Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Asehujiko posted:

Civilian here, how exactly is that not leaving anything that vaguely looks like equipment behind supposed to work in a high intensity conflict? Hold half the army in reserve at all times to be combat garbage collectors for the other half?

It doesn't work. See the trail of vehicles we left on Highway 1 in OIF 1. If it stopped working and couldn't be towed we dropped thermite on the engine block and took everything off it we could before leaving it on the side of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

It doesn't work. See the trail of vehicles we left on Highway 1 in OIF 1. If it stopped working and couldn't be towed we dropped thermite on the engine block and took everything off it we could before leaving it on the side of the road.

This. If it can't be recovered, it gets destroyed before it's abandoned. The only way functional/useful poo poo gets left behind is if no one's around to destroy it (i.e., everyone got hosed up), but in that case no one's left to blame either.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

safetyStanddown posted:

This. If it can't be recovered, it gets destroyed before it's abandoned. The only way functional/useful poo poo gets left behind is if no one's around to destroy it (i.e., everyone got hosed up), but in that case no one's left to blame either.

hah

there's always someone to blame

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Internet Wizard posted:

Dude needs to do some reading about the difference between NCOs and Officers if the reason he wants to go recon or specops but not as an officer is that he'll be missing important experience or whatever.

Also he's going to be making like half what he could as a civilian, even if he goes officer.

I know a guy who enlisted in the Army National Guard at 30 with an Information Systems BS, an almost completed masters and a GS job with DISA that netted him a TS\SCI. But he only did that because he wanted to go 18C and, in his own words, 'go blow poo poo up.' Now it's a couple of years later, he blew lots of stuff up and he's taking the warrant course so everything worked out okay :3:

Best part was his recruiter trying to get him to lie about smoking pot on his enlistment paperwork, even though he'd already copped to doing it on his TS/SCI paperwork. He ended up having to wait a couple of months for a waiver because he refused to incriminate himself.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LCL-Dead posted:

Police your own stuff?

Or do you mean like in Korea when US forces were on a regrouping march to the coast, leaving equipment in their wake?

lol yeah I was gonna say the withdrawal to Pusan basically provides the object lesson for what happens to equipment accountability in the US military when it gets its poo poo kicked in

Exhibit B would be the insane amount of poo poo that was demo'd in place or just straight up left behind during the last days in Vietnam/SEA.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Exhibit B would be the insane amount of poo poo that was demo'd in place or just straight up left behind during the last days in Vietnam/SEA.

Or thrown in the sea.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Terminal SPC makes his last daytime combat jump with pet fish, gets ninja punched.
http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/04/28/jumping-paratrooper-fish-selfie-update/26536155/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Two weeks of housework...he got off lighter than I expected.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

safetyStanddown posted:

Terminal SPC makes his last daytime combat jump with pet fish, gets ninja punched.
http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2015/04/28/jumping-paratrooper-fish-selfie-update/26536155/

quote:

He also wishes Willy had been punished as well.

"He thinks that this is the funniest thing in the world, and it's not," Tattersall said.

:golfclap:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The picture is what makes the story.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That dude owns.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Willie Makeit owns.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The only idiot in that story is whoever NJP'd him.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
What's the big deal, anyway? How is this more dangerous than all the other gear he's wearing? Is it considered FOD?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
No clue but I'm guessing it's just army being gay army people acting like a bunch of petty bitches, especially since he wasn't re-upping.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure he was guilty of HAVING A MODICUM OF FUN WHILE IN UNIFORM which we all know is usually a hanging offense

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
at least he isn't being shortsighted and trying to fight the power

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Got a cool picture and 12 more days of free money. Who cares.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The NJP was necessary to ensure no spineless bitches repeat the stunt (see: youtube asking out that hot actress to the Marine Corps Ball)

Also 82nd

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Zeris posted:

Also 82nd

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oh wow a dude actually does a thing that's clever, funny, and original

2 WEEKS OF EXTRA DUTY

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh wow a dude actually does a thing that's clever, funny, and original

2 WEEKS OF EXTRA DUTY

if im reading that article right, they extended his commitment date by 2 weeks to cover it, so if thats true thats hilarious, and he literally got paid extra to be a dumbass.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I really want to read the essay he wrote.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I really want to read the essay he wrote.

My favorite part is how this dude did an interview with the Army Times and said that he was upset that his fish thought all of this was hilarious because it was really serious.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So every month we get an email about people getting kicked out for various reasons. The winner this month was a TSgt who got three separate article 15s for sexual harassment and got busted down to E-2, plus 45 days hard labor and a discharge.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

My favorite part is how this dude did an interview with the Army Times and said that he was upset that his fish thought all of this was hilarious because it was really serious.

It really has played out about as well as it possibly could.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

A Kpro posted:

So every month we get an email about people getting kicked out for various reasons. The winner this month was a TSgt who got three separate article 15s for sexual harassment and got busted down to E-2, plus 45 days hard labor and a discharge.

Should have commissioned and he would have gotten away with it

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Should've been in Korea and it would've been a slap on the wrist.

According to the courts martials on the USFK page, Korea has gone back to giving O's and SNCO's a slap on the wrist whilst Joe is getting prison time and bad conduct discharges for the exact same crimes again.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
To be fair to the military on this (that was tough to type), a guy doing a jump with a goldfish and taking a selfie will inevitably lead to a guy doing a jump with something really stupid that could legit lead to someone getting killed.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

MegaJoe89 posted:

Lol I don't know about the US military but I know here if someone decided to loving enlist with all that jazz I would make his life as miserable as possible as would every other NCO and Officer, and throw the "oh so were basically done in Afghanistan and NOW you want to enlist?" And make sure he's sent on every EUTM and crappy UN peacekeeping gig imaginable. Hope you like Africa, biatch

please make sure this italian 12 year old dude who lvoes the army and wants to stay in it forever stays probated the entire time hes enlisted and pretends to be an officer and pretends to have a chance with a officer chick but doenst gently caress her cause hes a gay retard.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

With that name it's no wonder.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Wild T posted:

With that name it's no wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSuaAHY5kcs&t=35s

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

anne frank fanfic posted:

please make sure this italian 12 year old dude who lvoes the army and wants to stay in it forever stays probated the entire time hes enlisted and pretends to be an officer and pretends to have a chance with a officer chick but doenst gently caress her cause hes a gay retard.

Um details please

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Um details please

god dad just read both posters' histories

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

anne frank fanfic posted:

i got probated last time i smeared the great name of MegaJoewhateverthefuck

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cole posted:

:qq:

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Cole posted:

Shut up, Cole.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lazy Reservist posted:

Shut up, Cole.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
if you guys play in traffic long enough i promise the odds of never having to read another post by me go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cole posted:

if you guys play in traffic long enough i promise the odds of never having to read another post by me go up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0