Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

simplefish posted:

Then the question - and bearing in mind that it wasn't my question, so I am guessing - would seem to be along the lines of whether a useful amount of fuel could be carried in a Greyhound, if it is limited not by catapult launch weight limits but rather by maximum gross weight limits

(I don't mean to sound snippy, I'm not, in fact I'm learning - having never seen a tanker plane in person before - but I'm just trying to be clear. Thank you for taking the time to answer!)
It's not worth it. Keep in mind that, dimensionally, the Greyhound isn't much larger than a Super Hornet.

(Regular Hornet for scale. drat, the F-14 was big.)

According to Navy.mil, the C-2A can deliver a combined payload of 10,000 pounds over a distance in excess of 1,000 nm. Assuming the AR system and tanks weigh ~1,500 lbs, usable offload would be 8,500 lbs depending on fuel burn. For comparison, according to AFPAM 10-1403, a KC-135 can deliver 99,400 lbs of usable fuel with a 1,000 nm mission radius. There's also the massive optimum cruise difference between the Hornet and the Greyhound.

The Navy already has Super Hornet tanker configurations that take care of the organic tanking role better than the C-2 could.

EDIT: Found some better scale pictures, click for huge:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's not worth it. Keep in mind that, dimensionally, the Greyhound isn't much larger than a Super Hornet.

According to Navy.mil, the C-2A can deliver a combined payload of 10,000 pounds over a distance in excess of 1,000 nm. Assuming the AR system and tanks weigh ~1,500 lbs, usable offload would be 8,500 lbs depending on fuel burn. For comparison, according to AFPAM 10-1403, a KC-135 can deliver 99,400 lbs of usable fuel with a 1,000 nm mission radius. There's also the massive optimum cruise difference between the Hornet and the Greyhound.

The Navy already has Super Hornet tanker configurations that take care of the organic tanking role better than the C-2 could.

Oh theres a bettercrazier solution

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh theres a bettercrazier solution

It's been done, but they can't get the wings to fold so it will fit below decks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm sure Lockheed can figure something out for $$$$$

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've got it: KC-130 seaplane. I'm sure there won't be any problems on the high seas with carrier-seaplane fuel transfers!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I want to see them try to get a swing-wing Hercules covered by the type certificate.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

I want to see them try to get a swing-wing Hercules covered by the type certificate.

Variable geometry VSTOL F-35

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hobbesmaster posted:

But it says that the generators would have to be running for that time, not the rest of the aircraft. So if the engines were off this wouldn't be an issue, right?

Not the generators themselves, the generator control units. So, the brains controlling the generators. So, it's much more plausible that those could be kept running if the plane itself was never fully unpowered.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Is a type certificate even a thing for military aircraft?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm sure Lockheed can figure something out for $$$$$

hobbesmaster posted:

I've got it: KC-130 seaplane. I'm sure there won't be any problems on the high seas with carrier-seaplane fuel transfers!

Come on man, you're right there... CLEARLY LockMart should slap together a USMC truly fully VTOL Herc. :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

Is a type certificate even a thing for military aircraft?

Not really, it's a civil regulation. Some of the stuff Big Safari does would turn the FAA's hair white. That said, I think some mil aircraft (like the C-130) fall under the type cert for their civil counterparts when operated in civilian fleets.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
With regard to Navy tanking stuff, an article from USNI last year claimed that the Navy is looking into using UAVs as the tankers themselves: http://news.usni.org/2014/04/01/uclass-used-tanker-carrier-air-wing

quote:

The U.S. Navy is considering using its forthcoming Unmanned Carrier Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike (UCLASS) aircraft as an aerial refueling tanker to free up its fleet of Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets for more strike missions, several sources told USNI News.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

Solve that problem (and get political support) by spending more money by building specialized seaplane tenders. They were a thing once upon a time.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

hobbesmaster posted:

Bring back Consolidated, PBY-130

e: I hit google after typing and well poo poo, that's awesome :unsmith: alright industry, make seaplane versions of fighter jets instead

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 2, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I dont know why that made me think of this instantly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li72poyZsdA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That's clearly ridiculous. I said sea plane, not float plane!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

e: I hit google after typing and well poo poo, that's awesome :unsmith: alright industry, make seaplane versions of fighter jets instead

Like the A6M2-N?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Make it a gunship and we have a deal.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

hobbesmaster posted:

Bring back the SeaMaster.

Dammit.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dead Reckoning posted:

EDIT: Found some better scale pictures, click for huge:

Great reply and nice pics, thanks

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That's clearly ridiculous. I said sea plane, not float plane!

http://atomictoasters.com/2013/02/hercules-goes-for-a-swim/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mortabis posted:

The C-2 doesn't carry much in the way of weight. This was discussed in the TFR cold war/airpower thread; there's probably enough gas for two Hornets.

The Marines have developed a tanker system for V-22s that rolls in and out of the cargo door. The Navy is switching to the V-22 for COD by 2022. Perhaps those will be used for refueling. V-22s can carry about as much weight as a C-2, 10 tons or so.

Except a C-2 can fly at altitude above weather for easier/smoother hookups, while the V-22 can't.

Obviously we need to get some Fokker on the problem:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Except a C-2 can fly at altitude above weather for easier/smoother hookups, while the V-22 can't.

This image is breaking my brain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

holocaust bloopers posted:

If you think that's ludicrous: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/05/airliners-landing-aircraft-carrier-oh-yes/

*and*

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

If a f-111b can operate off a carrier a regional jet can too!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

:chloe:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

A Sea-130?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Duke Chin posted:

Come on man, you're right there... CLEARLY LockMart should slap together a USMC truly fully VTOL Herc. :colbert:

Variable-geometry Hercules?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would love to see that 1/6 model

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Groda posted:

Variable-geometry Hercules?

Well, it certainly wasn't in the same shape after it landed!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

Its not a mistake its a feature limitation.

Said the GA-ASI software engineers

hobbesmaster posted:

You laugh but Lockheed has put out draft plans to put floats on a C-130.

I'd provide comments on all the other absolutely ludicrous Naval Aviation proposals regarding tanking/COD aircraft but I see that's basically already been covered.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Not really, it's a civil regulation. Some of the stuff Big Safari does would turn the FAA's hair white. That said, I think some mil aircraft (like the C-130) fall under the type cert for their civil counterparts when operated in civilian fleets.

Oh jesus, you've said the magic words of "BS".

Big Safari: where "risk acceptance" is simply a matter of writing a blank check tied to a large enough checking account.

But seriously, that's basically the level of risk acceptance involved in a lot of areas of what BS touches.

YF19pilot posted:

Well, it certainly wasn't in the same shape after it landed!

lol

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

If a f-111b can operate off a carrier a regional jet can too!

I want nothing less than a carrier version of a tanker version of Concorde.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Big Safari: where "risk acceptance" is simply a matter of writing a blank check tied to a large enough checking account.

This applies to some smaller mil-contract civil aircraft as well. It's amazing what you can get away with after applying a single "Experimental" sticker to the side of a King Air 350.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can I just say that I'm very sad this didn't happen.

What's Big Safari?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrLonghair posted:

They tried once.

Once.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Fucknag posted:

They tried once.

Once.

The Ohio replacement needs an organic CAP capacity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saunders–Roe SR.A/1

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Can I just say that I'm very sad this didn't happen.

What's Big Safari?

I wondered the same and it is... it's actually named that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Safari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Platystemon posted:

Saunders–Roe SR.A/1

That one wasn't supersonic and has no place in Our Modern Navy, unlike the Sea Dart which successfully broke the sound barrier! (Before it exploded, I mean)