Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

For the life of me, I cannot understand how someone could make a miniseries entitled "Hollywood's Best Film Directors" and choose post- Clone Wars George Lucas for its exemplar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Subscribing to Hulu Plus is worth it anyway for getting access to 90% of the Criterion Collection

It's really not a bad deal as far as content goes. Ads+a sub price is super weak though.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Subscribing to Hulu Plus is worth it anyway for getting access to 90% of the Criterion Collection

Seconded. I would love to hear any good Hulu Plus Criterion Collection recommendations, there is so much available on there that it can be intimidating to sit down and select something to watch.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

AKMoose posted:

Seconded. I would love to hear any good Hulu Plus Criterion Collection recommendations, there is so much available on there that it can be intimidating to sit down and select something to watch.

I really like the Zatoichi movies, and there are some good Ingmar Bergman films there, too. But the selection is huge and I would also like to see some recommendations, because I haven't scratched the surface of what's in there and don't have the film knowledge to know what I'm looking at.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

AKMoose posted:

Just look at the covers and watch whichever looks best.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AKMoose posted:

Here are some to watch. I got tired of deleting the length after each movie so you get to put up with that after a lot of the movies:

Häxan (1:46:50)
Safety Last! (1:07:42)
I Was Born, But ... (1:30:15)
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (2:00:48)
History is Made at Night (1:37:03)
Pygmalion (1:35:34)
There Was a Father (1:26:52)
Day of Wrath (1:37:01)
Rome Open City (1:42:45)
Women of the Night (1:13:41)
Drunken Angel
Orpheus (1:35:36)
Summer Interlude (1:35:45)
Umberto D. (1:29:08)
The Life of Oharu (2:16:15)
Ikiru (2:23:03)
I Vitelloni (1:47:34)
Summer with Monika (1:37:36)
The Wages of Fear
Fear
Sansho the Bailiff
French Cancan
A Man Escaped
Elevator to the Gallows
Kanal
The Cranes Are Flying
The Music Room
The Ballad of Narayama
Ashes and Diamonds
Pickpocket
Shadows
The Virgin Spring
The Housemaid
Breathless
Devi
Eyes Without a Face
The Letter Never Sent
The Warped Ones
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo
La notte
Il Posto
Pigs and Battleships
L'Avventura
Viridiana
Through a Glass Darkly
Divorce Italian Style
Il sorpasso
Sanjuro
Ivan’s Childhood
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman: The Tale of Zatoichi
Harakiri
Vivre sa Vie
L'eclisse
The Bakery Girl of Monceau
The Organizer
The Big City
The Silence
High and Low
The Fire Within
The Insect Woman
Shock Corridor
Woman in the Dunes (2:26:57)
Pale Flower (1:35:56)
The Soft Skin (1:57:30)
Gate of Flesh (1:29:56)
Dry Summer (1:32:01)
Intentions of Murder (2:29:54)
All These Women (1:16:37)
Persona (1:24:02)
Wings (1:24:42)
Vive le Tour (18:56)
As Long as You've Got Your Health (1:08:00)
Masculin Féminin (1:44:13)
Closely Watched Trains (1:33:09)
Andrei Rublev (3:25:57)
Daisies (1:13:12)
Au Hasard Balthazar
Marketa Lazarová (2:45:47)
La Collectionneuse (1:26:14)
Mouchette (1:21:09)
Belle de Jour (1:40:11)
Samurai Rebellion (2:01:23)
Weekend (1:43:46)
Profound Desire of the Gods (2:54:44)
Faces (2:09:53)
Innocence Unprotected (1:19:30)
Boy (1:37:40)
L'enfance nue (1:22:49)
Salesman (1:31:08)
My Night at Maud’s (1:50:13)
Claire’s Knee (1:45:42)
Gimme Shelter (1:31:42)
Walkabout (1:40:40)
Murmur of the Heart (1:58:23)
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1:59:31)
Scenes from a Marriage (2:49:36)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1:39:13)
Amarcord (2:03:48)
Alice in the Cities (1:51:44)
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1:33:29)
A Woman Under the Influence (2:26:41)
Fear of Fear (1:28:29)
Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai Du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (3:21:26)
Mikey and Nicky (1:46:25)
Opening Night (2:24:02)
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1:48:34)
Coup de grâce (1:36:39)
Cría cuervos...
The Ascent (1:48:55)
The Last Wave (1:45:27)
Autumn Sonata (1:34:02)
Vengeance Is Mine (2:20:23)
Permanent Vacation (1:14:34)
My Dinner with Andre (1:51:26)
Veronika Voss (1:44:29
Fall Guy (1:48:04)
Sans Soleil (1:43:58)
L'Argent (1:24:28)
Stranger Than Paradise (1:29:05)
Secret Honor (1:30:36)
Vagabond (1:45:24)
Mala Noche (1:17:37)
Down By Law (1:46:40)
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Wings of Desire
The Vanishing
Mystery Train (1:50:09)
Close-Up (1:37:36)
The Double Life of Véronique (1:38:11)
Night on Earth (2:07:58)
Man Bites Dog (1:36:45)
Thunderheart (1:59:32)
Three Colors: White (1:31:37)
Three Colors: Blue (1:37:57)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1:57:53)
Hoop Dreams (2:51:41)
Three Colors: Red (1:39:11)
La Cérémonie (1:51:44)
La Promesse (1:34:24)
Schizopolis (1:36:48)
George Washington (1:29:56)
In Vanda’s Room (2:50:33)
Revanche (2:01:58)
The Great Beauty (2:21:09)
The Rules of the Game (1:46:35)
Children of Paradise (3:09:19)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's a lot of good stuff in there but I don't know that it solves his problem of having too many choices

