Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

I actually had this happen to me once. Most days I make it though entire day with 30% battery left. Yesterday I left home at 11am and by 3pm the watch was at 10% battery. Sounds like a software issue...

Wound up doing this to the Workout app and it my battery life has gone down 1% in 45 minutes after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0RY8gYnQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DJCobol posted:

Found my first complaint about the watch, or specifically email on the watch. Work emails coming from Exchange/Outlook are set to have a blue font by default (which I loving hate), and that blue font makes it hard to read the replies on the watch because it blends into the background.

That's weird that the watch displays email styling at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

smackfu posted:

That's weird that the watch displays email styling at all.

Yeah bizarre that it would just do black on white or w/e

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
First day with the watch, 65% after the whole day. Granted, I didn't use it a ton, but the battery life is looking to be good enough.

I think it drains the phone battery noticeably more, but I couldn't say for sure yet.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I got to spend the day with the wifes pink 38 that I picked up from UPS on my way to work. It started out at 70 something percent and I proceeded to kill the poo poo out of the battery. Granted I won't be obsessing over it in the future. Now back to the wait for mine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I think it drains the phone battery noticeably more, but I couldn't say for sure yet.
Might be some random issue with the watch app:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/27/apple-watch-battery-issues-solutions/

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

This is literally 'you're holding it wrong' and isn't an answer.

There is no answer, the sensors rely on the transmission of light through your skin.

If you're the kind of moron to get sleeve tatoos it's amazing you've even got a job that allows you to afford a watch.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I mean, if you got sleeve tattoos you have already made a life decision that you knew would prohibit you from doing certain things. This would be an issue if Apple had a strict return policy, but seeing as you have 14 days to figure out that your tattoos are cockblocking your new toy from working properly, just return it.

Still it is funny that it doesn't work on sleeves since a poo poo ton of apple store employees have sleeves and plugs.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

theperminator posted:

There is no answer, the sensors rely on the transmission of light through your skin.

If you're the kind of moron to get sleeve tatoos it's amazing you've even got a job that allows you to afford a watch.

Wow. Thank you very much.

You know that a dress shirt goes up to the wrist right?
Anyway. Mine actually stop at the point where I fold my shirt sleeve for work reasons so I can get an Apple watch :)
Anyway. I will go back to my day job robbing old ladies at the bus stop to see if I can buy one. They have fancy security at the Apple stores. Tim :argh:

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 30, 2015

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EpicNemesis posted:

I mean, if you got sleeve tattoos you have already made a life decision that you knew would prohibit you from doing certain things. This would be an issue if Apple had a strict return policy, but seeing as you have 14 days to figure out that your tattoos are cockblocking your new toy from working properly, just return it.

Still it is funny that it doesn't work on sleeves since a poo poo ton of apple store employees have sleeves and plugs.

Sorry if they won't let you manage a Chikfila in your short sleeve button down with tattoo sleeves

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

theperminator posted:

Thanks Dad.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Apple will create a trend of sleeve tattoos with a watch hole.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

theperminator posted:

Ha, the director of marketing for a massively wealthy company that is one of our clients has two sleeves. Guess someone forgot to tell that company not to hire that moron?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I love how bent out of shape people are getting about tattoos. This is the most unexpected, but delightful Apple Watch *gate.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

io_burn posted:

I love how bent out of shape people are getting about tattoos. This is the most unexpected, but delightful Apple Watch *gate.

Sleevegate? Inkgate?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
People must be really regretting that Ice Wizard battling a wicked dragon right about now.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Just another way for people to feel justified in their purchases or 'sides' they take. Supporters of Apple will say it's not a big deal, and the militant ones will judge others for having tattoos. Non-supporters of Apple will ask, "Wow, how could they make such an oversight?! Just another reason Apple is garbage. #teamandroid". When in all reality it's just the technical fact that the sensor can't work properly with different tones when it's designed to work with one tone. I don't know how you could possibly calibrate something like this. I guess that puts me in the Apple apologists category but it's simply a technical issue blown out of proportion as usual. I remember people saying the dye from jeans was getting on the antenna bands on the new iPhones.

edit: I can't spell

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

yamdankee posted:

Just another way for people to feel justified in their purchases or 'sides' they take. Supporters of Apple will say it's not a big deal, and the militant ones will judge others for having tattoos. Non-supporters of Apple will ask, "Wow, how could they make such an oversight?! Just another reason Apple is garbage. #teamandroid". When in all reality it's just the technical fact that the sensor can't work properly with different tones when it's designed to work with one tone. I don't know how you could possibly calibrate something like this. I guess that puts me in the Apple apologists category but it's simply a technical issue blown out of proportion as usual. I remember people saying the dye from jeans was getting on the antenna bands on the new iPhones.

edit: I can't spell

It's not polite to paste from MacRumors without linking the thread so we can enjoy the responses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonoMan posted:

Ha, the director of marketing for a massively wealthy company that is one of our clients has two sleeves. Guess someone forgot to tell that company not to hire that moron?

Are you saying directors of marketing can't be huge morons? :v:

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

mobby_6kl posted:

Are you saying directors of marketing can't be huge morons? :v:

Anyone can be a huge moron. It is one of those non-discriminating traits.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Is it possible that Apple did test the watch on tattooed skin, saw that it didn't work, and just went "ah gently caress it" anyway? Is there even a technical way around that kind of issue?

