Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People were discussing Warplots and that's a good moment to remind people that warplots were announced to the public before the actual people that would be working on them.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"good party composition"

*brings 3 elementalists because top dps*

That isn't even a joke, either. God drat dungeons are so hosed in gw2.

Still? Back at launch the only viable strategy was to run back to the boss after dying and hope the rest of the party could survive until you got back, and that was in full endgame gear. Mostly because you couldn't rely on the evade roll to dodge the bullshit AoEs because they'd happen too often and you'd run out of stamina.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 30, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RottenK posted:

it matters in gw2 too

usually not in the "have these classes/roles or you lose" way, but there's a lot of difference between a ragtag group of randoms and an organised team with good party composition

I guess I never played really high level GW2 (does such a thing exist outside of small scale PvP?) but for all the group content I did the classes didn't really matter as long as you could do damage and not die. It was like Diablo or Monster Hunter or etc.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Unguided posted:

Still? Back at launch the only viable strategy was to run back to the boss after dying and hope the rest of the party could survive until you got back, and that was in full endgame gear. Mostly because you couldn't rely on the evade roll to dodge the bullshit AoEs because they'd happen too often and you'd run out of stamina.

Now you can't waypoint while someone is in combat but the majority of dungeons that people run for money are pretty easy to sleep through.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

GW2 has been out more than two years, so even the casual dungeon-running pubbies have had time to receive the trickle-down effect of speedrunning methods.

Dungeons that took hours at launch because nobody knew how to play now almost universally have speedrun clear records of sub-10 minutes (http://gw2dungeons.net/Records) if you bring an ~*optimal*~ composition, but the truth is that any well-geared and competent combination of five players will put up a clear time not that much longer than the record.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The original set of GW2 dungeons are not works of art, but I will say this about them:

1. Most of them are a much more enjoyable experience compared to what they felt like during the first 3-6 months of the game's release.
2. You can no longer waypoint while any members of your party are in combat which forced people to find ways to kill the bosses without infinite lives.
3. The rewards for running dungeons are more attractive now.
4. Easier dungeons are run the most but the harder paths are still very accessible. It is not hard to find a group to run them but expect for these to take more time to complete. Harder paths usually come with greater rewards now.
5. First person camera mode is in the game now. This does help some with seeing enemy telegraphs. Especially when it comes to smaller bosses such as those found in Caudecus's Manor.
6. A lot of bullshit fights have been changed. A lot of bullshit still exists though.
7. Most of my pug runs end in success but not all of course and they do take longer with a pug but even those groups clear most paths quickly as Kessel mentioned in the post above.
8. Running with guild mates is more fun and faster like pretty much every MMO out there.
9. The LFG finder has been completely overhauled since launch and works pretty well. Wait times are minimal and this has a lot to do with the fact that any class/build composition is perfectly viable.

Finally, the guy who was in charge of the original dungeon design was removed from his position quite some time ago because he just was not very good at his job. ANET has since put other people in charge of designing dungeons or "dungeon like" content and most of it has been much better. This gives me a lot of confidence that the quality of new dungeons in the upcoming expansion will be big improvement compared to launch dungeons.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

People were discussing Warplots and that's a good moment to remind people that warplots were announced to the public before the actual people that would be working on them.

Is this true? This seems too stupid even for Carbine.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

croutonZA posted:

Yeah. I'd go so far to say that 90% of the poo poo wrong with the game isn't because the devs have some ingrained hatred of the playerbase, but because the people running the show are really loving dumb.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

croutonZA posted:

Yes, it's true. The dev team didn't know about warplots until they were brought up as a feature in an interview. It was the president or CEO of Carbine, or someone similarly high up.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Rhymenoserous posted:

On the list of things to whine about in WS IA isn't one of them. Unless you played medic, then whine away.

If you could even stand getting into genetic archives poo poo had like 30+ IA

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the only problem with IA is that removing a layer didn't reset the regeneration time, so if person lagged or something then the IA went from like 1 to 10 or whatever.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

What were they even supposed to be

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Anatharon posted:

What were they even supposed to be

IIRC giant 30 vs 30 PVP matches.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
The only time Warplots were ever going to work was if there was no lag and if the game had a population level like WoW did around its release.

Neither were going to happen especially after they hosed the PvP up by making high end pvp gear near impossible to get through their making GBS threads pvp ranking system.

Now all this game is to me now is another MMO box which is gonna gather dust alongside Warhammer online

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Build your own instanced fort, find 40 people on your faction who want to sit around for forever waiting, then hope another group of 40 people on the other faction has a fort made and are also waiting around at the same time. If you actually manage to get the 80 people all queued up at once, you play Wildstar Brand 2fort.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

mrbass21 posted:

IIRC giant 30 vs 30 PVP matches.

30 vs 30? What are you, some kind of filthy casual? Warplots are 40 v 40 like real raiders should be.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

VoLaTiLe posted:

The only time Warplots were ever going to work was if there was no lag and if the game had a population level like WoW did around its release.