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

morestuff posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in there but I don't know that it solves his problem of having too many choices
I thought about that, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to whittle it down, and this is certainly fewer than "all the movies" so at least it helps a bit, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm no Criterion aficionado, but I really liked Eyes Without a Face a while back when I watched it fwiw.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
You can always use an RNG and leave it to the fates.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I thought about that, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to whittle it down, and this is certainly fewer than "all the movies" so at least it helps a bit, right?
Maybe someone with movie autism can add the year and language to the titles to give people some idea of what they're in for.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Watch Seijun Suzuki.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Watch House. Sorry I mean HOUSE!

You will enjoy HOUSE!

The movie is one of my favor- HOUSE!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Watch the Three Colors Trilogy, Daisies, and The Battle of Algiers.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

"The Virgin Spring" was the basis for the original "Last House on the Left," so that's kind of cool. "Through a Glass Darkly," the "Three Colors" trilogy, "Man Bites Dog," and "My Dinner with Andre" (awesome, I didn't know that was on there) are all standouts to me from skimming the list, but I haven't seen half of what's on there.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NESguerilla posted:

I'm no Criterion aficionado, but I really liked Eyes Without a Face a while back when I watched it fwiw.

Eyes Without a Face is super good. I highly recommend it, especially if you like Halloween or Face/Off.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Watch Harakiri. Although I'm biased because that's one of the few I've seen of that list. But it's REALLY good.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

mr.capps posted:

You will enjoy HOUSE!

House is very bonkers...in a good way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Naked Lunch got a Criterion Collection release but isn't on Hulu. That's some horse poo poo

e: Fellini's Satyricon just got Criterion'd :getin:

precision fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 30, 2015

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Here are some to watch. I got tired of deleting the length after each movie so you get to put up with that after a lot of the movies:

Thanks for the thorough jumping off point (and to everyone else for the replies). I think a big list is fine--part of my goal is to get more conversation going about this great, non-Netflix resource.

Based on your list, a few follow-ups for anyone with recommendations:
-French new -- I have generally enjoyed some early films by Godard (Breathless, A Woman is a Woman) and Truffaut (of the first three, particularly loved Jules and Jim). Any good next steps by these guys or other contemporaries?

-R.W. Fassbinder -- Loved World on a Wire, found Satan's Brew memorable but uneven. He's got an intimidating filmography and I've had several recommendations--any suggestions on where to go? I loved the sci-fi style of World on a Wire, but my understanding is that he doesn't ever go into such straight sci-fi elsewhere.

