Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Evilreaver posted:

I HAVE A DREAM

The tutorial planet teaches the basics- how to move, fight, mine, and recruit NPCs. Maybe there's a wounded guy-- why not a buddy who was in your escape pod, but didn't fare so well in the crash? He needs shelter ("NPCs need beds, doors, walls and lights!"), medicine herbs (which, along with food crops, are the base of Farming progression), protection from alien wolves, oh great now he's better and needs a gun so the two of you can hike up a mountain so your distress signal reaches space?

Alright, so a ship comes down and teleports you up, and kidnaps you and the captain is an rear end in a top hat. You break out and fight (you need control of the engine and bridge, do you dispatch your friend to one while you go to the other, or go together? Introducing the NPC Dispatch System tutorial!) So you blow up the ship, the captain gets to a shuttle, you beam aboard. And when you confront the pirate captain, you are given a choice, kill the captain or arrest him to give to the local Spacecops? Either way, now you have a Tier 1 ship. And the sandbox begins.

Your buddy doesn't have anything better to do, so he'll hang around until you dismiss him or something. He'll stay on the ship acting as a guide "Why not go [progress the story], [player]?" And you can ask him to come along on your self-guided missions. You're in a space-civ consellation, why not find an inhabited planet to get missions or a vacant world to claim?

Oh, some distress signals. Go or ignore? Story-important ones are clearly marked as important (and don't time out), others you can hunt down or ignore at your leisure. One teaches you about wormholes, another about Why The Big Bad Is A Jerk, another is a mining outpost and when you get there it's overrun with native wildlife. The boss of that last one is tired of dealing with the aliens you just made extinct, so he sells you the deed for cheap. Boom, Outpost Upgrade And Management tutorial.

Eventually your mining outpost either decays (if you don't man it) or is attacked (if you do), which then triggers a How To Defend Your poo poo tutorial.

You are taught how to make a Farming Outpost. They don't work well if there's industry on the same world, so there's a reason to colonize multiple worlds (or spend some resources on clean industry). This provides food and/or medicine you can use to feed NPCs you have under your 'rule' or you can trade to neutral/friendly civs. Medicine is worth more so it attracts more raiders. Different foods grow in different climates so you are encouraged to settle multiple worlds again. (Or build biodomes)

You are taught how to make Research Outposts. They're valuable and attract raiders, but you can hide them well underground so as long as there isn't something obvious (say, a mine or farm) on the surface to give them away, they're pretty safe. You can research all sorts of fun toys, techs, ships, weapons, armor, engines, mining and farming equipment, or just farm out your equipment to a civ for cash and favors. Larger labs and their reactors generate more heat and are thus harder to hide so you either need better defenses or, again, multiple planets.

So you're left to Skyrim the galaxy for a bit. If you focus on the main story, you can head off the Big Bad's plans and do good in the world, and it gives you juuuuust enough levels/gear/resources as quest rewards in order to get by. If you don't care, you get wealthy and/or powerful, but the BB starts conquering poo poo, and launches high-threat attacks both on NPC constellations as well as your own holdings. Powerful NPC Civs can resist for a while and start giving you "evac this planet", "hold the line", "attack this enemy base to take heat off us" missions, and food/medical supplies go way up in price so you can get :10bux: by fighting or merchanting. If you interact closely with a civ, they do very well in resisting the BB and can hold forever as you and they level up.

As the game progresses, the Big Bad gets mad at you (either for directly opposing him or for indirectly supporting your allies) and Death Star's a planet you like and/or Ups The Stakes in some way. Maybe two or three times depending on how long you want the game to be. Responding appropriately in a timely way means there's no lasting harm, as long as the player knows (1) "I lost those assets because I hosed up", or (2) "I would have CERTAINLY lost those assets if I hadn't acted".

Its worth noting that while direct attacks will become commonplace as you gain power/influence, they are never so annoying that you can't sandbox around them. If you play passively or stealthily, you are free to build whatever without making enemies or fearing the story might progress without you. At tier 1 as a complete unknown, you could build a large pretty castle and decorate your ship for days and days without anything bad happening, and without (much) material restrictions.

