Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I kept reading that as "don't buy a deckbuilder, you already have Dominion."

I was a little confused as to the problem with that statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rutibex posted:

lol at everyone jumping to sell you their Thunderstone sets, it should tell you something about the game that so many people are eager to part with it :ssh:

I would offer to sell you my copy of Thunderstone Advance: Numenera on the cheap, but I expect the shipping hassle would not be worth the effort. It will forever be my cross to bare, poisoning my mind and whispering in my ear"Don't buy Dominion, you already have a deck builder, that would be wasteful!"

comparing thunderstone numenera to dominion is like comparing a soggy chip to a pot roast dinner

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fungah! posted:

comparing thunderstone numenera to dominion is like comparing a soggy chip to a pot roast dinner

Hey now, you're being a little harsh.

Soggy chips aren't that bad.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Huh? Keyflower's name is playing off the Mayflower??? WTF? Geezus, what a stretch.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I really want to stop buying games, but I think my wife would really like Evolution for 6 players. Is it as promising as it looks? She is shy and hates the social games that usually work best with six.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I bought Dogs of War based off the SUSD review and it is awesome. Really really digging it. Interesting decisions everywhere and a little politicking for spice.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Looselybased posted:

I bought Dogs of War based off the SUSD review and it is awesome. Really really digging it. Interesting decisions everywhere and a little politicking for spice.

Have you, by chance, played Blood Bowl Team Manager? After going through the SUSD review it looked like it had some similar mechanics and I was hoping to get a comparison by someone who's played both.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Big McHuge posted:

Have you, by chance, played Blood Bowl Team Manager? After going through the SUSD review it looked like it had some similar mechanics and I was hoping to get a comparison by someone who's played both.

I haven't but if it's similar then I should look into it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Couple more questions on specific things in Argent: for the Great Hall room, do you get the reward for each mage you place into it? If not, why would you want to put more than one mage into it? With the Astronomy Tower room, can you move the token multiple times (paying for each) and get multiple rewards, or do you just pay one lump sum to move it the appropriate number of spaces, then get the reward you end on?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Couple more questions on specific things in Argent: for the Great Hall room, do you get the reward for each mage you place into it? If not, why would you want to put more than one mage into it? With the Astronomy Tower room, can you move the token multiple times (paying for each) and get multiple rewards, or do you just pay one lump sum to move it the appropriate number of spaces, then get the reward you end on?

Yes, you get the reward for each mage you place into the Great Hall.

Astronomy Tower only gives you the final resting spot's reward, but you can pay-to-move as many times as you like before stopping.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CodfishCartographer posted:

You get one reward per mage in the Great Hall. Sometimes you end up running out of time to place mages, and in that situation, it's better to get at least a partial reward for each mage than to get absolutely nothing by leaving them in your office. It also can be effective if you have a method of swapping mage positions between rooms, since you can then swap the great hall mages with your opponent's mages who are in actual good spots (and your opponents don't even get the great hall rewards when you do so!). It's also helpful if you have a lot of powerful treasures that you'd rather activate instead of placing mages.

For the astronomy tower, you can only get one reward per mage. You can move the token multiple spaces, but you only get the reward you end on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Perfect, thanks! Overall the rulebook wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it definitely does miss edge cases like that. I'm looking at the official errata, and does anyone know where the source for these are? I wanna make sure they're legit and final before I take a pen / sharpie to my cards to fix the typos.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

Huh? Keyflower's name is playing off the Mayflower??? WTF? Geezus, what a stretch.

Dunno, that was the first thing that came to mind when I played it for the first time, haha.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Trey is one of the designers. His name's on the box.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Trey is one of the designers. His name's on the box.

Well then, I feel silly for not noticing that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

He was the lead designer, specifically.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Played Shadow Hunters last night, hidden role game with some nice rules/mechanic (the green deck) for learning facts about other players' identities. Helps keep things moving and not mooring down in pure social deduction land.

I thought it was OK. Couple interesting things in it even if thematically it's uh a little scatterbrained. At least it doesn't take forever to play a game.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Mister Sinewave posted:

Played Shadow Hunters last night, hidden role game with some nice rules/mechanic (the green deck) for learning facts about other players' identities. Helps keep things moving and not mooring down in pure social deduction land.

I thought it was OK. Couple interesting things in it even if thematically it's uh a little scatterbrained. At least it doesn't take forever to play a game.

Shadow Hunters is one of those games that does large numbers so it's disproportionately popular at board game meets where a group of 8 or so can't bear the thought of excluding anyone by starting a game that sits less than 8.

It works pretty well as a 5 player game though so long as people don't take forever thinking about their decisions, but I'd be reluctant to play it with any more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Did you miss that new meeples and tools arrive by boat? Keyflower is explicitly a colonisation game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Come stage a coup d'état with me, my Hacendado.

Pax Porfiriana PbF.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Samurai posted:

Come stage a coup d'état with me, my Hacendado.

Pax Porfiriana PbF.

Signed up!

Everyone keeps talking about this game, I want to see what makes it so good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Its the beards. The mechanics are OK, but it's mostly the funny facial hair.

