Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

While technically true the military was effectively split several years before the CW started since Franklin Pierce appointed Jefferson Davis as his secretary of war and he used his time in office to move as much war material to the south as he could before things got kicked off.

Plus the regular army was only about 17,000 strong and service in its the ranks was popularly viewed as about half a step more respectable than being a career criminal.* Not exactly a comparable example to the modern military.

*this excludes commissioned officers, of course.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/texas-governor-abbott-orders-national-guard-military-takeover

quote:

Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday asked the State Guard to monitor a U.S. military training exercise dubbed "Jade Helm 15" amid Internet-fueled suspicions that the war simulation is really a hostile military takeover.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Naturally, Alex Jones thinks this is a FALSE FLAG!

quote:

Is this statement meant to have citizens let their guard down, or is Gov. Abbott truly concerned about the Army’s mission?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The NY MTA has had enough of Pamela Geller winning first-amendment lawsuits and banned political ads entirely from public transit.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

haveblue posted:

The NY MTA has had enough of Pamela Geller winning first-amendment lawsuits and banned political ads entirely from public transit.

That's good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
NPR's Steve Inskeep would like us to know that unlike Ferguson, Baltimore is a friendly, non-racist city and he just can't figure out what happened

quote:

This week's Baltimore riot could not have happened to a nicer city.

Baltimore residents welcome strangers and even call them "hon." They sit on benches painted with the slogan "The Greatest City in America."

quote:

For one thing, the uprising did not bring a black populace into confrontation with an overwhelmingly white police force, as happened in Ferguson, Mo., last year.

Baltimore, a majority black city, has a black mayor and a black police commissioner whose force is about half black.

This reality was plain to Taiwan Parker, who lives in the neighborhood where Gray was arrested. He told us that police-community relations have long been sour. And yet, he said, "It ain't no race thing — it's not a race thing at all."

quote:

Volunteers delivered sack lunches to children. The kids had lost their free lunches when the schools closed due to violence.

There was also food for grownups. In a more prosperous neighborhood, Bob McCulley offered a plate of jalapeno corn muffins and more.

That's Baltimore: the place you get offered a wide selection of snacks in a riot zone.

McCulley is a retired cop. We met him in front of a strip mall. The shops included his wife's looted hardware store.

He said he and his wife arrived at the damaged store on Monday night to find neighbors waiting for them to help clean up the mess.

They were friendly neighbors — who worked alongside friendly looters at the shop next door.

I have no idea what the point of this story was other than to remind me that firing Bob Edwards was the first in a long chain of credibility-busting moves by NPR.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.vice.com/read/david-simon-talks-about-where-the-baltimore-police-went-wrong-429

quote:

How does race figure into this? It's a city with a black majority and now a black mayor and black police chief, a substantially black police force.
What did Tom Wolfe write about cops? They all become Irish? That's a line in Bonfire of the Vanities. When Ed and I reported The Corner, it became clear that the most brutal cops in our sector of the Western District were black. The guys who would really kick your rear end without thinking twice were black officers. If I had to guess and put a name on it, I'd say that at some point, the drug war was as much a function of class and social control as it was of racism. I think the two agendas are inextricably linked, and where one picks up and the other ends is hard to say. But when you have African American officers beating the dog-piss out of people they're supposed to be policing, and there isn't a white guy in the equation on a street level, it's pretty remarkable.

So anyway, The Wire was great.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Stultus Maximus posted:

NPR's Steve Inskeep would like us to know that unlike Ferguson, Baltimore is a friendly, non-racist city and he just can't figure out what happened

I have no idea what the point of this story was other than to remind me that firing Bob Edwards was the first in a long chain of credibility-busting moves by NPR.

