo poo, combine that with The Shocker's powers and she's come quite a long way.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

During that whole sequence I was like "In season one I posted a joke about Skye's best episode being the one she was in a coma." This show has certainly come a long way.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
Coulson being a smug prick about everything all the time has worn me down on the character. I've gone from being elated about his resurrection when the series started to wishing Loki had done a doubletap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo Skye :stare::stare::stare: Getting involved with Kevin Tanchereon is one of the best decisions this show's ever made.

Skye being badass was amazing. Ward being crazy was amazing. Jemma being psycho was amazing. Coulson being smug was amazing. The last minute AoU advert wasn't amazing cause I've already seen it so it felt unnecessary but I'm sure it went down better for those who haven't. I doubt there'll be much follow up next episode, there's not really too much in the movie that the show could latch on to.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Maybe the first season I could understand but what the gently caress are you people thinking that this show doesn't matter to the broader MCU? They've introduced Inhumans (yes, even using the name and other associated terminology) four loving years before the Inhumans' own movie or any other show or movie that may have them before the movie.

It's Barry Convex, just look at the OP

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Coulson being a smug prick about everything all the time has worn me down on the character. I've gone from being elated about his resurrection when the series started to wishing Loki had done a doubletap.

How's the weather in Wrongopinionstan?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
So, I was thinking.

Is it possible that Chloe Bennet's oft-mocked history as a Chinese Pop Star actually gave her good experience for doing fight scenes? Learning choreography, doing rolls and flips in sync with other people... in other words, is having a dance background actually a good start for doing coolguy punchmans stuff?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've heard some actors say that a dance background helps and others say that it makes action scenes counter-intuitive in ways. It probably depends on a lot of factors...but hey, when it comes down to it, being coordinated and used to moving around has gotta be vastly preferable to being clumsy and flat-footed.

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Well...y'know, TAHITI, so that wouldn't have made a difference. :v:

I think this season should've focused more on how different Coulson is from the SHIELD old guard that had allowed themselves to be taken over by Hydra/was merely another face of Hydra throughout the years. The whole point of Fury appointing Coulson as the new director was to have a fresh start with a different, better direction than the path SHIELD had meandered onto. But now we're kinda getting the feeling that Coulson is just a shorter, whiter Nick Fury, and I don't think it works that well for the character or for the show. I mean, he's still superior to Gonzales, but not by a glaring obvious margin.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rarity posted:

The last minute AoU advert wasn't amazing cause I've already seen it so it felt unnecessary but I'm sure it went down better for those who haven't.

Just remember it's not out in the US for a couple of days, so its placement largely seems logical.

Honestly, as much as I enjoyed getting to see AoU on the 23rd, seeing it right after watching this episode would've been really cool.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Coulson being a smug prick is the thing he does best. I always feel like he doesn't have a lot to do or a lot of emotion when he does anything, so he's always doing strings of quips and asides, like his various Marvel movie appearances stapled together. When he really lets loose with the smugness he's achieving the best that can be done with the character.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

XboxPants posted:

So, I was thinking.

Is it possible that Chloe Bennet's oft-mocked history as a Chinese Pop Star actually gave her good experience for doing fight scenes? Learning choreography, doing rolls and flips in sync with other people... in other words, is having a dance background actually a good start for doing coolguy punchmans stuff?

Ask Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee (if you could) about that and see what they say.

(Answer is yes, it most certainly helps. Quite a number of stuntmen are also quite proficent dancers)

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo Skye :stare::stare::stare: Getting involved with Kevin Tanchereon is one of the best decisions this show's ever made.

Judging from twitter, that was a combination of Matt Mullins and Kevin Tancharoen and also Chloe Bennet being awesome.

quote:

Ming-Na Wen @MingNa
OH, Yeah! Skye took those dudes DOWN!! Awesome, @ChloeBennet4 & @KTANCH @Sideswipematt! #AgentsofSHIELD

quote:

Chloe Bennet @ChloeBennet4
Thanks to my off screen SO @Sideswipematt for making that gun-fu fight possible. You're the best matty. And @KTANCH you're the man.

quote:

Matt Mullins @Sideswipematt
Thanks @sideswipeseth @sideswipedonald @AVelaBailey @ChloeBennet4 all the after hour work u put in made that shot possible. #nostuntdouble

quote:

Chloe Bennet @ChloeBennet4
I love how badass #simmons is this episode!!! 👌💃@Lil_Henstridge

I have to agree with Bennet on that last point, too. I was super duper hoping Simmons was gonna take out Ward the same way he does people, double tap on the ground.

I'm frankly still hoping that is how he goes out. No lingering, no final words, just Simmons taking care of business. :clint:

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

Ask Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee (if you could) about that and see what they say.

(Answer is yes, it most certainly helps. Quite a number of stuntmen are also quite proficent dancers)

It probably also helps that Kevin Tanchereon is a choreographer as well as a director. He also directed the episode with that fantastic May/33 fight scene.

