Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah it's true BIA provides a larger bonus to view range than recon. Personally though, I don't run BIA very often on my tanks. I retrained my WZ-120 crew to run it but only because they are already working on a 4th skill and the reload time gets reduced quite a bit with BIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Guess I underestimated camo skill. I had looked at the effect with an ability calculator page and it didn't seem to change the camo rating much but maybe I just misremembered.

Light tanks are probably the best bet since they keep their full camo rating while moving.

BiA I figured gets the most noticible effect on artillery since the reload and accuracy bonuses would be pretty big.

Crew skill scaling is weird, I read in the wiki that the % listed isn't actually the performance- for example a loader at 100% is actually loading at 104% efficiency?

So with vents, BiA, consumable, and commander, what do those higher numbers translate to? If I had a loader at 120% does that mean the base load time is being cut by 24%?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

How it works is that at 100% skill, your crew is performing at what the tank's listed stats claim. At 0% skill (IE, knocked out) they perform at 50% of the tank's listed values. Each 1% increase in crew skill is worth roughly .5% to the functional skill. A 121% crew (100% + BIA and vents, with the 11% from the commander) actually performs at about 110% in real terms. It's not *exactly* that due to how the math works, but it's close enough. With all that and consumables, somewhere around 115-116% in real performance.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 29, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Uranium 235 posted:

Win 900 gold in May by showing up and not being a bot:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/may-mission/

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ah so looks like WG is up to something weird? https://www.facebook.com/WorldOfTanks.NA

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Panfilo posted:

People swear by camo skill, but the benefit, even with a full camo crew is rather marginal to your camo rating.

This is wrong. At 100% camo on all crew members you almost double your tank's camo rating. That's a gigantic loving bonus, but its utility depends on your tank's native camo rating, since it's multiplicative. On tanks with bad native camo (heavies) it does effectively nothing. On most high tier mediums (except the E-50) it's incredibly valuable and on lights and Soviet mediums it's mandatory. Keep in mind camo nets and camo skill stack so you are effectively completely invisible in a tank with good native camo and both active.

e: beaten like seven times over

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Panfilo posted:

The gunner and driver skills are good and synergize well. Snap shot and smooth ride make you more effective on the move, armorer and preventative maintenance make you more survivable.

I would think the commander's Mentor ability would be good to take early on, since the XP bonus will apply that much longer.

Most of the benefit to many of these skills seems to simply free up module space. Repairs so you don't need a toolbox, safe stowage so you don't need wet ammo rack, etc. You could still take these things since they stack, but then you won't have room for equipment that might be more useful. Gun rammer, for example is so useful on so many tanks; it is difficult to get the equivalent benefit elsewhere. Combined with improved vents it makes a very noticible improvement to fire rate.

People swear by camo skill, but the benefit, even with a full camo crew is rather marginal to your camo rating. That, and since the ability is averaged over all crew members, you get much less variety on large crew tanks. Since sixth sense has a 3 second delay it is difficult to really see how much harder you are to spot with the ability.

You were asking about crewskills two pages ago, and now you're an expert on what to tell people to do? gently caress, dude.

Get sixth sense first.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TheFluff posted:

This is wrong. At 100% camo on all crew members you almost double your tank's camo rating. That's a gigantic loving bonus, but its utility depends on your tank's native camo rating, since it's multiplicative. On tanks with bad native camo (heavies) it does effectively nothing. On most high tier mediums (except the E-50) it's incredibly valuable and on lights and Soviet mediums it's mandatory. Keep in mind camo nets and camo skill stack so you are effectively completely invisible in a tank with good native camo and both active.

e: beaten like seven times over

I already said I must have misread something about it. And I knew camo nets stack with it as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Southern Dandy posted:

You were asking about crewskills two pages ago, and now you're an expert on what to tell people to do? gently caress, dude.

Get sixth sense first.

Never said I was an expert.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wtf is Armored Warfae

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Ah so looks like WG is up to something weird? https://www.facebook.com/WorldOfTanks.NA

Looks like maybe a new map or game mode with repair stations and/or resupply(spawn) points? That would be my guess just based on those pictures.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Mans posted:

wtf is Armored Warfae

Not a fantasy MMO where you can play a fairy knight riding around on bees, unfortunately.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How is the american turretless TD line? The tank destroyers with turrets are neat since you can set up somewhere and never have to traverse to line up a shot, and shooting at tanks while going around a corner more easily, but the tradeoff seems to be a slow traverse , mostly open topped turrets, and pretty thin armor.

I see a lot of hellcats/Jacksons but rarely see turretless american tank destroyers which make me wonder if they are pretty mediocre compared to other nations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Looks like maybe a new map or game mode with repair stations and/or resupply(spawn) points? That would be my guess just based on those pictures.

Well we know that they've been working on garage battles for ages now. I guess they finally found a model that worked.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

How is the american turretless TD line? The tank destroyers with turrets are neat since you can set up somewhere and never have to traverse to line up a shot, and shooting at tanks while going around a corner more easily, but the tradeoff seems to be a slow traverse , mostly open topped turrets, and pretty thin armor.

I see a lot of hellcats/Jacksons but rarely see turretless american tank destroyers which make me wonder if they are pretty mediocre compared to other nations.

They're atrociously slow but they have legitimate armour, and generally better soft stats. The tier 7 is another Jpanther/122-44.

The E3 is good. The others are mostly arty bait.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Panfilo posted:

Never said I was an expert.

