Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

neogeo0823 posted:

Probably? It's a locking hinge joint that can lock in place at predetermined spots between 0 and 180 degrees. I don't care about any other angles except for 0 and 180. This particular hinge also has a release lever built into one end that unlocks the hinge joint when it's pulled away from the arm. That's the big feature that I want in this hinge. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything I've seen in the last few years that has a hinge like that.

I think Danger - Octopus! is right. Cheap aluminum patio furniture uses a joint like that. It typically uses a ratchet to hold the angle. I don't think I've ever seen it as a stand-alone hinge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm planning on using strapping like this to secure some EVA foam armor pieces in place. Do I need any special equipment for cutting/gluing? It looks like a heat knife would be enough.

https://www.strapworks.com/Polypro_Webbing_p/lwp12.htm

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Probably? It's a locking hinge joint that can lock in place at predetermined spots between 0 and 180 degrees. I don't care about any other angles except for 0 and 180. This particular hinge also has a release lever built into one end that unlocks the hinge joint when it's pulled away from the arm. That's the big feature that I want in this hinge. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything I've seen in the last few years that has a hinge like that.

Check the specialty hardware offerings on soe of the woodworking supply sites. Rockler had this for instance - http://www.rockler.com/pl-100-series-s-s-overlay-pivot-hinge-left-pl-100l

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

CzarChasm posted:

I'm planning on using strapping like this to secure some EVA foam armor pieces in place. Do I need any special equipment for cutting/gluing? It looks like a heat knife would be enough.

https://www.strapworks.com/Polypro_Webbing_p/lwp12.htm

I use a scissors and a lighter for that kind of thing, seals the ends up just fine.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

*huff puff*

Hoi! Managed to catch up with the thread!

*huff*

McPantserton. You're a master crafter! Everything you've shown off has impressed me beyond belief! Y'er not green, but y'er proppa orky in my book!

Duros. You made a shiny hat with an LED grid, and it blows the socks off most things that I can imagine!

Mckilligan! Artorias is a really cool guy, but you're cooler, imo. Great build!

THIZZFACE KILLA! There's not alotta people in the world who can yoshimitsu the way you yoshimitsu'd, and it's hella inspirin'.

Everybody else! Y'er doing great!

This thread has inspired me to make my own costume. I was thinking Samus as drawn in the Metroid manual:

I'm fully confident in my abilities to burn through my meager budget within the first day, try to build a vaccuum former, burn down my entire house, dust off the soot from my bunny pajamas and start afresh!

I have zero skill, I'm all thumbs when it comes to sewin', and I'm like as not to wind up with charred eyebrows at the end of this, but hopefully I can make up for that with tenacity and a positive attitude! Besides, no matter the ending, it's gonna be a heck of a memory!

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 15, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Magnus Praeda posted:

I think Danger - Octopus! is right. Cheap aluminum patio furniture uses a joint like that. It typically uses a ratchet to hold the angle. I don't think I've ever seen it as a stand-alone hinge.

As luck would have it, I happen to have an old-style folding lawn chair. Looking at the hinges, I might potentially be able to do something with it. The question is if I replace the latching mechanism(which is actually just a claw-shaped bit of metal) with a lever that can be held in place, will it be strong enough to hold a person's weight? I'll be experimenting tomorrow and later this week.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

neogeo0823 posted:

So, a while back in this thread(or maybe the last Halloween thread? I dunno) someone posted a cosplay they had where they made a Sony Walkman that they plugged their phone into to play music. I remember this build specifically because they said it could play really fricken loud. Like, outside-in-the-wind loud. Does anyone have a link to it, or any other low-cost ways of taking an MP3 and playing it at a high volume with decent quality for outdoor environments?

Harvey Baldman posted:

I'd be happy to print you what you need, but it might have to wait until after NYCC. Hit me up with a PM when you have the time. Do you have the model you want to print already, or do you need it made?

Anyway, my Star Lord Walkman's done. Think I might do the belt a little later on, and I'm working on the gun barrels pretty much continually throughout this whole process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-E8KScdzTc

Just check his posts. There may also be a thread here in DIY about Arduinos, which would help a lot.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 15, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Repo Man posted:

Just check his posts. There may also be a thread here in DIY about Arduinos, which would help a lot.

Ah, thanks. Sadly, it seems like he didn't post about it in the Arduino thread, unless I'm looking at the wrong thread. Thankfully, the local makerspace is HUGE on Arduino, so I'll likely be able to get a bunch of help from them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well I'm getting close to finishing rebellion for my dante costume, but I just have a question that I hope some goons can help me out with.

