Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

d0s posted:

Really good advice, it's really easy to have cords break at the point they connect with the controller for older controllers. Some modern controllers (including the Dreamcast but excluding the PS2 and gamecube) reinforce that area so it's usually OK, but I still avoid it even on reinforced ones.

Does anyone have some weird little doodad that makes this super easy? I know that's a weird thing to ask for, but people in this thread are known to have all sorts of lyfehax. Also my genesis six button controller has the cord coming out at almost a 90 degree angle and its making me anxious.

Also I watched "Video Games: The Movie" and I guess it was alright. Kinda felt like it was jumping around randomly in the history of games. Also I don't think anyone reading this thread is gonna learn anything from this movie they haven't already heard a bunch of times.

There was one thing that I thought was funny.

oh yeah my favorite game! zelda octarina!

Oh yeah two of my favorite Dreamcast games! Half-life and Starcraft!

I mean, I get that those are two games that were released in 1998, but why in the other picture does it have Ocarina of Time in 1996?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It was not a good movie.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Until I looked closer I thought you'd ordered that KOTH/Sailor Moon picture as a mousepad and it made me realize I really want a mousepad or a posted of that picture

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Caitlin posted:

Suikoden 3 is really good tho.

e : loving gently caress how do I keep starting new pages? Let me find something to post here.

Here we go. I mounted my marquees over the weekend.

This is probably the dumbest question in a personal history of dumb questions, but what are those things you've used to mount your marquees called? I have a marquee collection I've been meaning to mount but I've been waffling on the how of it, and yours look great.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Erluk posted:

Does anyone have some weird little doodad that makes this super easy? I know that's a weird thing to ask for, but people in this thread are known to have all sorts of lyfehax. Also my genesis six button controller has the cord coming out at almost a 90 degree angle and its making me anxious.

Also I watched "Video Games: The Movie" and I guess it was alright. Kinda felt like it was jumping around randomly in the history of games. Also I don't think anyone reading this thread is gonna learn anything from this movie they haven't already heard a bunch of times.

There was one thing that I thought was funny.

oh yeah my favorite game! zelda octarina!

Oh yeah two of my favorite Dreamcast games! Half-life and Starcraft!

I mean, I get that those are two games that were released in 1998, but why in the other picture does it have Ocarina of Time in 1996?

You don't remember Zelda Octarina? It was the game where Link had to rescue an octorok princess, it's best you forgot.

Also Half-Life is legit one of my favorite Dreamcast games.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is probably the dumbest question in a personal history of dumb questions, but what are those things you've used to mount your marquees called? I have a marquee collection I've been meaning to mount but I've been waffling on the how of it, and yours look great.

Just search for Mirror clips or mounts. You see them a lot in older homes.

http://www.amazon.com/OOK-50225-20-Pound-Plastic-4-Piece/dp/B000FSOG70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430505393&sr=8-1&keywords=mirror+clips

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

d0s posted:

Really good advice, it's really easy to have cords break at the point they connect with the controller for older controllers. Some modern controllers (including the Dreamcast but excluding the PS2 and gamecube) reinforce that area so it's usually OK, but I still avoid it even on reinforced ones.

One of my Dreamcast controllers is broken exactly where the cable meets the controller. :(

I've been wondering if it would be more worth it to try and fix it, or to just buy a new controller.

Erluk posted:

Also I watched "Video Games: The Movie"

I am so sorry you put yourself through that garbage.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The E.T. documentary that's up on Netflix right now is better, but it's still not great. The filmmaker was terrible at presenting information and kept trying to layer a narrative on top of the natural one that didn't work at all. At the same time, though, I appreciate the ending where they try to redeem E.T.'s reputation a bit.

There's a lot of bad video game documentaries that have been made in the past ten years. I watched Special When Lit about pinball and Chasing Ghosts about the arcade champions featured in the famous Life magazine article and neither were really worth it. Both of them employed a bit of the freak show obsessives that you see in a lot of recent documentaries about subcultures ("Look at how into this thing these people are! Aren't they weird?"); I find that tiresome even in good documentaries like Word Wars. Neither film had a good idea of how to build their narrative and just slopped around from topic to topic almost randomly. And there's way too much time spent justifying their topics; if you've got something interesting to say then you don't need to tell me how interesting what you have to say is.

