Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think there's a rule of sorts for symbolism.

Salt's basically supposed to mean purity, hence when it's in a line it won't be able to be crossed and it's used for protection. Nothin spooky can get over it.

I remember an episode where they used salt to torture Alistair, but I think that was more like "Hey, torture the guy" and less "evict the demon" kinda stuff.

I don't think salt as a rule is demon anathema, but in a line, yea it's gonna be able to block spooky stuff.

I don't even recall salt being a demon thing; I thought it was a ghost thing. Haven't the torture scenes been with Holy Water, or is that just a more recent retcon?

There definitely was that early episode where the guy explained that voodoo black powder substance (goofer dust or something that sounds like that) to ward off Hellhounds. I assumed that was what warded demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dean forced a lot of salt into Alistair, and when everyone thought Sam was possessed in the season opener of 4 (with War) they dumped a lot of sand in his mouth.

That's the only times I can really remember it being used in abundance. Other than just salt shells which are gonna hurt like a bitch but not be fatal.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
So, and I'm not going to go into too many details, but I'm so happy to see that they are going to have both Deputy Andys on the same episode in the future. That might be fun!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Xealot posted:

I don't even recall salt being a demon thing; I thought it was a ghost thing. Haven't the torture scenes been with Holy Water, or is that just a more recent retcon?

There definitely was that early episode where the guy explained that voodoo black powder substance (goofer dust or something that sounds like that) to ward off Hellhounds. I assumed that was what warded demons.

Demons are pretty much just jacked up spirits/ghosts, so they aren't supposed to be able to cross a salt line either.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I'm not well versed on Felicia Day's career or lackthereof but has her face always looked like it was melted plastic or is it new

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Why don't they just hand off the mark to each other every now and then when they need a break? It didn't look like the process of transferring it was too complex.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because it's not something that's passed on from person to person like that. Cain was still rocking the mark after he gave it to Dean.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
The mark of Cain---like herpes, only shittier.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Angela Christine posted:

So they have a book that can fix any kind of damnation. Like, for instance, being locked in a cage with Micheal and Lucifer?

Their brother has been in there for hundreds of years local time by now, he must be crazy as hell. Still, just leaving him there and never mentioning it again seems a bit callous.

To be fair, that guy was a dick.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Hmm, it's no more stupid than drinking demon's blood to combat Lucifer, summoning the king of hell or death or a random crossroads demon, willingly going into purgatory, or hell, or heaven to gently caress over its residents, casting angels from heaven, randomly killing some monster kids non-violent mother, etc. I actually feel all of the things they've done are equally stupid which is why this is kind of old at this point.

Yeah, it's the same kind of stupid we've seen a dozen times by now, just with a different stupid frame.

I think there's a rule of sorts for symbolism.

Salt's basically supposed to mean purity, hence when it's in a line it won't be able to be crossed and it's used for protection. Nothin spooky can get over it.

I remember an episode where they used salt to torture Alistair, but I think that was more like "Hey, torture the guy" and less "evict the demon" kinda stuff.

I don't think salt as a rule is demon anathema, but in a line, yea it's gonna be able to block spooky stuff.

In the episode with the lady that got impregnated by a demon with psychic Antichrist kid (who, of course, has never been seen again since that episode), the lady said she got the demon out by cramming her mouth full of rock salt.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 21, 2015

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Rowena is a pretty good mom when she knows where her children are.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Watching the new episode now. I hope they explain why that girl decided to grab a hammer and randomly break through a wall to discover a safe she was surprised to find and had no idea what it was.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only way this is going to end amusingly is if after she explains everything he totally calls Crowley up and hands her over with a "You know, she totally hired me to kill you."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yaos posted:

Watching the new episode now. I hope they explain why that girl decided to grab a hammer and randomly break through a wall to discover a safe she was surprised to find and had no idea what it was.

Not much to explain. She was mad at her family and the wall was already marked for demolition so she took out her frustration by smashing something.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 23, 2015

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I like how the box killed everyone except for the person actually trying to open it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna miss the box. It was a pretty neat and intricate piece. I dug the clockwork.