The problem with rebellion is that it is goddamn huge! I would like to travel it with and it won't fit in a suitcase. After measuring it, it looks like I'll have to to divide it into three parts. the body of the sword is made out of wood. I've made the ridge by folding a piece of plastic over it. I'd like to make it detachable at the points I've circled in red.

Any ideas on how I should do this? I think I could use double sided screws, though any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am right now, but I could post a picture of my work so far later.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Monaghan posted:

Well I'm getting close to finishing rebellion for my dante costume, but I just have a question that I hope some goons can help me out with.

The problem with rebellion is that it is goddamn huge! I would like to travel it with and it won't fit in a suitcase. After measuring it, it looks like I'll have to to divide it into three parts. the body of the sword is made out of wood. I've made the ridge by folding a piece of plastic over it. I'd like to make it detachable at the points I've circled in red.

Any ideas on how I should do this? I think I could use double sided screws, though any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am right now, but I could post a picture of my work so far later.

What are the dimensions? It might fit in a bass/guitar gig bag.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Monaghan posted:

http://www.kamuicosplay.com/2014/12/21/the-proud-norn-warrior/

Scroll down.
Kamui mentions using screws for the great sword. In another tutorial she used thread mounts (?).

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Has anyone ever seen a locking joint like what's described here? I've been trolling Google looking for hinge joints like that, and I'm drawing a blank on things that have a joint hinge that can lock in place like that that also has a release lever on one side. Does anyone have any ideas for where I should start looking?

Maybe like the locking mechanism on these?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Ladders-Multi-Position-Ladders/N-5yc1vZasew

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Is anybody else a bit chilly? ....just me?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Update on my Daft Punk helmet: Gutted the electronics from last year and redid them using Adafruit Trinket and Neopixels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lac4FpRXlPg

I need to learn some coding; the pattern is from a template, but even if it's not as fancy, it all fits inside the helmet instead of needing a huge external pack to hold the batteries and electronics.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Faceplate bones are done! Not sure how much work I'll get done on the top of the helmet this week because I'm going to c2e2 next weekend but hopefully I can get rolling on the horn/spike/whatever top things pretty soon.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

neogeo0823 posted:

For this and a few other mechanical questions: I used to work with seat back latches and I'm going to school as an engineer, would it help anyone to have a livechat session on locking joints? I keep seeing things I want to answer but I can't think of a way to summarize down to one post. Also, I haven't found any online collections of joints, would it be helpful to have a tumblr or whatever of durable latch mechanisms?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

eonblue174 posted:

For this and a few other mechanical questions: I used to work with seat back latches and I'm going to school as an engineer, would it help anyone to have a livechat session on locking joints? I keep seeing things I want to answer but I can't think of a way to summarize down to one post. Also, I haven't found any online collections of joints, would it be helpful to have a tumblr or whatever of durable latch mechanisms?

Helpful or not, it'd definitely be neat. I'm planning on modifying a couple of locking hinges from an old folding lawn chair, and while most of the existing parts seem sound enough, I know I'll need to add to or modify the claw that locks into the teeth on the hinge to turn it from a short claw into a lever, then add a spring that forces it into the teeth unless the lever is activated. It'd be really comforting to see if those theoretical modifications should hold up or even if they're possible at all before I go tearing the thing apart.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My husband I know was considering something that would involve locking joints and wold probably appreciate it.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sorry for the poo poo photo. Hard to balance the flash with all that metal reflecting back. Not quite finished with this yet, but I may take her for a test drive at C2E2 this afternoon.

Need to fine tune some of the upper body and figure out a good way to enclose the inner arms above the elbow. I did make a gorget to cover the neck area more, but it's not in that pic.

Lower body (which I am not wearing in the pic above) is much closer to complete.

More pics I managed to snap over the build.

http://imgur.com/a/nGTUZ

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

Ultron is finally done! For a scratch build, I think he's alright. Gotta get him a new bodysuit, preferably one of those with a metal exoskeleton print design. Next up are the lights for his chest.

Also finished off a MK43 at the same time to coincide with the premiere! And finally, Thor is finally ready to be shown!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MajorGravy posted:

Also finished off a MK43 at the same time to coincide with the premiere! And finally, Thor is finally ready to be shown!

