Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

mds2 posted:

Well, after 78 years of woodworking grandpa had his first table saw accident. His thumb is a bit shorter today. :(

Stay safe everyone!

Well this is terrifying. Really glad I picked up some push blocks

Are Kevlar/chain mail gloves worth the investment in the event of contact? ok apparently it's a terrible idea.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Are Kevlar/chain mail gloves worth the investment in the event of contact?

One million times no

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What was your grandfather doing when it happened and did you identify the cause of the accident, did he use push sticks?

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

MickRaider posted:

Well this is terrifying. Really glad I picked up some push blocks

Never use gloves with machines, instead of just a finger coming off it'll pull your whole hand in and it might not stop there.

Edit: At least that's what got drilled into me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

LookieLoo posted:

Never use gloves with machines, instead of just a finger coming off it'll pull your whole hand in and it might not stop there.

Yep, nor long sleeves, long hair not tied back, etc.

Only exception I make is angle grinders, I always wear a pair of well-fitted work gloves, saved me from a few "grinder bites" now working in cramped conditions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I make exception for long sleeves because that's just not possible. Then I'd only be able to work 1/3rd of the year

EDIT: My first chair, sitting inside. I am definitely making a jig for the next couple of chairs, and thinking up a better way to line up the back to the sides properly.

Gonna have to buy some oil.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 30, 2015

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

His Divine Shadow posted:

What was your grandfather doing when it happened and did you identify the cause of the accident, did he use push sticks?

I asked if he had a kickback and he said no. He said he doesn't really remember what happened, said it was so fast, and he didn't even feel it till after.
He's pissed at himself. Mostly because he cant work now. I bet he buys that new Bosch table saw.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

MickRaider posted:

I'd be more worried about a tooth on the saw blade grabbing the glove and pulling your hand into the blade. Same reason you don't wear your wedding ring when working in a machine shop -- feel free to google it, but it's pretty gross: :nms: degloving :nms: Push block for running a table saw is the only real safe way, and keeping your body clear of the cutting area and boards when ripping in case they get flung.

I'm really struggling with this with my Dad because he is in his 60's and stubborn as gently caress. His mantra is "Do as I say, not as I do", as he lectures me about safe handling of a chainsaw but then does a sideways cut with his leg right next to the chain. I'm trying to talk him into at least wearing a dust mask when he's sanding inside of his workshop because he has no dust collection set up, and he never wears goggles when sharpening stuff on the grinding wheel.

Any suggestions on how to teach an old dog new (safer) tricks? I'm just hoping that whatever poo poo he's inhaling won't hurt him before old age takes him. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

ChaoticSeven posted:

That sucks, was it really bad or relatively minor (well, as far as tablesaw cutting injuries go anyway)? 78 years, that's nuts.

Finished up the dresser, aside from fitting the back. Turned the knobs from some quartersawn walnut I've been drying a couple years now. It was from the stock left on either side of the pith when you slab off a bowl blank. Came in handy. Bit of a relief to have this done.
< Awesome >

That looks awesome, although I'm probably wrong in my opinion here, but I thought it looked better before you put the fronts on, when you could see the joints and it was flat across the front.

This picture.

That said, I think it's because it reminds me of the tiny ikea craft-stuff drawers I've got upstairs somewhere, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. :v:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spazz posted:

I'd be more worried about a tooth on the saw blade grabbing the glove and pulling your hand into the blade. Same reason you don't wear your wedding ring when working in a machine shop -- feel free to google it, but it's pretty gross: :nms: degloving :nms: Push block for running a table saw is the only real safe way, and keeping your body clear of the cutting area and boards when ripping in case they get flung.

I'm really struggling with this with my Dad because he is in his 60's and stubborn as gently caress. His mantra is "Do as I say, not as I do", as he lectures me about safe handling of a chainsaw but then does a sideways cut with his leg right next to the chain. I'm trying to talk him into at least wearing a dust mask when he's sanding inside of his workshop because he has no dust collection set up, and he never wears goggles when sharpening stuff on the grinding wheel.

Any suggestions on how to teach an old dog new (safer) tricks? I'm just hoping that whatever poo poo he's inhaling won't hurt him before old age takes him. :(

I'm of your dad's generation, and short of something really traumatizing, probably nothing will get his attention. Some guys are just :clint: as leather, and don't get beat down. I always used to wear at least a bandanna cutting or shaping lumber, glasses, ear protection....and still do, although it's a hobby for me now.