Neither were going to happen especially after they hosed the PvP up by making high end pvp gear near impossible to get through their making GBS threads pvp ranking system.

Now all this game is to me now is another MMO box which is gonna gather dust alongside Warhammer online

At least with the warhammer box you can smile faintly at fond memories.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does zoness still play this game? I know they were super into it despite how much poo poo it sucks. I think they even had two characters attuned to GA.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Holyshoot please post an update in the ArcheAge thread about the status of that pubbie weirdo's lawsuit against you.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

For those who haven't played Wildstar, what's the deal with 'cupcakes'?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I interpret that as a passive aggressive way of calling the reader/player lovely, disguised behind an ironically innocuous word

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

SirPhoebos posted:

When you level up, you get a cheesy rock explosion with an announcer that says something to the effect of "Oh, yeah! You just levelled up, cupcake!"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SirPhoebos posted:

Mayostard posted:

When you level up, you get a cheesy rock explosion with an announcer that says something to the effect of "Oh, yeah! You just levelled up, cupcake!"

That was one of the level up lines. Wildstar had a pile of ridiculously excessive level up lines, complete with fireworks and pyrotechnics. If the game hadn't sucked as hardcore as it wanted to be the level up ceremony, and the cupcake moniker, would probably be accepted as merely an eccentric turn of the game's style. "Cupcake" was Wildstar's semi-jokey, semi-taunty, altogether-regretable-in-hindsight nickname for its players. Just like the level up lines the repeated use of "Cupcake" simply reminds us of how Wildstars passion to be Leet and hardcore destroyed it. You could see it in the trailers, they had the general tone "You think you're hardcore cupcake? Well you're just a cupcake unless you play Wildstar and prove it, cupcake!"

Schubalts posted:

Yes, it's true. The dev team didn't know about warplots until they were brought up as a feature in an interview. It was the president or CEO of Carbine, or someone similarly high up.

To clarify a little according to an interview the Dev Team knew about plans for Warplots but as far as they knew Warplots were still at the idea stage and they hadn't been finalized or given the greenlight for release. It wasn't until the president gave a press release hyping up the ultra awesome hardcore vanilla Wowtastrophe that were the Warplots that the programming team actually learned that this thing they had been brainstorming was apparently a finalized product that would ship shortly after the final release of the game. As has been mentioned before Carbine was very poorly managed.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Features that are in the planning stages/not even there yet getting announced at press events and then the dev team having to scramble is not Carbine specific or even really all that uncommon in AAA dev cycles.

Carbine's hosed a lot of poo poo up but this is probably not one of them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Belzac posted:

Features that are in the planning stages/not even there yet getting announced at press events and then the dev team having to scramble is not Carbine specific or even really all that uncommon in AAA dev cycles.

Have any other examples?

And "other people are this retarded" doesn't make it not really funny in a schadenfreude kind of way.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Have any other examples?

And "other people are this retarded" doesn't make it not really funny in a schadenfreude kind of way.

Dance Studio.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Belzac posted:

Dance Studio.

Dance Studio's was not a corner stone of a game type. also blizzard did say why the dance studio's was not added.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It was big enough to make it onto the back of the box.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Belzac posted:

It was big enough to make it onto the back of the box.

Uh, what box?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I heard it was on the WotLK box but I can't be asked to find it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
There was a box and I have it and he is correct that it was on the box for it. WOTLK did came out before downloading full games became mainstream, I don't think it was a option for it at launch.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I think flying vehicles were even touted at some point and made it into a manual or tutorial or something but never got implemented.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cyron posted:

Dance Studio's was not a corner stone of a game type. also blizzard did say why the dance studio's was not added.

Why was it not added

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Why was it not added

Imagine how disappointing it would have been. There's no way they'd let people mod in their own wireframe animations, so it'd be a bunch of animation work for a pretty "meh" feature from what it could have been.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Wait poo poo nevermind I read that wrong

Wasn't there a big huge thread on the Wildstar forums on Engineer bugs? Is that still around?

I was in because the whole thing thing reminded me of Ratchet and Clank, which I loved.

Unfortunately, I did not look into it enough to learn that they were totally up their rear end about their lore.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 1, 2015

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Holyshoot posted:

Does zoness still play this game? I know they were super into it despite how much poo poo it sucks. I think they even had two characters attuned to GA.

Addiction gave up hope on wildstar not being a POS a little more than a month into the game, so probably not?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Belzac posted:

"this egregious mistake is one that others have made thus it's not a mistake"

Hmmmm!

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

SirPhoebos posted:

Nothing the cake was a lie

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Flesh Forge posted:

Hmmmm!

Blizzard dropping a feature that was taking too long is like the opposite of forcing the devs to work on Warplots to the detriment of the rest of the game (which launched buggy as poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Flesh Forge posted:

Hmmmm!

It's how people justify buying into Wildstar! :v:

• Locked thread