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's both funny and sad how much better the fight/action scenes are now compared to early season one, which sometimes looked like they just forgot to hire a fight choreographer and told all the actors "poo poo I dunno, just kind of punch him I guess?" How far we've come from the days of May awkwardly beating up some Scandinavian prog rockers or the team fighting a half dozen super-soldiers by just standing next to them and having a boring, static fist fight.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

VDay posted:

It's both funny and sad how much better the fight/action scenes are now compared to early season one, which sometimes looked like they just forgot to hire a fight choreographer and told all the actors "poo poo I dunno, just kind of punch him I guess?" How far we've come from the days of May awkwardly beating up some Scandinavian prog rockers or the team fighting a half dozen super-soldiers by just standing next to them and having a boring, static fist fight.

Remember that hilariously awful Ward versus Centipede guys in the Warehouse? Man I can't wait for that Skye scene to show up on youtube.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xtanstic posted:

Remember that hilariously awful Ward versus Centipede guys in the Warehouse? Man I can't wait for that Skye scene to show up on youtube.

No, you can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hReYNlIoIWE

Scorchie
Jul 24, 2014
I loved the moment Skye shot the pipe and chased the HYDRA guy around the table. The entire fight sequence reminded me a bit of River's bar fight in Serenity.

Muad'Dad's mood swings and eternal optimism concerning future family dinners will never get old.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm actually glad that I was wrong for once on Ward manipulating Agent 33 and instead genuinely caring for her. Unless he has some master backup plan to use her as a SHIELD mole...

I don't know, from the little bit we saw she seemed genuinely upset that he left her behind.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Solid Quake

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Outside of what has already been said, I'm really glad that Deathlok didn't get mindwiped/tinkered with enough to have the awkward "welp I'm your enemy now we must fight" reveal. Mike has really been reasserting his own personality instead of being silent emo-bot and the more he talks the more I like the character.

I am so glad that Cal remained calm and actually seems to have worked things out a bit with Jiaying. I was a little worried in their "walk with me" scene that she was literally going to take him to the edge of the mountain, Old Yeller him, and shove him wordlessly off the cliff but thankfully we get to keep him around at least long enough for him to rage out of the invaders next episode.

The Raina and Jiaying power struggle is going to come to a head soon, possibly with her just manipulating others to undermine her authority. I'm curious if either their impending conflict or the invasion of Afterlife will force the Elders to reveal themselves and lay down the law. We're years away from the Inhumans movie, so probably not.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Theta Protocol is the New Avergers organisation, right? Coulson has been setting it up for Fury and Hill, and it will be there to support the Avengers defend Earth and Humanity. It even has a helicarrier.

Both Shields will get subsumed.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm actually glad that I was wrong for once on Ward manipulating Agent 33 and instead genuinely caring for her. Unless he has some master backup plan to use her as a SHIELD mole...

There's almost zero possibility that Ward hasn't subtly manipulated her, if not straight-up subjected her to a second round of Whitehall's program, to be utterly loyal to him. Ward claimed he needed one more thing from Coulson and I doubt it was "take in Agent 33 as an olive branch." It's another play on Coulson's willingness to forgive and take in ex-SHIELD members.

I suppose it's possible it wasn't a ploy, but considering almost everyone has alternate motives for every action in this show I doubt it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's a nice touch to have the Shield-616 bus get blown up right as the conventional 616 marvel universe seems to be coming to an end with the secret war event. I also liked that Deathlok/Mike wasn't at all cool with missing a leg, and wanted to be reassured that he could get it repaired. He didn't seem to mind the missing eye, but he's probably on like his fifth eye now, so that might not be as big a deal for him.

That Skye shootout is amazing every time I see it, that had to have been a TON of takes to get right, and Chloe Bennett was doing the heavy lifting with the random Hydra goon stuntmen just having to hit their marks and fall the right way, while she's doing 20 different things in the scene. Now hopefully we get to see a similar scene down the line, but with her firing off quake blasts and whatnot instead of using a gun.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Little Mac posted:

Solid Quake

:eyepop:

Who would have though that I would live in a world where Skye has become a badass and one of my favorite characters?

The hedgehog burn was a great line, and I really liked how the show did the trope of Ward expressing his regret for and "justifying" his actions, and the rest of the team went "nope, gently caress you, I still hope you die." While as a viewer I don't want evil-Ward to die because he's awesome, I appreciate that Simmons was really going to kill him; it's a realistic response to all the fuckery that Ward has done.

I'm still dying to know what Gonzales is carrying in the cargo hold of that ship though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Collateral posted:

Theta Protocol is the New Avergers organisation, right? Coulson has been setting it up for Fury and Hill, and it will be there to support the Avengers defend Earth and Humanity. It even has a helicarrier.

Both Shields will get subsumed.

Yeah, everything that they were saying Coulson was doing off books checks out with what we see in Age of Ultron.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

imperialparadox posted:

I'm still dying to know what Gonzales is carrying in the cargo hold of that ship though.

I have to assume that the two-part finale is going to deal directly with that, considering the title of the episode(s) is S.O.S.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rarity posted:

It's Barry Convex, just look at the OP

I've already eaten my share of crow about the introduction of the Inhumans concept.

But if you think anything this show is doing with Inhumans will get much more than a cursory mention, if that, in the 2019 film... I suspect you'll be very disappointed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that was a well done gunfight. That was some top tier fight choreography and Goddamn did Skye officially earn the title of badass there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Raina: (having a vision) "metal men destroying cities..."

Jaiying: "What? Have you had a vision?"

Raina: "Nope, just saw the trailer to Avengers: Age of Ultron! In theaters this Friday!"

• Locked thread