What the gently caress. :vince:

I hate you and every fun thing you stand for.

And for content,this past week, I was supposed to finish my stilts, but the sintra shin support ended up snapping on one of the legs for some unknown reason. I had to order more, but it won't be here till late next week. I'm kinda pissed about that.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Congrats McPantserton on your victories at C2E2! First in category, second overall! I wanted to go up and introduce myself and say hi but they shooed you guys away pretty quick. Still, good job and way more detailed than Lady Sif was. I have no idea how they picked some of the winners.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I only got one picture for my self at C2E2 (posed for loads though) and my hood's out of place.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, while I wait for the sintra to arrive so I can finish my stilts, I'm going to be moving on to the next stage of my design. I need to make some mechanical hands. Something like these hands.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is the length of each finger "bone", and/or what ratio to use so that they don't look really funky and still work and bend properly. I've tried sending the guy who made that video an email asking him, but he hasn't responded in over a week. Anyone have any advice regarding that?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Dude, KILLER job on Ultron!

TunaSpleen posted:

Congrats McPantserton on your victories at C2E2! First in category, second overall! I wanted to go up and introduce myself and say hi but they shooed you guys away pretty quick. Still, good job and way more detailed than Lady Sif was. I have no idea how they picked some of the winners.
AAAA THANKS :D My first giant check!! I can't even believe it. The other competitors were all so super cool, I secretly have terrible stage fright and all the people around me pretty much talked me down from the ledge hahaha. Definitely going to shoot for C2E2 again next year, it was a grueling day (in costume for about 12-13 hours) but so awesome too.

GIANT CHECK

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
AAAAAAH! THAT IS SO loving COOL! Man, such a fan of your work. I'm really loving happy for you. drat good job.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

McPantserton posted:

Dude, KILLER job on Ultron!

AAAA THANKS :D My first giant check!! I can't even believe it. The other competitors were all so super cool, I secretly have terrible stage fright and all the people around me pretty much talked me down from the ledge hahaha. Definitely going to shoot for C2E2 again next year, it was a grueling day (in costume for about 12-13 hours) but so awesome too.

GIANT CHECK

Great job!

Out of interest, when you get a giant-rear end cheque like that, do they actually pay you with a smaller one, or into a bank account or something?

I know the image I have of carrying the 4-foot piece of foamboard to the bank isn't real, but I'm not sure what is!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well after some of these kick rear end cosplays, I feel a little embarrassed posting this one. Friend took a picture of me when I wasn't looking:

this was for the first con of the year. I didn't manage to get dante's sword done because some materials got held up in customs of all things. oh well I'll finish his guns and sword later, along with touching up the coa. But at least a judge from the con's costume contest came up to said that she thought I did a good job cosplaying dante. She also said her and couple of other judges wished I entered. that felt nice :unsmith:

Guess I also have to keep going on my diet to ensure my abs get more defined and try not look more like a twink than I already do.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 29, 2015

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Monaghan posted:

well after some of these kick rear end cosplays, I feel a little embarrassed posting this one. Friend took a picture of me when I wasn't looking:

this was for the first con of the year. I didn't manage to get dante's sword done because some materials got held up in customs of all things. oh well I'll finish his guns and sword later, along with touching up the coa. But at least a judge from the con's costume contest came up to said that she thought I did a good job cosplaying dante. She also said her and couple of other judges wished I entered. that felt nice :unsmith:

Guess I also have to keep going on my diet to ensure my abs get more defined and try not look more like a twink than I already do.

What'd you use to make the abs, they look great.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Here's a question for you. What would you all reccomend to make something look gooey, yet still be flexible?

If the game's any good, me and my husband may go to DragonCon as an inkling from Splatoon. I know I sure as hell could just sew the tentacle hair, but I was wondering if I could make them out of foam and layer something overtop, such as caulk. Alternatively, I may lose my loving mind and try to caulk together a wig.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think there's ever been a better use for latex than "gooey yet flexible." Although I'd personally describe squid as "rubbery."

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

thespaceinvader posted:

Great job!

Out of interest, when you get a giant-rear end cheque like that, do they actually pay you with a smaller one, or into a bank account or something?

I know the image I have of carrying the 4-foot piece of foamboard to the bank isn't real, but I'm not sure what is!

I, too, need to know the answer to this.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Monaghan posted:

No way, this turned out awesome and I am super impressed by your abs. I usually use a corset/spanx to achieve my cosplay fitness goals, womp womp.