Gonna miss it like the lock to the devil's gate from Season 2. That was a pretty awesome piece that never got used again :(

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

I like how the box killed everyone except for the person actually trying to open it.

I get the feeling that whatshername was affected by it too, but was able to just hold off (long enough for the spell to wear off/in perpetuity) and that Sam re-releasing the spell made it affect her all the more. Sam was down in the basement and was affected and saw Rowena as his illusion, so it clearly affected him despite being in the basement/messing with the box.

That's how I took it at least.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

mcswizzle posted:

I get the feeling that whatshername was affected by it too, but was able to just hold off (long enough for the spell to wear off/in perpetuity) and that Sam re-releasing the spell made it affect her all the more. Sam was down in the basement and was affected and saw Rowena as his illusion, so it clearly affected him despite being in the basement/messing with the box.

That's how I took it at least.

The yellow thing doesn't go into her eyes.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Yaos posted:

The yellow thing doesn't go into her eyes.

It didn't go into Sam's eyes either (that I remember seeing) but he was still affected.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mcswizzle posted:

It didn't go into Sam's eyes either (that I remember seeing) but he was still affected.

The box boomed on him off-screen.
The weird thing with Sam's illusion was that it actually helped him defeat itself. I guess it decided that was the best way to kill him since Rowena was the one illusion he would believe was real?

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only way this is going to end amusingly is if after she explains everything he totally calls Crowley up and hands her over with a "You know, she totally hired me to kill you."

That would be far too smart for any character on Supernatural, let alone one of the Winchester bros.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

That would be far too smart for any character on Supernatural, let alone one of the Winchester bros.

Touche. Was there some reason they offed Bobby and Rufus, by the way, or was just that just the worst decision ever on behalf of a TV show?

We just ended up watching through on Netflix recently before hitting this season so know nothing of that.

Spuzzz posted:

I loved how bad they hosed everything up. It was kind of hilarious and reminded me a little of how a typical job on GvsE would go, back when it was good (and not on Syfy), except they didn't play it as much for intentional laughs.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

raditts posted:

The box boomed on him off-screen.
The weird thing with Sam's illusion was that it actually helped him defeat itself. I guess it decided that was the best way to kill him since Rowena was the one illusion he would believe was real?

The only thing I can think of is that it wasn't an illusion by the box, but from Rowena herself (but an illusion nonetheless, since Dean didn't see her) trying to get Sam to open the Codex so she would have it for herself...just basically using the basics from the boxes curse to get Sam to do what she wanted. :iiam:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Spuzzz posted:

Apparently magic doesn't affect unconscious people.

I was glad to see Benny again even if he wasn't real.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
"Dean snapped." What?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
All that episode needed was that high contrast tint the show used to have. Felt like an old season episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love how Cas's rescue plan was to apparently have a multi-hour talk in a barn without hearing from the guy he went in with.

Also how he was being held hostage in what was clearly Bobby's house set that wasn't even really redressed was kind of amusing. Seriously if anyone on this show decided to opt for "kill" instead of "tie up" they'd be so boned.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously if anyone on this show decided to opt for "kill" instead of "tie up" they'd be so boned.

Well, it is still Supernatural. Tons of people have opted for kill...it never really sticks.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Because it's not something that's passed on from person to person like that. Cain was still rocking the mark after he gave it to Dean.

Then pass it on to every person on Earth and have Castiel drop the First Blade into a black hole so nobody can actually kill eachother. :v:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

Then pass it on to every person on Earth and have Castiel drop the First Blade into a black hole so nobody can actually kill eachother. :v:

Wouldn't that mean that everyone on earth becomes a demon upon "death" instead?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Voted Worst Mom posted:

"Dean snapped." What?

Ok, so I didn't miss something? I wanted to rewind, but I was afraid Hulu might explode and forget I'd already watched the commercials.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xealot posted:

Wouldn't that mean that everyone on earth becomes a demon upon "death" instead?