I think there's plenty of room to tell the good stories around video games. I'd watch a documentary about Caitlin's back and forth duel to hold the Splatterhouse record in a heartbeat, for example. It's just no one seems to have made a good video game documentary past King of Kong yet.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Just discovered the official DC lightgun does work with the US release of Virtua Cop 2, on the otherwise terrible Sega Smash Pack disc. I think what happened is that VC2 was released as a standalone game in Japan and they just slapped that release on the disc unmodified, since the game is in english no matter what. Would also explain why that's a perfect port of the arcade game and the rest of the games on the disc are terribly emulated.

The official DC lightgun itself is one of the best I've ever used, really comfortable and nice weight, I wish I could figure out a way to make it work with all US releases. Tried swapping in the guts of the MadCatz gun but they don't fit right :(

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Awesome, thank you.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

Just discovered the official DC lightgun does work with the US release of Virtua Cop 2, on the otherwise terrible Sega Smash Pack disc. I think what happened is that VC2 was released as a standalone game in Japan and they just slapped that release on the disc unmodified, since the game is in english no matter what. Would also explain why that's a perfect port of the arcade game and the rest of the games on the disc are terribly emulated.

The official DC lightgun itself is one of the best I've ever used, really comfortable and nice weight, I wish I could figure out a way to make it work with all US releases. Tried swapping in the guts of the MadCatz gun but they don't fit right :(

Try using the PAL or JP version and it should work fine. The US version locks out the official guns.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Collection photos, you guys say?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's so hot it should be marked :nws:

I need to rejigger the LEDs I had behind my 4x2 expedit also, poo poo looks awesome, like yours.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

You can click the images of the game shelves for super huge if you want to read titles. I keep most of my consoles in drawers and just pull them out and hook them up when I want to use one. Everything except for NES/Famicom Twin and PCE is RGB SCART through component. I really need to organize my controller drawers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kind of tempted to post pics but what little of my shelves isn't a mess (and not two layers deep) is still a mishmash of movie DVD`s/Blu-rays and games. Long overdue for an overhaul/dynamiting.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
gently caress yeah collection photos.

I have to do some cleaning.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You don't get to say you have a big collection until one of your shelves break due to the sheer weight of games on it.

This is why my Xbox games and 360 games are in a pile, my sony shelf came crashing down on it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Arcade sticks, handhelds, interesting controllers

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This is my wii/Gamecube shelf, check out that awesome shelf lean. It's about to buckle.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Misc consoles, old computer setup (old pics, I moved and haven't got the chance to set this stuff up again)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I threatened my partner with either driving an hour to pick up a 60" Panasonic plasma for the living room to reclaim my plasma. He caved and let me swap tvs so now my office is rather absurd now :pwn:

So pretty though.

Edit: and why it matters (smaller screen is faster always and has 1 frame latency so add 13.37 to the difference of the two for total latency-

LED LCD input latency:

Plasma:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 1, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

So I threatened my partner with either driving an hour to pick up a 60" Panasonic plasma for the living room to reclaim my plasma. He caved and let me swap tvs so now my office is rather absurd now :pwn:

So pretty though.

I want to replace the LCD I use for modern stuff with a plasma so bad. Why did I even buy an LCD in the first place ugh

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

I want to replace the LCD I use for modern stuff with a plasma so bad. Why did I even buy an LCD in the first place ugh

I only bought it because it was cheap as gently caress but I didn't know Samsung does that god-awful dimming bullshit. I've had this plasma since 2009 but my partner totally bogarted the screen for the living room because it was 4" bigger.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
d0s I'm going to rob you fyi

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Kazvall posted:

This was some years ago. I just remember him taking it out and being really surprised that the cords wrapped tight around the system had messed up the main body. Quite possible it was stored in a hot place making it all much worse.

