Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

I didn't like cameron espsoito the first time she was on the show but i did like her this time, and i think its just because she was better on the show this time. that said, i specifically remember thinking halfway through the show "this straight cis white man cameron esposito is pretty funny, like all people who fit into those demographic categories and specifically just those people". cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I don't like Cameron either typically but she was really funny this episode. I think because she wasn't riding on the lesbian schtick.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Shnooks posted:

the lesbian schtick.

:dogbutton:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I didn't care for Scott Aukerman when he was riding his straight guy schtick, always talking about his wife.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Shnooks posted:

I think because she wasn't riding on the lesbian schtick.

My wiiiife and me found her funny on No You Shut Up, so we watched some of her standup. I think the "schtick" you're running into is that she's a relatively new comedian, and she kinda falls back to established jokes because she lacks a really large backlog. Some of it strikes me as a defense mechanism thing, and we definitely noticed it as we watched more of her standup/interviews, but I think it's really just a symptom of being newly popular-ish and falling back on known safe zones. You'd see the same thing with a good deal of ANY comic just starting out/starting to come into their own.

There was an ancient Louie CK standup special from the 90's on HBO GO or Amazon we watched a few months ago. That was excrutiating for similar reasons. Just give her some time and don't judge her future output on the limited stuff she's done so far.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm usually not a fan of Chris Rock and his black schtick but he was pretty good on his last appearance. Same with Aziz Ansari and his relationships-in-modern-times schtick. Wish Louis CK would drop his middle aged dad schtick! Hey Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn, we get it. You're nerds! Yo Trevor Noah, Apartheid ended 20 years ago. You can stop with the whole race relations schtick.

Everytime Cameron makes a podcast appearance, this place reads like the Kotaku comments section. Every comedian has a shtick. Newer comics rely on it more than comics doing it 20 years. What it comes down to is people uncomfortable with a gay woman talking about what it's like to be a gay woman in an age where gays have more rights that ever but still face homophobia in subtle ways (besides all the obvious state sponsored ways). Like calling her experiences a schtick.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 1, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mordecai's "taking one comment and blowing it up to include the whole forums" schtick is getting pretty tired, I wish he would expand his posting act.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
He may be over-reacting, but he's right that minority comics get a surprising of undeserved poo poo for doing material about being that minority. If Maria Bamford does a set that's like 90% being a neurotic, depressed middle-aged white lady no one acts like it's a "schtick" that needs to be dropped, it's understood that this is her comic persona and her chosen subject matter. Of course Cameron Esposito wasn't "riding her lesbian schtick", this wasn't Ask A Lesbian Part 4 or her stand-up comedy act about being a lesbian.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
WHy, of all comedians to pick, Maria bamford.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Every comedian should act like a straight white middle class able-bodied man of a healthy weight or risk being totally unrelatable.
:colbert:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mr. Squishy posted:

WHy, of all comedians to pick, Maria bamford.

Yeah, she's the best.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I think she was mentioned specifically because she's universally loved (obviously) but still has a very specific and well-defined wheelhouse. It's a supportive "this is good, so why not that" comparison

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Maria Bamford is terrible and her "depressed housewife persona" is awful.

I don't care if she does comedy about being a minority, I just feel like her jokes are kind of blah about it.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

My wiiiife and me found her funny on No You Shut Up, so we watched some of her standup. I think the "schtick" you're running into is that she's a relatively new comedian, and she kinda falls back to established jokes because she lacks a really large backlog. Some of it strikes me as a defense mechanism thing, and we definitely noticed it as we watched more of her standup/interviews, but I think it's really just a symptom of being newly popular-ish and falling back on known safe zones. You'd see the same thing with a good deal of ANY comic just starting out/starting to come into their own.

Pretty much that.

There's plenty of ways to be funny about whatever minority group you're in. There's also a lot of ways to not be funny about it.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 2, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Cameron Esposito is hilarious and adorable. Hope this helps!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Poopy Palpy posted:

I didn't care for Scott Aukerman when he was riding his straight guy schtick, always talking about his wife.

His former girlfriend (who he later married.)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Shnooks posted:

Maria Bamford is terrible

I'm glad someone has finally come out and said this. Even though it's wrong.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Maria Bamford is terrible

How dare you slam the Bam.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
If you hate the bammer there is something wrong with you

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah endlessly complaining about recent guests of the show isnt good enough anymore. Let's poo poo on maria bamford for no reason.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
This show sucks and I'm sick of alt comedy. The only good guest in the last year was Tom green explaining that he enjoys creating content.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
the only guest i have ever liked was the guy that poo poo all over harris wittles bad foam corner. those jokes aren't even funny

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

This show sucks and I'm sick of alt comedy. The only good guest in the last year was Tom green explaining that he enjoys creating content.