Steve Inskeep is a serial self-owner in the race to be ~reasonable~

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean seriously, the answer for "how could these things in Baltimore possibly be happening" is literally "watch the Wire, it's a good show and will answer all your questions regarding this matter"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I will not countenance disrespect to Texas' state military. Pistols at dawn, Mr Jones.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JT Jag posted:

I mean seriously, the answer for "how could these things in Baltimore possibly be happening" is literally "watch the Wire, it's a good show and will answer all your questions regarding this matter"

quote:

The drug war began it, certainly, but the stake through the heart of police procedure in Baltimore was [former Mayor and Maryland Governor] Martin O'Malley . He destroyed police work in some real respects. Whatever was left of it when he took over the police department, if there were two bricks together that were the suggestion of an edifice that you could have called meaningful police work, he found a way to pull them apart. Everyone thinks I've got a hard-on for Marty because we battled over The Wire, whether it was bad for the city, whether we'd be filming it in Baltimore. But it's been years, and I mean, that's over. I shook hands with him on the train last year and we buried it. And, hey, if he's the Democratic nominee, I'm going to end up voting for him. It's not personal and I admire some of his other stances on the death penalty and gay rights. But to be honest, what happened under his watch as Baltimore's mayor was that he wanted to be governor. And at a certain point, with the crime rate high and with his promises of a reduced crime rate on the line, he put no faith in real policing.

If given a choice between two devils to assfuck you dry, you can choose the one with the smaller cock. Of, you can start burning things.

What I wonder is, how long can you keep up a system where no matter how you choose you end up with a bleeding rectum?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JT Jag posted:

Corollary being "you are not an expert on Baltimore because you watched the Wire"

Not that the Wire is a bad show, sure it's a good start

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
If you're going to consume one piece of media simon has created you should read the corner, no question whatsoever.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Corollary being "you are not an expert on Baltimore because you watched the Wire"

No one said that.

The Wire is about Baltimore as much as Parks and Recreation is about their fictional town: a lot. The Wire is very realistic in comparison.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No one said that.

The Wire is about Baltimore as much as Parks and Recreation is about their fictional town: a lot. The Wire is very realistic in comparison.

It came up in an earlier version of this thread (I think) where someone asserted The Wire was all you needed to understand Baltimore generally and Baltimore policing in particular, which is what I suspect ZG is tryin' to head off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Baltimore's ports are shutting down for one day to support the protesters. Union mandated.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No one said that.

Basically that.

Lots of folks think that watching the wire gives them some deep insight I'm just posting that as a warning not accusing anyone.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

As long as we're quoting and discussing David Simon's take on the situation in Baltimore, I'll go ahead and add this to the pile. (I don't think this was already linked in this thread but apologies if I overlooked it)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

I can't determine whether I'm amused that Texas is going gearing up for an imaginary war, or terrified that Texas has its own private army.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Joementum posted:

The House is currently voting on a resolution that allows it to pretend that a budget has been passed so that it can bring up appropriations bills.
Amazing. This loving Congress.

SirKibbles posted:

The people who think that their AR-15 is going to stop a government overthrow seem to not understand modern combat hint: get anti air guns. It's so dumb if you legit thought that the 2nd amendment was your last line of defense and you already thought the government was tyrannical why spend more on the military.

To be fair their is some truth to it you kinda of do need a gently caress you button but your AR-15 against jets aren't it.
Hey now, if those jets were F-35s, guys with rifles might stand a chance.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Has any news station, or the police, talked about gray beyond the fact that he died, such as how? (I kind of already know)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Family Values posted:

As long as we're quoting and discussing David Simon's take on the situation in Baltimore, I'll go ahead and add this to the pile. (I don't think this was already linked in this thread but apologies if I overlooked it)

I just posted that. On this very page. Apology accepted.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I heard that this morning and it had the worst forced poignant closing line I've ever heard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SquadronROE posted:

I can't determine whether I'm amused that Texas is going gearing up for an imaginary war, or terrified that Texas has its own private army.

Did you read the article? Nothing you posted makes sense in the context of what is happening.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

gently caress i love dude's sign

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I too, love jesus and sideburns

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Woah I thought Parks and Recreation ended

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Last time I was in Baltimore they were offering "Slum tours" so we could get "the real Wire experience". It was the most offensively booj thing I've ever seen. What are we, British colonials?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Good Citizen posted:

I don't even know what to think about my fellow Texans any more. Even if any of this exercise was questionable, why would anyone think the military would lump Texas together with California as "hostile". I mean if Texas is "hostile" that would make California the promised land.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

CommieGIR posted:

Baltimore's ports are shutting down for one day to support the protesters. Union mandated.