It's actually whatever softener (plasticizer in english?) they use for the cable mantle. It reacts chemically with the plastic cases on longer exposure, literally melting it while the cable eats it's way into the case. Always store such things in a way that the cables don't have direct contact with the cases.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Once I get my new storage and put everything away on Monday I'll post pics of my very very meager collection.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Since everyone's posting collection pics might as well flop mine out as well

forgot to throw my green N64 in there. Oops.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Holy poo poo, d0s wins this thread.

d0s posted:

Everything except for NES/Famicom Twin and PCE is RGB SCART through component. I really need to organize my controller drawers.

Nevermind. Mod those fuckers dude.

Have you used that Namco steering controller? Ages ago when I worked at FuncoLand we had one of those come in, and I thought it was the coolest thing. Never did test it though.

Impressive showing. I'm the meowbox

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Nothing like getting to the end of a level in Yoshi's Island and missing one red coin.

Especially when that level is Kamek's Revenge.

:negative:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Maybe I'll take this opportunity to go clean up my collection to be postable, thanks for the influence thread. Right now my beatmania setup is taking up my expedit, but I might finally move it into my home theater and set my consoles back up.

Also, flyboi you've got a custom shell on your PSP right? I want one for my silver PSP2000, preferably also silver, since my original one is beat to absolute gently caress. Where can I get a good quality one from? Buttons are fine, just need the front and back pieces / UMD cover.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

Maybe I'll take this opportunity to go clean up my collection to be postable, thanks for the influence thread. Right now my beatmania setup is taking up my expedit, but I might finally move it into my home theater and set my consoles back up.

Also, flyboi you've got a custom shell on your PSP right? I want one for my silver PSP2000, preferably also silver, since my original one is beat to absolute gently caress. Where can I get a good quality one from? Buttons are fine, just need the front and back pieces / UMD cover.

Nope, mines the green Metal Gear peace walker edition

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Ohhhhh I forgot that was a thing. Very nice.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
To the guy earlier posting how pixel-perfect isn't always the best using power rangers as an example - with the right hardware it looks just fine :shepface:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Go go... power rangers?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Silhouette posted:

Minecraft is a poo poo non-game.

It's really not though? Like, yeah, creative mode is, but survival and especially hardcore are kinda like a roguelite.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
oh for gently caress's sake

here's what came in the mail today that is absolutely not minecraft

e : and yes, I used mirror clips to hold up the marquees and it was a bitch to mount everything level because nothing in my home is level, so I have to eyeball everything as "level" is relative. I used two small nails to figure out if I was happy with the placement and then used the nail holes to determine where to put the anchors/screws.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flyboi posted:

To the guy earlier posting how pixel-perfect isn't always the best using power rangers as an example - with the right hardware it looks just fine :shepface:

Poor Billy :( . As a character, he was kind of the dead weight of the team, his actor supposedly got a lot of poo poo from the production staff for being gay, and even in the game he looks more like a "very special episode" Downs syndrome kid palling along on a day trip with the Rangers, rather than an actual member.

But hey, "Pink Ranger" Amy Jo Johnson with a GBC:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/Amy_Jo_Johnson_cropped.jpg

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Something's up with the Super Nintendo. I plug it in and I don't get any video, just static like nothing's plugged in. Sometimes I get distorted video for a second and that's it. From the distorted video I know the console's working. I've tried a million RF cables and all my TVs. :mad:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 2, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Something's up with the Super Nintendo. I plug it in and I don't get any video. Sometimes I get distorted video for a second and that's it. I've tried a million RF cables and all my TVs. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhfZVd9N9ww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

COLLECTION PICS!

Kinda a mess at the TV atm. I was testing systems/displays.

Li'l drawer with a li'l PS one.

Parts, pieces, projects.

Boxed systems in storage.

Systems I play in storage.

My corner of the garage. Everything I love boxed up until we buy a house(all but like 4 of those boxes are games.) :smith:

• Locked thread