Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Halfbrick have a new puzzle game out called Bears vs Art. The game itself is pretty cool but all the F2P stuff kind of ruins it.

Also new Kairosoft: Fish Pond Park.

The F2P stuff on Bears Vs Art is a bit overwhelming, yeah. I'm being sold energy, skill points, coins, VIP status, and cash-only equipment, and it doesn't seem intuitive as to what feeds into what.

Checking out the new kairosoft game. It hasn't always worked out, but they've got a decent enough batting average that I'll bite day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ha ha! That's hilarious!

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Galaga: Tekken Edition, originally an April Fool's joke, somehow exists and is out on the Play Store.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
If I'm looking for final fantasy tactics clone I should kill myself? That was quick, bye thread.

But seriously I'll eventually look through your suggestions and all but if there is one genre of actual gaming that could work in a phone is tactics stuff. I don't care for most of it but I love disgaea to the bone.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

program666 posted:

If I'm looking for final fantasy tactics clone I should kill myself? That was quick, bye thread.

But seriously I'll eventually look through your suggestions and all but if there is one genre of actual gaming that could work in a phone is tactics stuff. I don't care for most of it but I love disgaea to the bone.

You want a DS emulator + Disgaea DS / FFTA / FFTA2

Roflcopter
Dec 21, 2004

nexus6 posted:

:smith:

This is after about 13 months.

I was like you once. Then Google found out I'm a stay at home dad with hardwood floors and the surveys have been fuckin rolling in the last month :getin:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You want a DS emulator + Disgaea DS / FFTA / FFTA2

I wonder how well a ds emulator would play on my phone. Those touch d-pads are way too clunky, even for turn-based games. By the way, I don't really want a tactics game on my phone that badly, I was just commenting on how weird it is that there is no game like it on phones. I mean, it's weird until you see that there is practically no "real game" on phones. I just played hoplite that people talk so much about and it's just yet another game that is better described as a puzzle just like 95% of phone games library. Meh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Roflcopter posted:

I was like you once. Then Google found out I'm a stay at home dad with hardwood floors and the surveys have been fuckin rolling in the last month :getin:

I take it that there's just no way to pick up the pace of these surveys in Canada?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

program666 posted:

I wonder how well a ds emulator would play on my phone. Those touch d-pads are way too clunky, even for turn-based games. By the way, I don't really want a tactics game on my phone that badly, I was just commenting on how weird it is that there is no game like it on phones. I mean, it's weird until you see that there is practically no "real game" on phones. I just played hoplite that people talk so much about and it's just yet another game that is better described as a puzzle just like 95% of phone games library. Meh.

I gathered from the thread that Drastic is a pretty good DS emulator that works and controls well. I don't think it was a bad suggestion.

Also there certainly are real games on android but of course it depends on your taste.

You like tactical combats for example and it happens that Shadowrun : Dragonfall is on sale just now:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.dragonfall&hl=en

There are tons of equally good games out there. People usually mention hoplite and pixel dungeon because they are polished poopbreak games, but there's much more than that if your thing is longer more complex games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does dragonfall have the debug mode the PC version does? I played the non-directirs cut a few times and don't really want to have to work at seeing the new content. I just want to blow through combat.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I did get shadowrun, and it seems to be pretty sweet, I just don't play it as much because it's kind of though to just jump in, and play 10 minutes of it. The only game that I really liked playing on the phone so far was stone soup dungeon crawl despite of the clunkyness.
And say what you want about taste, but if you don't like puzzle games you're poo poo out of luck with android.

Roflcopter
Dec 21, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I take it that there's just no way to pick up the pace of these surveys in Canada?

Honestly I'm really not sure how it works. I don't really go out too much, just stay at home with the kid, and I was getting frustrated because I'd get a survey literally every five weeks and I'm not exactly in bumblefuck nowhere. Then they asked me to take a picture of my living room floor. A couple weeks later they asked some questions about cleaning products that I use on the floor. Then over the last month I was bombarded with questions about what type of floor was in each room of my house and how often I cleaned them. Now I've started getting questions about how often I cook.

So I guess you really just have to luck into a demographic they want to learn more about

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Roflcopter posted:

Honestly I'm really not sure how it works. I don't really go out too much, just stay at home with the kid, and I was getting frustrated because I'd get a survey literally every five weeks and I'm not exactly in bumblefuck nowhere. Then they asked me to take a picture of my living room floor. A couple weeks later they asked some questions about cleaning products that I use on the floor. Then over the last month I was bombarded with questions about what type of floor was in each room of my house and how often I cleaned them. Now I've started getting questions about how often I cook.

So I guess you really just have to luck into a demographic they want to learn more about

Yeah, I guess so. Obviously, I answer the surveys truthfully, because if they DO decide they're interested in hearing from a 30-something white, middle-class Canadian father who has a background in audio, I'm their guy. I did once look up a logo/company name so I could answer a question correctly in order to continue the survey.

I have been tempted in the past to just come up with bullshit, but since I have no idea what they're looking for most of the time, it's not worth it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, I guess so. Obviously, I answer the surveys truthfully, because if they DO decide they're interested in hearing from a 30-something white, middle-class Canadian father who has a background in audio, I'm their guy. I did once look up a logo/company name so I could answer a question correctly in order to continue the survey.

I have been tempted in the past to just come up with bullshit, but since I have no idea what they're looking for most of the time, it's not worth it.

They'll call you out on your poo poo sometimes if you give them crap answers that they've extrapolated from previous answers. I try to be as honest as possible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

They'll call you out on your poo poo sometimes if you give them crap answers that they've extrapolated from previous answers. I try to be as honest as possible.