At some point you say "alright I'm a walking juggernaut of doom and conquest, time to gently caress up the Big Bad" or, "I can hire these black-ops supersoldiers and provide them high-tech support, particularly by launching interplanetary smartbombs or drones to ensure their success" or even "I have recreated Mass Effect by supporting these several civilizations so now we're going to band together in an unstoppable fleet"

Any one of those plans will work okay.

Or if you're a completionist sperg, you beam down on the planet in your Gigapower Armor Mk VIII and frankly illegal/immorally powerful weapons, backed up by mercs that you've granted similar equipment, while your support team nukes poo poo from orbit (with orbital weapons you've researched, designed, built and deployed) WHILE friendly civ's fleets cut off reinforcements and keep you and your orbital weapons safe. The Big Bad just :psyduck:s at you and you flatten him. The main game is won, congrats!

Then the optional Superboss From Beyond shows up, and is a murderous, nightmare-inducing multi-stage fight even with maxed-out everything (so there's a good reason for megaspergs to megasperg, and there's a true sense of accomplishment for smashing him). The Superboss doesn't move aggressively like the Big Bad does so you're much more free to sandbox.

Now THAT'S a game, and starbound is capable of supporting probably 80% of that right now.

[wayne and garth making humping motions] schwing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Evilreaver posted:

I HAVE A DREAM

The tutorial planet teaches the basics- how to move, fight, mine, and recruit NPCs. Maybe there's a wounded guy-- why not a buddy who was in your escape pod, but didn't fare so well in the crash? He needs shelter ("NPCs need beds, doors, walls and lights!"), medicine herbs (which, along with food crops, are the base of Farming progression), protection from alien wolves, oh great now he's better and needs a gun so the two of you can hike up a mountain so your distress signal reaches space?

Alright, so a ship comes down and teleports you up, and kidnaps you and the captain is an rear end in a top hat. You break out and fight (you need control of the engine and bridge, do you dispatch your friend to one while you go to the other, or go together? Introducing the NPC Dispatch System tutorial!) So you blow up the ship, the captain gets to a shuttle, you beam aboard. And when you confront the pirate captain, you are given a choice, kill the captain or arrest him to give to the local Spacecops? Either way, now you have a Tier 1 ship. And the sandbox begins.

Your buddy doesn't have anything better to do, so he'll hang around until you dismiss him or something. He'll stay on the ship acting as a guide "Why not go [progress the story], [player]?" And you can ask him to come along on your self-guided missions. You're in a space-civ consellation, why not find an inhabited planet to get missions or a vacant world to claim?

Oh, some distress signals. Go or ignore? Story-important ones are clearly marked as important (and don't time out), others you can hunt down or ignore at your leisure. One teaches you about wormholes, another about Why The Big Bad Is A Jerk, another is a mining outpost and when you get there it's overrun with native wildlife. The boss of that last one is tired of dealing with the aliens you just made extinct, so he sells you the deed for cheap. Boom, Outpost Upgrade And Management tutorial.

Eventually your mining outpost either decays (if you don't man it) or is attacked (if you do), which then triggers a How To Defend Your poo poo tutorial.

You are taught how to make a Farming Outpost. They don't work well if there's industry on the same world, so there's a reason to colonize multiple worlds (or spend some resources on clean industry). This provides food and/or medicine you can use to feed NPCs you have under your 'rule' or you can trade to neutral/friendly civs. Medicine is worth more so it attracts more raiders. Different foods grow in different climates so you are encouraged to settle multiple worlds again. (Or build biodomes)

You are taught how to make Research Outposts. They're valuable and attract raiders, but you can hide them well underground so as long as there isn't something obvious (say, a mine or farm) on the surface to give them away, they're pretty safe. You can research all sorts of fun toys, techs, ships, weapons, armor, engines, mining and farming equipment, or just farm out your equipment to a civ for cash and favors. Larger labs and their reactors generate more heat and are thus harder to hide so you either need better defenses or, again, multiple planets.

