Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

TwoQuestions posted:

There is no one who deserves mercy, everyone who has ever lived deserves Hell.

Our humanity and our not being parts of God already makes us wicked. Telling people that they can get forgiveness is like buying needles for a heroin addict; it may make people feel better in the meantime, but it's ultimately a harmful act, just like every other conceivable human act.

We're all damned. Deal with it.

No man deserves mercy, but Christ is merciful all the same.

CommieGIR posted:

Wrong.

Zeus will. Or Allah. Because all their claims are JUST AS VALID AS YOURS.

Seriously, its incredibly dense to say: "I know I have the one true religion, out of the thousands we've tried and left fall to myth or the thousands still around, I know I have the right one"

No1curr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Really seems like it would have made a lot more sense for God to have been merciful from the start rather than go through a bunch of evil and heinous poo poo culminating in human sacrifice. Are you sure you don't worship Quetzalcoatl?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What a comeback.

Miltank posted:

Christ is dead. Seriously, again, why is your religious more real than any of the others?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I don't give one hot poo poo about trying to objectively prove something to you which must be accepted on faith.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Miltank's god is a lot like Tinkerbell, if you don't believe in him he'll die. :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

I don't give one hot poo poo about trying to objectively prove something to you which must be accepted on faith.

So then why make claims about the reality of 'forgiveness' and sin when the only thing you have to go on is blind faith?

And how is your faith, which you talk about as if its a very objective and real thing, more valid than the faith of any of the other religions?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Miltank posted:

Why doesn't it bother you, though? If God is real, why wouldn't he be just an accepted part of reality, like gravity or the internal combustion engine or anything else? Why is blind faith so important to God? I mean, let's look at this from an outside perspective: God has put us in a world where, for the most part, the components of the world are demonstrable to some degree. Do I want to know what color an apple is? I can observe an apple. Do I want to know what an Australian accent sounds like? I can listen to an Australian. Do I want to know the molecular structure of water? Using scientific tools I can see with my own eyes, perceive with my own brain a water molecule.

But the most important decision of all - the single most important fact I have to accept or reject in my entire tenure on this Earth - is supposed to be accepted on hearsay alone? With nothing, no proof? I mean, I'm supposed to believe the story of Jesus, which was passed along orally for four decades before being written down, which was written in four (at least partially) contradictory accounts, which were then selected from among many by a council two centuries later, which was then translated and translated, copied by hand for hundreds more years, before being given to me? I get why "faith" in the sense of "trusting God to have you in his best interest" is considered a virtue, but this kind of faith is not that at all. I'm not being asked to have faith in God at this point, I'm being asked to have faith in many, many fallible men over centuries of time to not only have made no mistakes, but to have intended to make no mistakes, to be impartial and accurate about their reporting, to be ideologically neutral.

That kind of faith is an unreasonable ask, even from a deity.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Miltank posted:

No man deserves mercy,
Why? Why is God so arrogant as to believe that no one can spend time in his special little club unless they follow by his arbitrary set of rules? Why does God debase his own creations?
If God debases his own creations, he debases himself.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I didn't really read past people making this assumption initially, but the story of the Garden of Eden is transparently metaphorical and an explanation for why humans are different from other animals.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Miltank posted:

Wrong again. There's no "must" about it at all. You've very clearly already stated you choose to believe this inane thing. Neither you nor anyone else is under any obligation to accept things on faith.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hello Sailor posted:

Wrong again. There's no "must" about it at all. You've very clearly already stated you choose to believe this inane thing. Neither you nor anyone else is under any obligation to accept things on faith.

I think possibly the intent there was that if you are going to believe in god you are going to have to do it based on faith, not that you are required to do it in general.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OwlFancier posted:

I think possibly the intent there was that if you are going to believe in god you are going to have to do it based on faith, not that you are required to do it in general.

Well, no. All someone would have to do to hold a reasonable belief in a god of some sort is have good evidence for one. Believing that faith is a requirement is rather silly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is arguable that if you are inclined to view any given event as evidence for the existence of god, you are already posessed of rather a large amount of faith in his existence, or at least an abundance of credulity.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
What if religion was conceptualized more like morality? There's no objective evidence that mass murder is evil, because it's impossible to have an objective morality, but most people are content to believe in regardless.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Series DD Funding posted:

What if religion was conceptualized more like morality? There's no objective evidence that mass murder is evil, because it's impossible to have an objective morality, but most people are content to believe in regardless.

Barring the possibility of certain extreme and highly unlikely circumstances, mass murder is objectively detrimental to human well-being.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hello Sailor posted:

Barring the possibility of certain extreme and highly unlikely circumstances, mass murder is objectively detrimental to human well-being.

Depends on who you mass murder.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hello Sailor posted:

What if you're mass-murdering non-believers, though?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But detrimental by whose standard, and can you call that standard objective?

You could only do that under the belief that reality itself was arbitrary and subject to choice ie- a kind of idealism.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Hello Sailor posted:

Okay, but you're assuming that human well-being is good. Is the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement objectively evil?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Okay, but you're assuming that human well-being is good. Is the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement objectively evil?
One of the apparent preconditions of Jesus returning is "there will be few believers left." Despite this, Christian churches encourage at least baseline reproduction and for the most part are at least open to new converts, if not actively prosyletizing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I didn't mention evil or good at all, actually. Like "free will" or "absolute certainty", these are concepts that don't jive with our current understanding of how things work. Because we're human and have an interest in human well-being bred into us by the process of evolution, we view human well-being as a goal. Mass murder is objectively detrimental to that goal in most situations and can't be said to be objectively beneficial to it under any situation I can think of.