Very good to know! Now I definitely won't be lying.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mrkillboy posted:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on sale on the Play Store for $3 (down from ten).

Also Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga has also popped up on the store.

Thanks for posting this. I had some survey funbux to spend so I had to grab this. ePSXe can wait I guess until I get more surveys.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

mrkillboy posted:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on sale on the Play Store for $3 (down from ten).

Does it play well on a larger phone (Droid Turbo), or is it something you'd probably want a tablet for?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

Thanks for posting this. I had some survey funbux to spend so I had to grab this. ePSXe can wait I guess until I get more surveys.

If you just want a Playstation emulator, Retroarch exists and is free!

I think I only post in this thread to remind people that Retroarch exists.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Theswarms posted:

If you just want a Playstation emulator, Retroarch exists and is free!

I think I only post in this thread to remind people that Retroarch exists.

I should try Retroarch with teh PS1 games. I already had it and enjoyed it for NES/SNES games.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just bought Dragonfall, and it's fun so far. I'm not too good at this type of game, but I like them, and I love the Shadowrun setting. Too bad it's based in the 2050s and not the 2070s...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I just bought Dragonfall, and it's fun so far. I'm not too good at this type of game, but I like them, and I love the Shadowrun setting. Too bad it's based in the 2050s and not the 2070s...

They remind you that with an epilogue that doesn't stray from what the RPG fluff says happened. Really puts a giant "gently caress you" touch on the end. At least in the regular non-directors cut version

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Does it play well on a larger phone (Droid Turbo), or is it something you'd probably want a tablet for?

It worked perfectly fine on my Galaxy Note 4, although the screen is fairly large.
It also ran pretty well.

Fingers crossed for KOTOR2!

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Roflcopter posted:

I'm a working dad with hardwood floors, but I think the surveys just don't come as often in the UK. :( To be honest it's such a small amount of money anyway, it's not even worth going too far out of my way just to get the have you been here? questions. But there's something compelling about making a bit of fun money for answering questions about myself.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 30, 2015

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
My last year with survey rewards

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

One Pigeon posted:

It worked perfectly fine on my Galaxy Note 4, although the screen is fairly large.
It also ran pretty well.

Fingers crossed for KOTOR2!

If they port KotoR2 to the Android/IOS, I hope they add in the content from the restoration mod.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Does Not Commute is pretty fun. You basically play against yourself as you try to drive a bunch of little cars to their destinations within a time limit and semi-simultaneously. All the cars have cute little interconnecting bios.

You can play through the whole game for free, but throw in a couple of bucks to enable checkpoints/gently caress yourself into a corner.

It heats my phone up to like a million degrees, so it's probably also good for people with cold hands.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I used to get surveys all the time because I work next to a Target but Google seemed to have wised up to it and I stopped getting them. I do work across the street from a Sprint store however and occasionally I'll get a survey asking me if I've been there recently.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
SwapQuest, a puzzle RPG that's pretty much the bastard child of Final Fantasy and Pipe Mania, is out now for Android.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Motorsport Manager is 30 cents. Finally, a use for my 44 cents of play credit!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

It is well worth it if you like management games.. ive played for several hours now.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

tater_salad posted:

It is well worth it if you like management games.. ive played for several hours now.

I have to say it's the best 30 cents I've spent in a long time, definitely worth the purchase.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

How big is Broken Age, in terms of file size? I just refunded it when I was told it was too big even after clearing out a bunch of games I don't play anymore. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't know how much space I need to empty.

Alternatively, is there a way to coax the Google Play store to install on an SD card? I have tons of space on my phone, just not much internal storage left.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

how worthwhile is this, assuming I know nothing about car racing beyond what a few random episodes of Top Gear taught me?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

wall monitor posted:

how worthwhile is this, assuming I know nothing about car racing beyond what a few random episodes of Top Gear taught me?

Everything is really simplified, you don't really have to know anything about motorsport to enjoy the game.

There's just something strangely compelling about seeing your two colored dots gradually become better than the other colored dots during the course of the season.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 1, 2015

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Everything is really simplified, you don't really have to know anything about motorsport to enjoy the game.

There's just something strangely compelling about seeing your two colored dots gradually become better than the other colored dots during the course of the season.

Oh, absolutely. I played Kairosoft's car racing sim and liked that, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a knowledge barrier or something since this looks moderately more realistic.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

wall monitor posted:

Oh, absolutely. I played Kairosoft's car racing sim and liked that, just wanted to make sure there wasn't a knowledge barrier or something since this looks moderately more realistic.

It's easy to pick it up since the game does a decent job of telling you important information. I'm bored to death by real life nascar and formula 1 but motorsport manager is strangely compelling.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Yeah, I don't care about or know much about real racing but I just lost an hour to Motorsport Manager. It's a really fun little game.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Funkmaster General posted:

How big is Broken Age, in terms of file size? I just refunded it when I was told it was too big even after clearing out a bunch of games I don't play anymore. I'd like to give it a shot but I don't know how much space I need to empty.

Alternatively, is there a way to coax the Google Play store to install on an SD card? I have tons of space on my phone, just not much internal storage left.

You can find the size of a game at the bottom of their Google Play page (on website and mobile). On mobile, you have to "click more" on the description them scroll to the bottom.

According to Google play, it's 1.82GB. That's fairly huge.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How are the in-app purchases for Motorsport Manager? From the praise it's gotten, nothing too egregious I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
You can buy the same currency you'd otherwise earn by playing the game. Considering earning the money for upgrades and whatnot is literally like half the point of the game I don't see why you ever would. The option to buy the money is also surprisingly well hidden.