EDIt: also andy daly is literally stalin

cams
Mar 28, 2003

imo this discussion of what people do and do not find funny is funnier than anything comedy bang bang ever did. this should be a podcast.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I hate this podcast. The only good thing is never listening to it.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I tried listening to superego today but I don't think I like it though there are some funny bits. It feels so, i dunno, edited? I think I'd like it better without like the sound effects and production and it was just the comedians

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

I tried listening to superego today but I don't think I like it though there are some funny bits. It feels so, i dunno, edited? I think I'd like it better without like the sound effects and production and it was just the comedians

Just think of it as a sketch show rather than an improv show. Some other edited improv podcasts (ie Make Yourself Comfy) do the same "improvise then edit" thing, but Superego actually has them go back and do multiple takes and they prompt each other to do things. I think it's just equivalent to a sketch that happened to be written on the spot.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

feedmyleg posted:

Just think of it as a sketch show rather than an improv show. Some other edited improv podcasts (ie Make Yourself Comfy) do the same "improvise then edit" thing, but Superego actually has them go back and do multiple takes and they prompt each other to do things. I think it's just equivalent to a sketch that happened to be written on the spot.

Yeah, I guess maybe I just don't like sketch comedy that much. So im left wishing there was more unedited improving

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Yeah, I guess maybe I just don't like sketch comedy that much. So im left wishing there was more unedited improving

Assuming you already listen to I4H, I'd recommend You Tell It, a new podcast from the UCBNY crew. Nobody "big" on there, but a lot of great improvisers from the New York improv community. ASSSSCAT/Armando style show, solid improv with some storytelling. Make Yourself Comfy is also fun and shares some of the same crew, but does have sound effects - though very minimal editing. The Todd Glass Show can be looked at through the lens of being a sketch show written on the fly but with no editing. But it's not for everyone.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

feedmyleg posted:

Assuming you already listen to I4H, I'd recommend You Tell It, a new podcast from the UCBNY crew. Nobody "big" on there, but a lot of great improvisers from the New York improv community. ASSSSCAT/Armando style show, solid improv with some storytelling. Make Yourself Comfy is also fun and shares some of the same crew, but does have sound effects - though very minimal editing. The Todd Glass Show can be looked at through the lens of being a sketch show written on the fly but with no editing. But it's not for everyone.

Yeah I listen to i4h and its really good but can be uneven as sometimes the improv feels too much like a cover song of the anecdote or video they just heard or if besser gets stuck on a topic like that guy yelling at the trumpet player that was never funny but can't let it go. The live shows where they can check their bits against an audience's laughter are usually really good episodes as is anything with gabrus. Thanks for the recs on the other stuff though I'll check em out

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I feel like improv is crucial to Superego because a lot of the funniest stuff is the weird loose unpolished rambling, like Matt Gourley's legendary "confidently start a sentence with no earthly idea how to end it" thing, or people understandably becoming confused about what's happening ("I'm a woman"). I had the same initial reaction - that it seemed overproduced - but it grows on you. It takes a few episodes to get the format, IMO.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 2, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Periodiko posted:

I feel like improv is crucial to Superego because a lot of the funniest stuff is the weird loose unpolished rambling, like Matt Gourley's legendary "confidently start a sentence with no earthly idea how to end it" thing, or people understandably becoming confused about what's happening ("I'm a woman"). I had the same initial reaction - that it seemed overproduced - but it grows on you. It takes a few episodes to get the format, IMO.

That and because there's a bunch of sketches in each there's bound to be some you don't like as much. Like Cylon jim and Phil do nothing for me at all, but then two minutes later you get a Family Feud with Patton Oswalt having a nervous breakdown and everything's fine again.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The one karaoke section redeemed Cylon Jim and Phil for me, but otherwise yeah it's pretty weak.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I miss Roy Cabras. I guess Jeff Davis is too busy making bathtubs full of money doing ComedySportz.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Periodiko posted:

The production becomes a necessity when you hear their unedited segments, because the environment that encourages such silly, unpredictable improv also requires a lot of time for exploration (as heard in that link)

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I'm literally the only person who said he didn't enjoy Cameron Esposito in this episode but you guys sure love bitching about any sort of criticism of a guest. And if I'm not allowed to call out her hacky lesbian schtick I give up on being a gay alternative comedy nerd. If you only ever make jokes about some shallow, one word aspect of yourself like the fact that you're fat or gay I stand by thinking you're a lame comedian. She goes to that well A LOT (happily not in this appearance which I acknowledged).

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Also Maria bamford isnt funny

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The line-up for today's anniversary show is completely insane.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Oh if only I could post in this thread but the ~TIME KEEPER~ code forbids me

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I thought the month abbreviations would have to come to an end this week, but Scott found a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Wax Lion posted:

I'm literally the only person who said he didn't enjoy Cameron Esposito in this episode but you guys sure love bitching about any sort of criticism of a guest. And if I'm not allowed to call out her hacky lesbian schtick I give up on being a gay alternative comedy nerd. If you only ever make jokes about some shallow, one word aspect of yourself like the fact that you're fat or gay I stand by thinking you're a lame comedian. She goes to that well A LOT (happily not in this appearance which I acknowledged).

Except for Gabriel Iglesias right? Every time he says "fluffy" I LOL.