I see obits from time to time of guys younger than me who worked cabinet shops dying from some pulmonary related thing. Their faces are gray in the pics, you know their lungs were 3/4 full of cellulose and whatever bonding glue and formaldehyde crap they put in particle board and mdf.

I'll be damned if something I had to do for a living for years will be the end of me.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Always worth noting, this is totally worth the $$

And hell no to using gloves.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Spazz posted:

Same reason you don't wear your wedding ring when working in a machine shop -- feel free to google it, but it's pretty gross: :nms: degloving :nms:

This is the one I'm going to struggle with. I lose stuff SO easily. But I know I need to lose the ring when I'm working with spinny things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I can't get mine off, I had an injury on my knuckle (doing cleaning, in the house) that sliced a big flap open, somehow it healed back up, flaps usually don't but I guess it was substansial enough in this case. Anyway I got a big bump on my knuckle from that and I can't get my ring past that...

Anyhoo, oiled the chair, bought a can of oil via my work, still drying at this stage, it's changed hue a bit since I took the photo:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I might buy that ripper and see if he'll use it more. I watched him cutting a mortise on the table saw with his hand right next to the blade this past weekend. I figure it may take him losing a finger and his wife yelling at him before he finally wises up. Or maybe not -- his lower back is pretty hosed up from lifting a heavy box incorrectly and he refuses to use the lifting belt I gave him when moving stuff.

thespaceinvader posted:

This is the one I'm going to struggle with. I lose stuff SO easily. But I know I need to lose the ring when I'm working with spinny things.

Get a chain and put it on that around your neck when you're not wearing it -- just make sure it's a sturdy and comfortable one. I suggest the same thing to people at the gym when lifting because injuries can happen when lifting while wearing rings, too.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spazz posted:

Get a chain and put it on that around your neck when you're not wearing it -- just make sure it's a sturdy and comfortable one. I suggest the same thing to people at the gym when lifting because injuries can happen when lifting while wearing rings, too.

I think I would rather have a ring around my finger get caught on a high-powered fast-spinning tool than a chain around my neck. :stare:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Bad Munki posted:

I think I would rather have a ring around my finger get caught on a high-powered fast-spinning tool than a chain around my neck. :stare:

You put the ring and chain under your shirt.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Magnus Praeda posted:

You put the ring and chain under your shirt.

But then it'd get your shirt as well. You be drawn into the cutter by not just your ring, but also by your necklace, and your shirt. Might as well save yourself the hassle and just clamp your dick in the chuck to begin with.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Deedle posted:

Might as well save yourself the hassle and just clamp your dick in the chuck to begin with.

Please don't kinkshame, thx.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Wear nothing but a jockstrap in the shop.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

You also don't buy a chain that's going to be strong enough to pull your entire head in to a piece of machinery if it gets caught, nor loose enough that it's even hanging openly enough to do that. Tuck in it your shirt and you'll be fine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just wear a glove over it and it's all good.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wear a full body condom when I'm in the shop.

MrPete
May 17, 2007
Speaking of cutting body parts on saws... I managed to cut my pinky on the bandsaw on Monday.

I was trimming bowl blanks and on the last one got sloppy. Was paying attention to my main fingers and the pinky curled around into the path of the blade on exiting the log. Zapped me good.

Went through the nail, nail bed and into the bone. Had surgery on Wednesday, in a splint thing for 10 days and then a month or so of no straining it apparently.

Good lesson for me to be more focussed and to build a sled of some sort for next time. Also to listen to my body and if it says it's time to finish for the day actually do so instead of trying to fit just one more in.

Munki make sure you use unlubricated condoms, sawdust doesn't stick to them as easily

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

MrPete posted:

Also listen to my body and if it says it's time to finish for the day actually do so instead of trying to fit just one more in.

I struggle with this almost daily (work in general, not just woodworking). At the time I need to quit I usually am either behind the eight ball schedule wise or am amped up from doing something I really like to do. I usually keep going until I screw something up then I'll see the light and quit.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Welp, spent like $500+ on poo poo from Lee Valley and Amazon last night for my workshop. Buy once, cry once. Right guys? ...Right? :haw:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

MrPete posted:

Good lesson for me to be more focussed and to build a sled of some sort for next time. Also to listen to my body and if it says it's time to finish for the day actually do so instead of trying to fit just one more in.