So you're left to Skyrim the galaxy for a bit. If you focus on the main story, you can head off the Big Bad's plans and do good in the world, and it gives you juuuuust enough levels/gear/resources as quest rewards in order to get by. If you don't care, you get wealthy and/or powerful, but the BB starts conquering poo poo, and launches high-threat attacks both on NPC constellations as well as your own holdings. Powerful NPC Civs can resist for a while and start giving you "evac this planet", "hold the line", "attack this enemy base to take heat off us" missions, and food/medical supplies go way up in price so you can get :10bux: by fighting or merchanting. If you interact closely with a civ, they do very well in resisting the BB and can hold forever as you and they level up.

As the game progresses, the Big Bad gets mad at you (either for directly opposing him or for indirectly supporting your allies) and Death Star's a planet you like and/or Ups The Stakes in some way. Maybe two or three times depending on how long you want the game to be. Responding appropriately in a timely way means there's no lasting harm, as long as the player knows (1) "I lost those assets because I hosed up", or (2) "I would have CERTAINLY lost those assets if I hadn't acted".

Its worth noting that while direct attacks will become commonplace as you gain power/influence, they are never so annoying that you can't sandbox around them. If you play passively or stealthily, you are free to build whatever without making enemies or fearing the story might progress without you. At tier 1 as a complete unknown, you could build a large pretty castle and decorate your ship for days and days without anything bad happening, and without (much) material restrictions.

At some point you say "alright I'm a walking juggernaut of doom and conquest, time to gently caress up the Big Bad" or, "I can hire these black-ops supersoldiers and provide them high-tech support, particularly by launching interplanetary smartbombs or drones to ensure their success" or even "I have recreated Mass Effect by supporting these several civilizations so now we're going to band together in an unstoppable fleet"

Any one of those plans will work okay.

Or if you're a completionist sperg, you beam down on the planet in your Gigapower Armor Mk VIII and frankly illegal/immorally powerful weapons, backed up by mercs that you've granted similar equipment, while your support team nukes poo poo from orbit (with orbital weapons you've researched, designed, built and deployed) WHILE friendly civ's fleets cut off reinforcements and keep you and your orbital weapons safe. The Big Bad just :psyduck:s at you and you flatten him. The main game is won, congrats!

Then the optional Superboss From Beyond shows up, and is a murderous, nightmare-inducing multi-stage fight even with maxed-out everything (so there's a good reason for megaspergs to megasperg, and there's a true sense of accomplishment for smashing him). The Superboss doesn't move aggressively like the Big Bad does so you're much more free to sandbox.

Now THAT'S a game, and starbound is capable of supporting probably 80% of that right now.

if you mined this post you would get 6278 letter blocks to build with

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
*stares at this retard making lovely thousand-word design docs for an epic game* will you get a LOAD of this guy? *jerk off motion, invisible blowjob*

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Please do not pick on my friend Evilreaver, also Evilreaver I can basically guarantee you 75% of us aren't reading your huge wordvomit posts, no matter how good the ideas are or are not. You sure seem to have a lot of ideas though, which is good and shows that you want this game to be better than it is which is a healthy way to go about things.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why not read it? Better than the rest of the thread

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

It's toobad you neckbeards scared the Chucklefish people away. If they still checked in they might have actually seen some of these good ideas and tried to implement them.

It's a good thing nobody wants starbound to actually be good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't read huge posts on principle

my OP probably has a lot of typos

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

grimcreaper posted:

If they still checked in they might have actually seen some of these good ideas and tried to implement them.
Adorable :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

grimcreaper posted:

It's toobad you neckbeards scared the Chucklefish people away. If they still checked in they might have actually seen some of these good ideas and tried to implement them.

Or they could tell us they would be improving obtuse mechanics, and instead doubling down on energy regen penalties in the next dev post two days later.

That and say they thought the legitimate questions where "Rhetorical".

Evil's post makes me wish for something better, but I don't know why I keep thinking it's even possible at this rate :saddowns:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Section Z posted:

Or they could tell us they would be improving obtuse mechanics, and instead doubling down on energy regen penalties in the next dev post two days later.

That and say they thought the legitimate questions where "Rhetorical".