Also lol at people jumping at any chance they can get to tell others how dumb they think tattoos are. We get it, man. You are the spitting image of an upstanding white collar professional and were always secretly envious of the cool tattooed kids but are too scared of commitment and/or the pain of needles.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm an upstanding white collar professional and think tattoo sleeves are pretty rad. Would likely give a lot of respect to someone who climbs corporate heights with a sleeve. I also think chicks with sleeves are pretty hot as well.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ShoogaSlim posted:

Is there even a technical way around that kind of issue?

My only thought is they could program the sensors to be able to realize, "oh hey these two areas of skin are drastically different in tone, adjusting per whatever results make the most sense." Or have that as a manual calibration option where you can tell sensor 2 to decrease blah blah blah. Now it's just getting silly. They probably got to that point and said, "Whatever negative publicity this creates isn't larger than the extra programming and resources it will take to tackle this edge case."

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Is there even a technical way around that kind of issue?

The sensor already supposedly tries to compensate for skin color etc by adjusting the intensity of the LEDs. However, it doesn't really matter it does if there's tattoo pigment in the way that either prevents the light from getting to the capillaries or absorbs the light on the way back...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'm sure that the v2 will have bioimpedance HR sensors like the Jawbone UP3 and use that for wrist detection instead. Apple reportedly wanted to use this but couldn't ship in time (like the UP3 and its ever-moving ship date goalposts). Apple's MO seems to be to wait and learn how other companies gently caress up the tech before using it themselves.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

just_a_guy posted:

Sleevegate? Inkgate?

Sleveghazi

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm sure that the v2 will have bioimpedance HR sensors like the Jawbone UP3 and use that for wrist detection instead. Apple reportedly wanted to use this but couldn't ship in time (like the UP3 and its ever-moving ship date goalposts). Apple's MO seems to be to wait and learn how other companies gently caress up the tech before using it themselves.

I seriously don't understand Jawbone's angle with their fitness trackers. Their entire schtick seems to be to release super bleeding-edge products that on paper would be absolutely amazing products that I'd love to have but in actual practical use are dogshit. Here's an excerpt from Wired's review of the Up3:

quote:

The $180 Up3, Jawbone’s latest wrist-worn fitness tracker, is very few of the things it promises to be. It’s wildly ambitious, and spectacularly flawed. Even after Jawbone took six extra months to improve and perfect it—thanks to production delays, because waterproofing is hard—it didn’t get it right. You shouldn’t buy it.

The first Up was so lovely they offered blanket refunds to everyone who bought it and just let everyone keep the device. Of course, so many of them broke so quickly it's anyone's guess how many of the people who took the $100 refund actually was still able to use it very long after checks went out... Up 2 was alright, but it basically was just years late to the market that Fitbit was already doing better with a device that was marginally better than the first one but significantly less hosed up. Up 2 was more like the Up 1, with the actual Up 1 being some kind of hosed up public beta or something.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Anyone order a 38 mm watch? Regrets on not getting the big version?

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Yes, no.

The difference in size between the two, unless you have them side by side, really isn't that big. Go with whatever suits your wrist best.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Dirk Pitt posted:

No regrets. It's perfectly sized for my dainty wrist and the battery life is great so far.

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

gret posted:

No regrets. It's perfectly sized for my dainty wrist and the battery life is great so far.

Been super impressed with the battery life on mine. For example - today - I took it off the charger at 7:45am, it's 5:30 now and my battery is still at 60%.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So does the sensor work on people with REALLY dark skin?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So does the sensor work on people with REALLY dark skin?

Yes

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

jot posted:

Been super impressed with the battery life on mine. For example - today - I took it off the charger at 7:45am, it's 5:30 now and my battery is still at 60%.

Same, I'm really happy with the battery and I'm glad all those idiots on Macrumors turned out to be wrong. I got up at 9am and used the watch pretty consistently all day, it's 10:40pm now and I'm sitting at 52%. I haven't done anything dumb like Macrumors have and disabled various things like the weather or the HR tracker.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

roboshit posted:

Same, I'm really happy with the battery and I'm glad all those idiots on Macrumors turned out to be wrong. I got up at 9am and used the watch pretty consistently all day, it's 10:40pm now and I'm sitting at 52%. I haven't done anything dumb like Macrumors have and disabled various things like the weather or the HR tracker.

I had a 10am to 11pm day today, including two hours of fitness tracking. 50% battery left. I actually think Apple could have gotten away with leaving the display on in a dimmed state all the time. It's AMOLED so it shouldn't kill the battery too bad...

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Just hit the 12hr mark on day 3 with mine with almost all notifications on, still at 52%. Bit of a weird question, but does anyone know of any suppliers offering the metal inserts for the watch bands? The company I work for is actively looking to make a few leather bands, as we're one of the oldest leather makers still based out of the US and we cannot find a single place that has these or even specs on them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Do none of you guys have jobs? Like 8 out of the 10 battery life posts have been like "yeah, used it from 10:30 this morning and at 7pm it still had 50%".

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do none of you guys have jobs? Like 8 out of the 10 battery life posts have been like "yeah, used it from 10:30 this morning and at 7pm it still had 50%".

GRAD SCHOOL RULES

(No it doesn't and I'm so glad I'm getting out)

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I have a job and I go to school for your intel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011

nerdrum posted:

Just hit the 12hr mark on day 3 with mine with almost all notifications on, still at 52%. Bit of a weird question, but does anyone know of any suppliers offering the metal inserts for the watch bands? The company I work for is actively looking to make a few leather bands, as we're one of the oldest leather makers still based out of the US and we cannot find a single place that has these or even specs on them.

...does it rhyme with More Ween?

• Locked thread