Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yesterday I managed to get a 2 player coop game of Mage Knight going. I had forgotten how surprising the game is for someone who hasn't played it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Is Evolution any good? 6 player simultaneous play is a good niche to fill, but I'm not super confidant about what I've seen of the game play.

It's super appealing as a light conflict game, and keeps decent pace even with 6 players. The game is timed based on the draw deck, and with more players you draw more cards from it each round, so the game ends in fewer rounds despite being much more chaotic than it would be with less players.

I've played it about a dozen times and it's practically my go-to game for when people start getting indecisive about what to play now.

signalnoise posted:

Got a game night with 6 people coming up. Games available right now are Game of Thrones, Pathfinder card games Skulls & Shackles, Viticulture/Tuscany, and 7 Wonders. I'm really tired of 7 Wonders personally. Half this crew is not seasoned board gamers. Need a recommendation of which games to play and if you have any games otherwise that I could do on Amazon Prime that'll be cool too, as long as they are games that cultivate serious board gamers and make people want to learn better games.

See above. Evolution is good poo poo.

Don't judge it on the first play, either. It can seem unfair in a kingmaker-y sort of way if a bunch of people go carnivore and other players just don't bother to protect their species.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 29, 2015

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Could someone please explain to me, as you would to a child, how GMT's ordering system works?

Also, is 1989 likely to come back into stock any time soon?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 29, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Krazyface posted:

Could someone please explain to me, as you would to a child, how GMT's ordering system works?

Also, is 1989 likely to come back into stock any time soon?
GMT's system works like this: instead of doing regular print runs, they have a system called 'P500'. The idea of it is that they let people pre-order games (either reprints of previously printed games or brand new games), and once 500 pre-orders are reached, they actually do a print run. People that pre-ordered get the game at a discounted price, but they print enough copies to send out to shops/online retailers/etc as well.

1989 seems unlikely to be back in stock since it isn't even on P500 atm.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

GMT's system works like this: instead of doing regular print runs, they have a system called 'P500'. The idea of it is that they let people pre-order games (either reprints of previously printed games or brand new games), and once 500 pre-orders are reached, they actually do a print run. People that pre-ordered get the game at a discounted price, but they print enough copies to send out to shops/online retailers/etc as well.

So what you're telling me is that Fields of Fire 2nd edition, with its 917 copieds ordered, is bound to ship any day now? :neckbeard:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

So what you're telling me is that Fields of Fire 2nd edition, with its 917 copieds ordered, is bound to ship any day now? :neckbeard:
Don't even joke :reject:

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
It should be pointed out that while 500 orders is the official "Made the Cut" mark, that's just a green light for GMT to start finalising the product. There can still be months of playtesting, final artwork, rules tweaks and the like before the game hits production, plus other more popular games queue jumping in the production schedule.

It's also possible, but quite rare, for games to be removed from the P500 list even if they have over 500 orders.

Note that when you order a P500 game, you won't be told how much the shipping will be. GMT's shipping rates are pretty good, but you can always get an estimation by looking at the shipping cost of an existing GMT game that will have a similar physical weight.

You won't be charged for your P500 order until the game hits the aptly named "Charging" stage. Until that point, you're free to cancel (or increase) your order. Charging occurs within a month or two of the game being printed, and you'll get an email telling you that your order is about to hit charging, so you can review your order in case you've moved or your credit card has changed.

GMT used to try to aim for a game to hit charging when it had 700 orders, but now that we live in a world of COIN games getting 900 pre-orders in two days, you just have to watch the GMT production schedule updates, which can be viewed on their site, or in their newsletter.

Once the game hits "Shipping Now" the P500 discount rate is removed and the game is essentially out of the P500 system. Unfortunately P500 orders can't be combined with non-P500 orders, nor will they be shipped with other P500 orders, even if they are released at the same time. Which sucks because you always want more GMT counter trays.

GMT also usually has a fall sale where everyone can get games for a discount, but people who have received P500 games that year will get a greater one. Last year was 20% off for everyone, and 50% off a game for each P500 game you received that year plus one (so if you got 2 P500 games that year, you'd be able to buy 3 games at 50% off).

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Does anyone have any recent experiences with overseas shipping (I live in the UK) and customs with P500 orders? I want to preorder Cuba Libre and Falling Skies but have heard horror stories about massive customs charges, so wondered if anyone had some up to date news on that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Don't do it. I P500ed fitl and it cost the same as retail (or slightly above it) and came in after it was in the shops. It wasn't really worth it and I did it just because I was worried that fitl was going to sell out.

I'm also in the UK.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Anyone played Dark Moon / BSG Express? Stronghold games put up preorders for it recently. Supposedly it's a game using parts of BSG's mechanics that plays in 60-75 minutes. It sounds pretty appealing, albeit subject to the same potential cheating of Roll for the Galaxy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the consensus opinion on Orleans, for those of you who have been able to play it? I kick started and forgot about it until I saw the recent email. How excited or disappointed should I be? I just hope that if its bad I can sell it for a good price with the KS exclusive stuff.