Supernatural is a prequel to Walking Dead.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
OMG we're almost to my dream spinoff - she even called it a home for wayward girls. Now we just need werewolf chick and adult-woman-turned-young girl and we're set.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I'm gonna be real mad if this season doesn't end with Rowena dead. She has got to be the most irritating person they've ever had on this show. She looks like a low-rent Madeline Kahn with none of the talent and only one, smug expression. Not to mention basically every scene she had with Crowley made him look like the biggest pansy in history. She sucks more than Adelind on Grimm.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Red Queen posted:

OMG we're almost to my dream spinoff - she even called it a home for wayward girls. Now we just need werewolf chick and adult-woman-turned-young girl and we're set.

Yeah, that sounds like the best possible strategy for the CW to take. "It's Supernatural, but with teenage girl leads." It'd be a million times better than Bloodlines.

I guess they'd still want some hot dudes with abs, though. Maybe they'll gender-inverse it and give the girls poison vaginas; every couple episodes, there's a new dead Amell.

Kruller posted:

[Rowena] sucks more than Adelind on Grimm.

Hey, now, don't say things you can't take back. Rowena isn't necessarily great, but she's competent at some stuff and has relatively consistent motivations. Adalind could only dream of such a thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Theme for the latter half of Season 10: "This thing you're doing never ends well, Sam".

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Welp, everyone who ever wanted Charlie dead, congratulations! The show just got infinitely more bearable for you! Me? Never had a problem with the character, or actress, but I don't feel anything will be lacking with her gone. Her logical bye bye point was Oz, but she didn't even last a season over that rainbow.

I'm digging the Frankensteins. Nice twist on an old yarn, it's about time they plucked from the Classics barrel again. Last time they did that we got Monster Movie, which was one of the best episodes of the series on my list. I like the legion of Stynes that Dean is gonna have to chew his way through, setting up for Mark of Cain overdrive. The only frustrating thing is there's no clarity to the danger here. They go on and on about how he's getting worse and the Marks gonna gently caress him up, but what exactly is gonna happen? He goes demon-ish again? (I'm not calling that full on demon because he was basically just midlife crisis Dean. loving and fighting for no real reason, maybe a little more murder than your standard upper middle class business exec, but the signs are all there) Pump him full of cure juice and buy yourselves another handful of months to figure our the codex. I mean is he gonna die? I don't think the Mark allows that anyway, so really, work with what you've got.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm signed up for the Rowena and Charlie spinoff

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Tonight had a good 10 second solid shot of a Surface tablet. I hope Supernatural isn't running out of money. :eek:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Yaos posted:

Tonight had a good 10 second solid shot of a Surface tablet. I hope Supernatural isn't running out of money. :eek:

Nah Microsoft is just throwing cash everywhere. The Surface tablet is used on NFL sidelines and has an offensively disproportionate focus for something that doesn't really matter & the NFL isn't running out of money anytime soon.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that's what you get for calling two doofuses that have to drive in by car instead of a motherfucking guy who can teleport and is several times as strong as the guys after you, Charlie.

Seriously if she called Castiel that whole scene would have been more like "Give me what's my--- my eyes!" and then he'd hit the ground a smoking husk. Everyone's just so dumb now, it's kind of hilarious. I mean we have the king of hell talking to a hamster with sinister music. As someone who started watching on Netflix and saw this all compressed into a few month time period, it's kind of surreal.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well, that's what you get for calling two doofuses that have to drive in by car instead of a motherfucking guy who can teleport and is several times as strong as the guys after you, Charlie.

Seriously if she called Castiel that whole scene would have been more like "Give me what's my--- my eyes!" and then he'd hit the ground a smoking husk. Everyone's just so dumb now, it's kind of hilarious. I mean we have the king of hell talking to a hamster with sinister music. As someone who started watching on Netflix and saw this all compressed into a few month time period, it's kind of surreal.
Castiel's wings are burned so he can't teleport any more. He can still raise her from the dead though, or maybe it's like in Final Fantasy where the phoenix down doesn't work during cutscenes.

I'm in the middle of watching it on the CW website. People augmenting themselves and secretly controlling the world? I think they need somebody that hasn't asked for this to help.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 7, 2015