This is the hardest lesson I've ever learned (and am still learning). I love working when it's work that I love and have a very hard time slowing myself down and stopping.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Urgh, ran out of outdoor wood glue so I decided to build my 2nd chair with polyurethane construction adhesive, much much messier and it's pitch black so the squeeze out is much uglier and definitely needs to be removed much more fastidiously.... On the plus side I almost finished the 2nd chair in one evening. Made an assembly jig too so it goes faster.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Planed finish(is that a thing?) done on one side, I couldn't resist throwing down some mineral spirits. I'm tempted to shellac it as is instead of sanding. It's not much rougher than what 220 would give and it looks so much better.

One more side to finish flattening with my new* joiner plane.

*Mockridge & Francis went out of business in 1868.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bad Munki posted:

I wear a full body condom when I'm in the shop.

Well yeah, who's gonna take the time to remove their leisure wear every time they step into the shop? You'd burn through talcum powder way too fast.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm revamping my homemade shop vac before I am starting on the DC project so it won't be such a huge clumsy lump in my shop. Took some inspiration from woodgears again and the V1 dust collector he made, I feel like I am turning into a woodgears shill.

This is the new design, painted parts of it so it won't get so dirty. Lighter and more compact design, the cyclone assembly is attached to the frame, the bucket will be easy to take on and off as well. Replacing the old pipes with a wooden box instead, that's also attached, and a new hepa filter.

Do you have some sort of airlock or seal at the bottom of the cyclone? Does the garbage can fit up tightly to the green disc under the cyclone somehow that's not obvious in your pictures?

The way you have it set up the vacuum is pulling air from both the inlet end and the bottom of the cyclone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's totally not finished in the picture so it doesn't work at all like that. I just put the major parts roughly where they'd go so you'd get an idea of what it'd look like. It does go up against the green disc when the bucket is mounted and it's air tight.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Where can I learn about planes? I was watching woodwork videos last night and the guy kept switching planes and I have no idea why or what they were supposed to do.

"I'll start with a scrub plane, then switch to my modified #4, and later the #19" means nothing to me. I have a no-name 6 1 /2" block plane I've probably misused every time I've used it, but it would be charitable to call my work up to date joinery.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Cakefool posted:

Where can I learn about planes? I was watching woodwork videos last night and the guy kept switching planes and I have no idea why or what they were supposed to do.

"I'll start with a scrub plane, then switch to my modified #4, and later the #19" means nothing to me. I have a no-name 6 1 /2" block plane I've probably misused every time I've used it, but it would be charitable to call my work up to date joinery.

I'm no plane expert but I can give a short summary.

#7 or larger are jointer planes for making edges flat and true.
#6 Foreplane, (before, earlier) for rough lumber. The first plane you use.
Scrub plane, German plane for rough lumber, narrower and shorter than the English foreplane.
#5 Jack plane, jack of all trades, expert at none. Can do anything.
#1 - 4, Smoothing planes, for finishing a surface
Block planes, for small lumber
Then there are a host of specialized planes for joinery, decoration, or cutting difficult grain.

edit, the numbers above are Stanley model numbers. Manufacturers each had their own system. Some stayed close to the Stanley scheme with numbering like 400, 500, etc. Others made up their own system. Look up Woodwright's Shop episodes with Chris Schwarz, they should all be available on PBS.com.
edit2, http://video.pbs.org/video/2172600556/

wormil fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2015

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Cakefool posted:

This page gives a rather thorough look into the different types and their uses- http://woodandshop.com/woodworking-hand-tool-buying-guide-handplanes/

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Recommend me a guide/tutorial about making a picture frame with nice corners and straight edges.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

oxbrain posted:

Planed finish(is that a thing?)

Definitely is, yes, but usually the plane concerned is a cabinet scraper.

Nice plane, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for the links, good reading.

Another, different question: if I had a drill press is there a tool I can use to cut circular holes and grooves of any size in wood? Not a hole saw, because they come in specific sizes only.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Thanks for the links, good reading.

Another, different question: if I had a drill press is there a tool I can use to cut circular holes and grooves of any size in wood? Not a hole saw, because they come in specific sizes only.

This is what you're looking for-

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/145072/Circle-Cutter-Small.aspx

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So the tool I need to cut circles...is a circle cutter? :v: I should have guessed, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Don't try using one of those while holding the wood. Clamp it down firmly. They are not forgiving.