I wasn't amazed. It seemed pretty unbalanced, and I didn't find it very enjoyable for what it was.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I've never seen or heard anyone talk about Ora et Labora even though it is top 50 on BGG and a Uwe Rosenberg game. What's the quick rundown of this one? I love Agricola and Le Havre and have played a few other of his games (Caverna for one), so it seems like something I might be interested in? Or is it just not worth it if you have the others?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

I wasn't amazed. It seemed pretty unbalanced, and I didn't find it very enjoyable for what it was.

Thank you. I can hopefully get rid of it at the same price, or higher. Shouldn't be too hard with the wooden pieces. Might use that money and finally get caverna.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

I've never seen or heard anyone talk about Ora et Labora even though it is top 50 on BGG and a Uwe Rosenberg game. What's the quick rundown of this one? I love Agricola and Le Havre and have played a few other of his games (Caverna for one), so it seems like something I might be interested in? Or is it just not worth it if you have the others?
Ora & Labira is the game for that guy that complains that Agricola ends 'just as you get your engine going!'. All the excitement of running your engine several times! It's up there with one if the most boring games I've ever played and I have extremely high tolerence.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Tekopo posted:

Ora & Labira is the game for that guy that complains that Agricola ends 'just as you get your engine going!'. All the excitement of running your engine several times! It's up there with one if the most boring games I've ever played and I have extremely high tolerence.

That's pretty much how it was described to me from a guy who did complain about Agricola.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EvilChameleon posted:

Unlike clueless Tekopo, I love Ora et Labora. A game I will always play, lots of decisions that make a difference. A far wider strategy space than LeHavre, which I think it compares most to. It's not very similar to Agricola or Caverna, although it is worker placement.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'd agree with both sides. I found it extremely boring, but also completely unlike Agricola!

To be a bit more useful, I dislike the "all the options are all there and everyone takes forever to choose, including me, and there's basically no differences game to game as to what's available" of O&L and Caverna, as it happens. So take my opinion with a bit of salt.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 29, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lorini posted:

Unlike clueless Tekopo, I love Ora et Labora. A game I will always play, lots of decisions that make a difference. A far wider strategy space than LeHavre, which I think it compares most to. It's not very similar to Agricola or Caverna, although it is worker placement.
How dare you have a different opinion from me!

But yeah, some people really seem to like it, but after playing Agricola and la havre it never really seemed to have that much pressure. I do think people should try o&l but the time I played it I just had a really bad time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You know I was kidding :). The big hit against it is that there are no random factors. I can tell you I've played the game over 30 times (which is a ton for me) and it's never been the same. People just make different choices that lead to other different choices for other players.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Are there any good town/city-building games that don't feature colonialist baggage like Puerto Rico and Archipelago?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Someone sell me Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and any other sets you have.

Or let me know anywhere that has it in stock.

Zurui posted:

Are there any good town/city-building games that don't feature colonialist baggage like Puerto Rico and Archipelago?

Suburbia?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Someone sell me Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin and any other sets you have.

if you are in the bay area CA or willing to pay shipping, have I got a deal for you.

I have thunderstone, advance: towers of ruin, advance: caverns of bane, doomgate legion, and thornwood siege that I want to get rid of. Most are opened with the decks still sealed.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Zurui posted:

*cough* gentrification *cough*

If you define "town" a bit loosely, Dungeon Lords is a good one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Malloreon posted:

if you are in the bay area CA or willing to pay shipping, have I got a deal for you.

I have thunderstone, advance: towers of ruin, advance: caverns of bane, doomgate legion, and thornwood siege that I want to get rid of. Most are opened with the decks still sealed.

Yeah dude, email me at defeldus@gmail.com

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ora et Labora also makes it extremely difficult to keep track of who's ahead and by how much. It is point salad to the extreme, with just too many options to score points.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How about Urban Sprawl?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Zurui posted:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Suburbia, Urban Sprawl, Carcassonne, Keyflower, Tigris and Euphrates.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bottom Liner posted:

Is this something people are actually looking for? I think I have this. We played it once long ago and never played it again. Weird thing is, I can't really remember anything about it. That's usually not a good sign.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Or let me know anywhere that has it in stock.

I'll sell you mine if you want it. All the cards are sleeved.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

How about Urban Sprawl?

I love Urban Sprawl but it is controlled chaos. You need to play the game a few times to really get an understanding of how to play well, similar to his other game Dominant Species. Most people I played it with didn't like it, but it plays well two player and I have another person to play it with.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Lorini posted:

You know I was kidding :). The big hit against it is that there are no random factors. I can tell you I've played the game over 30 times (which is a ton for me) and it's never been the same. People just make different choices that lead to other different choices for other players.