If you can't tell the difference between mass murder and a few folks who claim to have decided that humanity should go away, yet aren't actually acting on that claim (either by mass murder or "leading by example"), then I don't know what to tell you.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 1, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

One of the apparent preconditions of Jesus returning is "there will be few believers left." Despite this, Christian churches encourage at least baseline reproduction and for the most part are at least open to new converts, if not actively prosyletizing.

The end times sound pretty horrible though, like a bad acid trip coming to life.

If I were a Christian I wouldn't want that to happen in my lifetime either. Let me die fat and happy, miss all the bad poo poo, then wake up in my new kickass body when it's time for the judging.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWAupM99I4

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

You know he's bisexual right?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Kyrie's new av reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sf-hErZdlY

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This thread is interesting. Everyone must know that Kizza Elizza and pink cow av are trolling, yet people keep writing long, effort-filled responses.

To both "sides" in this: please stop conflating whether believing in this stuff encourages good or bad behaviour with whether or not it's true.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dzhay posted:

This thread is interesting. Everyone must know that Kizza Elizza and pink cow av are trolling, yet people keep writing long, effort-filled responses.

To both "sides" in this: please stop conflating whether believing in this stuff encourages good or bad behaviour with whether or not it's true.

I think pink cow av is entirely sincere.

And I think that perpetuating false information is a form of bad behavior. Doing good things for bad reasons is only a temporary lucky situation, and we shouldn't be too satisfied with it. Soon, the same people will do bad things for the same reasons we were just OK with, and it's pretty hypocritical to only call them out on it then.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Trent posted:

And I think that perpetuating false information is a form of bad behavior.

Well, indeed. So do I. But I didn't feel like trying to convince anyone here of that. I was primarily complaining about people running the implications in the other direction.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Dzhay posted:

Just because the religious case is patently absurd and has no supporting evidence whatsoever doesn't mean the people advocating for it aren't arguing in earnest.

Except Kyrie, he is a caricature.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Hello Sailor posted:

I didn't mention evil or good at all, actually. Like "free will" or "absolute certainty", these are concepts that don't jive with our current understanding of how things work. Because we're human and have an interest in human well-being bred into us by the process of evolution, we view human well-being as a goal. Mass murder is objectively detrimental to that goal in most situations and can't be said to be objectively beneficial to it under any situation I can think of.

If you can't tell the difference between mass murder and a few folks who claim to have decided that humanity should go away, yet aren't actually acting on that claim (either by mass murder or "leading by example"), then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah... it's also objectively detrimental to my goals to eat a bag of potato chips, but that doesn't stop me.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yeah... it's also objectively detrimental to my goals to eat a bag of potato chips, but that doesn't stop me.

You've already sufficiently demonstrated that you're either trolling or mentally ill. Get therapy and/or go away.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Dzhay posted:

That's what makes me keep coming back. Kyrie is a fantastic troll.

10/10, voted 5, keep up the good work Kyrie

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Dzhay posted:

In the highly unlikely scenario that God does not exist, it would still be wisest to be a traditionalist Christian. This is because Christianity provides the sort of advice that can guide your life properly. Otherwise you risk falling into all sorts of traps and foolishness. Not only sexual immorality, but also greed, or an obsession with being liked and respected by normie scum.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

In the highly unlikely scenario that God does not exist, it would still be wisest to be a traditionalist Christian. This is because Christianity provides the sort of advice that can guide your life properly. Otherwise you risk falling into all sorts of traps and foolishness. Not only sexual immorality, but also greed, or an obsession with being liked and respected by normie scum.

In lieu of Christianity, who gets to decide what "sexual immorality" even is?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

Why specifically Christian, as opposed to Muslim or Buddhist?

In a hypothetical atheistic world, I'd say Buddhism is the real winner, because Buddhism does not require a God. (They do not, as I recall, deny one, so much as say it's irrelevant - the equivalent of speculating on whether Jesus would post on SA or Reddit.)

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Why specifically Christian, as opposed to Muslim or Buddhist?

In a hypothetical atheistic world, I'd say Buddhism is the real winner, because Buddhism does not require a God. (They do not, as I recall, deny one, so much as say it's irrelevant - the equivalent of speculating on whether Jesus would post on SA or Reddit.)

Definitely not Islam, way too restrictive and silly. A person should be able to have a beer.

Buddhism isn't a very constructive form of living because it's all about detachment from everything and accepting death. It's more like a constructive form of dying. It has a placidity and laziness to it.

Christianity on the other hand rebels against death and insists on life. It is about the struggle to achieve the greatest virtue possible, which makes a life thrive. So it assures the most well-lived life as a result.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Christianity on the other hand rebels against death and insists on life. It is about the struggle to achieve the greatest virtue possible, which makes a life thrive. So it assures the most well-lived life as a result.

Counterpoint: You?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Shouldn't a dude be able to gently caress a butt kyrie? Look deep within yourself.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

Definitely not Islam, way too restrictive and silly. A person should be able to have a beer.

Definitely not Christianity, way too restrictive and silly. A person should be able to have a buttsex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Christianity is superior, even if God didn't exist. It emphasizes the autonomy of the individual, it sets a higher standard for human morality than what the 'average' person would do (ie a person who abuses a position of power is unambiguously evil), and its holy texts deify radical egalitarian dissent.

E: Muhammad was a false prophet. :(

• Locked thread