-Bergman/Persona -- Aside from Persona, I've only seen The Passion of Anna. Any other Bergman starters available? I also loved Persona for its dreamlike quality, fluid personalities, and influence on one of my favorite movies, Altman's 3 Women. Any other movies that fit this tone? (A broad request, I know.)

mr.capps posted:

You will enjoy HOUSE!

I have seen House and I enthusiastically second this.

Zachack posted:

Just look at the covers and watch whichever looks best.

Why do you think I watched House?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AKMoose posted:

Thanks for the thorough jumping off point (and to everyone else for the replies). I think a big list is fine--part of my goal is to get more conversation going about this great, non-Netflix resource.

-French new -- I have generally enjoyed some early films by Godard (Breathless, A Woman is a Woman) and Truffaut (of the first three, particularly loved Jules and Jim). Any good next steps by these guys or other contemporaries?

Check out some Jean Pierre Melville. I recommend Le Samurai and Le Circle Rouge.

quote:

-Bergman/Persona -- Aside from Persona, I've only seen The Passion of Anna. Any other Bergman starters available? I also loved Persona for its dreamlike quality, fluid personalities, and influence on one of my favorite movies, Altman's 3 Women. Any other movies that fit this tone? (A broad request, I know.)

My pick for your next step would be Wild Strawberries. Maybe my favorite Bergman, and a good bridge between the dreamlike surrealism of Persona and the kitchen sink realism of some of his other stuff. I'll also recommend Sawdust and Tinsel (very underrated) and of course The Seventh Seal.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

House is very bonkers...in a good way.

house is so surreal and I love it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

AKMoose posted:

For the former I'd suggest Cleo from 5 to 7, Zazie dans le metro, and My Night At Maud's, and for the latter, Autumn Sonata, Winter Light, and either Fanny & Alexander or Scenes from a Marriage, both of which are long as hell but crazy super good (also check out the Shame thread, which is great for this kind of thing).

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

For the life of me, I cannot understand how someone could make a miniseries entitled "Hollywood's Best Film Directors" and choose post- Clone Wars George Lucas for its exemplar

Every time I scroll past it I just think... Is this supposed to be irony??

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Boy I love netflix's large and varied selection of movies these days

(those were the only two suggestions)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gilmore Girls owns.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You would think that if it were going to suggest movies related to Kiss Me Kate it would suggest Love's Labor Lost, All Night Long, Romeo + Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, Coriolanus, and Hamlet, which are all streaming. But sure, Gilmore Girls and Shrek make sense.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Hulu has added a bunch of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim shows this morning.

http://www.hulu.com/tv/new/shows

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SaintFu posted:

Time for a Squidbillies marathon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Holy poo poo, they put up the entirety of The Venture Brothers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, they announced a while back that all the CN stuff is now on Hulu, which is probably why the Netflix content was a bit neglected before they finally pulled it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Glad we're getting full runs of those shows, having just random seasons on Netflix was a real tease.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SaintFu posted:

Oooh, Moral Orel is up, here's my guide on what to watch:

Season 1:
"The Lord's Greatest Gift"
"The Blessed Union"
"Loyalty"
"Maturity"
"The Best Christmas Ever" - this was actually the season finale, not the first episode, so don't watch it first
I'd also want to recommend "God's Chef", but I think too many people would find it offensive.

Season 2:
Everything

Season 3:
Especially everything, S3 was Bojack Horseman before Bojack Horseman

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I took a look at Hulu and they do have a lot more complete series than I realized. Time to get Hulu I guess.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Would an ad blocker work on hulus ads?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

It just gives you 30 seconds of silence instead.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Magnus Gallant posted:

Not really, no. It just tells you to disable your adblocker, and you get to refresh the page.

They're actually scoring some pretty good content. Dammit Netflix.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I wish Netflix would trade Friends to Hulu for Seinfeld.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pope Guilty posted:

Holy poo poo, they put up the entirety of The Venture Brothers.

Oh gently caress. Now I'm not so mad I forgot to cancel my free trial of Hulu Plus. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Canal was a very good horror movie but it really let it self down with the dumb ending. One day a horror movie might figure out that TWIST! endings where all the characters die aren't scary. It also killed the idea that the dude was just going crazy, and instead I'm left wondering if evil spirits convinced the kid to kill himself with like 10 seconds of whispering or if they possessed him like the father was