One of the Hacendados was literally Colonel Aureliano Buendia IRL, so there is that, too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Pax Pamir is up for preorder btw: http://sierra-madre-games.eu/sierra_madre_games_en.html

(for what seems like a really reasonable price too: € 29,00 + €6 shipping -- the Pax Porfiriana collector's edition is on preorder as well).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 30, 2015

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
So, my buddy got Super Dungeon Explore and asked me to help put it together, and I discovered that holy poo poo building minis is fun as hell, and now I want to make all the minis. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot of minis board games that aren't either pre-assembled or wargames, and those aren't really what I'm looking for. So, besides Shadows of Brimstone and the hopefully-soon-to-be-released Kingdom Death: Monster, what are some good games to scratch my newly acquired itch?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

How is it that the Pax Pamir VASSEL mod came out before the game itself? Is this normal for popular games?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

golden bubble posted:

How is it that the Pax Pamir VASSEL mod came out before the game itself? Is this normal for popular games?

I know FITL did it and I think Churchill will. Most games also release their rules early.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Some wargame companies use VASSAL for open playtesting, so it's pretty easy for them to release it early as a sort of demo version of the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PubicMice posted:

So, my buddy got Super Dungeon Explore and asked me to help put it together, and I discovered that holy poo poo building minis is fun as hell, and now I want to make all the minis. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot of minis board games that aren't either pre-assembled or wargames, and those aren't really what I'm looking for. So, besides Shadows of Brimstone and the hopefully-soon-to-be-released Kingdom Death: Monster, what are some good games to scratch my newly acquired itch?

Battletech is your ticket

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Lord Frisk posted:

Battletech is your ticket

PubicMice posted:

board games that aren't either pre-assembled or wargames

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is FITL as a first COIN? Assume that we're all experienced gamers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not, honestly, the best. It does have the shortest scenario in any COIN currently but the interactions between the factions and the size of the map makes it difficult for newbies. Cuba Libre (or potentially Falling Sky) are probably gonna be the best ones for people new to the genre.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

bobvonunheil posted:

Shadow Hunters is one of those games that does large numbers so it's disproportionately popular at board game meets where a group of 8 or so can't bear the thought of excluding anyone by starting a game that sits less than 8.

It works pretty well as a 5 player game though so long as people don't take forever thinking about their decisions, but I'd be reluctant to play it with any more.

I can see it being better with 5. We played with 7 and it felt kinda random swingy - having a long line of people between your turns also really de-emphasizes any ability you might have (like the exposed Vampire's heal 2 every time you damage someone) because so much happens in between turns that you also can't predict. It also puts additional emphasis on bonuses that are constant (like -2 to any damage you take or whatever).

One thing that also helps keep the game moving - especially with a larger # of players - is that you don't maintain a hand of cards. You draw a card and either put it in front of you (it's a piece of equipment) or you play it right away, usually by handing it to another player to resolve. No hemming and hawing over the growing options you're holding in your hand and whether they apply to your current situation or not.

It is hilarious when this grim-ish themed game doesn't even try to take itself seriously, like there's a lineup at the Church (draw card from white deck = usually a good healing sort of thing) and an angel descends from heaven to fully heal a player with a touch. The next person in line gets a chocolate bar.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GrandpaPants posted:

What Tek said, as well as that it's got a lot of fiddly exceptions and terminology that can be confusing with everything else going on. However it is also by far the easiest COIN game to get hold of and it's not impossible to learn first. I would recommend Cuba Libre or A Distant Plain if you can get them though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ADP is difficult on its own as well. AA is not so bad but good luck finding it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

PubicMice posted:

Uhhh, Blood Bowl? Really, most games that sell themselves on their miniatures are pretty lovely games because their customers are mainly interested in miniatures v:shobon:v. The general consensus here is that Super Dungeon Explore is pretty bad and the last I heard of Kingdom Death it had tons of kickstarter backers because of it's (kinda skeevy) miniatures, despite not actually having rules yet. I'd recommend you just buy miniatures from wherever and build them for fun, and maybe you can find a few games where you can replace a few cardboard chits with them.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Dreadball, from Mantic!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
^^^ What Fenn the Fool! said

PubicMice posted:

But if that doesn't deter you, you could just get more Cool Mini Or Not? games. As far as I understand it, they all come with dudes you gotta put together and paint. The Eric M. Lang one doesn't even look bad, BLOOD RAGE :black101: You could also get Kaosball mans and proxy them as Blood Bowl mans because that is a cool game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a couple rounds of Twilight Imperium the other day...it's...I don't know. I kind of like some of the mechanics, like how players can play off of other strategy cards, but the turns are intolerably slow, and we didn't even get to a time when we actually confronted each other, we were just grabbing a couple planets. Also those two turns took two hours (though maybe half an hour was dedicated to rules explanations).

My biggest gripe in games like these are when you have a large stack of cards and choices always available to you - I'm referring specifically to the tech. I mean, yes technically you have a tree, so only a few tech to choose from, but at any given point you're probably going to want to be moving towards a particular tech at the bottom of the tree, so you've got to know which one is worth it, which means reading every single card and knowing what they do.

Also secret objectives are bullshit in any game with asymetric faction abilities. I was a not-very-good-at-combat race, but my secret objective was to take over Rex and have a huge army with a space dock. There was another person with a very similar objective, except his race was built around having large fleets or very powerful dreadnoughts or something. So my objective was pretty much trash.

One of my friends wants to dedicate a day to playing a five-six player game. This thought sounds kind of interesting, but also fairly terrifying when it comes to playing a single board game for six hours.

Edit: How does Rex compare? Apparently there's more to do in that game than just build up armies?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
If what you want is to build things, have you tried looking into model kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Played a couple rounds of Twilight Imperium the other day...

Edit: How does Rex compare? Apparently there's more to do in that game than just build up armies?

Rex is Starcraft, Twilight Imperium is Master of Orion 2, if that makes any sense.