So it's like Caverna in that it is always the same? That's a bit of a turn-off for me. One of the big things I like about Agricola is the insane amount of different stuff you get every time.

nimby posted:

Ora et Labora also makes it extremely difficult to keep track of who's ahead and by how much. It is point salad to the extreme, with just too many options to score points.

I don't necessarily find this to be a negative, I mean this is every Feld game and those don't bother me, but they also aren't always the most exciting, either. Thanks for the input, goons. I'll see if someone I know has it and wants to show it to me, but I will go with tempered expectations.

taser rates posted:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Suburbia, Urban Sprawl, Carcassonne, Keyflower, Tigris and Euphrates.

Keyflower is settling a new land, it could be construed as colonialist. I mean, not to the same extent as Puerto Rico and Archipelago. I'd definitely go with Castles of Mad King Ludwig, though, because you can physically see the thing you're building and it isn't an abstraction (I mean, it's a 2D abstraction I guess) and you are working for a crazy person which is, to me, more fun than being colonialist. At least you're only screwing your own people.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

EvilChameleon posted:

Keyflower is settling a new land, it could be construed as colonialist. I mean, not to the same extent as Puerto Rico and Archipelago. I'd definitely go with Castles of Mad King Ludwig, though, because you can physically see the thing you're building and it isn't an abstraction (I mean, it's a 2D abstraction I guess) and you are working for a crazy person which is, to me, more fun than being colonialist. At least you're only screwing your own people.

I had considered that yea, considering the name is playing off of the Mayflower, but it doesn't have literal portrayals of slaves or natives at least, just some nice village tiles.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I haven't played Le Havre but Ora et Labora is like the ultimate resource conversion game, but it's super dry. Unlike Agricola it just showers you with resources, and developing and planning how you want to lay out your land can be interesting. I kinda like it but it's too long and very dry like I said, so unless you like pure point generating games you may not get into it.

I've been enjoying Glass Road recently which is also all about generating and converting resources, but has an interesting role selection mechanic which makes it feel more unique and plays in like 1/4 of the time as OeL with more variation to each game with all the different buildings. I'd get GR over OeL, especially with OeL being hard to find.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EBag posted:

I've been enjoying Glass Road recently which is also all about generating and converting resources, but has an interesting role selection mechanic which makes it feel more unique and plays in like 1/4 of the time as OeL with more variation to each game with all the different buildings. I'd get GR over OeL, especially with OeL being hard to find.

I have stayed away from Glass Road after it managed to to pass playtesting with in infinite resource loop intact. Is it worth trying?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Malloreon posted:

I have stayed away from Glass Road after it managed to to pass playtesting with in infinite resource loop intact. Is it worth trying?

Yes, and that's a really silly reason not to play it. The infinite loop relies on those specific buildings coming out, and newer printings of the game have one of them removed to prevent it EVER happening. And besides, you can build plenty of powerful non-infinite resource engines anyway, but the game still isn't dominated by them, so who cares. Plus, the role selection mechanic is really good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

taser rates posted:

I'll sell you mine if you want it. All the cards are sleeved.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is this something people are actually looking for? I think I have this. We played it once long ago and never played it again. Weird thing is, I can't really remember anything about it. That's usually not a good sign.

Yeah, email me defeldus@gmail.com!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

lol at everyone jumping to sell you their Thunderstone sets, it should tell you something about the game that so many people are eager to part with it :ssh:

I would offer to sell you my copy of Thunderstone Advance: Numenera on the cheap, but I expect the shipping hassle would not be worth the effort. It will forever be my cross to bare, poisoning my mind and whispering in my ear"Don't buy Dominion, you already have a deck builder, that would be wasteful!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

"Don't buy Dominion, you already have a deck builder, that would be wasteful!"

No, you really don't

EBag
May 18, 2006

Malloreon posted:

I can't say I've heard about the infinite resource loop, and seems like something that may only be a problem in very rare instances where just the right buildings happen to come out? There are a lot of buildings in the game and only a few come out each play.

I've played it a few times with 2 and a few times solo which is actually ok even though I never really like playing solo. It feels like micro OeL as it's all about converting resources, building buildings for points and new conversions and has a similar spatial consideration to OeL(put this building next to ponds, other buildings, etc.). The role selection is sort of reminiscent of action selection in RftG. You want to get certain resources from them but you also want to be wary of ones you think your opponent might pick so that you can maximize getting the most from the ones you need, and getting in on/diminishing ones they pick. It can feel very tight though, maybe almost a little too short, but I happen to like it and you can always do an extra round if it feels too quick.

I liked OeL despite the dryness, but GR does most of what I liked about it in a much more compact and manageable format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Rutibex posted:

"Don't buy Dominion, you already have a deck builder!"

This is one of those "This statement is false" style paradoxes, right?