Port of Oakland too.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

People actually purchase and wear the "miss me" W clothing? That can't be real

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Also if the military was planning to take over Texas then I doubt attending a town hall holding a sign with 4 different slogans on it is going to make them withdraw. Maybe one extremely poignant slogan

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

Basically that.

Lots of folks think that watching the wire gives them some deep insight I'm just posting that as a warning not accusing anyone.

The funny thing about pointing to the Wire as a means of understanding Baltimore's problems is the show was largely about the Sun and other media failing to do their job, but turns out what you need to know to understand the current situation in the city is in fact covered fairly succinctly by the Sun:

http://data.baltimoresun.com/news/police-settlements/

quote:

Those cases detail a frightful human toll. Officers have battered dozens of residents who suffered broken bones — jaws, noses, arms, legs, ankles — head trauma, organ failure, and even death, coming during questionable arrests. Some residents were beaten while handcuffed; others were thrown to the pavement.

And in almost every case, prosecutors or judges dismissed the charges against the victims — if charges were filed at all. In an incident that drew headlines recently, charges against a South Baltimore man were dropped after a video showed an officer repeatedly punching him — a beating that led the police commissioner to say he was “shocked.”

Such beatings, in which the victims are most often African-Americans, carry a hefty cost. They can poison relationships between police and the community, limiting cooperation in the fight against crime, the mayor and police officials say. They also divert money in the city budget — the $5.7 million in taxpayer funds paid out since January 2011 would cover the price of a state-of-the-art rec center or renovations at more than 30 playgrounds. And that doesn’t count the $5.8 million spent by the city on legal fees to defend these claims brought against police.

“These officers taint the whole department when they create these kinds of issues for the city,” said City Council President Bernard C. “Jack” Young. “I’m tired of the lawsuits that cost the city millions of dollars by some of these police officers.”

City policies help to shield the scope and impact of beatings from the public, even though Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake acknowledges that police brutality was one of the main issues broached by residents in nine recent forums across Baltimore.

The city’s settlement agreements contain a clause that prohibits injured residents from making any public statement — or talking to the news media — about the incidents. And when settlements are placed on the agenda at public meetings involving the mayor and other top officials, the cases are described using excerpts from police reports, with allegations of brutality routinely omitted. State law also helps to shield the details, by barring city officials from discussing internal disciplinary actions against the officers — even when a court has found them at fault.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

joeburz posted:

People actually purchase and wear the "miss me" W clothing? That can't be real

I forget who originally said this but it's pretty apt: modern conservatives are entirely unable to differentiate between policies that have failed and policies that they simply don't like.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

mlmp08 posted:

Did you read the article? Nothing you posted makes sense in the context of what is happening.

I did not, but now I have. The article just made me more confused. Is the State Guard there to make sure the Federal government doesn't accidentally shell a school? What's the point of calling the State Guard out?

Nope, wait, I think I understand now. People are scared the government will take their stuff. State Guard will keep the government away from their stuff.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 29, 2015

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Harry Reid, Trollmaster-General: Game recognize game

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
"I don't think I've ever seen an Hispanic panhandler."- Ted Cruz (his longstanding position)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

karlor posted:

"I don't think I've ever seen an Hispanic panhandler."- Ted Cruz (his longstanding position)

Canada isn't known for its large hispanic population, now are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Good Citizen posted:

Also if the military was planning to take over Texas then I doubt attending a town hall holding a sign with 4 different slogans on it is going to make them withdraw. Maybe one extremely poignant slogan

It's how conspiracy theorists work. They posit that the next big news thing is REALLY a planned takeover of the government and martial law will be enacted, so they raise a huge fuss. When nothing of the sort happens (because, obviously, it was never what they thought it was), they pat themselves on the back for "defending freedom" as if they personally scared the government away from doing anything.

That said, the whole "You can't beat the government because they have nukes and jets and tanks" deal is still kinda stupid because it ignores the general history of modern armed rebellions and assumes that the US government would be willing to just nuke small towns and that soldiers will indiscriminately blow up their own country when told to.

• Locked thread