Evil's post makes me wish for something better, but I don't know why I keep thinking it's even possible at this rate:saddowns:

99% sure they'll never pull their heads out of their asses, but for some unexplainable reason I can't stop dreaming the impossible dream either. :sigh::hf::saddowns:

I really wanted this game to be good.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Starbound more like shitbound.

Just trying to get the thread back on its track.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I just noticed, on their main page they now have a big button on the right side of the page, advertising "EARLY ACCESS! BUY NOW!"
Seems a bit tasteless to have something like that up after 2 years.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Cicadas! posted:

I just noticed, on their main page they now have a big button on the right side of the page, advertising "EARLY ACCESS! BUY NOW!"
Seems a bit tasteless to have something like that up after 2 years.
It's not inaccurate.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

grimcreaper posted:

nah i dont give a poo poo about starbound ,much like the devs lmao

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jackard posted:

Why not read it? Better than the rest of the thread

I skipped the rest of it once it became clear it wasn't really any kind of useful criticism of Starbound, and instead just a "make this different game instead" post.

I'm sorry I have to be there one to tell you this, Evil, but you've become a fan fiction author.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Just play Out there Omega edition it has mining, exploration and all that poo poo, a good game.
Realtalk, it's actually good

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The combat in this game is so good

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You can do that in Terraria and Minecraft, too. There's only so much freeform building games can do to keep you from walling in your enemies and biting their ankles.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

You can do that in Terraria and Minecraft, too. There's only so much freeform building games can do to keep you from walling in your enemies and biting their ankles.

Know what other game you can do it in?

Dark Souls.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Mzbundifund posted:

That's some Symphony of the Night style action right there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah they could do like what Terraria does and actually have more than one enemy on the screen at once.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah they could do like what Terraria does and actually have more than one enemy on the screen at once.

Or give enimies the ability to dig if there is no path avaliable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Or give enimies the ability to dig if there is no path avaliable.

BUT THEN WHAT ABOUT MY ENORMOUS PENIS-SHAPED HOUSE? IT MIGHT GET DAMAGED AND THAT drat CLOWN WILL RUIN DAYS' WORTH OF EFFORT!!!!! :qq:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

ToxicSlurpee posted:

BUT THEN WHAT ABOUT MY ENORMOUS PENIS-SHAPED HOUSE? IT MIGHT GET DAMAGED AND THAT drat CLOWN WILL RUIN DAYS' WORTH OF EFFORT!!!!! :qq:

I said dig not mine

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Gotta admit, I watched this way too long expecting it to result in the enemy dying after the 12th stab-

Oh. My God. This isn't a gif at all! It is a tiny link to a livesteam!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Section Z posted:

Gotta admit, I watched this way too long expecting it to result in the enemy dying after the 12th stab-

Oh. My God. This isn't a gif at all! It is a tiny link to a livesteam!

:eyepop:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is there any reason at all for me to reinstall this game

I mean surely there's fun to be had in the past 1.5 years since I've last played it, right!?

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

I mean surely there's fun to be had in the past 1.5 years since I've last played it, right!?

Depends. Do you mean fun you have forgotten about or fun new things?

Because you won't find too much of the latter.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Volt Catfish posted:

I actually put way more hours into the game after the Winter Update than I did before, and while I did eventually go through the content and stop playing until the next significant update, I quite enjoyed the time that I spent.
That said, I don't think there's a whole lot worth mentioning since then.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh my god, it's been that long?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I just uninstalled it the other night. First time uninstalled sadness never happened... I think I realized that the game will be nothing but bad until the right modders come around and sell their mods to us all.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i installed starbound on 2 separate computers today

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i installed starbound in my butt

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

buttbound

50 shades of chuckle

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That's it you're Stargrounded. Go to your room, young man.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Haha.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ahundredbux posted:

i installed starbound in my butt

Can it run Doom?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Can it run Doom?

It runs buttdoom: hole decimator

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

grimcreaper posted:

It runs buttdoom: hole decimator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Ahundredbux posted:

Just play Out there Omega edition it has mining, exploration and all that poo poo, a good game.
Realtalk, it's actually good

Unless it's a completely different game from the original version, it is in fact a bad game. But maybe they should add a bunch of words and emo moodiness to starbound and be the same game.

• Locked thread