And thanks guys, I'm honestly still kind of in disbelief that that happened. I'm pretty sure they will mail me a regular check but I want to take the huge one to the bank and try to fit it through a drive-thru tube so bad! I'll probably hang it up on my wall or something, makes me happy every time I see it :3:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What'd you use to make the abs, they look great.

pink foam and some paint.

McPantserton posted:

No way, this turned out awesome and I am super impressed by your abs. I usually use a corset/spanx to achieve my cosplay fitness goals, womp womp.

Thanks for the nice words. Also late to the party but congrats on the win. Your costumes definitely deserves an honour like that.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TunaSpleen posted:

I don't think there's ever been a better use for latex than "gooey yet flexible." Although I'd personally describe squid as "rubbery."

What sort of latex would I use and how would I use it?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, yesterday, I tried walking on my stilts for the first time. It was going pretty well, but I got literally my last step for that attempt and put too much weight on my heel and fell backwards. I managed to twist sideways before hitting the ground, so I didn't fall flat on my back, but on my side. I'm perfectly fine, but the stilts are not. All of the sintra shattered, and the knee joints of the left stilt are bent out of shape. While I think I can bend them back decently well, that's $65 worth of sintra down the drain, and I have no desire to buy that much more.

I'm currently looking for a cheap replacement for the sintra. I'm pretty sure that it was chosen for its job in this project because it would hold the metal supports in place and because it would clamp onto my leg after being molded. I've got a bunch of nylon strapping left over that I could theoretically use in its place, but I'm not sure how the supports will respond to that. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes.

I'm just really pissed that I essentially wasted $65 like that.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I'm not much of a latex expert, but the inklings are mostly regular clothes, face paint, and elf ears. I think something like this Predator mask tutorial might work, except the inkling girl's wig would be way easier to just sculpt the smooth tentacle hair without the ridiculous details of a Predator.

Personally, I'd go for a cheaper, easier route and try to make a hat out of a solid shiny material like vinyl. Way easier to let your head cool off halfway through the day. The pictures I'm seeing of crochet or regular fabric hats are nice but I definitely would like to see a 'rubbery' version.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

neogeo0823 posted:

So, yesterday, I tried walking on my stilts for the first time. It was going pretty well, but I got literally my last step for that attempt and put too much weight on my heel and fell backwards. I managed to twist sideways before hitting the ground, so I didn't fall flat on my back, but on my side. I'm perfectly fine, but the stilts are not. All of the sintra shattered, and the knee joints of the left stilt are bent out of shape. While I think I can bend them back decently well, that's $65 worth of sintra down the drain, and I have no desire to buy that much more.

I'm currently looking for a cheap replacement for the sintra. I'm pretty sure that it was chosen for its job in this project because it would hold the metal supports in place and because it would clamp onto my leg after being molded. I've got a bunch of nylon strapping left over that I could theoretically use in its place, but I'm not sure how the supports will respond to that. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes.

I'm just really pissed that I essentially wasted $65 like that.

Could you use your existing piece to make a resin copy? Bondo, resin, and fiberglass shouldn't be too expensive, and is really strong.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Repo Man posted:

Could you use your existing piece to make a resin copy? Bondo, resin, and fiberglass shouldn't be too expensive, and is really strong.

How expensive are we talking? I think I picked up all the pieces, so I should be able to superglue them together to make a mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

How expensive are we talking? I think I picked up all the pieces, so I should be able to superglue them together to make a mold.

Depending on how many pieces you were able to recover, and if you're able to get all the pieces back together with superglue, then you might be able to just wrap the busted sintra in a layer or two of fiberglass cloth to reinforce it.

A quart of resin is about 15 bucks at the big-box store, and eight square feet of fiberglass cloth is about seven bucks. Both can also be readily had at auto-supply or marine-supply shops. You're gonna want to make sure you have gloves for cutting and handling the cloth, because it's literally tiny fibers of glass. A dust mask is a must if you're gonna sand it. I would also recommend buying, borrowing, or stealing any kind of respirator mask rated for organic solvents for when you're mixing and applying the resin, because it's nasty poo poo. If you can't get one, then you're probably fine for this one job, as long as you mix and apply out in open air. Browse around Youtube for a few minutes to see people of all ages and skill levels applying fiberglass cloth; it's pretty easy. But it's also really stinky.

Out of curiosity, is there a way you could photograph the extent of the damage, preferably next to a ruler or a piece of paper currency for scale?