That's good cause you're far from it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Southern Dandy posted:

That's good cause you're far from it.

:drat:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Panfilo posted:

The T28/T95 are really frustrating to play with 18(!) and 13(!!) kph movement speed. Arty will dunk on you at will and much of time you can't even get to the fight before it's either totally lost or the enemy has already been smashed, it happens alot. At least the T95 has great frontal armor and acceptable side armor, the T28 gets a laughable 50mm of side armor and its flat lower plate will let tier 8s and up punch through it frequently. T25 is basically just a Jpanther clone, which is decent, I guess. E3 owns bones though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

srb posted:

They give guaranteed "early access", with "early access" meaning "a few days before the open beta". So it's open beta access +1? Weird.

I will throw them my money just to get out of WOT finally. Honestly I quit playing once botes alpha went 24/7 and I don't miss it at all. I do log in to play a round or two just to remind myself how much I suck at it but now instead of sitting there in a fail cascade I can go play something else. AW alpha was fun so if you get a chance to play when beta goes live give it a shot.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dn't understand why people play video games they hate

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mans posted:

Stockholm's Syndrome

Chaosprime
Sep 30, 2014
I can get view cap in both my 13 90 and my WZ-132 using coated optics. Should I use Coated Optics over Binos?

Side question, should I ditch camo nets in both for vents? If so, what should my crew camo skill be before doing so? Recently got to my third skill in my 13 90 so have taken BiA, and as a result my camo skill is only about 35% at the moment.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Kill time when there is nothing else interesting to do? I invested a lot of time into tanks and it was enjoyable but then as time wore on it became mind numbing and I burnt out. I thought taking an extended break would work but it only made it worse but I realized how much I dislike it. There isn't anything terrible about that is there?

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Stop playing if you don't like it. There, I solved your problem.

I like this game. For all the complaints I have, I still come back because of the variety of play. I was out of state last week, and when I came back, I wanted to drink bourbon and play tanks.

No one is holding you here. If this game upsets you, uninstall. Nobody is forcing you to play; nobody is forcing you to like tanks. You want to quit? I can give you directions to the control panel in Windows.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If you want to stop playing, give me your account. I'll see to it that it ends up banned swiftly.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'm still debating if I want to buy the founders packs or not. The game was decent fun but god drat the balancing of vehicles is messed up and they have yet to solve their super bad mouse acceleration problems when in sniper mode.

Right now it's either founders pack or buying gold for free exp into the AMX 30 prototype.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Hellsau posted:

If you want to stop playing, give me your account. I'll see to it that it ends up banned swiftly.

Or sell it to a stupid person in my clan for 800$.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Chillyrabbit posted:

Holy poo poo someone in your clan is paying 800 dollars for an account? What is he looking for in an account? For 800 dollars I'm willing to sell my account right away.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 30, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chillyrabbit posted:

Jesus wtf is he smoking?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Chillyrabbit posted:

Sold.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Panfilo posted:

T67 still the best, with a full camo crew and 6th sense it's near invisible. It just runs out of ammo a lot.

Oh yeah, isn't BIA and vents a must have for autoloaders, just about every streamer I've watched has it on theirs.

Fat Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 30, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gently caress off bitch I got dibs already.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Agrajag posted:

Holy poo poo someone in your clan is paying 800 dollars for an account? What is he looking for in an account? For 800 dollars I'm willing to sell my account right away.

demonR6 posted:

Jesus wtf is he smoking?

Can't remember what he bought exactly but he did spend 800$ I think it had like 15 tier 10's, all the tier 8 prems, (no rare ones like type 59 or anything.) and is genuinely retarded or at least autistic I think. It was bobross's account apparently so it had unicum stats?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

God loving dammit. It hurts knowing bob ross got that much money.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

Cashier's check, or paypal?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fat Jesus posted:

Oh yeah, isn't BIA and vents a must have for autoloaders, just about every streamer I've watched has it on theirs.

I thought the catch with autoloaders is that you can't improve the rate of fire of the individual shots, only reloading the magazine? So BiA+vents is only benefitting you when you change mags. I guess it reduces times you would be vulnerable to getting jumped while changing the magazine. Still useful, but BiA, vents, and rammer seems like it would have a bigger impact on the regular guns; they shoot slower than the autoloader guns but the benefit and downtime is more consistent.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's so you don't miss.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Artillery seems like it takes the longest to reach tier X by far. A big problem is that if you are terrible and busting your rear end up to being mediocre with other tanks, you'll probably die really fast and uselessly. This at least frees up the bad player to level up other tanks/accumulate free xp.

But with artillery, you can be really bad yet still end up the last player alive. So you end up spending 5x as much time earning the same ~150xp in a losing match but you get far less games completed in the same time. This means less time practicing on different maps and less time to learn to improve.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Prav posted:

It's so you don't miss.

Oh, so the accuracy bloom/reset between shots? That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

ELI PORTER posted:

When I was playing a lot last year I used Gnomefather's gun sounds mod for a time, because I really liked those sounds versus the default. However, I eventually had to switch back to the default sounds because Gnomefather's kept causing 0.5 - 2 second stutters and microfreeze issues. Does anyone know if that has been worked out, or if there is a similar mod that doesn't have the same issues?

There is still a performance hit but I haven't noticed the annoying client hang ups recently. I run WoT off an SSD which is a massive aid to load times and generally smooth performance but when Gnomefather's sound mod was acting up even that didn't help.

So far Vito's sounds are playing nice too. I'm really liking them.